Clarence Thomas - Corrupt

30,758 Views | 399 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by bearister
cbbass1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearHunter said:

hxxps://twitter.com/julie_kelly2/status/1658160914636451857

Our government is corrupt beyond anyone's wildest imagination.
AS IF the National Women's Law Center is somehow "corrupting" some part of the U.S. Government by raising $$$ to defend individual women from wrongful prosecution under un-Constitutional, draconian abortion laws!

I loved this picture when I first saw it. Then I saw the writing that the blonde in white, with her fist in the air, has on her belly.

Priceless!

If you can't see it, here's a link to the article:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/24/roe-v-wade-overturned-anniversary-protests-abortion-ban

BH, if you were thinking "My Body, My Choice" for masks & vaccines, but NOT for Women, I don't know what to tell you.

BearHunter
Why do you hate babies? And why does the name, Matthew Graves, sound so familiar?
wifeisafurd
cbbass1 said:

bearister said:

Don't kid yourself. As we write Team Thomas is trying to put lipstick on a turd because he knows the media will dig up what he intended to hide.
I agree, mostly. I think they're sh--ting bricks.

But I don't think "the media" -- as in "mainstream / corporate media" is going to do much digging. IF they had ANY inclination to do that, they would've been reporting on all this activity for years. The reason that all of this stuff is coming out now is that ProPublica, an independent, subscriber-funded media group, is finally doing the work of looking up public records, and interviewing employees & private jet pilots, and disclosing to the American People what these corrupt SCOTUS Justices SHOULD have disclosed to us a long time ago -- that they're bough and paid for by corporations & oligarchs. The "opposition" party should have been uncovering the corruption, but they're horribly corrupt, too.

IF we actually had a Free Press, all of this would've come out many years ago. The problem is that our Corporate Media is ALSO bought & paid for by many of the same corporate donors (Pharma, health insurers, defense contractors, Wall St) & oligarchs who bribe the SCOTUS Justices. They've known about all of this corruption from day one, but the LAST thing they want is to shine a light on it like ProPublica did.

You have to also understand that corporate media HAS to report on ProPublica's findings now, because the cat's out of the bag, and they can't afford to let ProPublica get all the clicks & hits & ratings from it.

Corporate media is losing viewers, and it's dying. Nearly all consistent watchers of Fox, CNN, & MSNBC are 55+ years old, mostly watching through cable TV, because they haven't (or don't know how to) "cut the cord." They have very few viewers in the 18-55 "target demographic" that sponsors value.

Younger people despise Fox, CNN, & MSNBC because of their constant gaslighting, dishonesty, and their refusal to "follow the money" on the seemingly-opposed corporate narratives that are meant to keep us divided. The majority of <55 news viewers get their news & analysis thru streaming, and they've dumped corporate/legacy media.

ProPublica did -- and is doing -- what LeverNews did with the toxic train derailment in East Palestine, showing regulatory capture and corruption from three consecutive administrations that led to the disaster.

Independent, non-corporate, subscriber-based news is a threat to corporate media, AND corporate narratives.

I'm thinking that Clarence & Ginni have a whole team of law students who are trying to figure out which trips, gatherings, gifts, real estate purchases, etc., the team at ProPublica knows about -- but haven't disclosed -- and which ones they don't know about.

I sincerely hope that Joshua Kaplan, Justin Elliott and Alex Mierjeski, of ProPublica.org, didn't show all their cards. Imagine the further embarrassment if Thomas & Alito finally do their late financial disclosures -- and remember, folks -- the form says that you have to list everything, under penalty of perjury -- and they didn't disclose something that ProPublica already knows about!!

Finally, here's some of Thom Hartmann's usual great insight. He doesn't think that the SCOTUS bribery is a quid pro quo; he believes (and the data backs him up) that the right-wing Justices are influenced by something more powerful than money: friendship.

Have Billionaires Outfitted Justices with Golden Handcuffs to Stop "Liberal Drift"?

Time for me to channel my inner Chapman is Gone. What a load. I can't believe the thread is going on, after the nothing burger Senate hearing where all nine Justices (including the 3 liberals) pulled a Logan Roy and told Dickless Durbin to go "f___- off." But wait, young people are taking over the media viewership on subscriber based hip internet media and will follow Pro-public's lead, to report the failure of SCOTUS justices to disclose based on their own what pro-pubic thinks the criteria should be, rather than the actual existing rules. Hey let's just get the SCOTUS scared by ignoring big evil corporate media, and scare those quivering Justices from going on another junket or commencement speech, or selling something again, by our massive following of Vox or whatever we think is cool.

