The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

803,164 Views | 9692 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Cal88
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Larry Johnson claimed it was only 1-2 battalions (2-4,000 men), and Russia responded quickly, killing 1500 the first day after their incursion.

PR stunt.
dimitrig
movielover said:

Larry Johnson claimed it was only 1-2 battalions (2-4,000 men), and Russia responded quickly, killing 1500 the first day after their incursion.

PR stunt.

I heard they killed 300,000

By the way, what does Grandmama know?
Big C
Cal88 said:

It was a big coup for Ukraine to have managed to have operational surprise over the Russians, who were caught with their pants down. NATO ISR helped identify the weakest spot along the Russian border and they went for it. There is a Polish and French contingent among the 5k-8k troops that made the breakthrough.

It was also a much-needed win for Ukraine after a long string of losses that started in Bakhmut last year, their morale had been seriously weakened, and now the focus is shifted away from the main fronts in the Donbas where Ukraine has been constantly ceding ground.

This being said, it's going to be hard for Ukraine to hold on to these territories without any air cover and once the Russians fully invest that region, as this is going to be a high priority for Russia going forward, and the Ukrainian supply lines are going to be stretched thin, Ukraine will have to make the same decision they have faced in Bakhmut, whether to take heavy losses in an attempt to hold on or to retreat from these positions in the Fall and live another day.

Ukraine should've been mounting periodic, asymmetrical attacks all throughout the war, to keep those Rooskies on their toes (and keep the babushkas on the edge of their seats). Gotta admit though, it was self-proclaimed pundits like me who were saying, at the same time, to be sure not to enrage Putin to the point where he is thinking of going nuclear.
bearister
Putin's greatest fear is coming true with the Ukraine incursion and he's panicking | The Independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/kursk-ukraine-russia-kyiv-zelensky-win-b2594019.html

*I doubt Putin will go nuclear. He has waged war in the Ukraine like the US waged war in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan (and the Soviets did there) with handcuffs on…..all wars that could have been won quickly with mass killing of civilians and tactical nukes (in Vietnam bombing the dams in the North). This is warfare where the Super Power bleeds out against a grossly inferior enemy because it doesn't want to start World War III, and it is facing an enemy that won't quit.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
bearister said:

Putin's greatest fear is coming true with the Ukraine incursion and he's panicking | The Independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/kursk-ukraine-russia-kyiv-zelensky-win-b2594019.html

*I doubt Putin will go nuclear. He has waged war in the Ukraine like the US waged war in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan (and the Soviets did there) with handcuffs on…..all wars that could have been won quickly with mass killing of civilians and tactical nukes (in Vietnam bombing the dams in the North). This is warfare where the Super Power bleeds out against a grossly inferior enemy because it doesn't want to start World War III, and it is facing an enemy that won't quit.

He's winning nine out of ten battles with 300,000 troops in reserve, and 100,000 in reserve in Belarus.

Putin is actually a centrist who is quite familiar w the West.
Cal88
The effect of the Ukrainian offensive into Kursk is that Russia is going to ratchet up its war effort intensity from about a 4-5 out of 10 to a 6 or 7.
Big C
bearister said:

I doubt Putin will go nuclear, too. In fact, I strongly doubt it. The question is: How tough can we get with him without risking the war spreading beyond those two countries, with the nuclear option as a worst-case scenario? This is why we have been so careful about not giving Ukraine our best stuff and not giving them stuff they can use to strike at, say, Moscow.

We both grew up during the Cold War, so we are well aware that we want to keep the nuclear risk way, way down to a minimum. Putin, also having grown up during the Cold War, is well aware of the dangers, but who knows what he might do if he feels hemmed in. Not worth the risk.
sycasey
What does it take to convince Putin that this war is not worth the effort and expense?
bearister
Putin loves the life he lives and lives the life he loves: $250B net worth; gymnast girlfriend and a Black Sea Palace. He isn't interested in an On the Beach fade away.

Cal88
sycasey said:

What does it take to convince Putin that this war is not worth the effort and expense?

Abiding by Minsk I, Minsk II, the Istanbul peace agreement, and working towards a settlement that sees Ukraine as a neutral state?

The ultimate goal of this war, as clearly stated by leading NATO strategists like Brzezinski or the recent Rand Institute whitepaper on Russia ("Overextending and Unbalancing Russia"), or statements from leading European diplomats like Kaja Kalas and from EU/US think tanks, the ultimate goal is to break up Russia and get to its huge pools of resources, the world's largest.

NATO got its hands on that wealth in the 1990s, when in collusion with local oligarchs they've sucked off Russian resources and heavy industry and destroyed the Russian state, putting Yeltsin, a Biden-like decrepit figure at the top of the country and inflicting enormous misery on its people, levels of poverty and misery unprecedented in Russia since the pre-war Bolchevik genocidal reign of terror.

Jeffrey Sachs, who was in the center of that era in the 90s, as an advisor to Yeltsin and an economic planner documented that process of Russian economic and social collapse, engineered by NATO.

