White House has settled in

680,228 Views | 4703 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cbbass1
iwantwinners
How long do you want to ignore this user?
blungld said:

dajo9 said:

You are the biggest user of catch terms on this site by far.

Neo-liberal = capitalist. Got it.
Winner is in love with his new toy "virtue signaling" (which is both dated and trite) as he denounces the inferred meanings of things though that term only has purpose in its inferred meaning.
No, I said the epistemology of phrases isn't something I dwell on -- it's meaning is what I find relevant.

But mischaracterizing your opponent and their statements and points of views is a clever tactic when you've got nothing.
bearister
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/07/christian-democracy-authoritarianism-trump?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/apr/07/can-it-happen-here-review-trump-republicans-authoritarian-america-fascism?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
FuzzyWuzzy
B.A. Bearacus said:

I'm sure he finds the Constitution boring, too.

I'm sure he's never read it.
bearister
Strykur said:

...This kind of blows my mind.

As I fell asleep and dreamed
I dreamed I was in a Hollywood movie
And that I was the star of the movie
This really blew my mind
The fact that me an overfed long haired leaping gnome
Should be the star of a Hollywood movie, hmmm
bearister
FuzzyWuzzy said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

I'm sure he finds the Constitution boring, too.

I'm sure he's never read it.

He read the Constitution of Mar a Lago CC, especially the amendment relating to POTUS mulligans.
Another Bear
Exclusive: As elections near, many older, educated, white voters shift away from Trump's party
dajo9
Another Bear said:

Exclusive: As elections near, many older, educated, white voters shift away from Trump's party
Not on this site
American Vermin
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Another Bear said:

Not on this site
Stop virtue signaling.
iwantwinners
Sure, he's failed on his main campaign promise: immigration. You reap what you sow. (Congress isn't helping)
dajo9
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Another Bear said:

Not on this site
Stop virtue signaling.

Really, I don't know what that means
American Vermin
sycasey
dajo9 said:

sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Another Bear said:

Not on this site
Stop virtue signaling.

Really, I don't know what that means
I guess it's trying to be a good person in public. Big no-no these days apparently.
iwantwinners
LOL it's been explained what it is. If you ever forget, just re-read your own posts. Or basically the entire immigration thread. Or just about any discussion on guns. Or gender and sex.

Quote:

the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

the conspicuous expression of moral values done primarily with the intent of enhancing standing within a social group. The term was first used in signaling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue, especially piety among the religious. In recent years, the term has become more commonly used as a perjorative characterization by commentators to criticize what they regard as empty, or superficial support of certain political views, and also used within groups to criticize their own members for valuing outward appearance over substantive action.

Advocating a political or philosophical position, and/or taking up a public cause, from a position of vanity, for the primary purpose of demonstrating your conformity with fashionable pop culture values.

Angela's sudden advocacy for the local pet shelter was mostly an exercise in public relations and virtue signalling. She had never much cared for dogs and cats before, but she instinctively understood teary-eyed public support for defenseless animals generally said something good about her as a person.

Saying you love or hate something to show off what a virtuous person you are, instead of actually trying to fix the problem.

Jane: "Wow! I hate Fox News! They're so evil and they hate women!"
John: "Why don't you actually do something instead of just virtue signalling about it?"
Jane: "OMG that would be WAAAAAAY too much work" *goes back to ****posting on twitter*

dajo9
iwantwinners said:

LOL it's been explained what it is. If you ever forget, just re-read your own posts. Or basically the entire immigration thread. Or just about any discussion on guns. Or gender and sex.

Quote:

the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

the conspicuous expression of moral values done primarily with the intent of enhancing standing within a social group. The term was first used in signaling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue, especially piety among the religious. In recent years, the term has become more commonly used as a perjorative characterization by commentators to criticize what they regard as empty, or superficial support of certain political views, and also used within groups to criticize their own members for valuing outward appearance over substantive action.

Advocating a political or philosophical position, and/or taking up a public cause, from a position of vanity, for the primary purpose of demonstrating your conformity with fashionable pop culture values.

Angela's sudden advocacy for the local pet shelter was mostly an exercise in public relations and virtue signalling. She had never much cared for dogs and cats before, but she instinctively understood teary-eyed public support for defenseless animals generally said something good about her as a person.

Saying you love or hate something to show off what a virtuous person you are, instead of actually trying to fix the problem.

John: "Why don't you actually do something instead of just virtue signalling about it?"
Jane: "OMG that would be WAAAAAAY too much work" *goes back to ****posting on twitter*

tl;dr
American Vermin
dannymason

Thanks for the link.
blungld
iwantwinners said:

Quote:

Here's how it works: when Winners makes a point it's an exercise in pure logic--often ideas so advanced that most of the dumb Liberals on the board can't follow or are so gobsmacked by its clarity that they can't admit to the truth of his brilliance. But when a Liberal makes a point, it's emotional and only has value in so far as trying to signal to other Liberals that they are a "good person" (meaning that they are in line with the brainwashing of the Liberal agenda). They don't really mean what they say; they don't have aspirational beliefs or opinions; they don't have a have a rational point; and, of course, they are not REALLY a good person. The moral and intellectual high ground is owned in its entirety by Winners and he's here to make sure we all know it.

