The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

803,345 Views | 9692 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Cal88
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the UK, this is a Merc

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
Big C said:

bearister said:

My Mom had a Merc Cougar that looked like this:

…..and speaking of mercs, I liked this merc movie as a kid. In the US Dark of Sun (1968),in UK The Mercenaries.

Ours was that color! I believe the one you pictured is a '68, distinguishable by the turning lights on the side.

Great minds thought alike on that Coug.

My Mom's prior car, a '65 pale yellow Mustang like this one:

I lobbied hard for my Mom's selection. I was a pushy kid.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
oski003
movielover said:

Is that fake?
dajo9
We won't know until Catturd has his say
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
Cal88
This is what Germany came up with recently, from their Minister of Defense:
bearister
My Dad and his war buddies used to say:

"The only good German is a defeated one."

Too soon?
cbbass1
oski003 said:

movielover said:

Is that fake?
Only the motivation for it.
Cal88
There has been already over 100 French mercs, soldiers KIA in the Ukraine war including high-ranking officers, and the tally is going to keep growing, thanks to Macron's foolish inclinations.

Alexandre Robert aka History Legends on the subject, though the focus is more on the new rivalries around the French overseas holdings.

movielover
It seems like we're getting closer to possible calamity.
movielover
bearister
Putin is running out of time to achieve breakthrough in Ukraine | Stars and Stripes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-06-08/putin-is-running-out-of-time-to-achieve-breakthrough-in-ukraine
Cal88
bearister said:

Putin is running out of time to achieve breakthrough in Ukraine | Stars and Stripes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-06-08/putin-is-running-out-of-time-to-achieve-breakthrough-in-ukraine

no-paywall here:
https://www.scmp.com/news/world/russia-central-asia/article/3265893/ukraine-gets-fresh-arms-west-putin-running-out-time-achieve-breakthrough

The article is mostly spin, the article states that Russia has manpower issues, when in fact the Russians have been signing up around 25k volunteers every month, accumulating reserves that are mostly sitting on the sidelines in anticipation of a large NATO deployment, which their mere presence would dissuade.

Quote:

To be sure, both sides face formidable challenges, particularly in recruiting replacements for killed or wounded troops. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky signed a new mobilisation law lowering the age of the draft, though manpower remains a problem for the military.

The Kremlin is determined not to repeat Putin's September 2022 order to draft 300,000 reservists, a mobilisation that shook public support and triggered an exodus of as many as a million Russians from the country. It's relying instead on offering generous pay and signing bonuses to attract recruits as the defence ministry aims to enlist at least 250,000 more soldiers this year.

While the policy avoids social tensions inside Russia over the war, it's unlikely to allow the army to amass enough troops for a successful offensive in Ukraine, according to Pukhov, the Moscow-based military analyst. "For a real breakthrough the Kremlin would need far more people," he said.

In reality, time is on Russia's side, they are conducting the war of attrition at their own pace.

movielover
NATO / EU / US still scrambling for ammo and forced enlistments.
Cal88
As I've mentioned before, the war will end once one of these items runs out for Ukraine:

1- soldiers
2- weapons/equipment and trained operators
3- morale

Right now, it is the first item that seems to be the most pressing, though they have been straining to keep up with ammo resupply.
Cal88
Slovak PM Fico survived an assassination attempt, 3 bullets, from a pro-Ukraine war fanatic last month, still in rehab at his hospital.

'I voted in the hospital because these elections are also important. It is necessary to vote for European deputies who will support peace initiatives, and not the continuation of the war.

The agreement of Western countries to allow Ukraine to use Western weapons to strike targets on Russian territory is only proof that the large Western democracies do not want peace, but the escalation of tensions with Russia, which is sure to happen.

As the Prime Minister of Slovakia, I will not drag the country into such military adventures and, within the framework of our small Slovak capabilities, I will do everything to ensure that peace has priority over war.'
Cal88

"We are heading for a major catastrophe and it seems that the train has already left the station and can no longer be stopped. No one in the West is talking about peace anymore - only more war. The West thinks it can win and take out Russia. I think the West is wrong. Both sides now believe it is existential for them, so I don't think they will find a solution other than war and everything, everything is at stake. In Europe, the leaders act as the big heroes, but they are not honest and do not tell their citizens that they will all pay a big price if it comes to war."
bearister
Here's how Vladimir Putin stole a Super Bowl ring from the Patriots' Robert Kraft

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-vladimir-putin-stole-a-super-bowl-ring-from-the-patriots-robert-kraft/

"I took out the ring and showed it to [Putin], and he put it on and he goes, 'I can kill someone with this ring,'" Kraft said in 2013. "I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out."

