The Non-Yogi Israel-Palestine war thread

189,447 Views | 2533 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by tequila4kapp
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

I have another compromise solution. Get out of the middle east.

I'm guessing that, at some point, Israel would be overrun. You're okay with that?

I'm doubtful. Many have tried, none succeeded. This includes the time before the US was offering any significant support.
Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

I'm guessing that, at some point, Israel would be overrun. You're okay with that?

How come you don't ask about people being okay with Darfur being overrun?

Well, maybe if we had been talking about Darfur, I would have! Maybe multiple times!

Okay look, here's why I am a supporter of the idea of the state of Israel (admitting in advance that I am far from an expert on the situation):

1. Early last century the powers that be were kicking around the idea of having the state of Israel.

2. After the Holocaust, the idea really gained favor and ... voila.

3. Of course, it was done in "British Empire fashion" i.e. we can just carve new countries any way we want to because we have won the latest wars and have people who went to places like Oxford, Cambridge and Harvard. So, problematic from Day One.

4. Then, Israel hasn't really helped themselves with "the settlements" and all that, so while I am in favor of having a state of Israel, I frequently take issue with the Israeli government (especially lately).

Bottom line, while I am not extremely well versed on how negotiations for the Two State Solution have gone, that seems like the only way out of this. Sure, maybe we could just clear out of there and let the people who live there work it out, but I'm not sure that that's the way to go. It just seems potentially like Holocaust Part Deux. And it's also pretty hard to ignore the fact that a decent sized percentage of the world's Jewish population lives in the US. Someone can say that that's not relevant, but let's keep it real.

Anybody here is welcome to point out where I am wrong or enlighten me further as, again, I don't claim to be any sort of expert on this.
dajo9
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Well, maybe if we had been talking about Darfur, I would have! Maybe multiple times!

Okay look, here's why I am a supporter of the idea of the state of Israel (admitting in advance that I am far from an expert on the situation):

1. Early last century the powers that be were kicking around the idea of having the state of Israel.

3. Of course, it was done in "British Empire fashion" i.e. we can just carve new countries any way we want to because we have won the latest wars and have people who went to places like Oxford, Cambridge and Harvard. So, problematic from Day One.

4. Then, Israel hasn't really helped themselves with "the settlements" and all that, so while I am in favor of having a state of Israel, I frequently take issue with the Israeli government (especially lately).

Bottom line, while I am not extremely well versed on how negotiations for the Two State Solution have gone, that seems like the only way out of this. Sure, maybe we could just clear out of there and let the people who live there work it out, but I'm not sure that that's the way to go. It just seems potentially like Holocaust Part Deux. And it's also pretty hard to ignore the fact that a decent sized percentage of the world's Jewish population lives in the US. Someone can say that that's not relevant, but let's keep it real.

Anybody here is welcome to point out where I am wrong or enlighten me further as, again, I don't claim to be any sort of expert on this.

Why do we discuss finding a solution for Israel but not Darfur? People get killed all around the world. Why do we care about some and not others. My kids are 25% Hebrew heritage but 100% American. What is America's interest in the Middle East? None.
"The rules were that you were not going to fact check"
MAGA
movielover
I believe Mearsheimer adds the outsized influence today of the Israeli lobby on American politicians.
Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Why do we discuss finding a solution for Israel but not Darfur? People get killed all around the world. Why do we care about some and not others. My kids are 25% Hebrew heritage but 100% American. What is America's interest in the Middle East? None.

See the parts I emboldened. Add in having a BFF relationship with a country so close to the oil reserves. Also, not gonna lie, to a lot of America, Darfur seems so... so... foreign. Yes, that is code.

BTW, what is America's interest in Ukraine?
movielover
What's our interest in Ukraine? Afghanistan? Iraq?

Unending war for the MICC.
dajo9
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

See the parts I emboldened. Add in having a BFF relationship with a country so close to the oil reserves. Also, not gonna lie, to a lot of America, Darfur seems so... so... foreign. Yes, that is code.

We have an interest in weakening Russia who attempts to manipulate our elections with some success
MAGA
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

We have an interest in weakening Russia who attempts to manipulate our elections with some success
And just about all of our allies in Europe would like to make it clear that imperialist wars of conquest will not be acceptable.
movielover
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

And just about all of our allies in Europe would like to make it clear that imperialist wars of conquest will not be acceptable.

Unfortunately, the law of unintended consequences prevailed.

- Russia closer to China & Iran
- they now have a million man, trained military
- Military gear improved, manufacturing expanded
- Drone technology improved, expanded, and integrated
- NATO & EU crushed
- Ukraine, after $100-150 Billion invested by the US, is in shambles; Ukraine is wrecked
- Will the EU still attempt to sell off Ag land to the US Big Ag, and repopulate Ukraine with non-Ukrainian 'migrants'?
sycasey
movielover said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

- NATO & EU crushed
- Ukraine, after $100-150 Billion invested by the US, is in shambles; Ukraine is wrecked
- Will the EU still attempt to sell off Ag land to the US Big Ag, and repopulate Ukraine with non-Ukrainian 'migrants'?

