The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

609,344 Views | 8704 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Zippergate
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nance says Ukraine is winning, going to win. I was quite surprised.

golden sloth
concordtom said:

I think we need to remember that the fog of war is a real thing and that the most avid experts dont have a great understanding of what's going on. I had gone on a binge in June of watching a bunch of conferences with military experts and they had all claimed that they believe Russia had the advantage in the short term but Ukraine had the advantage in the long term.

Russia had their best month recently, but they did not deliver a decisive blow to the ukrainian forces, instead Ukraine retreated and re-entrenched. Now Ukraine's edge in manpower combined with the future training on the NATO weapons will lead to their advantage. Right now, Ukraine is targeting the Russians advantage in artillery stockpile with the belief that if you can get the Russians to slow their mass shelling you will neutralize their one advantage.

The experts also mentioned that they hate making predictions because war rarely goes to plan, and that things are never as good or as bad as the propaganda claims.
dimitrig
golden sloth said:

concordtom said:

I think we need to remember that the fog of war is a real thing and that the most avid experts dont have a great understanding of what's going on. I had gone on a binge in June of watching a bunch of conferences with military experts and they had all claimed that they believe Russia had the advantage in the short term but Ukraine had the advantage in the long term.

Russia had their best month recently, but they did not deliver a decisive blow to the ukrainian forces, instead Ukraine retreated and re-entrenched. Now Ukraine's edge in manpower combined with the future training on the NATO weapons will lead to their advantage. Right now, Ukraine is targeting the Russians advantage in artillery stockpile with the belief that if you can get the Russians to slow their mass shelling you will neutralize their one advantage.

The experts also mentioned that they hate making predictions because war rarely goes to plan, and that things are never as good or as bad as the propaganda claims.

As long as Ukrainians are willing to fight Russia will lose.

Vietnam proved that against the US.

Unit2Sucks
concordtom said:

I've never heard of Malcolm Nance but as far as I can tell he's not a writer at bulgariamilitary.com and therefore not a trustworthy authority. Nice try though.

The only sources we can rely on are ones that Cal88 can cherry-pick from. I eagerly await a 3,000 word essay from him tying together fake global cooling magazine covers from the 70's, high school newspapers in Poland. out of context quotes from people and straight up Kremlin propaganda. Oh, and lots of victim-blaming.
AunBear89
oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

BearForce2 said:

The walls are closing in on Russia just like they are for Trump.

Wow - rooting for the worst and most criminal president (IQ45) AND for a deranged totalitarian who invaded his neighbor (IQ45's lover boy Putin). You really know how to pick the wrong side of history. I'm guessing you were a fan of Betamax and Zune? How much did you invest in Theranos?

Is BF2 rooting for Putin? Are you so simple that you view refutal of pro-Ukrainian info to be cheering for Putin?

Wow. More insults. If anyone is simple, it would be someone who views BF2's post in isolation rather than in the context of his extensive spamming history on this board. BF is such a fan of Putin's alleged "anti Nazi" motivations, I suspect he is looking forward to Putin invading Charlie Kirk's convention in Florida.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearForce2
concordtom said:

Nance is a fraud and adding to the fog of war and the fact that CNN, Amanpour, and these other outlets give him the time of day is hilarious. He was a linguist in the Navy and not an intel officer or someone with combat experience.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
AunBear89
And what exactly are your credentials? You opine so often about war and combat and the military. Did you watch an episode of GI Joe? You once won a hand of the card game War? You had lots of "uncles" in the military when you were a kid?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearForce2
AunBear89 said:

And what exactly are your credentials? You opine so often about war and combat and the military. Did you watch an episode of GI Joe? You once won a hand of the card game War? You had lots of "uncles" in the military when you were a kid?

one 1000, two 1000, standby shipmate! standby!
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
AunBear89
So, your answer is "I have no credentials. I only have a bunch of stupid things to say, a keyboard, and loads of free time."
BearForce2

I have the same shirt Zelensky likes to wear.
golden sloth
BearForce2 said:

Hearts and minds are a key part of any war.

Unfortunately, PR is part of the job, and he needs to continue to make headlines to remind the western world that there is a war going on and his country is being invaded. Ukraine cant defend itself without help, he needs to do whatever he can to get that help, his primary objective should be to make sure the russian invasion is visible and heard, and that the people you need help from care. If that means doing a lame and embarrassing vogue cover story, so be it.
concordtom
Unit2Sucks said:

I've never heard of Malcolm Nance

Enjoy
Big C
BearForce2 said:

It's just insane the action I can get now, since March, when I started dressing like Zelenskyy. I'm not in the market, but still...