Despite the fact that Putin walked off with the ring, Kraft still wanted the $25,000 piece of jewelry returned. However, he ended up giving up on his quest to get the ring back when White House called and told Kraft that starting World War III over a Super Bowl ring probably wouldn't be the best idea."
AunBear89
bearister said:

Here's how Vladimir Putin stole a Super Bowl ring from the Patriots' Robert Kraft

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-vladimir-putin-stole-a-super-bowl-ring-from-the-patriots-robert-kraft/

"I took out the ring and showed it to [Putin], and he put it on and he goes, 'I can kill someone with this ring,'" Kraft said in 2013. "I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out."

Despite the fact that Putin walked off with the ring, Kraft still wanted the $25,000 piece of jewelry returned. However, he ended up giving up on his quest to get the ring back when White House called and told Kraft that starting World War III over a Super Bowl ring probably wouldn't be the best idea."

Well, it's very simple.

First, Putin had reliable information that the gold in the ring was originally from Russia.

Second, the diamonds wanted to stay with Kraft, but the smaller gems "voted" to stay with Putin. So. . .
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sycasey
AunBear89 said:

bearister said:

Well, it's very simple.

First, Putin had reliable information that the gold in the ring was originally from Russia.

Second, the diamonds wanted to stay with Kraft, but the smaller gems "voted" to stay with Putin. So. . .
The ring also contained references to a team called the "Patriots" and was festooned with American propaganda, so can you blame Putin for feeling threatened? He did what he had to do.
Big C
Cal88 said:

"We are heading for a major catastrophe and it seems that the train has already left the station and can no longer be stopped. No one in the West is talking about peace anymore - only more war. The West thinks it can win and take out Russia. I think the West is wrong. Both sides now believe it is existential for them, so I don't think they will find a solution other than war and everything, everything is at stake. In Europe, the leaders act as the big heroes, but they are not honest and do not tell their citizens that they will all pay a big price if it comes to war."

Cal88, remembering that, for what it's worth, you and I are in general agreement vis-a-vis significant aspects of this conflict, let me ask you this: Who is it that seems to be in favor of this war spreading beyond Russia-Ukraine? Because I can't imagine anybody is.

For example, I am in favor of us aiding Ukraine as long as they truly want it... within certain parameters. But it is certainly not "existential" for me (or for the US, imo). If Russia really wants it that badly and their leaders are able to survive this politically, then I guess they will get Ukraine eventually. But they will pay a steep price. And if Russia were to continue westward (unlikely), that's where it starts to become existential.

I feel like Biden, Trump and all of Western Europe are on the same page here. If there is a gray area, it might involve giving Ukraine our better and more offensive weapons and multiple other "small scale escalations" such as that.
Zippergate
Perhaps we need to tighten up the parameters.

https://open.substack.com/pub/palexander/p/the-prospect-of-russia-and-us-in?r=aiop6&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Quote:

Quote:

Yesterday the President of Russia for the first time ever acknowledged the possibility of sending our weapons to the regions that fight against the states who provide arms to the f. Ukraine. (More precisely, use these arms against our country.) In other words, to the forces that are in conflict with the US, and NATO states.

"It seems Russia has had enough and is prepared to escalate the proxy war. Now Ukraine (USA) will be fighting Russia and third party countries (Russia) will be fighting the USA with everyone else in between losing out.
Medvedev was referencing Vladimir Putin's warning that Russia may start providing long-range weapons to countries who want to strike Western targets."
movielover
Ukraine (USA) apparently hit two key Russian targets not of current military value, which were provocative, and many would say an escalation.

Ukraine (USA) apparently hit two early warning radar systems used to track intercontinental missiles. One thought is we're telling Russia, "Hey, we took our two; we can take them all out."

