Early look at 2021 Men's Swimming Recruiting

30,511 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
#16 PETER THOMPSON SENDS VERBAL COMMITMENT TO VIRGINIA FOR 2021-22: sorry for the poor formatting on mobile, but link here - https://swimswam.com/16-peter-thompson-sends-verbal-commitment-to-virginia-for-2021-22/
HBear
swimmer19 said:

#13 Trent Frandson: "I am honored and excited to announce my verbal commitment to University of California, Berkeley to continue my swimming and academic career with an amazing team and coaching staff. I want to thank my family, coaches and friends for all of the support. GO BEARS"

#13 TRENT FRANDSON MAKES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL FOR 2021

(#29 Nat, #1 IA) // SwimSwam #13

Welcome, Trent! We are thrilled to have you here.
CAL COMMIT FRANDSON BREAKS 35-YEAR-OLD RECORD WITH 1:35.6 200 FR AT IOWA STATES

Class of '21 commit Frandson with the aforementioned record in the title and '20 commit Forrest Frazier holding his own, too:

IC City High kicked off the 2020 Iowa Boys' State Championships with a new State Record in the 200 medley relay. Caleb Coons led them off with a 23.95 back split, but they trailed IC West, who got a 23.15 leadoff from James Pinter. Forrest Frazier then brought City High into the lead with his 23.76 breast split. Isaac Weigel (fly- 22.36) and Bryce Edens (free- 21.51) maintained the lead as they won in 1:31.58, narrowly holding off West (1:31.86).

Following that relay, Frazier set State Records in both of his individual events. He took down the 4-year-old 200 IM record by a second in 1:45.96, marking his first swim under 1:46. Frazier then dropped a second from his own State Record with his 53.16 in the 100 breast. He was just a hundredth away from his best in the 100 free, leading off in 45.70.

We saw another Cal commit set a State Record, as Ankeny's Trent Frandson took down a 35-year-old record in the 200 free. He broke 1:36 for the first time, dominating in 1:35.68. He still has another year to lower that record further. Frandson also won the 500 free in 4:26.27, but was a few seconds off the State Record he set last year. He led off the 400 free relay in a lifetime best 43.93 and anchored the 200 free relay in 19.99.
HBear
With over 75 offers, Frandson chooses Cal over Texas and N.C. State

"In the end it was really close between the three schools," Frandson said. "But the tipping point was the education at Cal. It's the best public university in the nation, and I saw my swimming as an opportunity to get a top-notch education as well as going to arguably the best swimming program in the nation."
HBear
ALEXY BREAKS 29-YEAR-OLD RECORD, BORGES BREAK'S KILLION'S 34-YEAR-OLD RECORD AT NJ STATES

Following their State Team Tournament, New Jersey swimmers competed in the 2020 Meet of Champions, which stands as the individual state championships. Cal commit Jack Alexy, a Delbarton junior, broke a 29-year-old Meet Record in the 50 free, hitting the wall in 20.08. That's just a hundredth shy of a lifetime best and took down the former record of 20.27 set by Delran's Jason Rosenbaum in 1991.

Alexy swept the sprint titles, racing to a 44.08 in the 100 free. His lifetime best there is a 42.87 from 2019 Winter Juniors. Alexy also posted anchor splits of 19.70 in the 200 free relay and 45.26 in the 400 free relay.

---

Article also features mention of fellow top recruit (still publicly uncommitted) Matt Fallon:

"Pingry School's Matt Fallon took down the Meet Record in the 100 breast, 2 tenths shy of a lifetime best in 54.21. That clipped a tenth off his record from last year. Fallon set a lifetime best in prelims of the 200 IM with a 1:47.72. He went on to win the final in 1:50.90."
swimmer19
TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE BOYS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2021