Chicks: Ooh, soldier, what do you do?
Me: I post on BI, sweetheart.
Chicks: Ooh, I love BI! But why do you dress like that... not that I'm complaining!
Me: I'm a war-time poster. Even my boxer-briefs are army green.
Chicks: Ooooh!!!
BearForce2
golden sloth said:

BearForce2 said:

Hearts and minds are a key part of any war.

Unfortunately, PR is part of the job, and he needs to continue to make headlines to remind the western world that there is a war going on and his country is being invaded. Ukraine cant defend itself without help, he needs to do whatever he can to get that help, his primary objective should be to make sure the russian invasion is visible and heard, and that the people you need help from care. If that means doing a lame and embarrassing vogue cover story, so be it.

Let the people who read Vogue magazine pay for the war then.
BearForce2
Big C said:

BearForce2 said:

It's just insane the action I can get now, since March, when I started dressing like Zelenskyy. I'm not in the market, but still...

Chicks: Ooh, soldier, what do you do?
Me: I post on BI, sweetheart.
Chicks: Ooh, I love BI! But why do you dress like that... not that I'm complaining!
Me: I'm a war-time poster. Even my boxer-briefs are army green.
Chicks: Ooooh!!!

Photographer: We're going to put on our second outfits now.
Zelensky: Ok, excuse us for a minute while we get changed.
A few moments later....
Photographer: Oh, very good sir, now this outfit looks amazing on you.
sycasey
This photo shoot is such a weird thing for Putin fans to hang their hats on. Why should anyone care that a politician and his wife did photos and an interview for Vogue? What minds are you trying to change with this?
calbear93
sycasey said:

This photo shoot is such a weird thing for Putin fans to hang their hats on. Why should anyone care that a politician and his wife did photos and an interview for Vogue? What minds are you trying to change with this?

I think history will remember Zelensky for a long time and remember him kindly. He doesn't have to be perfect. Churchill was far from perfect. Unlike most of us, he would have made an impact in his role and would have inspired when the world needed him. History won't care about any one of us.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

Cal88
sycasey
BearForce2
If those two Senators didn't vote yes, there must be a good reason why.
AunBear89
BearForce2 said:

If you really think that's the case, bless your heart.
AunBear89
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Cool. The only way to get that kind of picture of the two of them is Photoshop.
sycasey
BearForce2 said:

It doesn't have to be a GOOD reason.
BearForce2
Does the U.S. now have the privilege to pay for Finland's and Sweden's security?
golden sloth
BearForce2 said:

Does the U.S. now have the privilege to pay for Finland's and Sweden's security?
Finland was quite scarred from WWII where they were trapped between the USSR and Nazi Germany. They wanted nothing to do with either, but were then invaded by the USSR (again). It is in the Helsinki building code that buildings of certain size need to have bunkers associated with them, as such there are around 500 bunkers in a city of about 630k.

Finland also allows the allies access to invasion routes of Russia enabling them to quickly cut off the Kola peninsula. The Kola peninsula is where most of Russia's arctic navy is housed as well as widespread nuclear missile installations and air force bases.

Point being, page 1 of Finland's defense plan for the past 60+ years was how to stop/repel a Russian invasion, and they designed their military and defense strategy to face that fear. The Finns are far more militarily prepared than most other European countries, and the strategic position they allow the allies access (cutting off the Kola peninsula and 2.5 hours from the Baltic Coast ports) means Finland is a net gain for the alliance.
Cal88
golden sloth said:

BearForce2 said:

Finland was quite scarred from WWII where they were trapped between the USSR and Nazi Germany. They wanted nothing to do with either, but were then invaded by the USSR (again). It is in the Helsinki building code that buildings of certain size need to have bunkers associated with them, as such there are around 500 bunkers in a city of about 630k.

Finland also allows the allies access to invasion routes of Russia enabling them to quickly cut off the Kola peninsula. The Kola peninsula is where most of Russia's arctic navy is housed as well as widespread nuclear missile installations and air force bases.

Point being, page 1 of Finland's defense plan for the past 60+ years was how to stop/repel a Russian invasion, and they designed their military and defense strategy to face that fear. The Finns are far more militarily prepared than most other European countries, and the strategic position they allow the allies access (cutting off the Kola peninsula and 2.5 hours from the Baltic Coast ports) means Finland is a net gain for the alliance.

