Trump vs. Marshawn

6,801 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tequila4kapp
Bear19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

If you stand for the Anthem (as I do), you're standing to the above words - and honoring the freedom Francis Scott Key championed in the song. That includes the freedom not to stand for the Anthem if that is what you choose to do, plain and simple.
socaliganbear
tequila4kapp said:

socaliganbear said:

Strykur said:

Obvious problem when one anthem is protested, but the other is not.
It's not a protest against anthems at-large. It's a protest against a specific issue within the American criminal justice system. Which is not particularly related to the Mexican or other random national anthems.
Which ones? I have never seen specific issues articulated at all, just general notions of police violence against minorities - with a subsequent failure / unwillingness to actually discuss the facts of those cases - and frankly that is being kind, as Kaepernick's original statement didn't say a word about the police, but did speak about our so called oppressive government.
Maybe the issues are not articulated to your liking, sure. But surely, we can all at least agree that they are not issues with the Mexican government.
bearsandgiants
tired of the "freedom" bull **** the military hides under. The only risk to our freedom is from our own government, and when a flag represents "freedom" in a country that oppressed its own people, i see why people don't want to stand for that. Good for marshawn and Kaep and everyone else calling out the hypocrisy. We are actively starving millions of Yemenis to death with our "freedom fighters." And our "free" press isn't covering our involvement at all. This is a **** show, and our flag has become an international parody.
dajo9
BearGoggles said:

dajo9 said:

I don't understand the argument that kneeling disrespects veterans. The protest is clearly articulated and it has nothing to do with veterans.

In any case one of the best things about people getting their panties in a bunch over Marshawn is knowing that Marshawn could care less.
Because (i) the tradition of singing the anthem started during wartime, as a sign of patriotism and respect for military service; and (ii) the flag is an obvious symbol of patriotism (many vets will tell you they fought for the flag). As an aside, standing for the anthem is apparently a legal requirement - seems unconstitutional but who knew?

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title36/html/USCODE-2011-title36-subtitleI-partA-chap3-sec301.htm)

I disagree - the protest is not clearly articulated - that is part of the problem. Are they protesting police violence? Trump? Racial inequality? What the Texans owner said? No one really knows.

I think its disingenuous for you to claim bewilderment as to why veterans (and lots of other people) are upset by the kneeling. The ONLY reason the kneeling is occurring is because the kneelers know and intend for it to provoke that type of response in many people (akin to flag burning). They are choosing to kneel precisely because they know it is offensive to many.

It's no surprise that the tradition became entrenched during a time of peak patriotism driven by war. I was always raised to believe we celebrate the national anthem because we are celebrating our country and our freedoms. If it is strictly about the military then I would prefer we do away with the tradition. Exalting the military above the country is the stuff of dictatorships. Your argument makes me more inclined to want to support the protesters.
American Vermin
graguna
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

LunchTime said:

OaktownBear said:

yosemitebear said:

I don't agree with our President's frequent tweeting but Marshawn's actions are the key issue here. My father, a WWII veteran, made sure that as young boys my brother and I showed respect during the playing of the National Anthem. It was very important to him and I have carried that attitude until today. Standing for one anthem over another has taken me over the breaking point. The NFL has lost most of its allure for me and sadly Marshawn is no longer someone I will follow or cheer for.
Go Bears!

I've made it clear that I don't like the national anthem protests, but I don't understand how standing for the Mexican anthem makes it worse. The protest isn't about anthems. It is about perceived injustice in the AMERICAN criminal justice system. Why would somebody making that protest sit for the Mexican anthem? Would you have expected American bronze medal winners in the 1968 Olympics to give the black power salute on the medal stand while they played God Save the Queen?

As for the other poster's point about Mexico being worse, so what? Mexico isn't our country. I certainly don't think that the standard for protesting for the betterment of our country is that if we aren't the worst in the world at something you have to protest every country below us. I guess this is the difference between viewing protest as an unpatriotic act of disrespect vs. viewing is as a patriotic attempt to make this country the best it can be regardless of how it compares to others.

