The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

609,827 Views | 8704 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Zippergate
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

So as far as I can tell, Cal88's argument here is:

1. Everyone knew Russia would attack if Ukraine joined NATO, so we should not admit them.

2. NATO did not admit Ukraine.

3. Russia attacked anyway.

4. Something about Nazis.

Blah blah blah.

There is also the part that if Ukrainian citizens want to stop dying and live peacefully all they need to do is surrender their independence to Russia.

BearForce2
sycasey said:

1. Everyone knew Russia would attack if Ukraine joined NATO, so we should not admit them.

Blah blah blah.

All leftist arguments go like this:

1. Trump, Nazi, fascist

2. Russia, Russia, Russia

3. Putin, Hitler, racist

4. blah, blah, blah.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister
Kremlin official 'secretly approaches West to end war in Ukraine'

https://mol.im/a/11111535
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

The main challenge in responding to those kinds of statements is to establish whether they're a reflection of ignorance about the subject, or just plain stupidity.

While Ukraine was not formally a member of NATO, it's as if, in terms of the military investment that NATO has poured into Ukraine. Their armed forces have been extensively trained and equipped by NATO. Around 15,000 Ukrainian troops per year have been trained by NATO since 2013, that is a massive military involvement.

https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/pdf_2018_06/20180724_1806-DEEP-background-ukraine.pdf

Before the start of the war, Ukraine had the best, deepest army in Europe, and was setting up plans to wage a massive military push to clear the Donbass from separatist rebel armies, a war they have been waging for 8 years, with a stretch goal to retake Crimea.

This, and the stated intent of Zelensky's government to acquire nuclear weapons, is what precipitated the Russian invasion. Ukraine has a very large stock of uranium and the technology to produce nuclear weapons, a large segment of Soviet MIC used to be concentrated in that state.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/16/ukraine-may-seek-nuclear-weapons-if-left-out-of-nato-diplomat

Quote:

See below.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

The main challenge in responding to those kinds of statements is to establish whether they're a reflection of ignorance about the subject, or just plain stupidity.

While Ukraine was not formally a member of NATO, it's as if, in terms of the military investment that NATO has poured into Ukraine. Their armed forces have been extensively trained and equipped by NATO. Around 15,000 Ukrainian troops per year have been trained by NATO since 2013, that is a massive military involvement.

https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/pdf_2018_06/20180724_1806-DEEP-background-ukraine.pdf

Before the start of the war, Ukraine had the best, deepest army in Europe, and was setting up plans to wage a massive military push to clear the Donbass from separatist rebel armies, a war they have been waging for 8 years, with a stretch goal to retake Crimea.

This, and the stated intent of Zelensky's government to acquire nuclear weapons, is what precipitated the Russian invasion. Ukraine has a very large stock of uranium and the technology to produce nuclear weapons, a large segment of Soviet MIC used to be concentrated in that state.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/16/ukraine-may-seek-nuclear-weapons-if-left-out-of-nato-diplomat

Quote:

See below.

So your position is that Russia was right to invade?
calbear93
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

After what was allowed to happen in Ukraine, good luck asking any country to give up their nuclear weapons like Ukraine did.
Cal88
In response to posts above - I don't think Russians are committing a lot of war crimes, for the simple reason that the territories they've moved into are largely populated with pro-Russians. I can provide some evidence of this, both from mainstream and independent western media sources, of widespread local support for Russian troops in the Donbass and in places like Mariupol. I think Russia will have no problem integrating those Russophone regions either directly into Russia as they did with Crimea, or as part of a new friendly buffer state.

The nazi ideology is problematic for Russians for several reasons. First, because it's not a marginal phenomenon in Ukraine, it is shared across nearly all Ukrainian militias and paramilitary groups like Azov, Right Sector, C14 etc that officially make up a good part of the Ukrainian armed forces.

They also control the SBU, local equivalent of the KGB, and pretty much terrorize Ukrainian moderates or even the more pragmatic elements within the Ukrainian political class. Those factions are the most violent within the government and have intimidated the more moderate elements within the Ukrainian political class.