6. Jack Alexy (Previous Rank: #5) Somerset Hills YMCA The Delbarton School Mendham, NJ **Verbally committed to Cal**
Best Times: 100 free 42.87, 200 free 1:35.52, 50 free 20.07, 500 free 4:26.25, 200 back 1:46.19
Speaking of freestylers with huge frames, Jack Alexy is another of the class's top relay threats. He's one of the tallest in the class (6'7 as of last year) and has one of those long, galloping strokes that makes a short course pool look well, short. Alexy has the best 100 free in the class by a solid amount. Here's that swim with Alexy in lane 2 in the black cap. He definitely gets a little sloppy towards the end of the race, but when that stroke is clicking, Alexy looks like a big-league freestyler. His 500 free isn't eye-popping yet, but could very well develop as his third event at the college level. If not, a 20.0 in the 50 is no small feat, even though it looks less impressive than it should with all the 19s in this class. Alexy is another huge long course performer he's been 22.9 and 49.6 in long course meters, arguably better even than his short course times. There's probably an argument to flip-flop Alexy with Aikins at #5, if you value those superior 100/200 times over multi-stroke versatility.

14.Trent Frandson (Previous Rank: #13) Central Iowa Aquatics Ankeny Senior High School Ankeny, IA **Verbally committed to Cal**
Best Times: 1650 free 15:12.92, 1000 free 9:23.28, 500 free 4:20.40, 200 free 1:35.68, 100 free 43.93, 50 free 20.75
Frandson fits the profile of that rare, rangy freestyle recruit we tend to see only once or so in each class. For his part, Frandson is more of a distance swimmer just starting to get in touch with his speed. His biggest drops since his sophomore ranking have come in the 200 free (1:37.7 to 1:35.6) and 100 free (45.1 to 43.9). But he's also continued to progress as a distance swimmer, cutting 15 seconds from his mile and three from his 500. One high-end comp for Frandson might be Townley Haas, who was a slightly better distance swimmer (14:59/8:53/4:17) as a junior, but a similar mid-sprinter (43.8/1:35.1). Frandson's most recent drops were in the 100/200 as well he was 1:36 and 44.6 coming out of Winter Juniors, but cut more time at Iowa's state meet in February. On tape, though, Frandson looks like a distance guy. Here he is in a 500 free (the video is incorrectly titled as East Juniors, but it's the West meet, with Frandson up in lane 6 in a black cap and suit). He's got the smooth stroke and lack of a steady flutter kick that makes him look like he's swimming a mile, but he keeps up with a field of guys who look like they're sprinting. Even down to the 200 free (Frandson is in lane 7 at the top of the screen), there's not a lot of kick, but a very smooth, efficient stroke with a nice low breath. Frandson will probably have to improve his kick and learn how to up his tempo a little more to contend in the 500 in the NCAA, but he looks like the type of 500 guy who can contribute on 800 and even 400 free relays with his speed.

BEST OF THE REST
Sprint Free
Backstroke
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Sequel to "Early look at 2021 Men's Swimming Recruiting", courtesy of Swimswam?

WAY TOO EARLY RECRUIT RANKS: BOYS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2022
HBear
KAMAL MUHAMMAD RECLASSIFIES TO CLASS OF 2022; COMMITS TO VIRGINIA

11 days after the recruiting period officially opened for the high school class of 2022, rising juniors, the University of Virginia has landed the first new (public) commitment of the class. Kamal Muhammad, who was originally part of the class of 2021 but who has reclassified to 2022.

Muhammad is the son of Sabir Muhammad, who was a 25-time All-American swimmer at Stanford. Sabir Muhammad broke 10 American Records in his career and won both silver and bronze at the 2000 World Short Course Swimming Championships.

As per this list, Matt Fallon, Tyler Lu, Hayden Zheng, and Matthew Fenlon are still uncommitted from the top-20 and HM ranks (Aidan Regan verbaled to Indiana).
swimmer19
EUROPEAN JUNIOR CHAMPION ROBIN HANSON OF SWEDEN CHOOSES CAL FOR 2021

"I'm very excited to announce my commitment to swim and study at the University of California, Berkeley! Thank you to everyone who has helped me and believed in me all this time. Go Bears!"