I would hope they would: the racial inequality in the Americas is rooted in the UK, French, Spanish, etc Emipres need to have profitable colonies. To dismiss that is pretty simplistic.

Also, the issue I have with the standing for the Mexican anthem is that if it is about race and inequality (and it is), it seems disingenuous to make the statement that only Americans matter. It oddly mixes in Nationalism.

When Blacks in America protested against segregation and for civil rights, Blacks in South Africa faced a more stringent form of segregation and arguably had it worse than Blacks in America. Yet it took another 20-30 years for people to take up the cause of South Africans. Were they wrong or "nationalist" for not taking up the cause of South Africans while fighting for their rights at home?

Americans have little influence over Mexico or any of the other UK, French, Spanish, etc. former colonies. If Marshawn wishes to kneel for the Spanish national anthem to protest the oppression of Catalunya, fine by me, but he is not required to do so in order to make a point about what he views as oppression in the United States as an American citizen.

And yes, as a citizen of the United States, as a member of it's culture and society, as a voter and tax payer I have more of a right and responsibility to see that my country's policies are just than I do every other country in the world. And as a practical matter there is no freaking way I can protest every injustice in the world. Basically your criticism essentially undercuts every single person who protests anything anywhere.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think there is a lot of nuance presented by your analogy. For example, what should Tommie Smith and John Carlos have done in 1968 if/when the South African anthem was played? What would 1960s civil rights protesters have done if the SA anthem was played? Obviously, there is no "requirement" that they protest racial or criminal injustice outside the US, but it does go to credibility and context if they don't.

I agree that we all have a greater stake in the political systems and "facts on the ground" in our own country, but that doesn't mean we should overlook comparable injustice in other countries - or perhaps have context as to how our imperfect country compares to other countries.

If standing for an anthem is a sign of respect (or contra, kneeling is a sign of protest), then it does call into question how Marshawn (or others) can protest perceived racial injustice in the US by kneeling, and then stand in respect for an equally imperfect foreign country's national anthem - and when it comes to racial/socio-economic justice, equal protections, etc., a strong case can be made that Mexico and/or England (where other games have been played) are far worse than the US. And that is why standing for the Mexican anthem seems relevant in my view.

I would also add that these types of protests used to not occur on foreign soil - that tradition has eroded in recent years.

Bottom line for me is I like Marshawn - I think he's good hearted and sincere - his actions over a long period of time speak to that. I don't think that about Kap and he certainly does not have Marshawn's long track record of giving back and speaking up for his community (and I disagree with the prior poster who said they thought Kap was intelligent - I've seen no indication of that). I don't like the kneeling, but the players have that right. It hasn't caused me to stop watching NFL games - though apparently many people have (which of course is their right). From the NFL's perspective, it is foolish of them to permit the kneeling for business reasons (why alienate a significant portion of your fan base), but it is a private company and can act however it wants.

Then BG, I have to say I'm disappointed in you. There have been literally thousands of posts here that I would have thought you disagreed with, but given ample opportunity to express your disagreement, you have not. I can only assume you agree with those posts. Of course you are not required to disagree, but it certainly goes to credibility when you don't.

And worse. You disagree with good Cal fans when there are far more egregious posts on the Stanford, USC, and UCLA boards. Nothing from you there.

Nice dodge. Obviously a big difference between a celebrity/athlete making a political statement on national tv (when confronted with two anthems played back to back) vs. posters on an internet bulletin board. But of course, you knew that. No one is asking Marshawn (or whoever) to protest every injustice in the world. But protesting your country's anthem while immediately thereafter honoring another country's anthem by standing - on foreign soil - is a pretty obviously connection/comparison. Why not kneel for both? I understand your point - that he's not obligated to protest the other country - but don't be surprised when people negatively point out the disparity in how Marshawn (or whoever) respects his own country's flag/anthem vs. the foreign country's.

And I note that its not entirely clear what Marshawn was doing - because he hasn't and won't say. But in the earlier game in England, athletes did kneel for ours and stand for theirs.

OaktownBear - this is well below your typically well thought out posts. Try again. You can do better.

