The Babes of News Thread

26,795 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
B.A. Bearacus said:

Do you really think that, all things being equal (smart, insightful, articulate), that there is no professional advantage to televised news men and women being telegenic? Do you think the level of attractive people you find on new shows is the same as in print news rooms?

You are probably right about that. I'm not sure it's something to be celebrated, though.

B.A. Bearacus said:

Is finding women cute being "lecherous"? Choosing pictures of people in a news setting at a desk (or at a press briefing) isn't setting a tone of lechery -- but maybe your definition of lechery is a lot looser than mine.

Finding women attractive is not lecherous. Pictures, in and of themselves, are not lecherous. Starting a thread in which you are actively looking for pictures of what you'd call "babes" is a bit lecherous, yes. This doesn't exactly make you history's greatest monster, but it does dilute your argument if you're also going to go after, for example, the lewd behavior of Donald Trump.

I'm not entirely against bikini threads. Swimsuit models, for example, know that they are there to be looked at and found attractive. Female journalists, while I'm sure they know it comes with the territory, aren't necessarily getting into the business for that reason.

B.A. Bearacus said:

Aside from "Interesting Eric Clapton Documentary", what in OT do you not expect to devolve into "partisan bickering"?

You seriously think your use of a Fox News graphic was not a poke at the board's conservatives? In most of your other threads I can at least see where you might be looking for an open discussion about an issue. Sure, that can also result in partisan bickering, but at least you've got the benefit of the doubt there. Given how you started this thread, not so much here. It looked to me like you were picking a fight.
B.A. Bearacus
sycasey said:

I'm not entirely against bikini threads. Swimsuit models, for example, know that they are there to be looked at and found attractive. Female journalists, while I'm sure they know it comes with the territory, aren't necessarily getting into the business for that reason.

You seriously think your use of a Fox News graphic was not a poke at the board's conservatives? In most of your other threads I can at least see where you might be looking for an open discussion about an issue. Sure, that can also result in partisan bickering, but at least you've got the benefit of the doubt there. Given how you started this thread, not so much here. It looked to me like you were picking a fight.

I'm not a fan of bikini threads or modeling in general because there isn't enough balanced representation of large body types. Things like the SI Swimsuit Issue should be banned until they have more women in the 200-300lb range represented.

Everything must die, including threads. It's also true that sometimes slow-motion trainwrecks can be entertaining. There were one or two posters who made me giggle in this thread, so it was worth the energy I expended typing a sentence and clicking the "New Post" button.
sycasey
B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

I'm not a fan of bikini threads or modeling in general because there isn't enough balanced representation of large body types. Things like the SI Swimsuit Issue should be banned until they have more women in the 200-300lb range represented.

Everything must die, including threads. It's also true that sometimes slow-motion trainwrecks can be entertaining. There were one or two posters who made me giggle in this thread, so it was worth the energy I expended typing a sentence and clicking the "New Post" button.
If you were just looking to provoke some kind of conversation, no matter the tenor, then mission accomplished, I suppose.
calbear93
sycasey said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

If you were just looking to provoke some kind of conversation, no matter the tenor, then mission accomplished, I suppose.
These are just locker room talks. It's just how real men talk. They were just having a giggle.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming where these true heroes of the liberal faith present why all white men are evil and how old guys can be cool by posting pictures with references to '70's pop culture.
iwantwinners
Another Bear said:

I LOVE conservatives giving me PC lessons. The irony and stupidity is YUUUUGE!

Now it's my turn. I'm going to tell you conservatives how to be better authoritarians and fascists..elect Trump. There you guys are now more authoritarian and fascist.

I could be wrong, and I don't want to speak for 93, but I don't think he's giving you a PC lecture as much as he is pointing out the irony and hypocrisy of some of this. I certainly don't find the OP inappropriate in general, but I do find it ironic given that if you criticized a woman in a different setting, there'd be a fatwa issued by people like yourself. Thus, you wouldn't do it. It only occurs to you that it's approrpriate when it's somebody you oppose politically and ideologically. Like I said, I could be wrong.
iwantwinners
B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

By the way, this is me not being silent about it. I do find the entire purpose behind this thread distasteful. I didn't say anything until now because I honestly hadn't noticed it until I looked at all the OT threads and saw one that had a lot of replies but that I hadn't read through yet. So your outrage is misplaced with me.