Serious question: where do you get the idea that NATO and the EU are "crushed"? NATO has added members since the war started.
Big C
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

I agree with both dajo's and sycasey's reasons for us being involved in Ukraine. (i actually think Biden has handled that just about as well as it could be handled.)

My point is, there are also reasons for us to be involved in the Middle East (listed upthread). Some may disagree. I will admit, when Congress passed that recent spending bill, when they said "and XX billion for Israel", I did kind of cringe... mainly at the timing, but also at the signal that it sent Netanyahu.
Eastern Oregon Bear
sycasey said:

movielover said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

- NATO & EU crushed

Serious question: where do you get the idea that NATO and the EU are "crushed"? NATO has added members since the war started.
Colonel McGregor told him so and he's never wrong about anything, not even once. McGregor is the second son of God and walks on water. Surely you must worship him too.
movielover
sycasey said:

movielover said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

- NATO & EU crushed

- The EU is out of ammo and will take years to restock - when the war finally ends
- Thin supplies / machinery are further reduced
- The EU / NATO, already grappling with a mass 'migrant' invasion, now has millions of Ukranians dumped in their laps, many who will never go home.
- NATO / EU are tired of the Yankee military forays into foreign countries for dubious reasons
- We pay a financial cost but they get the refugees, and the next door nightmare (like Ukraine/ Russia)

Somebody believes the Russian fantasy had a major impact on our election?

Not Democrats illegally blocking election observers? Not rigged Dominion machines, routers, etc. Not thousands of vote 'Mules'. Or all of the swing state computer systems magically going down at the same time, rebooting about the same time, all with mathematically impossible early morning vote swings.

dajo9
movielover said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

- NATO & EU crushed

- The EU is out of ammo and will take years to restock - when the war finally ends
- The EU / NATO, already grappling with a mass 'migrant' invasion, now has millions of Ukranians dumped in their laps, many who will never go home.
- NATO / EU are tired of the Yankee military forays into foreign countries for dubious reasons
- We pay a financial cost but they get the refugees, and the next door nightmare (like Ukraine/ Russia)

Not Democrats illegally blocking election observers? Not rigged Dominion machines, routers, etc. Not thousands of vote 'Mules'. Or all of the swing state computer systems magically going down at the same time, rebooting about the same time, all with mathematically impossible early morning vote swings.

Do you even know the publisher of 2000 Mules has apologized and ceased distribution of the movie?
MAGA
CaliforniaEternal
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

I have family and friends in Israel. Millions of other Americans do also. Israel is also spiritually important for hundreds of millions of people around the world. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
dajo9
CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

I have family and friends in Israel. Millions of other Americans do also. Israel is also spiritually important for hundreds of millions of people around the world. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
I hope your friends and family stay safe. The last thing I want America to do is engage in things that are "spiritually important" in other parts of the world. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
MAGA
Eastern Oregon Bear
dajo9 said:

movielover said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

- NATO & EU crushed

Do you even know the publisher of 2000 Mules has apologized and ceased distribution of the movie?
Movielover doesn't care. The fakeumentary said what he desperately wanted to believe.
CaliforniaEternal
dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

I hope your friends and family stay safe. The last thing I want America to do is engage in things that are "spiritually important" in other parts of the world. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
You sound like a hardcore MAGA isolationist. Stability in the Middle East, and all other regions, is essential to America's interests. Our economy is not and cannot be not self-sufficient and Israel offers important R&D advancements in many fields. Saudi Arabia is the largest economy in the Middle East and close alignment with the US will help it develop further and diversify away from oil. It's also the most important hub for Muslim holy sites and can set an influential example for other Arab and Muslim countries. A stable Middle East benefits the US a lot more than attempting to pull up the draw bridge and dealing with contagion later on.
dajo9
CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

You sound like a hardcore MAGA isolationist. Stability in the Middle East, and all other regions, is essential to America's interests. Our economy is not and cannot be not self-sufficient and Israel offers important R&D advancements in many fields. Saudi Arabia is the largest economy in the Middle East and close alignment with the US will help it develop further and diversify away from oil. It's also the most important hub for Muslim holy sites and can set an influential example for other Arab and Muslim countries. A stable Middle East benefits the US a lot more than attempting to pull up the draw bridge and dealing with contagion later on.

When has the U.S. ever increased stability in the middle east? We destabilize the region, we get ourselves into quagmires there, and we cause more harm than good in a place that has nothing we need.
MAGA
Cal88
CaliforniaEternal
dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

When has the U.S. ever increased stability in the middle east? We destabilize the region, we get ourselves into quagmires there, and we cause more harm than good in a place that has nothing we need.