TOP TIMES (LCM / SCY CONV.)
  • 50 free 22.61 / 19.66
  • 100 free 49.05 / 42.97
  • 200 free 1:46.93 / 1:32.90
  • 400 free 3:50.53 / 4:17.27
  • 50 fly 24.17 / 21.60
  • 100 fly 54.14 / 47.38
  • 200 IM 2:04.09 / 1:47.01

Last season, with his converted bests, Hanson would've been Cal's #1 200 freestyler. He would've also been #3 on the roster in the 50, 100 and 500 free. At the 2020 Pac-12 Championships, which Cal dominated, Hanson would've won the 200 free conference crown, while he would've been a 500 free A-finalist and on the A/B bubble in the 50 and 100 free. His converted 200 free best would've also gotten him an invite to the 2020 NCAA Championships, where he would've been tied for the 10-seed.

Hanson joins #6 Jack Alexy, #14 Trent Frandson, Jacob Soderlund, Kai Crews, Michael MacGillivray and Gabriel Jett in Cal's 2025 class.
OBear073akaSMFan
swimmer19 said:

"I'm very excited to announce my commitment to swim and study at the University of California, Berkeley! Thank you to everyone who has helped me and believed in me all this time. Go Bears!"

• 50 free 22.61 / 19.66
  • 100 free 49.05 / 42.97
  • 400 free 3:50.53 / 4:17.27
  • 50 fly 24.17 / 21.60
  • 100 fly 54.14 / 47.38
  • 200 IM 2:04.09 / 1:47.01

Last season, with his converted bests, Hanson would've been Cal's #1 200 freestyler. He would've also been #3 on the roster in the 50, 100 and 500 free. At the 2020 Pac-12 Championships, which Cal dominated, Hanson would've won the 200 free conference crown, while he would've been a 500 free A-finalist and on the A/B bubble in the 50 and 100 free. His converted 200 free best would've also gotten him an invite to the 2020 NCAA Championships, where he would've been tied for the 10-seed.

Hanson joins #6 Jack Alexy, #14 Trent Frandson, Jacob Soderlund, Kai Crews, Michael MacGillivray and Gabriel Jett in Cal's 2025 class.
Would Hanson be our top recruit so far? Looked at the latest collegesswimming ranking and has Frandson at #11 and Alexy at #20. Has the Collegeswimming rankings not been updated yet?
longseeker
As of yesterday, College, Swimming had not listed him despite listing tons of other foreign swimmers. How does that happen?
BRBear
Best not to look too hard at the Collegeswimming.com rankings. Swimmers either enter themselves manually or get pulled in from meets that have results indexed on the site. It is in no way an authority on who is actually coming to NCAA swimming.
The rankings themselves are also all algorithmically generated from the percentile scores of a swimmers events, but it rewards maybe up to six events? It can be easily confounded by foreign swimmers with SCM times, since most of the Americans aren't competing in those specific events. It also overrates swimmers that are decent in many events over those with real scoring potential in a few, which is probably what's happening with Frandson and Alexy. For a more accurate--though subjective--ranking I'd look at SwimSwam's top 20. While I often disagree with it they mostly use common sense.
Hanson is most definitely #1 for Cal's class, and potentially #1 overall. Have to see how his turns translate to short course, but his 1:46 200 is up there for single best swim in the class. Hayes' 200 fly, Grimm's sprint backstrokes, and Frankel's 100 fly would also be up there. Grimm seems like he might have the most pure fast twitch potential, and he, Hayes, and Connery are very versatile, but then none of them go from 50-400 like Hanson. They're also younger and likely missed out on more improvement than Hanson due to the shutdown. Overall I'd put Hanson and Grimm as the biggest immediate impacts (especially given their relay value), but some of the other Americans probably have potential to catch up. Either way he's a huge get with the flexibility to swim either middle distance or sprints, the 50 being an event of significant concern going forward that he helps shore up.