I also didn't "revive" the thread. Judging by the dates on the posts, it's had consistent replies for the last three days before I showed up.

Sycasey, I consider you to be a reasonable voice. If you genuinely find it distasteful for me to just kill some off-season time with you lovable randos on an Off Topic board that is anchored to a FOOTBALL board (context) by calling out women who I admire for their minds and the jobs they do to keep me informed, and who happen to be cute, please let me know and I'll do what I can to kill this thread.

This is a thread devoted to discussing women "in the news" and appreciating them only for their physical attractiveness. We're not talking about actresses or models here, people who know their business is largely based on looks. We're talking about women who are at least trying to be taken seriously as professionals. Is there anything to be gained from this conversation, other than lecherous leering?

I'm also not sure how you would have expected this to devolve into anything other than partisan bickering, after you concluded your opening string of posts with a Fox News graphic and an assertion that there are no attractive newswomen there.

Do you really think that, all things being equal (smart, insightful, articulate), that there is no professional advantage to televised news men and women being telegenic? Do you think the level of attractive people you find on new shows is the same as in print news rooms?

Is finding women cute being "lecherous"? Choosing pictures of people in a news setting at a desk (or at a press briefing) isn't setting a tone of lechery -- but maybe your definition of lechery is a lot looser than mine.

Aside from "Interesting Eric Clapton Documentary", what in OT do you not expect to devolve into "partisan bickering"?

But seriously -- context. We are only here because we are fans of Cal football. It's a game where we rejoice in violence, drinking, cheerleaders, talking constant shiit about a university in Palo Alto, and piped in music to varying degrees. Within this main reason we are here is this little booger of a section called Off Topic, within which, partly as a way to foster more engagement or just a little completely harmless entertainment for some of the 10-20 dudes who are on here, I created this thread, which has subsequently been killed from all sides: left, right, and from above.
We actually agree here.
calbear93
iwantwinners said:

Another Bear said:

I LOVE conservatives giving me PC lessons. The irony and stupidity is YUUUUGE!

Now it's my turn. I'm going to tell you conservatives how to be better authoritarians and fascists..elect Trump. There you guys are now more authoritarian and fascist.

I could be wrong, and I don't want to speak for 93, but I don't think he's giving you a PC lecture as much as he is pointing out the irony and hypocrisy of some of this. I certainly don't find the OP inappropriate in general, but I do find it ironic given that if you criticized a woman in a different setting, there'd be a fatwa issued by people like yourself. Thus, you wouldn't do it. It only occurs to you that it's approrpriate when it's somebody you oppose politically and ideologically. Like I said, I could be wrong.
You're definitely not wrong. It isn't as if these irrelevant fakers actually register in society, and I am trying to prevent some imminent evil. It is just another highlight of how bankrupt most of the liberal agenda is. Even they don't believe what they say.
B.A. Bearacus
sycasey said:

My personal preference is for threads to stay on the rails for at least a minute, but sometimes fate or inspiration takes a thread in different directions. Do you really think this thread would have been spared being called out for "liberal hypocrisy" if I hadn't mentioned Fox? Thiiiiiiink about it.

My least favorite threads, though, are ones where there is too much metadiscourse and overthinking about a babes thread in the Off Topic subsection of a football forum with an audience of 20 dudes (14 of them with "Bear" in their names).
sycasey
B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

My personal preference is for threads to stay on the rails for at least a minute, but sometimes fate or inspiration takes a thread in different directions. Do you really think this thread would have been spared been called out for "liberal hypocrisy" without my mention of Fox? Thiiiiiiink about it.
I think there's a chance it could have been avoided, yes.

But I also think that as a liberal I should try my best to live by my values/principles. Part of that is not deliberately picking fights with people. They'll do what they do, but I won't be the instigator.

Anyway, this digression has gone on long enough. You asked why I found this thread distasteful, I answered. I won't challenge your right to say whatever you want on this board.
BearsWiin
sycasey said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

My personal preference is for threads to stay on the rails for at least a minute, but sometimes fate or inspiration takes a thread in different directions. Do you really think this thread would have been spared been called out for "liberal hypocrisy" without my mention of Fox? Thiiiiiiink about it.

But I also think that as a liberal I should try my best to live by my values/principles. Part of that is not deliberately picking fights with people. They'll do what they do, but I won't be the instigator.