That bolded part is a bit of an exaggeration, the Finns not having been too shy to embrace Nazi ideology in WW2, though not to the degree of Ukraine, which had the largest non-Germanic Nazi army. The Finnish army mostly kept to Fighting off Soviet invaders, but Finland did intern domestic ethnic Russians in concentration camps, where thousands of them starved to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Finnish_Waffen-SS_volunteers_of_the_5th_SS_Panzer_Division_Wiking_during_their_homecoming_parade_in_Hanko,_Finland,_1_June_1943._(49025125816).jpg

Finnish Air Force Messerschmidt, circa 1944:

oski003
1) Don't criticize Ukraine;
2) Don't criticize U.S. efforts in Ukraine; Or

You are spouting Russian talking points and must be a Russian asset! Hail Putin!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/politics/victoria-spartz-ukraine-republican-reaction/index.html
Unit2Sucks
We may just be seeing the tip of the iceberg on Russian war atrocities.

BearForce2

The narrative appears to have "slightly" shifted.
BearForce2
sycasey
BearForce2 said:

Taiwan is part of China? I think Taiwan might disagree.
Cal88
sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

You have zero understanding of Chinese history. It's that kind of naive arrogance and ignorance that might end up bringing WW3 about.

There is no official entity called Taiwan, not even on that island itself. That island is the home to the Republic of China, while the mainland is the People's Republic of China. Both governments claim the other party as theirs.

The US and the rest of the international community have also acknowledged the One China policy, and almost all recognize the PRC as "China", because it represents 98.6% of Chinese population and 99.4% of Chinese territory, rather than the 1.4% who live on the small island near the mainland and represent the other political entity.

Whether out of shortsightedness, ignorance or shear exceptionalist arrogance, politicians like Pelosi as well as Rep. chickenhawks in the McCain/Cheney mold have been pushing the ROC to officially relinquish its status and become an independent republic of Taiwan. This is going to automatically trigger the invasion of this island by the PRC, a war where the US will have to be involved more directly than in Ukraine, in a conflict that could easily spiral into WW3.

It's also a war that the PRC has been preparing for for the last several decades, and a war that they will absolutely win, regardless of what it might cost them in human life or economic loss, or how many American aircraft carriers they will have to sink in the process.

So once again, idiots people are leading Taiwan down the primrose path, which would result in them being wrecked. The parallels with Ukraine are striking...
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

You have zero understanding of Chinese history. It's that kind of naive arrogance and ignorance that might end up bringing WW3 about.

There is no official entity called Taiwan, not even on that island itself. That island is the home to the Republic of China, while the mainland is the People's Republic of China. Both governments claim the other party as theirs.

The US and the rest of the international community have also acknowledged the One China policy, and almost all recognize the PRC as "China", because it represents 98.6% of Chinese population and 99.4% of Chinese territory, rather than the 1.4% who live on the small island near the mainland and represent the other political entity.

Whether out of shortsightedness, ignorance or shear exceptionalist arrogance, politicians like Pelosi as well as Rep. chickenhawks in the McCain/Cheney mold have been pushing the ROC to officially relinquish its status and become an independent republic of Taiwan. This is going to automatically trigger the invasion of this island by the PRC, a war where the US will have to be involved more directly than in Ukraine, in a conflict that could easily spiral into WW3.

It's also a war that the PRC has been preparing for for the last several decades, and a war that they will absolutely win, regardless of what it might cost them in human life or economic loss, or how many American aircraft carriers they will have to sink in the process.

So once again, idiots people are leading Taiwan down the primrose path, which would result in them being wrecked. The parallels with Ukraine are striking...

To the extent that anyone can "win" a war between the US and China it wouldn't be China that comes out ahead. Even the Chinese would admit that.

How many wars has China fought lately? I think they will find themselves woefully unprepared compared to the US which has been fighting wars across the globe for the better part of last century and all of this century.

Big C
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

To the extent that anyone can "win" a war between the US and China it wouldn't be China that comes out ahead. Even the Chinese would admit that.

How many wars has China fought lately? I think they will find themselves woefully unprepared compared to the US which has been fighting wars across the globe for the better part of last century and all of this century.

That's why we always get involved in this s***: to get some practice time in and stay sharp.
First Page Last Page
Page 43 of 249

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.