To give you a stark example of this state of things, back in March, a member of the official Ukrainian delegation that participated in negotiations with Russian counterparts was killed off by the Ukrainian KGB because he was deemed too moderate:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10582805/Ukrainian-peace-negotiator-shot-dead-amid-claims-Russian-spy.html

Second, the nazi identity in Ukraine is based on Ukrainians considering their racial stock to be more pure than that of Russians, kind of the same way Nazi Germans looked at Slavs. This is particularly problematic because a large minority within Ukraine's borders identify as Russians (and have parents and grandparents who died fighting Nazis in WW2), which makes them subhuman in the eyes of Ukrainian nationalists. You can imagine how people in the Donbass feel about major thoroughfares in Kiev or Lviv being named after Bandera, who led Nazi divisions that their grandfathers fought. Also note that WW2 Soviet memorials across Ukraine were closed off, and the locals in eastern/southern Ukraine prevented from celebrating WW2 Victory Day or even commemorating their fallen ancestors.

Those are the kind of policies and ideological rifts that have fueled the civil war that has been raging in Ukraine since 2014. The attitudes and ideology of the western Ukrainian soldiers that I've posted above are widely shared and propagated within the ranks of the ~100,000 nationalist Ukrainian militias, who dominate the internal security apparatus. That's the ugly ideological underside in the Ukraine conflict that the western media refuse to acknowledge.

That kind of ideology has seeped through the Ukrainian institutions and school curriculum, with the banning of the use of Russian, and of Russian literature and culture. This type of cultural repression is the complete antithesis of western liberal values, which are the values that Ukraine is supposed to champion in this war.

sycasey
Cal88 said:

In response to posts above - I don't think Russians are committing a lot of war crimes, for the simple reason that the territories they've moved into are largely populated with pro-Russians. I can provide some evidence of this, both from mainstream and independent western media sources, of widespread local support for Russian troops in the Donbass and in places like Mariupol. I think Russia will have no problem integrating those Russophone regions either directly into Russia as they did with Crimea, or as part of a new friendly buffer state.
So you think Russia was right to invade this territory. Correct?
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

My position is no different than that of the 70+ notable geopolitical analysts and politicians that I've listed above, people like Chomsky, Mearsheimer, Gary Hart, Bill Bradley, Sam Nunn, Jeffrey Sachs, former US and UK ambassadors to Russia, former US intel analysts, all of whom have stated that the current policies will precipitate a Russian military response that would wreck Ukraine.

I think we (NATO) could have easily prevented the war, simply by pushing Zelensky's govt to adopt Minsk II, as opposed to actively campaigning against it.

French philosopher Montesquieu stated: "those responsible for wars aren't those that start them, but those that actively make these wars unavoidable" (Les responsables des guerres ne sont pas ceux qui les declenchent, mais ceux qui les ont rendues inevitables… )

Basically NATO has been using Ukraine as a fodder in order to bleed Russia, and people like Lindsay Graham, Victoria Nuland or Macron are more than happy to fight Russia up to the last Ukrainian.

My position is that this war shouldn't have been started, and it needs to be stopped.
Unit2Sucks
Cal88 said:

In response to posts above - I don't think Russians are committing a lot of war crimes, for the simple reason that the territories they've moved into are largely populated with pro-Russians. I will never criticize Putin or anything Russia does under his corrupt regime.
fixed it for ya.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

My position is no different than that of the 70+ notable geopolitical analysts and politicians that I've listed above, people like Chomsky, Mearsheimer, Gary Hart, Bill Bradley, Sam Nunn, Jeffrey Sachs, former US and UK ambassadors to Russia, former US intel analysts, all of whom have stated that the current policies will precipitate a Russian military response that would wreck Ukraine.

I think we (NATO) could have easily prevented the war, simply by pushing Zelensky's govt to adopt Minsk II, as opposed to actively campaigning against it.

French philosopher Montesquieu stated: "those responsible for wars aren't those that start them, but those that actively make these wars unavoidable" (Les responsables des guerres ne sont pas ceux qui les declenchent, mais ceux qui les ont rendues inevitables… )

Basically NATO has been using Ukraine as a fodder in order to bleed Russia, and people like Lindsay Graham, Victoria Nuland or Macron are more than happy to fight Russia up to the last Ukrainian.