Meanwhile BuzzFeed the only hip site formerly in the top 25 (all the others actually are corporate media that now have corporate internet news sites ) is adios, Vice is going bankrupt, Vox is laying off huge numbers. Salon basically lost its market valuation. This could go on for awhile. So where are all the young people? Maybe they are going to solo Thom and his huge un-corporate following. All 100 of them. Even PBS has stopped following because no one cares. The latest Alito reported junket got one line about Pro-public saying he didn't report a trip somewhere and Alioto getting essentially one word, where he was quoted as calling Pro-pubic as "misleading."

Politico, which can't be cool and must be corporate since I read it, was bought and ordered to adhere to the buyer's principles, including support for a united Europe, Israel's right to exist and a free-market economy, and that staff who disagreed with the principles "should not work at Politico." So a couple of those Politico guys started Axios, After some embarrassments and circulation problems, Axios got sold to good old corporate Cox and then fired it's led writer for describing a DeSantis event as "exposing the diversity equity and inclusion scam in higher education" as "propaganda" - how about that as corporate media you young whippersnappers? So what's next, Sotomayor gets impeached by the House?
Why are the liberal justices quiet on the Supreme Court ...https://thehill.com opinion judiciary 3992710-w...
No, even cool, hip internet sites visited by young righties gets ignore. So keep the echo chamber going.

[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjc0I7pjN3_AhU2h-4BHetzBfwQFnoECCIQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fopinion%2Fjudiciary%2F3992710-why-are-the-liberal-justices-quiet-on-the-supreme-court-ethics-scandal%2F&usg=AOvVaw1p5e4p4WJBRDf8rousuYMP&opi=89978449][/url]
bearister
In the old days, when a lot of us here were growing up, things were simpler. A crook was a crook, and everybody knew it. I'm not convinced anything has changed….except the dump truck full of bullsh@it crooks now throw at you purporting to explain how they aren't actually crooks.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

In the old days, when a lot of us here were growing up, things were simpler. A crook was a crook, and everybody knew it. I'm not convinced anything has changed….except the dump truck full of bullsh@it crooks now throw at you purporting to explain how they aren't actually crooks.
Spar me the nostalgic.

Rules for thee, but none for me! But what about our governing officials? In the modern era, they appear to be exempt from poor judgement and illegal activities - they just get reported on. Legislators take huge campaign contributions and then vote to support donor projects or cause. Yet they get their panties all tied up when a Judge goes to seminar on someone else's dime. Gavin Newsom had his constituents arrested for violating coronavirus closures, only to dine in public with public health officials at the French Laundry during the pandemic. Senator Ted Cruz illegally used campaign funds to promote his new book. He also fled for Cancun while his constituents suffered under ice storms and power outages. Taking a cue from Cruz, self-righteous Alexandria Oscar Cortez fled the C-19 lockdown in New York for Florida, where she was seen partying maskless. She came down with COVID shortly after her trip. Matt Gaetz was under so many ethics violations (including sex trafficking) it's mind boggling. Hunter Biden's laptop issues ranged from smoking crack to state secrets to outright denial to begrudging admission of something. The list goes on what young Biden did o may have done, and what dad knew or participated in. Yea, all 9 of SCOTUS take advantage of their position. So they all must be crooks and everything else is BS?

What you are saying is really misleading. Nice try for waxing about the old days. When you were young John Kennedy could screw who he wanted and everyone looked the other way. His father could buy votes and everyone looked the other way. The Justices like Douglas were far more abusive. LBJ took pride in being corrupt, in case you didn't read the biogrpahy. If your point had been the privileged were more privileged and that was simpler - I then agree. But your basic premise that a crook was a crook and now there is dump pile full of bullsh@t, is a pile of bullsh@t. Life was a lot more simple if you were more privledged or had a position of power when we grew-up. Life was a lot more complicated if you were a minority, poor or not connected. If you were in the latter group you were a crook. If not, no one knew about it.

bearister
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

That really does deserve a star. Touche!
AunBear89
Why do you love fetuses but hate women and children?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
Alito's Wife Leased Land to an Oil and Gas Firm While Justice Fought EPA

https://theintercept.com/2023/06/26/samuel-alito-oil-gas-supreme-court-environment/
BearHunter
AunBear89 said:

The gr**mers and ped*s love other people's children.
The Democratic Party can't define what a woman is.
Pro-life means mean pro-fetus, pro-babies.
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Can't we just all hate the witch who magically places babies in innocent women's tummies? She just seems to mark random women for abortion. Can we make her stop?
dajo9
oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

Can't we just all hate the witch who magically places babies in innocent women's tummies? She just seems to mark random women for abortion. Can we make her stop?