Anyway, this digression has gone on long enough. You asked why I found this thread distasteful, I answered. I won't challenge your right to say whatever you want on this board.
Heeey, just a little hypothetical for you to chew on, since we're all friends here, well, most of us, at least: You find yourself in front of a roaring fire in the great room of a secluded mountain chalet with Katy Tur and Hallie Jackson, the three of you clad only in short paisley-patterned silk robes and warm comfortable slippers, and on the coffee table sits a bowl of edible gummies, two bottles of fine champagne chilling in ice, and a tub of whipped cream. Do you:

A) Avoid eye contact and stare pensively into the fire, thinking of how the evening's events might unfold in a most distasteful manner

B) Rummage through the closets looking for a guitar so you can teach them Stanfurd Jonah

C) Curl up together on the couches with the gummies and bubbly, and dish about whether the blondes-from-a-bottle over on Fox really do have more fun, or how poor SHS's face ever got into that partially-melted state

D) Impress them with your memory of Starkey's call of The Play, which you perform for them through interpretive dance

E) Start off the evening with an awkward "hanging chad" joke

F) All of the above

G) B and D, but not C and E

H) C and E, but not B and D

I) Other
sycasey
BearsWiin said:

sycasey said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

Heeey, just a little hypothetical for you to chew on, since we're all friends here, well, most of us, at least: You find yourself in front of a roaring fire in the great room of a secluded mountain chalet with Katy Tur and Hallie Jackson, the three of you clad only in short paisley-patterned silk robes and warm comfortable slippers, and on the coffee table sits a bowl of edible gummies, two bottles of fine champagne chilling in ice, and a tub of whipped cream. Do you:

A) Avoid eye contact and stare pensively into the fire, thinking of how the evening's events might unfold in a most distasteful manner

B) Rummage through the closets looking for a guitar so you can teach them Stanfurd Jonah

C) Curl up together on the couches with the gummies and bubbly, and dish about whether the blondes-from-a-bottle over on Fox really do have more fun, or how poor SHS's face ever got into that partially-melted state

D) Impress them with your memory of Starkey's call of The Play, which you perform for them through interpretive dance

F) All of the above

I) Other
Definitely D. I'm a wizard at interpretive dance.
BearsWiin
sycasey said:

BearsWiin said:

sycasey said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

F) All of the above

I) Other
So if you're Kevin Moen, which one of them gets to be Gary Tyrrell? Or do they take turns?

B.A. Bearacus
B.A. gonna sit this one out.

bearister
A picture of sycasey doing interpretive dance with Tur is circulating on the internet.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
BearsWiin said:

sycasey said:

BearsWiin said:

sycasey said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

F) All of the above

I) Other
So if you're Kevin Moen, which one of them gets to be Gary Tyrrell? Or do they take turns?

First I might have to find out what my wife thinks about it.

BearsWiin
sycasey said:

BearsWiin said:

sycasey said:

BearsWiin said:

sycasey said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

F) All of the above

I) Other

First I might have to find out what my wife thinks about it.

Is she a Cal grad too? If so, then she'll definitely be cool with it. She's in the chalet next door, where Brian Williams is reading Fox in Socks to her in his best Walter Cronkite voice, while Anderson Cooper paints her toenails.
BearsWiin
B.A. Bearacus said:

B.A. gonna sit this one out.

so it's A for you, then? The correct answer is, of course, G. Oski weeps for any BI poster who can't manage a little B and D out of an evening like that.
B.A. Bearacus
I'm sitting this one out in so far as I won't comment on Tur and Jackson hypotheticals, other than to say I appreciate their intellects and that it would be fun to be in a book club with them.
B.A. Bearacus
bearister said:

Bearister, your posting of this photo is the height of liberal hypocrisy. Ever heard of #metoo? I'm floored, speechless, and downright flabbergasted by your contradictions. You best not show me this picture in real life or I will give you a private "Tur" of my muscular physique, which you will not like.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

bearister said:

Bearister, your posting of this photo is the height of liberal hypocrisy. Ever heard of #metoo? I'm floored, speechless, and downright flabbergasted by your contradictions. You best not show me this picture in real life or I will give you a private "Tur" of my muscular physique, which you will not like.