My position is that this war shouldn't have been started, and it needs to be stopped.
Was Russia right or wrong to invade?
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

He's not going to break character.
BearForce2
"You may not be interested in war but war is interested in you." - Leon Trotsky
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

I really wish it never happened, much more so than you might think. Right or wrong, it was inevitable, just as the US would have invaded Cuba in 1963 had the Soviets not backed down their aggressive military expansion on America's front porch. Had Russia not intervened last year, there might have been an even bigger and more devastating total war later this decade. That conflict became inevitable, for the reasons I and 70+ reasonable people who are more qualified to judge than you or I have highlighted above.

You're approaching geopolitics as a sports fan and a homer, which I understand will be the default position of the general public, particularly in the current social media and MSM jingoistic environment where the conflict is reduced to one-sided cliches that completely ignore local context and history. I am providing a more reasoned analysis based on these factors, as a well-travelled Cal grad should.

We probably both agree that more effort should have been done to avoid this war in the first place (at least I hope so), unless you side with those, like Lindsey Graham and McCain, are very happy to see Ukraine fighting an unwinnable war in order to weaken Russia, and to keep the MIC cash spigot wide open.

Unlike Graham, I don't like the path we're on. It breaks my heart that tens of thousands of Ukrainian men are going to be sacrificed for this policy, including some of my own extended family.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

I really wish it never happened, much more so than you might think. Right or wrong, it was inevitable, just as the US would have invaded Cuba in 1963 had the Soviets not backed down their aggressive military expansion on America's front porch. Had Russia not intervened last year, there might have been an even bigger and more devastating total war later this decade. That conflict became inevitable, for the reasons I and 70+ reasonable people who are more qualified to judge than you or I have highlighted above.
I see, so you think this was just going to happen anyway. No amount of different decisions made within Russia would have prevented it.

Except for the US, NATO, and/or the West. If only we had made different decisions it would all be fine. Do I have that right? Inevitability seems to be a one-way street for you.
Cal88
The simple implementation of the Minsk Accords would have prevented this war.

Instead of requiring their implementation, and fostering measures that would have reconciled Donbass rebels and reintegrated that region into the national Ukrainian fold within a bicultural, decentralized framework, not unlike the ones in place in countries like Belgium, Spain or Canada that make large accommodation for their ethno-linguistic minorities, NATO has actively blocked Minsk II, arming Ukraine to the brim and egging them on to escalate the conflict, putting them through an unwinnable war against Russia.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

Instead of requiring their implementation, and fostering measures that would have reconciled Donbass rebels and reintegrated that region into the national Ukrainian fold within a bicultural, decentralized framework, not unlike the ones in place in countries like Belgium, Spain or Canada that make large accommodation for their ethno-linguistic minorities, NATO has actively blocked Minsk II, arming Ukraine to the brim and egging them on to escalate the conflict, putting them through an unwinnable war against Russia.
Right, so you think NATO has culpability in this war. Does Russia? How much?
Big C
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

You're approaching geopolitics as a sports fan and a homer, which I understand will be the default position of the general public, particularly in the current social media and MSM jingoistic environment where the conflict is reduced to one-sided cliches that completely ignore local context and history. I am providing a more reasoned analysis based on these factors, as a well-travelled Cal grad should.

We probably both agree that more effort should have been done to avoid this war in the first place (at least I hope so), unless you side with those, like Lindsey Graham and McCain, are very happy to see Ukraine fighting an unwinnable war in order to weaken Russia, and to keep the MIC cash spigot wide open.

Unlike Graham, I don't like the path we're on. It breaks my heart that tens of thousands of Ukrainian men are going to be sacrificed for this policy, including some of my own extended family.

Well stated. That said, it might help your case if you would assign Putin his share of the blame. IMO, that would be "most all" of the blame, as he is the one who attacked. If you think he deserves, say 49% of the blame, at least say that. Say something bad about the man. Insult his mother. Something. Anything. Because otherwise, these other posters can call you a Putin fanboy and it looks like you are tacitly admitting it.

As poster sycasey often reminds us, two things can be true. Putin can be the bad guy that's largely responsible for this and it could've been a strategic error to talk of Ukraine being in NATO and there can also be bad guys in Ukraine.