Putin has said he'll respond. This includes:

PBS.org: Cubans say Russian warships, including nuclear-powered submarine, will arrive in Havana next week

"The officials said that the Russian military presence was notable but not concerning. However, it's taking place as Russian President Vladimir Putin has suggested that Moscow could take "asymmetrical steps" elsewhere in the world in response to President Joe Biden's decision to allow Ukraine to use U.S.-provided weapons to strike inside Russia to protect Kharkiv, Ukraine's second-largest city."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/cubans-say-russian-warships-including-nuclear-powered-submarine-will-arrive-in-havana-next-week
Cal88
148 Days Til No Joe said:

Ukraine has large deposits of lithium, and even without that, they have the largest natural resources in Europe. All the military aid flowing there is mortgaging that wealth.
movielover
I believe the eastern portion has more of those resources.

McGregor has also said American Big Ag is salivating for their ag lands.
blungld
AunBear89 said:

Well, it's very simple.

Having Krafts hand so close to Putin was a threat and so he was entitles to reach out and take it. Kraft started it by extending his hand so close to Putin's physical space and he had no choice but to respond in theft. His only option, many experts agree and I can send links to X to show you I am right.
Cal88
blungld said:

AunBear89 said:

Well, it's very simple.

Having Krafts hand so close to Putin was a threat and so he was entitles to reach out and take it. Kraft started it by extending his hand so close to Putin's physical space and he had no choice but to respond in theft. His only option, many experts agree and I can send links to X to show you I am right.

Kraft made up this story with Putin after realizing he's lost his ring at the massage parlor.
oski003
Cal88 said:

blungld said:

AunBear89 said:

Well, it's very simple.

Kraft made up this story with Putin after realizing he's lost his ring at the massage parlor.

Stop breaking up the lefty circle jerk. They don't care that Kraft is a prostitute soliciting liar. In this scenario, Putin is very very bad. Anybody who says anything that makes him look bad is immediately a truthful good guy. Anyone defending Putin in any way whatsoever, like I am apparently doing here, is a traitorous liar.
AunBear89
Because good ol' Vlad would NEVER take something that isn't his.
AunBear89
Nope. You are still just a moron.
sycasey
oski003 said:

Cal88 said:

blungld said:

AunBear89 said:

Well, it's very simple.

Stop breaking up the lefty circle jerk. They don't care that Kraft is a prostitute soliciting liar. In this scenario, Putin is very very bad. Anybody who says anything that makes him look bad is immediately a truthful good guy. Anyone defending Putin in any way whatsoever, like I am apparently doing here, is a traitorous liar.
That story doesn't mention anything about Kraft losing a Super Bowl ring at a massage parlor.

Personally, I don't care about the Super Bowl ring. I just think the whole story is funny. Lighten up, Francis.
Cal88
AunBear89 said:

Because good ol' Vlad would NEVER take something that isn't his.

The story is ret@rded, and Kraft is a sleazebag. The fact that it's published by an outlet like CBS shows how bad the MSM is when it comes to anything about Russia or Putin.
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Nope. You are still just a moron.

I knew you would interject here working to get your cracker. Good boy.
movielover
blungld said:

AunBear89 said:

Well, it's very simple.

*Face palm*
movielover
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

"Cal88, remembering that, for what it's worth, you and I are in general agreement vis-a-vis significant aspects of this conflict, let me ask you this: Who is it that seems to be in favor of this war spreading beyond Russia-Ukraine? Because I can't imagine anybody is.

MLover wrote: Some argue Israel is, so that we, for one, can take out Iran. Which might then include the Israeli lobby. Colonel McGregor today said the Israeli breached border was previously 'expertly' defended, hinting that the incursion was a possible setup.

The DC MICC is also probably giddy, and corporate land barrons are probably hopeful.

"For example, I am in favor of us aiding Ukraine as long as they truly want it... within certain parameters. But it is certainly not "existential" for me (or for the US, imo). If Russia really wants it that badly and their leaders are able to survive this politically, then I guess they will get Ukraine eventually. But they will pay a steep price. And if Russia were to continue westward (unlikely), that's where it starts to become existential."

MLover wrote: What price would they pay? They're now the 5th largest economy in the world, their military is far stronger than two years ago, and they're close to inking a partnership deal with Iran.

Westward where? For decades their focus has been on a neutral Ukraine, and NATO ceasing its eastward expansion.

"I feel like Biden, Trump and all of Western Europe are on the same page here. If there is a gray area, it might involve giving Ukraine our better and more offensive weapons and multiple other "small scale escalations" such as that."

MLover wrote: President Trump isn't on the same page; he wants immediate peace talks.
First Page Last Page
Page 255 of 278

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.