I do wonder if there are any others in the pipeline. Bears are losing Julian, Hoffer, Mefford, Grieshop, Carr, and now Yeadon next year; that's six multi event All-Americans, four of them out-of-staters, with only Alexy, Hanson, and Frandson as likely scholarship recipients coming in. Feels like there might be a little more money floating around for some lucky European.
OBear073akaSMFan
BRBear said:

Best not to look too hard at the Collegeswimming.com rankings. Swimmers either enter themselves manually or get pulled in from meets that have results indexed on the site. It is in no way an authority on who is actually coming to NCAA swimming.
The rankings themselves are also all algorithmically generated from the percentile scores of a swimmers events, but it rewards maybe up to six events? It can be easily confounded by foreign swimmers with SCM times, since most of the Americans aren't competing in those specific events. It also overrates swimmers that are decent in many events over those with real scoring potential in a few, which is probably what's happening with Frandson and Alexy. For a more accurate--though subjective--ranking I'd look at SwimSwam's top 20. While I often disagree with it they mostly use common sense.
Hanson is most definitely #1 for Cal's class, and potentially #1 overall.
Looks like Collegeswimming.com has now included Hanson at #6. Frandson at #12 and Alexy at #21
swan
I thought it was going to be very difficult to somehow replace the stud All-Americans who graduated in 2020 (Zheng Quah, Pawel Sendyk, Mike Jensen) and expected to depart in 2021 (Hoffer, Grieshop, Julian, Carr, Mefford and recent transfer Yeadon), but I have to say, Dave Durden is bringing in a ton of talent in the current frosh and also next year's class. It is somewhat oddly skewed towards freestylers, but there is enough pure swimming talent to make me think we will develop weapons in fly and IM. I think freshmen Seeliger and Lasco are impact swimmers, with Frazier, Matt Jensen and Dare Rose having outside chances of making our NCAA squad. Among the 2021 recruits, Robin Hanson is the jewel, with both Alexy and Frandson projecting to be early NCAA scorers.
BRBear
swan said:

I thought it was going to be very difficult to somehow replace the stud All-Americans who graduated in 2020 (Zheng Quah, Pawel Sendyk, Mike Jensen) and expected to depart in 2021 (Hoffer, Grieshop, Julian, Carr, Mefford and recent transfer Yeadon), but I have to say, Dave Durden is bringing in a ton of talent in the current frosh and also next year's class. It is somewhat oddly skewed towards freestylers, but there is enough pure swimming talent to make me think we will develop weapons in fly and IM. I think freshmen Seeliger and Lasco are impact swimmers, with Frazier, Matt Jensen and Dare Rose having outside chances of making our NCAA squad. Among the 2021 recruits, Robin Hanson is the jewel, with both Alexy and Frandson projecting to be early NCAA scorers.
It'd be mildly disappointing if Frazier doesn't at least qualify for NCAAs as a freshman since his junior year high school time is only a few hundredths off what it took this year in the 100. Jensen is a bit of a mystery since he PA high school state got shut down before the finals of his best event, the 100 free. Rose is also interesting, since his long course times make it seem like he'd potentially be an immediate scoring factor, but he doesn't have the yards tomes to go with it yet.
Those three for 2021 are definitely the standouts, especially in a not very deep or middle distance heavy class. Probably still want to get another true sprinter in there though to go with Alexy and the Swedes in the 200, but maybe Jensen or Lasco develop their speed. My concern is still that between all the seniors graduating this year -- at least six major scorers -- that's a lot of finals spots to make up even if the five coming in this year all pan out quickly.
swan
BRBear said:

swan said:

It'd be mildly disappointing if Frazier doesn't at least qualify for NCAAs as a freshman since his junior year high school time is only a few hundredths off what it took this year in the 100. Jensen is a bit of a mystery since he PA high school state got shut down before the finals of his best event, the 100 free. Rose is also interesting, since his long course times make it seem like he'd potentially be an immediate scoring factor, but he doesn't have the yards tomes to go with it yet.
Those three for 2021 are definitely the standouts, especially in a not very deep or middle distance heavy class. Probably still want to get another true sprinter in there though to go with Alexy and the Swedes in the 200, but maybe Jensen or Lasco develop their speed. My concern is still that between all the seniors graduating this year -- at least six major scorers -- that's a lot of finals spots to make up even if the five coming in this year all pan out quickly.
In no way did I wish to minimize the loss of the Fab Five of Hoffer, Grieshop, Julian, Carr, and Mefford. As freshmen all five scored at NCAAs where the Bears lost to Texas by 11.5 points, despite being blanked in the 100 free with Lynch, Hoffer, Sendyk and Jensen swimming the event for the Bears. As sophomores, they all played important roles in going to Austin and returning with the championship in March 2019. This past March Durden had the boys peaking heading in to NCAAs before Covid 19 forced the cancellation of the meet. I know that Dave was pretty confident that the team was poised to retain their crown. This year is so weird with the continuing impact of Covid that has disrupted training for most of the swimming programs around the country. Nevertheless, the Bears will be among the favorites to win again in March 2021. All in all, quite a four year run for this group of athletes..