Okay, that's three things, but you get the idea.
Unit2Sucks
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

Well stated. That said, it might help your case if you would assign Putin his share of the blame. IMO, that would be "most all" of the blame, as he is the one who attacked. If you think he deserves, say 49% of the blame, at least say that. Say something bad about the man. Insult his mother. Something. Anything. Because otherwise, these other posters can call you a Putin fanboy and it looks like you are tacitly admitting it.

As poster sycasey often reminds us, two things can be true. Putin can be the bad guy that's largely responsible for this and it could've been a strategic error to talk of Ukraine being in NATO and there can also be bad guys in Ukraine.

We are well beyond the point where there can be any doubt as to what is going on with Cal88. He isn't going to break character and comment on right or wrong when it comes to Putin or Russia. He only comments on sentiment/motivation/blame when it has to do with everyone else.

For example, Russia is continuing to get their ammo dumps blown up because they have a terrible military full of untrained, underpaid people who don't want to be there and have no interest in attacking Ukraine. Rather than adopting "realism" - which is that leaving your freaking munitions stashes completely exposed along a major railway line will result in losses - they blame the Beastie Boys.
Quote:

Russia's ministry of defense has blamed sabotage for the Tuesday morning explosions and damage to the military facility in the Dzhankoi area of northern Crimea, state news agency RIA Novosti reported.

Don't get me wrong. Sabotage is an anthemic song but it's not the reason Putin's army is trash and continuing to step on its dick.

Sorry, where was I? Oh right, Cal88 has spilled a lot of ink extolling the virtuosity of Putin's military and ignoring their many war crimes so that he can focus on the issue he and Putin clearly care deeply about - Nazis in Ukraine but the reality is that Putin's army is garbage and Ukraine is doing far better than Cal88 and Putin's other yes men give them credit for.

There are numerous examples like this.

dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

We are well beyond the point where there can be any doubt as to what is going on with Cal88. He isn't going to break character and comment on right or wrong when it comes to Putin or Russia. He only comments on sentiment/motivation/blame when it has to do with everyone else.

For example, Russia is continuing to get their ammo dumps blown up because they have a terrible military full of untrained, underpaid people who don't want to be there and have no interest in attacking Ukraine. Rather than adopting "realism" - which is that leaving your freaking munitions stashes completely exposed along a major railway line will result in losses - they blame the Beastie Boys.
Quote:

Russia's ministry of defense has blamed sabotage for the Tuesday morning explosions and damage to the military facility in the Dzhankoi area of northern Crimea, state news agency RIA Novosti reported.

Don't get me wrong. Sabotage is an anthemic song but it's not the reason Putin's army is trash and continuing to step on its dick.

Sorry, where was I? Oh right, Cal88 has spilled a lot of ink extolling the virtuosity of Putin's military and ignoring their many war crimes so that he can focus on the issue he and Putin clearly care deeply about - Nazis in Ukraine but the reality is that Putin's army is garbage and Ukraine is doing far better than Cal88 and Putin's other yes men give them credit for.

There are numerous examples like this.

I don't necessarily believe anything the media writes about what is going on over there. There is a fog of war that makes things uncertain.

However, one thing Cal88 is wrong about is that Ukraine can't win the war. They absolutely can if there is a will of the people to do so and so far the will to fight seems strong.

I expect that this will go down as a military disaster for Russia. Their best bet is to declare that they have achieved their primary objectives and sue for peace. Anything else will result in a lot of dead Russians for no reason - just like Afghanistan.

golden sloth
Cal88 said:

No, the only thing that would have prevented this war is Russia deciding they dont want to conquer a separate sovereign country.
calbear93
golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

No, the only thing that would have prevented this war is Russia deciding they dont want to conquer a separate sovereign country.

The devil made them do it.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

I don't necessarily believe anything the media writes about what is going on over there. There is a fog of war that makes things uncertain.

However, one thing Cal88 is wrong about is that Ukraine can't win the war. They absolutely can if there is a will of the people to do so and so far the will to fight seems strong.

I expect that this will go down as a military disaster for Russia. Their best bet is to declare that they have achieved their primary objectives and sue for peace. Anything else will result in a lot of dead Russians for no reason - just like Afghanistan.
Honestly, I think the truest statement is that Russia can't actually "win" this war.

