Breaking News

982,516 Views | 11788 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by movielover
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearForce2
concordtom
Sean Penn on Lawrence O'Donnell tonight, reporting on his meeting Zelensky.
Says that the US is on the border, a "lap dance of populism".
blungld
okaydo said:

You could set an entire kennel barking with all those dog whistles. No substance. Just code for: vote for your tribe, we are victims and need to stick together.

You could also write a dissertation and how packed and layered that coding is and how devoid of facts and logic. It's a sad product of our age.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo

bearister
Scientists find fossil of dinosaur 'killed on day of asteroid strike'

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/apr/07/fossil-dinosaur-killed-asteroid-strike-thescelosaurus-north-dakota-extinction?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags
Unit2Sucks said:

Sebastabear said:

If you have access to Bloomberg, this is a fascinating article about the founder of FTX, who grew up in Berkeley. Didn't know that. I guess I now understand our field naming deal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-04-03/sam-bankman-fried-ftx-s-crypto-billionaire-who-wants-to-give-his-fortune-away
I have a friend (who also is a Cal grad) who I talked to quite a bit about SBF last year. According to my friend SBF is the real deal and one of the smartest guys in crypto (obviously he's got some pedigree on the intellecutal side). The guy I know generated close to a 10 figure fortune in crypto, knows SBF very well professionally and is generally plugged in to a lot of what is going on in the space. I still think there is way too much BS in crypto, but I'm willing to concede that there is a lot I don't know.

When I read the URL I still couldn't help but think that SBF is going to give his fortune away by virtue of a massive crash in crypto that surely is coming. Or not.

The challenge that SBF will face is if he is able to "de-risk" at some point before that "crash" happens.

Not many people are able to be so objective, when they are so intensely focused on rolling out their business plan and executing on it. Confidence grows from being able to deal with challenges in your business. Getting over hurdles and achieving milestones. It is that "condfidence" that can also lead to taking on more and more risk . . . and putting yourself in a really bad position. - - - It's literally human nature.

The arbitrage was the basis for his "seed" capital to start up an Exchange. Arbing something doesnt take much "genius". A Monkey could by low and sell high simultaneously all day long if given the means. What I give him credit for is having the vision that a crypto Exchange would not only be relevant, but experience tremendous growth.

On another note, with more competitors coming into the space, I cant help but think that that 2 basis point commission that FTX charges will get cut in half, if not more.

Not long ago, I remember when institutional trades were .04 cents a share.
Retail brokerages like Schwab have been at 0.00 for years now.

As for his altruistic goals, he's clearly prostituting his ideals by greasing palms with donations and having a seat at the table when it comes to making the rules for crypto exchanges, hoping to avoid restrictive regulation put in place to protect the average investor.

For SBF, I guess he feels that the ends justify the means.
My only question is, will he still be around to make GOOD on his altruistic pledges?

Unit2Sucks
DiabloWags said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Sebastabear said:

If you have access to Bloomberg, this is a fascinating article about the founder of FTX, who grew up in Berkeley. Didn't know that. I guess I now understand our field naming deal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-04-03/sam-bankman-fried-ftx-s-crypto-billionaire-who-wants-to-give-his-fortune-away
I have a friend (who also is a Cal grad) who I talked to quite a bit about SBF last year. According to my friend SBF is the real deal and one of the smartest guys in crypto (obviously he's got some pedigree on the intellecutal side). The guy I know generated close to a 10 figure fortune in crypto, knows SBF very well professionally and is generally plugged in to a lot of what is going on in the space. I still think there is way too much BS in crypto, but I'm willing to concede that there is a lot I don't know.

When I read the URL I still couldn't help but think that SBF is going to give his fortune away by virtue of a massive crash in crypto that surely is coming. Or not.

The challenge that SBF will face is if he is able to "de-risk" at some point before that "crash" happens.

Not many people are able to be so objective, when they are so intensely focused on rolling out their business plan and executing on it. Confidence grows from being able to deal with challenges in your business. Getting over hurdles and achieving milestones. It is that "condfidence" that can also lead to taking on more and more risk . . . and putting yourself in a really bad position. - - - It's literally human nature.

The arbitrage was the basis for his "seed" capital to start up an Exchange. Arbing something doesnt take much "genius". A Monkey could by low and sell high simultaneously all day long if given the means. What I give him credit for is having the vision that a crypto Exchange would not only be relevant, but experience tremendous growth.

On another note, with more competitors coming into the space, I cant help but think that that 2 basis point commission that FTX charges will get cut in half, if not more.

Not long ago, I remember when institutional trades were .04 cents a share.
Retail brokerages like Schwab have been at 0.00 for years now.

As for his altruistic goals, he's clearly prostituting his ideals by greasing palms with donations and having a seat at the table when it comes to making the rules for crypto exchanges, hoping to avoid restrictive regulation put in place to protect the average investor.