With regard to the recruits, Frazier's best time is from his junior year, so the fact of him not having a more recent PB leads me to see him as having the potential to be an NCAA scorer, but he should be able to make the NCAA cut in his best event. He has solid training partners in Reece, Hugo , Jacques Laeuffer and Jason Louser.

I see Matt Jensen competing for a role in the 4X100 free relay for the spots vacated by Sendyk and brother Michael. I am also interested to see if he can drop time in his second best event, the 100 fly as he possibly the only sprint fly recruit in the classes of 2019,2020 and 2021.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Sean Swift (#119 Nat, #10 CA) => Bears!
(had originally verballed to IU)

https://instagr.am/p/CF57G9NnRDA

Breaststroker + IMer

Swim club = Sierra Marlins, hails from Sac.

----------

• UPDATE (Swimswam) ->
BREASTSTROKER, IMER SEAN SWIFT DECOMMITS FROM INDIANA; CHOOSES CAL INSTEAD

----------
swimmer19
EVAN PETTY, ONE OF TOP REMAINING RECRUITS IN CLASS OF 2021, COMMITS TO CAL

Evan Petty, who has been one of the hottest names in the early returns to racing after the coronavirus pandemic, has verbally committed to the defending NCAA Champion Cal Golden Bears.

A senior at Ensworth High School, Petty is expected to join the Golden Bears in the fall of 2021, and was one of the top remaining recruits in the class to commit.

Petty celebrated his commitment, announced last Tuesday, with two more best times over the weekend at a Nashville Aquatic Club intrasquad. There he posted best times in the 50 yard free and 200 yard back.

Best Times in Yards:
  • 50 free 20.74*
  • 100 free 46.06
  • 100 back 47.99*
  • 200 back 1:46.35*
  • 100 fly 50.01
  • 200 fly 2:04.38
  • 200 IM 1:50.63*
* Best times swum since meets resumed this summer after coronavirus quarantines.

----

Welcome, Evan! We are thrilled to have you here.
swimmer19
No 2022 Recruit thread yet, but we have landed the top recruit in that class - Zachary Tan.

Welcome, Zachary! Thrilled to have you on the team.

#1 RECRUIT IN CLASS, ZACHARY TAN, VERBALS TO CAL BEARS (2022)

"I am excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at the University of California Berkeley! I would like to thank my parents for their unwavering support, and all the coaches I have met in my journey who have believed in me. Go Bears!!"

TOP TIMES (SCY)
  • 100 free 45.70
  • 200 free 1:39.54
  • 100 back 49.74
  • 200 back 1:46.56
  • 100 breast 55.43
  • 200 breast 1:58.17
  • 200 IM 1:47.23
  • 400 IM 3:48.84
OBear073akaSMFan
Cal looks to have plucked Top remaining regarded recruit #38 Nat #1 Wisc Ziyad Saleem.

https://swimswam.com/top-remaining-2021-commit-ziyad-saleem-makes-verbal-pledge-to-cal/

Quote:

February 13th, 2021 College, College Recruiting, Featured recruits, News, Pac-12
Fitter and Faster Swim Camps is the proud sponsor of SwimSwam's College Recruiting Channel and all commitment news. For many, swimming in college is a lifelong dream that is pursued with dedication and determination. Fitter and Faster is proud to honor these athletes and those who supported them on their journey.
Ziyad Saleem, who hails from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, has announced his verbal commitment to the University of California, Berkeley's class of 2025.
Quote:

"I am excited to announce my commitment to continue my academic and swimming career at the University of California, Berkeley. Thank you to my family, friends and coaches for all the support. Go Bears!"
Saleem is a senior at Rufus King International High School; he swims year-round with Schroeder YMCA Swim Team. He had originally committed to the University of Iowa before the program was cut. Since then, he has dropped gobs of time in both SCY (-.8 in the 100 free, -6.1 in the 200 free, -.36 in the 50 back, -1.7 in the 100 back, -3 in the 200 back, -.8 in the 100 fly) and LCM (-3 in the 100 free, -1.6 in the 100 back, -4.3 in the 200 back). Last weekend at the 41st Annual Schroeder C+ Meet, he swam under 47 seconds for the first time in the 100 back (46.98), which is an unofficial Wisconsin Swimming LSC record. It would have been the 4th-fastest time in Iowa history. Saleem also lowered his PB in the 200 free (1:41.61) in prelims before scratching the final.
Saleem competed at U.S. Open Des Moines in November where he picked up Olympic Trials Wave I cuts in the 100m back (55.54) and 200m back (2:01.30), placing 8th in both events. A week later he added a PB in the 100m free (53.33) at the WEST November LCM Time Trials.
Best SCY times:
  • 200 back 1:42.93
  • 100 back 46.98
  • 50 back 22.85
  • 200 free 1:41.61
  • 100 free 45.53
  • 100 fly 50.42
Saleem will join the Golden Bears in the fall of 2021 with Evan Petty, Gabriel Jett, Jack Alexy, Jacob Soderlund, Kai Crews, Michael McGillivray, Robin Hanson, Sean Swift, and Trent Frandson.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear said:

ALEXY BREAKS 29-YEAR-OLD RECORD, BORGES BREAK'S KILLION'S 34-YEAR-OLD RECORD AT NJ STATES

Following their State Team Tournament, New Jersey swimmers competed in the 2020 Meet of Champions, which stands as the individual state championships. Cal commit Jack Alexy, a Delbarton junior, broke a 29-year-old Meet Record in the 50 free, hitting the wall in 20.08. That's just a hundredth shy of a lifetime best and took down the former record of 20.27 set by Delran's Jason Rosenbaum in 1991.

JUNIOR NATIONAL TEAMER JACK ALEXY SWIM FIRST-EVER SUB-20 50 FREESTYLE

Current USA National Junior Teamer Jack Alexy claimed three wins at the meet, posting the fastest times in the 50 freestyle, 100 backstroke, and 200 backstroke. In the 50, Alexy cracked the 20 second barrier for the first time ever with a 19.84 prelim swim. In the finals, he was even quicker with a 19.79 for the victory. Prior to this meet, he had a PB of 20.07 which he clocked at the 2019 YMCA Short Course National Championships.

In the 100 backstroke final, Alexy got under 48 for the first time, swimming a 47.56, improving upon his 2019 swim of 48.15 at the Speedo Winter Junior Nationals - East. In the 200, Alexy was a little bit shy of his 1:46.19 best time, hitting a 1:48.34 for the win.

Alexy will make the move to California next year as he has committed to swim for the University of California, Berkeley back in October of 2019. Alexy will likely be an asset to Cal right away next season. His 19.79 50 free and 100 backstroke would have both earned 2nd place at Cal's most recent meet against USC. His current best time in the 100 freestyle of 42.87 meanwhile would have been a winning time for Cal ahead of USC's Nikola Miljenic.
swan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

HBear said:

JUNIOR NATIONAL TEAMER JACK ALEXY SWIM FIRST-EVER SUB-20 50 FREESTYLE

Current USA National Junior Teamer Jack Alexy claimed three wins at the meet, posting the fastest times in the 50 freestyle, 100 backstroke, and 200 backstroke. In the 50, Alexy cracked the 20 second barrier for the first time ever with a 19.84 prelim swim. In the finals, he was even quicker with a 19.79 for the victory. Prior to this meet, he had a PB of 20.07 which he clocked at the 2019 YMCA Short Course National Championships.

