Breaking News

982,301 Views | 11785 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by bearister
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trump's weaponized DOJ is looking to potentially bring some federal charges against Hunter Biden. The two being mentioned are for tax evasion and violating firearms legisliation. Let me just say I hope that they bring both of these charges. It would be hilarious watching Republicans twist themselves in knots over unpaid taxes and someone obtaining firearms, neither of which are arguments the GOP has enjoyed making. Seems like the GOP is going to turn Hunter into a rightwing hero. He's already a deity to incels and 4chan deplorables, and now he's going to be seen as a rockstar to mainline GOP, who don't like paying taxes and do enjoy gun proliferation.

Quote:

David Weiss, the US Attorney in Delaware, is leading the probe, which dates back to as early as 2018.
Weiss is one of a handful of appointees of former President Donald Trump who were kept on by the Biden administration because they were overseeing politically sensitive investigations.

Discussions recently have centered around possibly bringing charges that could include alleged tax violations and making a false statement in connection with Biden's purchase of a firearm at a time he would have been prohibited from doing so because of his acknowledged struggles with drug addiction.

As the investigation has entered its final stages, prosecutors have narrowed their focus to tax and gun-related charges, the people say.

Justice officials have debated the strength of the case for months, and have held discussions about whether more work is needed before deciding on possible charges. Those discussions have involved investigators from the FBI and IRS Criminal Investigation agency and prosecutors in Delaware and at Justice Department headquarters, CNN previously reported.

Hunter Biden has publicly discussed his own substance abuse struggles, and some Justice officials questioned whether his open discussions of his past drug use could potentially weaken their case should they bring one.

oski003
Quidditch gets woke and becomes quadball.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/20/us/quidditch-name-change-quadball-cec/index.html
calbear93
oski003 said:

Quidditch gets woke and becomes quadball.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/20/us/quidditch-name-change-quadball-cec/index.html

Well, J K Rowling must be heartbroken. They don't believe in this enough to give up the sport based on her writing but they will show solidarity by changing the name of the sport to show the evil Rowling that there is a heavy price to being evil.
Unit2Sucks
I don't know who this guy is, but he's super dumb and this is a great thread to read if you want to see a super dumb person get repeatedly served. He actually thinks the Ozone problem was a hoax because no one talks about it any more. Imagine the people wbo think this moron is a good source of information.

bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
This is hilarious. Watch out Antifa, there's a new kid in town.

calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

This is hilarious. Watch out Antifa, there's a new kid in town.

These are the kind of guys who think they are tough and get their asses handed to them in minutes by those with actual training. During my decades of MMA training, I have seen so many dumbasses who come in thinking they are good fighters who end up vomiting in the bathroom 10 minutes into actual training and who are so baffled that they are taken down so easily by those who are much smaller.
bearister
Chess robot grabs and breaks finger of seven-year-old opponent

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/24/chess-robot-grabs-and-breaks-finger-of-seven-year-old-opponent-moscow?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

*Shortly thereafter in an adjoining room, an octogenarian chess master was strangled by his opponent after announcing "Checkmate."

sycasey
Let's Go Brandon

BearForce2
sycasey said:

Let's Go Brandon

Putin's price plunge
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
okaydo
Such a sad story.

82gradDLSdad
okaydo said:

Such a sad story.

40 years ago I camped for 50 straight days in places like this across the country on a bicycle trip, mostly alone. I don't know if I'd do that again.
Unit2Sucks
82gradDLSdad said:

okaydo said:

Such a sad story.

40 years ago I camped for 50 straight days in places like this across the country on a bicycle trip, mostly alone. I don't know if I'd do that again.
You are the most interesting man on BI. Unless GB54 returns (no offense).

82gradDLSdad
Unit2Sucks said:

82gradDLSdad said:

okaydo said:

Such a sad story.

You are the most interesting man on BI. Unless GB54 returns (no offense).

Big C

Comparing our times today to 40 years ago... I think less s*** actually happens now, but we hear about it more. (An exception might be mass shootings, but they account for a small percentage of shooting deaths anyway.)
82gradDLSdad
Big C said:

Comparing our times today to 40 years ago... I think less s*** actually happens now, but we hear about it more. (An exception might be mass shootings, but they account for a small percentage of shooting deaths anyway.)

Yah, I don't really know. CNBC runs an ad about a news show they developed for kids. In it, a young kid asks about the Russian/Ukraine war. I always think, don't watch it kid!! I'm a pretty happy guy but it's not because I watch the news.
okaydo
Random trivia: Rachel Robinson, Jackie Robinson's widow, and Norman Lear were born 8 days apart.

okaydo
I wonder if The New York Times had someone check to ensure Norman Lear did in fact survive to make it to his100th birthday before publishing this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/27/opinion/archie-bunker-donald-trump-norman-lear.html?smid=tw-share

BearForce2

She's worse than Psaki. I kind of feel sorry for her....not.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister
Anger as Republicans block bill to help military veterans exposed to toxins

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/28/republicans-bill-healthcare-military-veterans-jon-stewart?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
sycasey
bearister said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jul/28/republicans-bill-healthcare-military-veterans-jon-stewart?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Bill gets 55 out of 100 votes and loses. Nice democracy we have here.
calbear93
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Not sure the two are related unless you think we should move from representative democracy to having citizens vote on all things. For example, a President unilaterally can veto a bill that requires an even greater supermajority of both houses to overturn. Assume you have no issue with Biden having veto power after the midterms.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Not sure the two are related unless you think we should move from representative democracy to having citizens vote on all things. For example, a President unilaterally can veto a bill that requires an even greater supermajority of both houses to overturn. Assume you have no issue with Biden having veto power after the midterms.
I think the filibuster needs to go away. Or at least have a higher bar to implement.