Can they win territory? Yes, probably. But can they actually "win" control of Ukraine, in the long term? No, I don't think so. Their only chance of that was a blitzkrieg that toppled the capital and chased out the leadership in one fell swoop . . . basically exactly what Putin tried at the start of this, sending his tanks towards Kyiv. That attempt has obviously failed. Now the war is going to be an extended quagmire with little end in sight. Even if they somehow manage to get Zelensky out, the Russians will never have true control; the population will remember the invasion and want the occupiers out at the first opportunity.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

I remember the days when quoting a story from Al Jazeera would have made you a laughingstock.
Big C
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

Honestly, I think the truest statement is that Russia can't actually "win" this war.

Can they win territory? Yes, probably. But can they actually "win" control of Ukraine, in the long term? No, I don't think so. Their only chance of that was a blitzkrieg that toppled the capital and chased out the leadership in one fell swoop . . . basically exactly what Putin tried at the start of this, sending his tanks towards Kyiv. That attempt has obviously failed. Now the war is going to be an extended quagmire with little end in sight. Even if they somehow manage to get Zelensky out, the Russians will never have true control; the population will remember the invasion and want the occupiers out at the first opportunity.

Tons of Ukrainians who didn't hate Putin ten years ago, now despise him. Same with a lot of the ethnic Russians who live in Ukraine. Yes, even if Russia "wins" a lot of the territory, what then? This is a disaster for Ukraine and doesn't seem to have an upside for Russia, either.

Senseless.
Cal88
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

I remember the days when quoting a story from Al Jazeera would have made you a laughingstock.

From the horse's mouth, a Ukrainian news outlet:

https://uawire.org/zelensky-ukraine-may-reconsider-its-nuclear-status

This is a partisan RW American source, but that site, and the author, are consistently pro-NATO, I think he does a solid job as a journalist here:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/president-zelensky-suggests-ukraine-may-pursue-nuclear-weapons-to-counter-russia-putin-responds

Another analysis by an anti-nuclear war activist scientist, from the left:

https://consortiumnews.com/2022/03/03/ukraine-nukes/

Bottom line, there is no doubt that Zelensky has stated before the war his desire to rescind the non-proliferation treaty Ukraine signed in the 90s and acquire nuclear weapons. And unlike say Iran or a second-rate tech country, Ukraine has some of the world's best expertise on nuclear weapons, a large stockpile of nuclear fuel and missiles whose range can be extended to reach the west Russian heartland
sycasey
Cal88 said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

From the horse's mouth, a Ukrainian news outlet:

https://uawire.org/zelensky-ukraine-may-reconsider-its-nuclear-status

This is a partisan RW American source, but that site, and the author, are consistently pro-NATO, I think he does a solid job as a journalist here:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/president-zelensky-suggests-ukraine-may-pursue-nuclear-weapons-to-counter-russia-putin-responds

Another analysis by an anti-nuclear war activist scientist, from the left:

https://consortiumnews.com/2022/03/03/ukraine-nukes/

Bottom line, there is no doubt that Zelensky has stated before the war his desire to rescind the non-proliferation treaty Ukraine signed in the 90s and acquire nuclear weapons. And unlike say Iran or a second-rate tech country, Ukraine has some of the world's best expertise on nuclear weapons, a large stockpile of nuclear fuel and missiles whose range can be extended to reach the west Russian heartland

Ukraine wanted its nukes back after Russia invaded them the first time? Shocking!
sycasey
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Blah blah blah.

Quote:

See below.

Okay, at this point I've asked Cal88 the direct question four times, and every time he's avoided it and tried to blame everyone but Putin. There can be no doubt at this point that he supports Putin.
Cal88
Quote:

Ukraine wanted its nukes back after Russia invaded them the first time? Shocking!
By that, you mean Russia annexing Crimea? Do you think the people in that province wanted anything to do with the post-Maidan Kiev Kyiv regime?

In the west, when a province or a state within a federal entity wants to secede, they get to vote it out, such as the case with Quebec, Scotland, or Slovakia. Crimeans voted overwhelmingly to secede from Ukraine and join Russia, and it wasn't even close.

Russia is basically doing in Ukraine what NATO has done in Yugoslavia in the 90s, cut up and balkanize the country along ethnic lines that suit their geopolitical regional goals. For parts like Slovenia, Croatia or Bosnia, this turned out fairly well, but not so well for Serbia, which has been reduced to a landlocked leftover small Yugoslav core. I think the same scenario will play out in Ukraine, with eventually down the line Poland and Hungary wanting a piece of the action.