"pretesting the national anthem" is that what you think they're doing? I guess just like Rosa Parks was protesting the bus and Ali protested his olympic medal.
BearlyCareAnymore
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

LunchTime said:

OaktownBear said:

yosemitebear said:

I don't agree with our President's frequent tweeting but Marshawn's actions are the key issue here. My father, a WWII veteran, made sure that as young boys my brother and I showed respect during the playing of the National Anthem. It was very important to him and I have carried that attitude until today. Standing for one anthem over another has taken me over the breaking point. The NFL has lost most of its allure for me and sadly Marshawn is no longer someone I will follow or cheer for.
Go Bears!

I've made it clear that I don't like the national anthem protests, but I don't understand how standing for the Mexican anthem makes it worse. The protest isn't about anthems. It is about perceived injustice in the AMERICAN criminal justice system. Why would somebody making that protest sit for the Mexican anthem? Would you have expected American bronze medal winners in the 1968 Olympics to give the black power salute on the medal stand while they played God Save the Queen?

As for the other poster's point about Mexico being worse, so what? Mexico isn't our country. I certainly don't think that the standard for protesting for the betterment of our country is that if we aren't the worst in the world at something you have to protest every country below us. I guess this is the difference between viewing protest as an unpatriotic act of disrespect vs. viewing is as a patriotic attempt to make this country the best it can be regardless of how it compares to others.

I would hope they would: the racial inequality in the Americas is rooted in the UK, French, Spanish, etc Emipres need to have profitable colonies. To dismiss that is pretty simplistic.

Also, the issue I have with the standing for the Mexican anthem is that if it is about race and inequality (and it is), it seems disingenuous to make the statement that only Americans matter. It oddly mixes in Nationalism.

When Blacks in America protested against segregation and for civil rights, Blacks in South Africa faced a more stringent form of segregation and arguably had it worse than Blacks in America. Yet it took another 20-30 years for people to take up the cause of South Africans. Were they wrong or "nationalist" for not taking up the cause of South Africans while fighting for their rights at home?

Americans have little influence over Mexico or any of the other UK, French, Spanish, etc. former colonies. If Marshawn wishes to kneel for the Spanish national anthem to protest the oppression of Catalunya, fine by me, but he is not required to do so in order to make a point about what he views as oppression in the United States as an American citizen.

And yes, as a citizen of the United States, as a member of it's culture and society, as a voter and tax payer I have more of a right and responsibility to see that my country's policies are just than I do every other country in the world. And as a practical matter there is no freaking way I can protest every injustice in the world. Basically your criticism essentially undercuts every single person who protests anything anywhere.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think there is a lot of nuance presented by your analogy. For example, what should Tommie Smith and John Carlos have done in 1968 if/when the South African anthem was played? What would 1960s civil rights protesters have done if the SA anthem was played? Obviously, there is no "requirement" that they protest racial or criminal injustice outside the US, but it does go to credibility and context if they don't.

I agree that we all have a greater stake in the political systems and "facts on the ground" in our own country, but that doesn't mean we should overlook comparable injustice in other countries - or perhaps have context as to how our imperfect country compares to other countries.

If standing for an anthem is a sign of respect (or contra, kneeling is a sign of protest), then it does call into question how Marshawn (or others) can protest perceived racial injustice in the US by kneeling, and then stand in respect for an equally imperfect foreign country's national anthem - and when it comes to racial/socio-economic justice, equal protections, etc., a strong case can be made that Mexico and/or England (where other games have been played) are far worse than the US. And that is why standing for the Mexican anthem seems relevant in my view.

I would also add that these types of protests used to not occur on foreign soil - that tradition has eroded in recent years.

Bottom line for me is I like Marshawn - I think he's good hearted and sincere - his actions over a long period of time speak to that. I don't think that about Kap and he certainly does not have Marshawn's long track record of giving back and speaking up for his community (and I disagree with the prior poster who said they thought Kap was intelligent - I've seen no indication of that). I don't like the kneeling, but the players have that right. It hasn't caused me to stop watching NFL games - though apparently many people have (which of course is their right). From the NFL's perspective, it is foolish of them to permit the kneeling for business reasons (why alienate a significant portion of your fan base), but it is a private company and can act however it wants.