I cried 10,000 tears because of my transgression. I'm going to a 6 week clinic in Truth or Consequences, NM for therapy, and Mike Pence has advised that Jesus told him that I am forgiven. If you hadn't re-posted the offensive photo of sycasey engaged in interpretive dance with the comely Ms. Tur I would have edited my post and deleted it.
calbear93
Glad you guys finally found your balls. Now you can all shut up about how you're all feminists, how outraged you are about Trump's lewd attitude toward women and how outraged your all are with "victims" of male behaviors. Clearly the only reason you are not more like Trump is because of lack of opportunity. Glad we cleared that up.
bearister
calbear93 said:

Glad you guys finally found your balls. Now you can all shut up about how you're all feminists, how outraged you are about Trump's lewd attitude toward women and how outraged your all are with "victims" of male behaviors. Clearly the only reason you are not more like Trump is because of lack of opportunity. Glad we cleared that up.

I never said tRump's sexual conduct was disqualifying. The fact he is a moron and a traitor is. Finally, Ms. Tur appears to be engaging in consensual conduct.
Another Bear
Clearly the reason anyone isn't more like Trump is because most people have normal sized hands and most people DO NOT LIKE PEE ON THEIR FACE, DOWN THEIR THROAT AND UP THEIR NOSE. But yes, Trump is a connoisseur of quality porn stars, great hair and Russkie Pee Parties!

Long live Cheeto Dotard...and yes, f v c k American democracy while you're at it!
calbear93
Another Bear said:

Clearly the reason anyone isn't more like Trump is because most people have normal sized hands and most people DO NOT LIKE PEE ON THEIR FACE, DOWN THEIR THROAT AND UP THEIR NOSE. But yes, Trump is a connoisseur of quality porn stars, great hair and Russkie Pee Parties!

Long live Cheeto Dotard...and yes, f v c k American democracy while you're at it!
I think you actually want this. You can't handle that someone you don't like was elected pursuant to American democracy established by our founding fathers.
calbear93
bearister said:

calbear93 said:

I never said tRump's sexual conduct was disqualifying. The fact he is a moron and a traitor is. Finally, Ms. Tur appears to be engaging in consensual conduct.
Who said anything about Ms. Tur's dancing partner? Unless her dancing partner is you, that was a non sequitur. So I assume all of the gnashing of teeth on these boards about demeaning things Trump said about women was just sleight of hand and none your guys really cared about that. You only cared that he doesn't live up to your standard of intelligence. I won't even address the traitor comments since both the far right and the far left throw around that accusation for political disagreement (unless you have been hiding a smoking gun from Mueller for some reason).
sycasey
calbear93 said:

bearister said:

calbear93 said:

Who said anything about Ms. Tur's dancing partner? Unless her dancing partner is you, that was a non sequitur. So I assume all of the gnashing of teeth on these boards about demeaning things Trump said about women was just sleight of hand and none your guys really cared about that. You only cared that he doesn't live up to your standard of intelligence. I won't even address the traitor comments since both the far right and the far left throw around that accusation for political disagreement (unless you have been hiding a smoking gun from Mueller for some reason).

The dancing partner has already been identified as me, to my great shame.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus said:

Margaret Brennan

Fun Facts:
  • Not sure who wins in an icy stare-down with Melania.

CBS reads Off Topic.
iwantwinners
Dana is still media right?

bearister
Are implants as protective as Kevlar in a firefight?
iwantwinners
bearister said:

I know that's hard. She's hot and conservative and would never give you the time of day. So you make a desperate dig that doesn't even make sense. Her tits aren't fake, they're not even big lol.

Bra technology is off the charts. A woman of any size with the right bra and outfit can look full and perky. It's a wonderful thing.
Another Bear
Doctor Discovers Unexpected Role of Fake Breasts in Gun Defense
bearister
iwantwinners said:

bearister said:

I know that's hard. She's hot and conservative and would never give you the time of day. So you make a desperate dig that doesn't even make sense. Her tits aren't fake, they're not even big lol.

Bra technology is off the charts. A woman of any size with the right bra and outfit can look full and perky. It's a wonderful thing.

https://plasticsurgeryphoto.co/dana-loesch-plastic-surgery-before-and-after-photos/

okaydo
https://www.thedailybeast.com/cnns-brianna-keilar-embarrasses-nra-supporting-lawmaker-over-delta-discounts
B.A. Bearacus

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.