And yes, I am comfortable with this even when Republicans have control of the Senate. Let them take responsibility for what they can pass.
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I think the filibuster needs to go away. Or at least have a higher bar to implement.

And yes, I am comfortable with this even when Republicans have control of the Senate. Let them take responsibility for what they can pass.

Are you comfortable with a single man having veto powers within the context of your view of democracy if you have issues with a filibuster in the senate?
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Are you comfortable with a single man having veto powers within the context of your view of democracy if you have issues with a filibuster in the senate?
Sure. But maybe the President should be popularly elected, not through the Electoral College. (The Senate already has enough of an electoral-college effect.)
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Sure. But maybe the President should be popularly elected, not through the Electoral College. (The Senate already has enough of an electoral-college effect.)

Seems a bit inconsistent that you are OK with a President having unilateral veto power as long as he/she is elected by a popular vote while you have an issue with a democracy having a supermajority requirement to break a filibuster in house of senators who are elected by popular vote in their respective state. I think you have an issue with Democrats not being able to pass bills with a 50-50 split but I suspect you did not have an issue with the democrats using the same procedure number of time when the Republican had the senate before the 2020 election. Not an issue with our democracy but an issue with inability to win more seats in the senate. I am expecting there to be no debate on the value of filibuster here when the democrats are in the minority in the senate in the near future.
AunBear89
Are you always a smug contrarian, or do you just play one on BI?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Seems a bit inconsistent that you are OK with a President having unilateral veto power as long as he/she is elected by a popular vote while you have an issue with a democracy having a supermajority requirement to break a filibuster in house of senators who are elected by popular vote in their respective state. I think you have an issue with Democrats not being able to pass bills with a 50-50 split but I suspect you did not have an issue with the democrats using the same procedure number of time when the Republican had the senate before the 2020 election. Not an issue with our democracy but an issue with inability to win more seats in the senate. I am expecting there to be no debate on the value of filibuster here when the democrats are in the minority in the senate in the near future.
No, I think the filibuster gums up the works too much and does not allow popular legislation to pass. If the popular legislation happens to be Republican-supported, then so be it, we need to win more votes next time. If it's good enough to get 55 votes then I don't see why it shouldn't pass.

The President having veto power is by design of the different branches of government having checks on each other's power. The Senate's filibuster rule is an unnecessary check on itself.
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

No, I think the filibuster gums up the works too much and does not allow popular legislation to pass. If the popular legislation happens to be Republican-supported, then so be it, we need to win more votes next time. If it's good enough to get 55 votes then I don't see why it shouldn't pass.

The President having veto power is by design of the different branches of government having checks on each other's power. The Senate's filibuster rule is an unnecessary check on itself.

It was intended as a self-imposed check on populist sentiments that could impose onerous rules on the minority. That protection may lead to some bad results as we have seen when either side has had the majority but concepts like innocent until proven guilty for criminal trials may lead to some guilty getting off free, we sometimes deal with the bad to protect the good. The house of representative is a purely populist arm of the congress. Just like a veto was a constitutional check, filibuster was a procedural check imposed as a check on the majority in what was considered the more informed and less populist side of congress. I don't feel strongly either way, but it is not a democracy issue in a country where we are OK with one man having veto power. It is whether the good is now outweighed by the bad.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

It was intended as a self-imposed check on populist sentiments that could impose onerous rules on the minority. That protection may lead to some bad results as we have seen when either side has had the majority but concepts like innocent until proven guilty for criminal trials may lead to some guilty getting off free, we sometimes deal with the bad to protect the good. The house of representative is a purely populist arm of the congress. Just like a veto was a constitutional check, filibuster was a procedural check imposed as a check on the majority in what was considered the more informed and less populist side of congress. I don't feel strongly either way, but it is not a democracy issue in a country where we are OK with one man having veto power. It is whether the good is now outweighed by the bad.
I mean, the Senate itself is already a democracy issue, given the extreme population differences we now have between states. No need to add more procedural hurdles within it.
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I mean, the Senate itself is already a democracy issue, given the extreme population differences we now have between states. No need to add more procedural hurdles within it.

If the senate wasn't meant to allow each state to have equal say in at least one house of congress, why even have a senate? The house of representative is what you are seeking and all you need if you want a populist democracy. The house has a lot more crazies as you would expect in a populist body but a senate wouldn't be needed if you disagree with their reason for being.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

If the senate wasn't meant to allow each state to have equal say in at least one house of congress, why even have a senate? The house of representative is what you are seeking and all you need if you want a populist democracy. The house has a lot more crazies as you would expect in a populist body but a senate wouldn't be needed if you disagree with their reason for being.
The Founders imagined having a Senate; I accept that. They weren't interested in fully populist democracy. They didn't imagine needing supermajorities for passing simple legislation through it.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

The Founders imagined having a Senate; I accept that. They weren't interested in fully populist democracy. They didn't imagine needing supermajorities for passing simple legislation through it.
Yeah, I don't recall the constitution mentioning a senate parliamentarian or filibuster.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Yeah, I don't recall the constitution mentioning a senate parliamentarian or filibuster.

Can you explain the point of this post?

I wrote very clearly that filibuster is a self-imposed check by the senate. Who even suggested this was a constitutional check?

You and I have debated the constitution before. I suspect you know I don't believe 50 senators can amend the constitution. In fact, because filibuster is just a procedural rule, it isn't even granted a debate opportunity that would trigger a filibuster.

So, again, what is this post intended to counter? We were just having a debate on the merits of the filibuster and whether the bad now outweighs the good. We certainly were not debating the source of filibuster.
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

They certainty did not. That is why only 50 senators can eliminate it as they have for certain debates in the past. So, I take it that you are now good with the purpose and existence of the senate?
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.