For SBF, I guess he feels that the ends justify the means.
My only question is, will he still be around to make GOOD on his altruistic pledges?

All good questions. I guess we'll see if his devotion to Effective Altruism pans out for the world.
Unit2Sucks
This is what happens when you defund the police. If LAPD can only outnumber 4 peaceful climate protesters 25 to 1, how can they possibly do anything about real crime? Obviously they are badly underfunded right now.

bearister
Somebody at the Merc News is a "Suck it Trebek" SNL fan.

BearForce2
okaydo
DiabloWags
Shooting at a Subway Station in Brooklyn,

5 people shot and a total of 13 people injured.

Male suspect fled, possibly wearing a gas mask.

A smoke device may have been detonated.

okaydo
Roy Scheider's new film looks great.

sonofabear51
I really enjoyed this Scheider film.

okaydo
sonofabear51 said:

I really enjoyed this Scheider film.

Yup, but he was actually alive when that was released.

Scheider's new movie will be released in theaters in a few weeks.

Scheider died when Bush was president.
okaydo
okaydo
Interesting story.

When this guy was 19 in 2003, he lent his roommate his car early one morning.

Unbenknownst to him his, roommate and several other people used the car to rob and kill an 18-year-old.

Since he lent the car to his roommate, he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for felony murder....

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local-news/i-team-investigates/felony-murder-rule-life-in-prison-for-a-crime-someone-else-commits-in-florida
Unit2Sucks
Didn't want to start a new thread so I'm dumping this here. Thought it was pretty funny and also possibly telling.

golden sloth
Unit2Sucks said:

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'm dumping this here. Thought it was pretty funny and also possibly telling.

Definitely telling.

Regarding, the healthcare chart, I have the same opinion here as I do for the military, I dont mind spending, but I do mind getting ripped off. In both military spending and the healthcare system we are getting ripped off. Spending has increased drastically but performance has dropped off.

The other two charts are just depressing and shows how the country is moving backwards.
oski003
okaydo said:

Interesting story.

When this guy was 19 in 2003, he lent his roommate his car early one morning.

Unbenknownst to him his, roommate and several other people used the car to rob and kill an 18-year-old.

Since he lent the car to his roommate, he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for felony murder....

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local-news/i-team-investigates/felony-murder-rule-life-in-prison-for-a-crime-someone-else-commits-in-florida

The article starts off misleading, as does your characterization of the facts. None of the facts later indicate the judge/jury believed his story that he didn't know they were going to commit a home invasion. The court seemed to believe he lent his car to commit a felony. A murder resulted and he was convicted of felony murder, per the law.

Two comments in this regard: This is an example where the penal system unfairly sentences someone of GFR's "privileged race.". It is nice to have an example of this posted on this board because a bigoted individual constantly posts stories as if only black people experience these outcomes. Secondly, high mandatory sentences do not make sense. A life sentence for lending the car is simply too much just because the home invasion resulted in death. The governor was correct to lower it to 25 years, which may be too much.
concordtom
23% Of Spending By Pro-Trump Super PAC Reportedly Paid For Single Mar-a-Lago Event

Money raised for Trump ends up in his own pockets again.

bearister
concordtom said:

23% Of Spending By Pro-Trump Super PAC Reportedly Paid For Single Mar-a-Lago Event

Money raised for Trump ends up in his own pockets again.

okaydo
This British based YouTube channel documents his train travel around the world..

This week, it's

Unit2Sucks
Apparently China is trying to hurt the US by making us look BOSS.

Eastern Oregon Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

Apparently China is trying to hurt the US by making us look BOSS.

I like it better than the previous theme: "The Game Of Thrones - You Win Or You Lie About It"
bearister
The best part of the tRump impression on SNL these days is how the impressionist perfectly captures tRump's disjointed stream of consciousness speech pattern…which is exemplified in this tRump Easter reflection:

….there is nothing worse for a moron than to engage in stream of consciousness because it discloses to the world that your brain is devoid of even a single intelligent thought.
okaydo
okaydo

okaydo
DiabloWags
okaydo said:

A guy that has lived in Pleasanton since 2009 claiming that there is a ton of crime there?

Or did this happen at his previous residences in Alameda, Dublin, and Blackhawk?

Lmfao.

okaydo
Eastern Oregon Bear
DiabloWags said:

okaydo said:

A guy that has lived in Pleasanton since 2009 claiming that there is a ton of crime there?

Or did this happen at his previous residences in Alameda, Dublin, and Blackhawk?

Lmfao.

Sheesh. The guy's a freaking cartoonist. He can live and work ANYWHERE HE WANTS. If crime is ruining his life that much, there's nothing stopping him from moving to a less crime infested location.
First Page Last Page
Page 89 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.