Then BG, I have to say I'm disappointed in you. There have been literally thousands of posts here that I would have thought you disagreed with, but given ample opportunity to express your disagreement, you have not. I can only assume you agree with those posts. Of course you are not required to disagree, but it certainly goes to credibility when you don't.

And worse. You disagree with good Cal fans when there are far more egregious posts on the Stanford, USC, and UCLA boards. Nothing from you there.

Nice dodge. Obviously a big difference between a celebrity/athlete making a political statement on national tv (when confronted with two anthems played back to back) vs. posters on an internet bulletin board. But of course, you knew that. No one is asking Marshawn (or whoever) to protest every injustice in the world. But protesting your country's anthem while immediately thereafter honoring another country's anthem by standing - on foreign soil - is a pretty obviously connection/comparison. Why not kneel for both? I understand your point - that he's not obligated to protest the other country - but don't be surprised when people negatively point out the disparity in how Marshawn (or whoever) respects his own country's flag/anthem vs. the foreign country's.

And I note that its not entirely clear what Marshawn was doing - because he hasn't and won't say. But in the earlier game in England, athletes did kneel for ours and stand for theirs.

OaktownBear - this is well below your typically well thought out posts. Try again. You can do better.

Sorry, but I think you are the one either with the poorly thought out post, or it is a well thought out obfuscation. Basically you are engaging in the latest dodge in political discourse. What John Oliver comedically called "whataboutism". Faced with a position you don't like, you say "oh yeah. What about this or that." The anthem protests are about the treatment of Black Americans by American law enforcement. It has nothing to do with Mexico. It does nothing to the credibility of Marshawn's point if he is not aware of or not concerned with the practices of Mexican law enforcement. (Frankly my knowledge of Mexican law enforcement is basically the line "badges? We don't need no stinking badges"). Given what his protest is, there was no logical connection to protesting the Mexican anthem. It is purely an illogical, emotional response that it is somehow saying Mexico is better than the US when it clearly is not saying that if anyone thought about it for 1 second rather than giving a visceral response.

Ill acknowledge for you right now that I think our current criminal justice system ranks high in the world. But I hold it to a higher standard as it is the one I pay for, that protects me and that represents me. If my A student child comes to me with a C and I say what the hell, I'm not going to put up with "what about Billy? He always gets C's.". Frankly, I don't give a damn about Mexico's internal practices. If I choose to protest US practice on something, it is not saying the US is worse than any where else in the world. It is saying I believe my country can do better.
pappysghost
I want to see President Trump, the best tackling president ever, tackle Marshawn.
TheSouseFamily
Marshawn's interview with this Mexican journalist is hilarious.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/11/21/16684572/marshawn-lynch-post-game-interview-mexico-video
Bears2thDoc
Bear19 said:

"O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

If you stand for the Anthem (as I do), you're standing to the above words - and honoring the freedom Francis Scott Key championed in the song. That includes the freedom not to stand for the Anthem if that is what you choose to do, plain and simple.
Or.....
Shove hotdogs in ones mouth, or drink a beverage.....or go pee.
Or play it like Hendrix did ....thumbs up!
Or sing it like Rosanne.....vomit!
Golden One
Oh, brother! What a bunch of gobbledegook. Talk about an illogical rant. You promote the right to protest and criticize, yet blast my criticism of Lynch. Talk about hypocrisy!
okaydo
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

LunchTime said:

OaktownBear said:

yosemitebear said:

Go Bears!

72CalBear
Bears! How does this (and any other protest) affect you personally? Why does Marshawn's POV matter to you? Ask yourself what it means to YOU! Why do these people hold so much power over the media, and in turn, you? Are you part of the American Reality Show that we are all wallowing in? Freedom of expression allows you to turn the channel and to stop feeding the media that you may not support.
BearlyCareAnymore
Golden One said:

Oh, brother! What a bunch of gobbledegook. Talk about an illogical rant. You promote the right to protest and criticize, yet blast my criticism of Lynch. Talk about hypocrisy!