Your moralizing has no place in our politics.
American Vermin
chazzed
BearHunter
Ketanji Jackson served on Harvard's board and oversaw the affirmative action policies. But she did end up voting, since the case against UNC was also a part of this.
bearister
I think now is the appropriate time for a pictorial interlude to cleanse the intellectual palate, so to speak, before further discussion of this topic.

Ladies and Gentlemen, submitted for your consideration:

bearister
Where Clarence Thomas Entered an Elite Circle and Opened a Door to the Court DNyuz

https://dnyuz.com/2023/07/09/where-clarence-thomas-entered-an-elite-circle-and-opened-a-door-to-the-court/
chazzed
This thread may never end!

Unit2Sucks
chazzed said:

Unless you can point me to the language in the constitution clearly stating that SCOTUS aides can't receive bribes via Venmo or other electronic payment, I don't see what the problem is.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

chazzed said:

Unless you can point me to the language in the constitution clearly stating that SCOTUS aides can't receive bribes via Venmo or other electronic payment, I don't see what the problem is.

How much did his former clerks pay for the Christmas party and how was it? Was anyone swinging from the chandeliers? Did they make any videos drinking Tito's on a yacht?
tequila4kapp
chazzed said:

Not directed specifically at you… there's a level of naivete and stupidity in believing one side is pure as the driven snow and the other is purely evil…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/07/11/justice-sotomayor-book-orders-assocaited-press/70402253007/
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

chazzed said:

Not directed specifically at you… there's a level of navet and stupidity in believing one side is pure as the driven snow and the other is purely evil…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/07/11/justice-sotomayor-book-orders-assocaited-press/70402253007/
That's quite the false equivalence. For those who didn't click the link, the story is that Sotomayor's aides "suggested" or "pressed" for hosts (a library in Portland, and Clemson University) to order more copies of a childrens book she wrote to have available at events featuring Sotomayor. That could literally have been worth hundreds of dollars in income to her! Massive scandal alert.

Setting aside this laughable false equivalence, I don't think I've heard anyone claim that "one side is pure as the driven snow and the other is purely evil." If that's what t4k thinks is happening, perhaps he is suffering from the accusation he is making. My takeaway from this thread is that there is no amount of wrongdoing that would cause conservative defenders of Thomas to give up their ends justify the means defense.
tequila4kapp
Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

chazzed said:

Not directed specifically at you… there's a level of navet and stupidity in believing one side is pure as the driven snow and the other is purely evil…

That's quite the false equivalence. For those who didn't click the link, the story is that Sotomayor's aides "suggested" or "pressed" for hosts (a library in Portland, and Clemson University) to order more copies of a childrens book she wrote to have available at events featuring Sotomayor. That could literally have been worth hundreds of dollars in income to her! Massive scandal alert.

Setting aside this laughable false equivalence, I don't think I've heard anyone claim that "one side is pure as the driven snow and the other is purely evil." If that's what t4k thinks is happening, perhaps he is suffering from the accusation he is making. My takeaway from this thread is that there is no amount of wrongdoing that would cause conservative defenders of Thomas to give up their ends justify the means defense.
The tweet Chazzed linked effectively said just that. Progressives principled, conservatives corrupt.

Sotomayor's aides engaged in conduct that is ethically prohibited in all other branches of government, as well as the lower courts. In a thread questioning the ethics of another SCOTUS member that seems pretty spot on on point, not a false equivalency (ie, the amount of money is irrelevant).
chazzed
tequila4kapp said:

chazzed said:

Not directed specifically at you, but there's a level of naivete in bothsidesing in 2023. There is a level of stupidity in not believing your own eyes at a time when one of the two major parties has stopped holding its members accountable.
BearHunter
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

chazzed said:

The tweet Chazzed linked effectively said just that. Progressives principled, conservatives corrupt.

Sotomayor's aides engaged in conduct that is ethically prohibited in all other branches of government, as well as the lower courts. In a thread questioning the ethics of another SCOTUS member that seems pretty spot on on point, not a false equivalency (ie, the amount of money is irrelevant).
I don't think the tweet linked "effectively" made the general strawman statement you attempted to combat with an innocuous whatabout. If Thomas had been accused solely of having aides suggest that more of his childrens books be purchased at book signing events, I think that people would be laughed out of the room.