Quote:

Tons of Ukrainians who didn't hate Putin ten years ago, now despise him. Same with a lot of the ethnic Russians who live in Ukraine. Yes, even if Russia "wins" a lot of the territory, what then? This is a disaster for Ukraine and doesn't seem to have an upside for Russia, either.
Consider the case of Chechnya, where Russia had a far more brutal ethnic war, levelling much of Grozny and other cities to the ground. They've managed to bring that nation back completely into the Russian federal fold through an economic rebuilding program. And Chechens aren't even Slavs, they're a Muslim Caucasian-Turkic tribe, with a completely foreign language, whereas Russians and Ukrainians are very closely related ethnicities and languages, like say Nowegian and Swedish.

Grozny before and after:

Ukraine like its EE neighbors has an older population, with some of the lowest fertility rates in the world due to having had the worst economy in Europe (even before the war) and losing much of its young active population to emigration (to Poland, Germany, UK but also Russia).

Unlike its neighbors Poland, Hungary who have done fairly well after the 1990s, Ukraine has been stuck in the postcommunist oligarch corruption rut, while Russia has been slowly stabilizing and largely turned the corner from the 1990s neoliberal dystopia, with a GDP/capita 3 times larger than Ukraine's. Ukraine used to be the wealthiest, most advanced state in the USSR, with much of their tech, richest agriculture and sizable MIC were concentrated there. However, in the last two decades its economy has spiralled downwards.

A lot of the older Russophones in Ukraine would be happy with a state pension, a stable economy and the lifting of all restrictions on their ability to use their native language. People in Crimea have been about as happy with their current fate as Croatian, Slovenia or Czechia have been with their newer status, the occasional explosion notwithstanding. Russia has made major infrastructure projects in Crimea and the place has been thriving, especially with their access to water, which was cut off by Ukraine, now being restored.

I think the majority of people in places like Mariupol or Kherson would prefer to split from Ukraine and be under Russian tutelage, although not nearly as large a majority as in Crimea or the Donbass. The stories of mass deportation and "exfiltrations" to Russia from these regions is pure propaganda, there are about 3 million Ukrainians living in Russia, and most eastern/southern Ukrainians have relatives in Russia. A lot of families with younger teenage boys have been trying to move to the Kherson region from central Ukraine in order to avoid their kids being drafted. That was the case with some of my relatives.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

Quote:

By that, you mean Russia annexing Crimea?

Yes.

But you are already on record as being pro-Russian invasion so I'm not surprised you disagree.
dajo9
Which is more likely to happen?

Cal88 will say anything bad about Putin
OR
Cal88 will acknowledge he lost bets in the 2020 election when Biden beat Trump and that he had to buy people liquor.
American Vermin
Cal88
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

Anytime the US has a designated enemy/target, be it Saddam, Noriega, Chavez, Assad or further back Mossadegh in 1950s Iran, the head of that nation automatically becomes a cartoon villain, bloodthirsty trillionaire dictator who gases his population. In every case, the great majority of Americans will rally around the flag and internalize the image of the target country leader that the State Dept and MSM has drawn up for them.

In the case of Russia, that is a particularly easy task, because the American general public has been conditioned to view that country and Ruskies in an unflattering light (to say the least) since the Cold War, from Saturday morning Boris&Natasha cartoons to Ivan Drago to Red Dawn. Russia has been on the **** list along with Iran, Muzzies, Cuba, while China has replaced Japan on the Pacific front.

In Russia, believe it or not, Putin is viewed as a moderate, his main opposition has been from the nationalist right and from Communists eager to revive the USSR. Both parties consider Putin to be a wimp, and were clamoring for him to intervene directly in the Donbas war going back to 2014.

Fact is, just about any Russian leader would have acted the same way Putin has, he is looking for the geopolitical interest of his nation first and foremost. Russia has been a designated enemy nation well before the Ukraine war, going back to the mid-00s. I would suggest reading Zbignew Brzezinski's seminal work, The Grand Chessboard, in which he advocated breaking up Russia in 4-5 "digestible" pieces, and he recognized Ukraine as the key lever in undermining Russia's position in EE and its overall status as a large sovereign nation. We're basically seeing Zbig's vision being materialized, though I think he would have been more prudent in executing it, making sure that Russia doesn't ally with China, along the lines of Kissinger's current realpolitik vision.

