And now ... Womens Soccer

3,697 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LodeBear
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't the media print./run a good news story about Cal Athletics? Allegations against WSoccer Coach McGuire
calbears4ever
They should've just terminated him and gotten the mental health counselors involved to question the team. If it doesn't work, they need to press charges for abuse.
OBear073akaSMFan
Please don't throw out names like Sam Crosson unless you have heard of complaints about him. I wish the school have investigated Neil McGuire rather than have the news do an investigative report about this.
calbears4ever
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Please don't throw out names like Sam Crosson unless you have heard of complaints about him. I wish the school have investigated Neil McGuire rather than have the news do an investigative report about this.

I have not heard of anything other than what is going on with Cal WSoc it was a mistake to assume otherwise with other Cal coaches. Knowlton and his staff need to take all allegations seriously.
senorbeta
At this point you have a few women who don't like McGuire's style. I find the whole thing a Nothingburger until there's more than 4 women not liking him. During his tenure, there's been no mass exodus of transfers. Competing at a very high level in athletics and academics is not for everyone.
Alex Morgan played for him and she supports the program, fwiw.
Bear8995
The reporter says she has 12 sources, not that one complaint should necessarily be ignored. There are likely others who are afraid to come forward. So let's say 25 players over the course of his 13 years at Cal. 2 players/year. IMHO, there are always going to be some players who are unhappy.

I see both sides. I have heard he is one of those over the top jerk coaches. They exist everywhere, not just in college, not just in soccer, and not just in women's sports. The list is long. The list of these types of coaches who are successful is also fairly long. He is also not so successful that this kind of behavior can be overlooked. If he has won some titles (or even one), then perhaps I'd be willing to give him more rope. The fact that he signed the #1 class this year even though it is well known he is a jerk says something in his favor. I find it hard to believe that women are beating down the door to play here for a jerk given our history of results. I love Cal but it isn't like McGuire has won a ton of titles like Geno has in women's hoops.

The one woman who is suing because she was cut and was a walk on? Sorry, even if he is a complete jerk, you are a walk on and aren't entitled to anything.

It is very embarrassing for the university that it has come to this. Would prefer for him to win with class, but would also prefer that he won more. I'd be more concerned by what was described as erratic behavior. Could be a sign of something bigger going on (e.g., personal issues).
Alkiadt
calbears4ever said:

They should've just terminated him and gotten the mental health counselors involved to question the team. If it doesn't work, they need to press charges for abuse.
Overreaction here.
College sports is competitive.
You're never going to have all the players like you, especially ones who aren't getting playing time.
This is a nothing story. Cal isn't having a mass exodus of players, and the university can't comment at this time due to litigation. And the coach evidently has far more former players behind him (Alex Morgan for example), than trying to discredit him. And he has the #1 recruiting class coming in.
I'm not sympathetic. "Press charges for abuse"?
Laughable. You don't like the coach or the program,? Quit or transfer. Especially a walk on.

And whatever happened to the highly publicized sexual harassment issue with the water girl within the football program a year or so ago? No longer in the news. No public follow up in the press that I can find. Hmmm. Nice accusations though...
Schroeder71
There are different coaching styles at all levels of sports. I was upset twice in my life by coaching decisions that did not seem fair. I know nothing about McGuire's situation nor the individual girl's experiences w/ him. However,
he has landed 2 or 3 top-rated recruit classes so he must possess substantial credibility. I would imagine after 12-13 years of leading the Cal program that he is feeling major pressure to produce a championship caliber team.
Both parties have pressure on them to perform...I wouldn't fire a headcoach without specific allegations against him.

GO BEARS!
senorbeta
During my time at Cal, I lived with a number of Cal athletes. If they weren't getting playing time, they almost always made the coach seem like the worst person in the world. Currently, I have a number of family friends on Cal rugby, their words would shock the perception of the coach who I won't refer to by name.
calbears4ever
Alkiadt said:

calbears4ever said:

Overreaction here.
College sports is competitive.
You're never going to have all the players like you, especially ones who aren't getting playing time.
This is a nothing story. Cal isn't having a mass exodus of players, and the university can't comment at this time due to litigation. And the coach evidently has far more former players behind him (Alex Morgan for example), than trying to discredit him. And he has the #1 recruiting class coming in.
I'm not sympathetic. "Press charges for abuse"?
Laughable. You don't like the coach or the program,? Quit or transfer. Especially a walk on.

And whatever happened to the highly publicized sexual harassment issue with the water girl within the football program a year or so ago? No longer in the news. No public follow up in the press that I can find. Hmmm. Nice accusations though...

Yes, college sports are competitive as they are meant to be, but abuse is where the line needs to be drawn. I thankfully had good coaches during my playing days, and even though practices were hard, none of them pushed us to the point of it being considered abuse (I was the starting outside/oppo), and that is how I developed my coaching philosophy with middle school-aged players
HoopDreams
I get the competitive nature of elite level sports, and a coach often have to push their players to improve for individual and team success

But I'm always an advocate of a 'player's coach', and I don't mean the coach should be everyones 'friend'

A coach should have the well being of their players as a top goal, especially for college athletes (and lower).
I think that's related to team success on the field/court and NOT a trade-off in the W and L column
SpartanBear20
Bear8995 said:

The reporter says she has 12 sources, not that one complaint should necessarily be ignored. There are likely others who are afraid to come forward. So let's say 25 players over the course of his 13 years at Cal. 2 players/year. IMHO, there are always going to be some players who are unhappy.

I see both sides. I have heard he is one of those over the top jerk coaches. They exist everywhere, not just in college, not just in soccer, and not just in women's sports. The list is long. The list of these types of coaches who are successful is also fairly long. He is also not so successful that this kind of behavior can be overlooked. If he has won some titles (or even one), then perhaps I'd be willing to give him more rope. The fact that he signed the #1 class this year even though it is well known he is a jerk says something in his favor. I find it hard to believe that women are beating down the door to play here for a jerk given our history of results. I love Cal but it isn't like McGuire has won a ton of titles like Geno has in women's hoops.

The one woman who is suing because she was cut and was a walk on? Sorry, even if he is a complete jerk, you are a walk on and aren't entitled to anything.

It is very embarrassing for the university that it has come to this. Would prefer for him to win with class, but would also prefer that he won more. I'd be more concerned by what was described as erratic behavior. Could be a sign of something bigger going on (e.g., personal issues).

Just because other players don't speak out doesn't mean they do not agree with whichever players did speak to Channel 2 (here is the original story not SI's cliffs notes version). There could be factors such as fear of retaliation why more players don't speak out.
senorbeta
SpartanBear20 said:

Bear8995 said:

Just because other players don't speak out doesn't mean they do not agree with whichever players did speak to Channel 2 (here is the original story not SI's cliffs notes version). There could be factors such as fear of retaliation why more players don't speak out.

Most women on the team have the opportunity to transfer to another school with scholarship, so the fact there have been almost no transfers seems strange if what's being portrayed is true.
LodeBear
if these things are true, how do the incoming recruits still want to come to CAL. esp a highly ranked group?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.