Perhaps I'm not as much as an expert in ethical obligations, can you point me to the prohibition in all other branches of government and the lower courts? Do you think that the conduct of Sotomayor's aides was beyond the pale? If I found identical behavior by conservative justices would you condemn it? Do you think that her aides' conduct presents a conflict of interest? If not, what ethical concerns do you have about the conduct?

To me, this is a whopper of a false equivalence akin to comparing George W Bush's use of cocaine as a young adult to Trump's retention and misuse of NDI. They are both "wrong" but only one is significant. I will leave it to the reader to guess which one.
bearister
BearHunter said:

I love the way a Tom, porno fan and sexual harasser like Thomas had the stones to play the race card…and his wife is a drunk caller Q aficionado.

Eastern Oregon Bear
Big Gay Al said:

Unit2Sucks said:

tequila4kapp said:

chazzed said:

Or $3.7 million

So you're asserting that the entire $3.7 million dollars Sotomayor has earned from book sales came from pressuring event hosts to buy copies of her books for her appearances?
bearister
tRump and company always accuse everyone of engaging in the conduct that they engage in. It is the "tell" of a very stupid 10 year old.

Republican committee bought Trump Jr book Triggered in bulk | Donald Trump Jr | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/22/republicans-bulk-bought-donald-trump-jr-triggered-book
dimitrig
bearister said:

tRump and company always accuse everyone of engaging in the conduct that they engage in. It is the "tell" of a very stupid 10 year old.

Republican committee bought Trump Jr book Triggered in bulk | Donald Trump Jr | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/22/republicans-bulk-bought-donald-trump-jr-triggered-book

They assume everyone else is as corrupt as they are and if you aren't then you must be stupid.

bearister
tRump will never get over his unsupportable belief that he was out cheated in the 2020 Election. Nothing drives an election rigger more crazy….and he won't let it happen again. He will put 80M votes on the board if he has to in 2024.
heartofthebear
BearHunter said:

AunBear89 said:

The gr**mers and ped*s love other people's children.
The Democratic Party can't define what a woman is.
Pro-life means mean pro-fetus, pro-babies.
It definitely doesn't mean controlling guns, ending the death penalty or investigating why a disproportionate number of wrongful convictions and death sentences involve black males in the south. So, yeah Republicans are gunna hypocrit. Cause that's what they do.
wifeisafurd
chazzed said:

This is the problem when a guy with questionable transactions becomes the subject of a witch-hunt. This is an absolutely bullcrap article that I'm sure you guys are retweeting on your other lib friends, while posting your self-righteous comments. And when you do this, and people read that this really is about a $20 donation that Thomas' former clerks make every year to pay their share of a reunion dinner they attend, everything you say is called into question. As my wife likes to remind me, every time a woman yells rape or abuse falsely, she is attacking all the women who actually suffer those fates.

Twenty Dollars https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/twenty-dollars/

wifeisafurd
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

They assume everyone else is as corrupt as they are and if you aren't then you must be stupid.

Sotomayor taking money from Puerto Rico at least bought the county one vote:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/discriminatory-puerto-ricans-decry-supreme-court-ruling-allowing-exclu-rcna25399

Maybe the Puerto Ricans should have partied with the other 8 Justices.

chazzed
wifeisafurd said:

chazzed said:

This is the problem when a guy with questionable transactions becomes the subject of a witch-hunt. This is an absolutely bullcrap article that I'm sure you guys are retweeting on your other lib friends, while posting your self-righteous comments. And when you do this, and people read that this really is about a $20 donation that Thomas' former clerks make every year to pay their share of a reunion dinner they attend, everything you say is called into question. As my wife likes to remind me, every time a woman yells rape or abuse falsely, she is attacking all the women who actually suffer those fates.

Spare me your indignation and pearl-clutching. The problem is that there is nothing Thomas could do that you wouldn't defend. You act like you're a discerning conservative, but you spew an endless stream of false equivalences in this forum.
wifeisafurd
chazzed said:

wifeisafurd said:

chazzed said:

Spare me your indignation and pearl-clutching. The problem is that there is nothing Thomas could do that you wouldn't defend. You act like you're a discerning conservative, but you spew an endless stream of false equivalences in this forum.

Gee the guy whining over the $20 donation for a reunion dinner is complaIng about false equivalents. How self-righteous of you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.