In the 100 backstroke final, Alexy got under 48 for the first time, swimming a 47.56, improving upon his 2019 swim of 48.15 at the Speedo Winter Junior Nationals - East. In the 200, Alexy was a little bit shy of his 1:46.19 best time, hitting a 1:48.34 for the win.

Alexy will make the move to California next year as he has committed to swim for the University of California, Berkeley back in October of 2019. Alexy will likely be an asset to Cal right away next season. His 19.79 50 free and 100 backstroke would have both earned 2nd place at Cal's most recent meet against USC. His current best time in the 100 freestyle of 42.87 meanwhile would have been a winning time for Cal ahead of USC's Nikola Miljenic.

Jack Alexy's 50 Free swim is at the 1:20:20 mark. His younger brother Rob finishes second.
Jack now has the 5th fastest 50 free time in the 2021 class, to go along with his class best time in the 100 free (42.87) and second fastest 200 (1:35.52).

swan
Bump ( for Schroeder71)
Schroeder71
Thanks, swan! The ten member 2021 recruit class appears formidable and will go a long way toward filling spots left open by the eight graduating seniors. What is your best guess on which swimmer might fill the butterfly void for individual events plus Hoffer's medley relay legs? GO BEARS!
BRBear
Schroeder71 said:

Thanks, swan! The ten member 2021 recruit class appears formidable and will go a long way toward filling spots left open by the eight graduating seniors. What is your best guess on which swimmer might fill the butterfly void for individual events plus Hoffer's medley relay legs? GO BEARS!
I ain't swan, but I can weigh in. The incoming class is talented but very freestyle heavy. Assuming none of hoffer, Julian, or B. Mefford stick around for a fifth year the best remaining 100 butterflier this year would be Jensen, but he has had a disappointing freshman year and right now doesn't look like a great option.
Only incoming swimmer that seems like a flier at all is Jett, but he tends towards 200, same as Rose. Could see either of those guys coming down for the 400MR (more likely Rose, since we know he's already good for a 1:42 200, but Jett is rapidly improving), but probably not the 200MR. Hanson also has a 54.14 in season 100 LCM fly best, which is hard to project but might translate to him being the guy.
For the 200MR, most likely option is that one of the sprinters switches over, as often happens; I guess Seeliger is most likely being the fastest overall. Wildcard for both is Lasco; his best is only a 48 but it was from an in season meet and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was actually the best. However unless someone like Saleem has a big drop it's probably still worth it to keep him on backstroke. I guess my prediction as of now is Seeliger 200MR (not very optimistic here, hoping for a 20.low-ish) and Rose or Hanson for the 400MR (more optimistic; seeing some untapped 100 fly potential, especially for Rose if he focuses more on it or--unlikely but we can hope--hasn't been fully tapered this year and still has a big drop coming in his 200).
OBear073akaSMFan
Due to missing one yr coukd any of the Bears go a 5th yr? Thought i saw some posting on swimswan that mentioned Carr and Mefford's 5th year.
swan
BRBear said:

Schroeder71 said:

I ain't swan, but I can weigh in. The incoming class is talented but very freestyle heavy. Assuming none of hoffer, Julian, or B. Mefford stick around for a fifth year the best remaining 100 butterflier this year would be Jensen, but he has had a disappointing freshman year and right now doesn't look like a great option.
Only incoming swimmer that seems like a flier at all is Jett, but he tends towards 200, same as Rose. Could see either of those guys coming down for the 400MR (more likely Rose, since we know he's already good for a 1:42 200, but Jett is rapidly improving), but probably not the 200MR. Hanson also has a 54.14 in season 100 LCM fly best, which is hard to project but might translate to him being the guy.
For the 200MR, most likely option is that one of the sprinters switches over, as often happens; I guess Seeliger is most likely being the fastest overall. Wildcard for both is Lasco; his best is only a 48 but it was from an in season meet and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was actually the best. However unless someone like Saleem has a big drop it's probably still worth it to keep him on backstroke. I guess my prediction as of now is Seeliger 200MR (not very optimistic here, hoping for a 20.low-ish) and Rose or Hanson for the 400MR (more optimistic; seeing some untapped 100 fly potential, especially for Rose if he focuses more on it or--unlikely but we can hope--hasn't been fully tapered this year and still has a big drop coming in his 200).
I don't have much to add to BRBear's fine analysis. The last two classes have been very light on sprint Fly, with Matt Jensen's 46.58 PB in the 100 Fly swam in high school the best in not only the last two classes, but also has not been bested by a 2021 recruit. But as BRB noted, Matt had a pretty rough first year.
Most of the sound bites from interviews with the current seniors sure make it sound as they will all be moving on, but obviously our best solution would be for at least one stud flyer to decide to continue to train with Durden while working on a graduate certificate. We shall see.
swan
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Due to missing one yr coukd any of the Bears go a 5th yr? Thought i saw some posting on swimswan that mentioned Carr and Mefford's 5th year.
Like football and basketball, to cite the two most followed college sports, for swimmers (and divers) the 2020-2021 season does not count against eligibility. So, all of our super seniors could come back for another year, but that will involve a bit of scholarship juggling.
swimmer19
#20 HANK RIVERS HANDS VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL FOR 2022-23