That's the nature of geopolitics.

If, say, in Taiwan, people like Pompeo and Kinzinger get their way and manage to prod the current Taiwanese govt to declare independence, China would certainly invade, and that wouldn't be because Xi is a bloodthirsty maniac meanie, because any CCP figure, from their #2 down on to #100 would have done the same thing, lest he gets yanked.

If A, then B, we know what the red lines are. That is the message I've tried to relay in my post above with the 70+ political figures supporting this simple analysis. In the case of a Taiwan invasion as a result of a declaration of independence backed by key US politicians, I would place about 80%-90% of the blame on these politicians, and the balance on Xi, with a correction up or down depending on how he goes about with his military operation, especially wrt his consideration for civilians.

On that scale, I would give Putin a C-. I think he should have stuck with the Donbass, taken it, and called it a day, he has a large degree of support from the locals there. But then again, I am not Russian, you have to walk in their shoes to understand their perspective, having been invaded from the west by at least two gigantic armies in their recent past, much like the Chinese response to Taiwan has been conditioned by their Century of Humiliation going back to the early 19th century, and perhaps earlier.

Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal88 said:

Quote:

By that, you mean Russia annexing Crimea? Do you think the people in that province wanted anything to do with the post-Maidan Kiev Kyiv regime?

In the west, when a province or a state within a federal entity wants to secede, they get to vote it out, such as the case with Quebec, Scotland, or Slovakia. Crimeans voted overwhelmingly to secede from Ukraine and join Russia, and it wasn't even close.

Russia is basically doing in Ukraine what NATO has done in Yugoslavia in the 90s, cut up and balkanize the country along ethnic lines that suit their geopolitical regional goals. For parts like Slovenia, Croatia or Bosnia, this turned out fairly well, but not so well for Serbia, which has been reduced to a landlocked leftover small Yugoslav core. I think the same scenario will play out in Ukraine, with eventually down the line Poland and Hungary wanting a piece of the action.

Quote:

Consider the case of Chechnya, where Russia had a far more brutal ethnic war, levelling much of Grozny and other cities to the ground.

Grozny before and after:

That after picture looks like an artist's (or architect's) rendition, not a real photograph. I could be wrong though.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

Anytime the US has a designated enemy/target, be it Saddam, Noriega, Chavez, Assad or further back Mossadegh in 1950s Iran, the head of that nation automatically becomes a cartoon villain, bloodthirsty trillionaire dictator who gases his population. In every case, the great majority of Americans will rally around the flag and internalize the image of the target country leader that the State Dept and MSM has drawn up for them.
Yeah, a lot of those guys were bad guys. Saddam was definitely a bad guy.

That doesn't mean it was good for us to invade Iraq. It didn't help our country in any way (Saddam was no actual threat to the US) and it was unlikely to make Iraq any better either.

Same reason it was bad for Russia to invade Ukraine. The nationalist propaganda that Russia uses to justify their invasion is just as bad as the American version you describe above. The same standards should apply to everyone. You only apply them one way.
Unit2Sucks
I wish I had more time to debunk all of Cal88's ridiculous claims. I love that he considers the obviously invalid 2014 Crimea referendum as if it were meaningful. I believe he said "overwhelmingly" approved but didn't mention that Putin didn't take his thumb off the scale until he got to 97% and that the "alternative" in the referendum was a joke. No honest person believes that was a legitimate measure of the will of the people in Crimea and the fact that Cal88 holds it out as such tells you everything you need to know about his bias.

Also lol that he holds Chechnya out as some sort of friendly business combination. Chechens throughout Europe still live in fear from Putin's hit squads.

As for Russian military, they are continuing to perform far worse than Baghdad Bob gives them credit for. I am not going to claim that Ukraine is going to win the war or obtain freedom from the war crime committing oppressor, but Russia has failed miserably thus far in their attempt to quickly and easily gain control of their neighbor. Just like the long disastrous war in Afghanistan, Russia's plans for Ukraine are doomed for failure.

First Page Last Page
Page 45 of 249

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.