I'd say the US aligned Arab countries are in much better shape than the others. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, and Morocco. Orders of magnitude more stable than Iran-controlled Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Gaza. Things would certainly be better if Egypt had a more developed economy as the most populous ME country, but if they really fell off the wagon they'd turn into a Yemen real fast.
dajo9
CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

I'd say the US aligned Arab countries are in much better shape than the others. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, and Morocco. Orders of magnitude more stable than Iran-controlled Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Gaza. Things would certainly be better if Egypt had a more developed economy as the most populous ME country, but if they really fell off the wagon they'd turn into a Yemen real fast.

When did Iran become unstable?
MAGA
Cal88
CaliforniaEternal
Baruch hashem!!! It is a relief that Noa Argamani and three other hostages kidnapped during the massacre at the Nova music festival have been liberated.

Big C

That's great! I hereby call for the immediate release of all Israeli hostages and for both sides to accept a lasting, fair-as-can-be-to-both-sides two-state solution!
CaliforniaEternal
dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Are you just waking up from a 45 year coma?
dajo9
CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

When did it happen?
MAGA
oski003
dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

When did it happen?

dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

When did it happen?

1979. When the dictator installed by the U.S. was overthrown by Iranians after we coup'd the democratically elected government in 1953. Now that instability has spread like a virus to their friends. Imagine if the virus was the democracy we ended?

The U.S. has never brought stability to the middle east. We need to just leave.
MAGA
oski003
dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

When did it happen?

1979. When the dictator installed by the U.S. was overthrown by Iranians after we coup'd the democratically elected government in 1953. Now that instability has spread like a virus to their friends. Imagine if the virus was the democracy we ended?

You sound like a traitor. Was 1953 Iran worse than Obama and Biden's 2014 Ukrainian coup that may now escalate to a world war with Biden's pro-war cabinet calling the shots?
dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

When did it happen?

You sound like a traitor. Was 1953 Iran worse than Obama and Biden's 2014 Ukrainian coup that may now escalate to a world war with Biden's pro-war cabinet calling the shots?

People like you have called me a Traitor since I opposed the Iraq War in 2003. Meanwhile we all know you voted for GWB twice.
MAGA
oski003
dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

When did it happen?

People like you have called me a Traitor since I opposed the Iraq War in 2003. Meanwhile we all know you voted for GWB twice.

I didn't vote for GWB. I was fresh out of Cal and a Democrat. Is calling me a GWB voter your way of avoiding the reality that you support Biden's destabilizing coup of Ukraine and his policy that is resulting in a two plus year war?
dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

When did it happen?

I didn't vote for GWB. I was fresh out of Cal and a Democrat. Is calling me a GWB voter your way of avoiding the reality that you support Biden's destabilizing coup of Ukraine and his policy that is resulting in a two plus year war?

It's my way of not engaging with your Russian propaganda
MAGA
oski003
dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

When did it happen?

It's my way of not engaging with your Russian propaganda

The Easter Bunny labels everything he doesn't like as Russian propaganda. Sad.

Is this Russian propaganda too?

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/08/joe-biden-aides-family-business-dealings-00161476
Cal88

'Israel, with U.S. assistance, launched a so-called "hostage rescue" mission in Gaza.

Four Israeli hostages were rescued.

Three others, including an American citizen, were killed.

Along with more than 200 Palestinian civilians.

The IDF force took casualties, with at least one senior commander being killed.

In any normal society, this operation would be classified as a failure, and investigations launched.

In Zionist Israel, they are celebrating.

A question for Biden: what role did the U.S. military/intelligence community play in facilitating the murder of an American citizen at the hands of the IDF.

And is it acceptable practice for the U.S. to support military operations that kill hundreds of civilians to recover hostages whose release could have been secured simply by implementing a viable ceasefire?'

Statement from French parliament member Aymeric Caron:

"In heartbreaking footage from Gaza yesterday, a child is carried in the arms of an adult, probably his father. He seems dead. His arms and head hang in the air. His skull is open and reveals his brain which is escaping.

The adult is about to place him on the ground next to other corpses, in what looks like the courtyard of a hospital. Suddenly, at the last moment, the child who was thought to be dead raises an arm. The adult can't believe his eyes, he rushes into the hospital to try to save him, struck by hope.

The sequence ends there.
Unfortunately, we can guess what happens next.
Probably no doctor to take care of him, no adequate equipment. No doubt death, all the same, at the end of the agony, for this innocent child. The horrible death.

I still read comments that present the more than 200 deaths yesterday in the Nuseirat camp as "terrorists".

Above all, I read the silence of politicians and the media on the horror of this new massacre, confirming that for many of them the life of a Palestinian is not worth anything, or not much.

I have been reading, once again for 8 months, the bankruptcy of humanity."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.