During these crisis times of the 1990s, Putin moonlighted as a cab driver in St Petersburg, as his fixed income KGB salary vaporized through hyperinflation. His entire outlook and policies today are geared towards preserving Russian sovereignty and economic welfare.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Abiding by Minsk I, Minsk II, the Istanbul peace agreement, and working towards a settlement that sees Ukraine as a neutral state?

The ultimate goal of this war, as clearly stated by leading NATO strategists like Brzezinski or the recent Rand Institute whitepaper on Russia ("Overextending and Unbalancing Russia"), or statements from leading European diplomats like Kaja Kalas and from EU/US think tanks, the ultimate goal is to break up Russia and get to its huge pools of resources, the world's largest.

NATO got its hands on that wealth in the 1990s, when in collusion with local oligarchs they've sucked off Russian resources and heavy industry and destroyed the Russian state, putting Yeltsin, a Biden-like decrepit figure at the top of the country and inflicting enormous misery on its people, levels of poverty and misery unprecedented in Russia since the pre-war Bolchevik genocidal reign of terror.

Jeffrey Sachs, who was in the center of that era in the 90s, as an advisor to Yeltsin and an economic planner documented that process of Russian economic and social collapse, engineered by NATO.

During these crisis times of the 1990s, Putin moonlighted as a cab driver in St Petersburg, as his fixed income KGB salary vaporized through hyperinflation. His entire outlook and policies today are geared towards preserving Russian sovereignty and economic welfare.

I didn't ask, "What gives Putin whatever he wants?"

I said, "What convinces him this effort is not worth it?"
movielover
What convinces NATO (USA) their war provocations and efforts aren't worth it?

With the Gaza War, empty stockpiles? Limited capability to support Israel or the homeland? The election of a pragmatist peacemaker POTUS like Donald J Trump?
sycasey
movielover said:

I'm gonna say we're a little bit past that now.
Cal88
sycasey said:

movielover said:

It's not NATO doing most of the dying so no skin off their back, and Blackrock, Graham and co don't want to give up on all this lithium and black earth in eastern Ukraine.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

It's not NATO doing most of the dying so no skin off their back, and Blackrock, Graham and co don't want to give up on all this lithium and black earth in eastern Ukraine.
Regardless, this whole thing seems like a waste of time and resources for Russia, doesn't it? How long are they going to persist with this invasion?
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Regardless, this whole thing seems like a waste of time and resources for Russia, doesn't it? How long are they going to persist with this invasion?

The military situation is untenable for Ukraine, I would guess a year or two.
smh
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

only one vote matters, so until glorious leader has some other divine inspiration, or ascends to heaven
muting more than 300 handles, turnaround is fair play
golden sloth
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Eh, you said it would be a month or two back in spring of 2022.
dajo9
Reports are that Russia is pulling troops out of its Polish occupied territory (Kaliningrad) to respond to the invasion around Kursk.
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
oski003
golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

A lot of folks here overestimated and underestimated Russia in early 2022. It doesn't invalidate future predictions. If so, we should all just ignore each other. Wait, aren't we already kind of doing that?
sycasey
golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Also notice how he didn't answer the question.
Cal88
golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Never did say that, I always referred to "to the last Ukrainian". What I've been saying more specifically wrt the war timeline is that Ukraine would stop fighting and negotiate a settlement once just one of these factors is achieved:

-They run out of soldiers
-They run out of funds/military equipment/trained soldiers to operate said equipment
-Their morale collapses

The Kursk operation's main goal is to shore up sinking morale at home after over a year of successive losses (failed offensive, loss of several fortified positions, ongoing high attrition).
Cal88
sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

I did provide a writeup on the important context and background of Russian motivations in this war, which you have ignored.

Quote:

sycasey said:

The other point here is that Russia has offered several proposals for a settlement, which would have been decent starting points for a negotiated settlement, and which Ukraine has completely rejected. Ukraine's only starting point for negotiation is a complete withdrawal of Russia from the Donbas and Crimea, which is never going to happen.

Ukraine's government has assassinated one of their own negotiators in the recent past, their KGB taking him out mafia-style with a shot to the head on a city street, and they have formally banned any attempt at negotiation with Russia, going as far as enshrining this ban in their constitution. Ukraine is going to keep fighting and keep bombing Russian positions in Crimea, so Russia is not going to stop either.

Your question ignores these basic premises.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

I did provide a writeup on the important context and background of Russian motivations in this war, which you have ignored.

Quote:

sycasey said:

The other point here is that Russia has offered several proposals for a settlement, which would have been decent starting points for a negotiated settlement, and which Ukraine has completely rejected. Ukraine's only starting point for negotiation is a complete withdrawal of Russia from the Donbas and Crimea, which is never going to happen.

Ukraine's government has assassinated one of their own negotiators in the recent past, their KGB taking him out mafia-style with a shot to the head on a city street, and they have formally banned any attempt at negotiation with Russia, going as far as enshrining this ban in their constitution. Ukraine is going to keep fighting and keep bombing Russian positions in Crimea, so Russia is not going to stop either.