"I am super excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at Cal Berkeley! Thank you to everyone who has supported me to get to where I am today. Go bears!"

Rivers did swim at 2020 U.S. Open in Irvine. He took nearly .8 off his previous PB in the 100m breast to go 1:05.21. He also competed in the 100m free (53.37) and 200m breast (2:31.48). At the TYR 18&U Spring Cup Irvine at the end of April, he notched a PB in the 50m free (24.39).

Best Times:
  • 100 breast 53.91
  • 200 breast 2:05.68
  • 50 free 21.03
  • 100 free 45.05
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

TOP 20 NCAA SWIMMING RECRUITS IN THE BOYS HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2021

6. Jack Alexy (Previous Rank: #5) Somerset Hills YMCA The Delbarton School Mendham, NJ **Verbally committed to Cal**

Ccajon2
Coach Dave Durden is an Amazing recruiter. Every year, at least 2-3 top 20 swimmers committ to Cal. There's not a State or a Country that he Can't get a player to committ from. If the Cal mens hoop coach had 5% of Coach Durdens recruiting acumen, Cal would make the big dance every year.
OBear073akaSMFan
Ccajon2 said:

Coach Dave Durden is an Amazing recruiter. Every year, at least 2-3 top 20 swimmers committ to Cal. There's not a State or a Country that he Can't get a player to committ from. If the Cal mens hoop coach had 5% of Coach Durdens recruiting acumen, Cal would make the big dance every year.
Well you go say that about most other Cal sport teams if they could recruit better....
bearchamp
I was a product of Cal aquatics and my sense was that we players recruited the new guys more than the coaches did.
swan
bearchamp said:

I was a product of Cal aquatics and my sense was that we players recruited the new guys more than the coaches did.
Interesting input bearchamp; how does this compare with the recruiting approach of the other top programs like Texas, Florida, Georgia etc?
bearchamp
I don't know about the other schools, but assume similar process.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
swimmer19 said:

• Last season, with his converted bests, Hanson would've been Cal's #1 200 freestyler. At the 2020 Pac-12 Championships, which Cal dominated, Hanson would've won the 200 free conference crown. His converted 200 free best would've also gotten him an invite to the 2020 NCAA Championships, where he would've been tied for the 10-seed.

HANSON TAKES DOWN NEARLY 3-DECADES OLD SWEDISH 200 FREE RECORD

2021 LEN EUROPEAN AQUATICS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Most of the men in tonight's 200m free semi-finals keep their cards close to their vests.

Keeping pace as the 6th seed was Robin Hanson, with the Swede firing off a time of 1:46.50 to check-in not only with a new lifetime best but also a new national record.

Entering this meet, Hanson's personal best in this event rested at the 1:46.93 he notched at the 2019 European Junior Championships, a time which rendered him as the gold medalist there in Kazan.

Tonight, however, splitting 51.76/54.74, Hanson dipped into new territory, slicing .43 off of his previous PB to take over Anders Holmertz's NR of 1:46.76 that's been on the books since 1992.

Hanson has committed to swim for the University of California class of 2025.
    Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.