I'm not going to call you racist or keep the racial overtones of the argument, but without the racial component to his charge, he has a point. You claim these athletes have more constructive options than to be protesting against police violence. Don't you have more constructive options than criticizing athletes who do so? Isn't this really the easy thing to do for you rather than say fight world hunger? How are you different than Marshawn?

I support your right to choose to criticize Marshawn and I won't belittle your opinion by claiming you should be out spending your time supporting families of slain police officers because that would be far more meaningful to those officers and families than protecting them from Marshawn's knee. You get to express your opinion how you want about what you want. And so does Marshawn.
gobears725
Some of these guys I question how much they have studied and researched the issues.

For instance are they aware of the different strategies being used to try to combat crime in their own neighborhoods? In various inner cities what law enforcement is trying is to try to target the gangs themselves by going and actually trying to talk them out of gang activity. Some programs are even paying the gang members to stop their activity. In otherwords, the police, communities I believe are trying.

In the mid 1990's law enforcement began policing inner city communities in a more strict fashion. Many in law enforcement believe that this strategy resulted in what has been an approximately 50% drop in crime in inner cities since the 1990's Despite the statistical success, this tactic has without a doubt caused resentment towards the police from the communities, which I believe is evident in what you see today in the anthem protests.

Perhaps some change is needed, different strategies could probably be used that dont cause as much resentment.

The thing that bothers me slightly about the anthem protests is that it seems to point to racism as the primary motivating factor behind the barriers that people in inner city communities face. I just don't think so. Some of it is ancient law such how property taxes are distributed locally to education which is why you see inequality in relation to public schools. There probably needs to be reform but its not racially motivated.

I brought up the police because again they're pointing to the perceived injustices by the police and criminal justice system but then the police would say that their strategy is reducing crime. One thing to point out is that racial profiling by the police is already illegal.

From there, its also about getting local politicians to embrace economic revitalization in inner cities, sort of what Oakland has tried to work towards in recent years, so that people can go to work. Another study that I saw found that a decent percentage of people in inner cities want to work if presented with a job.
sycasey
gobears725 said:

The thing that bothers me slightly about the anthem protests is that it seems to point to racism as the primary motivating factor behind the barriers that people in inner city communities face. I just don't think so. Some of it is ancient law such how property taxes are distributed locally to education which is why you see inequality in relation to public schools. There probably needs to be reform but its not racially motivated.
It goes a bit deeper than that, though. Part of the reason black people have disproportionately lower rates of property ownership and tend to live in areas where the property is valued lower is because of historical practices that WERE based on racism. That part should also be acknowledged. It doesn't mean that everyone who benefits from the system now is racist, but they are benefiting from the racism of the past.
OBear073akaSMFan
People can debate all they want bottomline Marshawn has his free speech rights. Only person winning is Trump who probably doesn't gave a hoot about Marshawn but only wants to divert attention away from his own problems. Great, now the Moron rather have a pediphillia in the senate than "the liberal democrat". Think he has been talking to Bannon or Steven Miller too much.
B.A. Bearacus
Let's just remember that it's this god-awful damn fool with a seeming distaste for "ungrateful" black people who is dictating what we should be focusing our attention on and heatedly fighting with each other about:

tequila4kapp
panoramicknob said:

CAL6371 said:

This is all such nonsense - Black Lives Matter and these protests.
For every white cop who kills a black man 3000 black men are killed by other black men.
These protests are like a man with stage four lung cancer continuing to smoke and complaining about his severely infected toe. Yes, that toe is a problem and needs to be treated, but in context it is absurd to make it the main focus of attention.
There are bad cops, racist cops, lying cops and problem cops - I saw it for over 30 years working in law enforcement and talked about it to the press. These individuals need to be fired.
The black community has several terrible problems - violence by its own members, a 67% rate of births out of wedlock, extremely high rates of unemployment among the young,, poor education etc. These are far mote important problems to address. But addressing addressing them involves criticizing people who are not in law enforcement, so these protesters don't want to address those issues.
Jesus you are a racist *****
Those statements are largely factually accurate. But maybe I'm missing something here - how is this racist? Short of that, I think it is shameful that you label someone a racist just because you disagree with them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.