Virtue Signalling
Another Bear
Yup...my **** don't stink...but yours does!

I know...I know...I know what I am but what are you?
iwantwinners
blungld said:

Here's how it works: when Winners makes a point it's an exercise in pure logic--often ideas so advanced that most of the dumb Liberals on the board can't follow or are so gobsmacked by its clarity that they can't admit to the truth of his brilliance. But when a Liberal makes a point, it's emotional and only has value in so far as trying to signal to other Liberals that they are a "good person" (meaning that they are in line with the brainwashing of the Liberal agenda). They don't really mean what they say; they don't have aspirational beliefs or opinions; they don't have a have a rational point; and, of course, they are not REALLY a good person. The moral and intellectual high ground is owned in its entirety by Winners and he's here to make sure we all know it.

Virtue Signalling
You're desperate. You're intentionally building a strawman so you can knock it down and pat yourself on the back. I'd misrepresent my opponent's viewpoint too if all I did was regurgitate ideology and moralizing bereft of argument or persuasion.
going4roses
when is the last time you took a long hard look in the mirror

Just curious

BearChemist
I see a desperate troll keeps trying to label every liberal agendas as "virtue signaling." However, he or she is just not very good at it but in the meantime also refuses to accept it.
Another Bear
So why you guys feeding the troll...for ritual sacrifice later?
NYCGOBEARS
Another Bear said:

Fat troll chops are yummy.
blungld
iwantwinners said:

blungld said:

Virtue Signalling
You're desperate. You're intentionally building a strawman so you can knock it down and pat yourself on the back. I'd misrepresent my opponent's viewpoint too if all I did was regurgitate ideology and moralizing bereft of argument or persuasion.
Sniff. You got me. I'm so desperate.
Another Bear
NYCGOBEARS said:

Another Bear said:

Might I suggest pre-tenderizing first, you know those big giant spiky hammers? Then some sriracha might be nice.
NYCGOBEARS
Another Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Another Bear said:

Might I suggest pre-tenderizing first, you know those big giant spiky hammers? Then some sriracha might be nice.

Yes, good idea. Also, you must cook it well. Wouldn't want to get sick.
iwantwinners
blungld said:

iwantwinners said:

blungld said:

Virtue Signalling
The desperate always resort to misrepresenting their opponent's views. Why wouldn't you, all you do is tediously and sanctimoniously grind on the easiest target since O.J. as some sort of self-affirmation seeking. You engage in obscurantism 101 rather than actually making an argument. It's grade-school "he's bad and I'm good. I have zero evidence nor can I forumulate an argument, as I shouldn't have to. It's self-evident". I was that delusionally arrogant too...but I was 14.
NYCGOBEARS
iwantwinners said:

blungld said:

iwantwinners said:

blungld said:

Virtue Signalling
The desperate always resort to misrepresenting their opponent's views. Why wouldn't you, all you do is tediously and sanctimoniously grind on the easiest target since O.J. as some sort of self-affirmation seeking. You engage in obscurantism 101 rather than actually making an argument. It's grade-school "he's bad and I'm good. I have zero evidence nor can I forumulate an argument, as I shouldn't have to. It's self-evident". I was that delusionally arrogant too...but I was 14.

Are you 15 now?
going4roses
set himself up for that one ... bright as a sunny day
bearister
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04/inside-trumpworld-allies-fear-the-boss-could-go-postal-and-fire-mueller
okaydo
I don't see the problem with this. Those frequent flier miles are important!

okaydo

B.A. Bearacus
Personally, I am no longer a pee pee person. Not that I don't believe it didn't happen -- I just no longer see it as something that would lead to Trump's downfall. If it came to light, it would be completely brushed off by most Republicans and Fox. Trump lives in the gutter, so this wouldn't put him in a different category. Trump must realize that he would easily survive this (albeit, not without some personal embarrassment). I don't believe at all that this is the main reason Trump is afraid of Putin.
dajo9
The pee pee tape makes for fun media headlines bit I still think Trumps vulnerability to the Russians is financial. Loans, money laundering, etc. Money is the only thing Trump cares about, other than public adulation.
American Vermin
B.A. Bearacus
ABC snippet:

Comey: Trump commented "Do I look like a guy who needs hookers?"
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

ABC snippet:

Comey: Trump commented "Do I look like a guy who needs hookers?"

Jack Singer: We're gonna jump out of one plane?
Roy Bacon: At 3,000 feet.
Jack Singer: And these chutes are fool-proof, right?
Roy Bacon: Well, as the King( Elvis Presley) always said there's nothing in this world fool-proof other than a Coupe de Ville... and hookers!

-Honeymoon in Vegas
Another Bear
Trump and Cohen have requested a suppression of found evidence. Yup...trying to nick the PEE tape.

The saying goes it only matters if it's sex with girl and she's dead or a boy. My guess...the pee tape will leave an unpleasant taste in many American's mind.
First Page Last Page
Page 24 of 135

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.