Your question ignores these basic premises.
So if Ukraine is really going to be this stubborn about fighting back to maintain their territory, in your mind there is no way to convince Russia that the fight simply is not worth it for them. Russia just has to have that territory, that's what you're saying.
dajo9
I think they should have a ceasefire and peace along the current fighting lines
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
bearister
Putin scrambles as Ukraine claims more territory inside Russia

https://www.axios.com/2024/08/14/ukraine-russia-offensive-troops-new-line

Mediazona confirms identities of over 61,800 Russian soldiers killed in Ukraine

https://kyivindependent.com/mediazona-confirms-identities-of-over-61-800-russian-soldiers-killed-in-ukraine/
bear2034

Cal88
bear2034 said:

Suspect is a white male, 5'6", last seen wearing a drab green t-shirt.
Cal88
Quote:

JEFFREY SACHS:

"The whole point of American behavior is that we never ask the questionever: How would we react on the other side?

The whole point of American foreign policy is the belief by these officials that we can do what we want with impunity, against any norm, standard, international law, principle, vote of the UN, UN Security Council resolution, treaty, or anything else that we would say would limit the behavior of others.

After all, the most basic point that the United States has made for 201 years, since the enunciation of the Monroe Doctrine, is to the rest of the world: stay out of the Western Hemisphere.

We regard any incursion in the Western Hemisphereanywhere from the southern tip of Tierra del Fuego to our immediate neighborhoodas an infringement on U.S. security.

But when we say, 'Of course, we have the right to push NATO right up to Russia's borders, put in missile systems wherever we want, and engage Georgia in the Caucasus region as a "North Atlantic partner" as part of NATO,' that's our right.

Everything about American foreign policy is built on hypocrisy from beginning to end.

And then we can't understand why that's just a little bit annoying to others and why it gets us into perpetual war."

Big C
Cal88 said:

Quote:

JEFFREY SACHS:

"The whole point of American behavior is that we never ask the questionever: How would we react on the other side?

The whole point of American foreign policy is the belief by these officials that we can do what we want with impunity, against any norm, standard, international law, principle, vote of the UN, UN Security Council resolution, treaty, or anything else that we would say would limit the behavior of others.

After all, the most basic point that the United States has made for 201 years, since the enunciation of the Monroe Doctrine, is to the rest of the world: stay out of the Western Hemisphere.

We regard any incursion in the Western Hemisphereanywhere from the southern tip of Tierra del Fuego to our immediate neighborhoodas an infringement on U.S. security.

But when we say, 'Of course, we have the right to push NATO right up to Russia's borders, put in missile systems wherever we want, and engage Georgia in the Caucasus region as a "North Atlantic partner" as part of NATO,' that's our right.

Everything about American foreign policy is built on hypocrisy from beginning to end.

And then we can't understand why that's just a little bit annoying to others and why it gets us into perpetual war."

Agree with Sachs on this and that is a point I have been making for 2 1/2 years. We were talking about NATO expansion and including Ukraine in the discussion. Imagine how we'd feel if Russia was doing similarly with Mexico.
Zippergate
Well, I was wrong about the pipeline (IF this report is to be believed. But then again, it wasn't the Russians either, contrary to the propaganda accepted by many here.

In any case, the US looks stupid and inept. Either they did know and couldn't stop the Ukrainians despite the hundreds of billions in aid, or they did know and allowed (or even encouraged) Ukraine to bomb an ally's important infrastructure. No skin off our nose regardless, but if I'm the Germans, I thinking ***?

'It's a problem for Germany, as a senior official said:

"An attack of this scale is a sufficient reason to trigger the collective defense clause of NATO, but our critical infrastructure was blown up by a country that we support with massive weapons shipments and billions in cash."'

bear2034
They are jointly owned by Russian, German, French, and Dutch companies, and the explosion caused 800 million cubic meters of gas, equivalent to about 3 months of Danish gas supplies, to escape.

In other words, NATO was attacked by a non-NATO nation state and as a result, the greatest man-made, non-accidental, environmental disaster was created under the watchful eyes of the United States.
bear2034
bearister said:

Putin scrambles as Ukraine claims more territory inside Russia

Mediazona confirms identities of over 61,800 Russian soldiers killed in Ukraine

The key determinant of success in a war of attrition is the casualty-exchange ratio, not capturing territory, which Western commentators obsess over. - Mearsheimer

What is the attrition rate for Ukrainian soldiers?

Cal88
I doubt the Ukrainians did it, with the sailboat and the Gilligan's crew, this most likely is a coverup story for a NATO military operation.

In any case, they are throwing Zaluzhny under the bus here, as the story goes he was supposed to have approved and overseen the operation. He is/was the most likely successor to Zelensky.
movielover
There are some related benefits to Russia. As they rotate new troops in, their experience expands. They're chewing up NATO / US military resources, and this is a boon to North Korea economically and militarily.

Biden - Harris - Blinken - Sullivan are refusing to negotiate. Imagine Harris talking to Putin, cackling and talking in circles?
First Page Last Page
Page 267 of 278

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.