Breaking News

981,255 Views | 11776 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by movielover
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Xi opens historic China Party Congress that's expected to cement his rule

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/16/xi-jinping-china-communist-party-congress-third-term

What China looks like after a decade of Xi Jinping's rule

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/15/china-party-congress-2022-xi-jinping-third-term
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
okaydo said:

concordtom said:

okaydo said:

Why water retention???

He does NFL RedZone without going to the bathroom. So 7+ hours.n

1. Diapers
2. Catheter
3. That's a publicity stunt. I'm cynical.
bearister
We're Jewish Berkeley Law Students, Excluded in Many Areas on Campus

https://www.thedailybeast.com/were-jewish-berkeley-law-students-excluded-in-many-areas-on-campus?source=articles&via=rss
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/were-jewish-berkeley-law-students-excluded-in-many-areas-on-campus?source=articles&via=rss
I don't want to weigh in on the BDS stuff but there is something I like to say. When I was in law school, I thought the proliferation of student organizations was ridiculous. You have a bunch of type A resume stuffers running around creating all of these low-value organizations that they think future employers would care about. I suspected it was all a waste of time for the law students and that the only beneficiaries for the fringe journals was providing an opportunity for law professors to publish their "research" that no one cared about.

After spending much of my career at big law firms, I can't say anything I believed during law school really changed. I frequently served on recruiting committees and there isn't a single time when I heard a fellow lawyer point to any of these things as interesting or important, with the exception of the main law review journal (and even then only litigators cared).

In a related point, law professors really aren't qualified in the same way most undergrad professors/researchers are. Law profs quite commonly graduated top of their class from a top law school and then worked for a few years at a law firm before becoming a professor. Contrast that with undergrad and grad professors with PhDs, postdocs and real research to qualify them for their positions. Because law profs have to pretend their research matters, they need to get things published in "official" journals of which there are an untold number, staffed by kids who believe that their work will help them get a job but really just serves them up as cannon fodder for cosplaying lawyer profs.

Anyway, reading the list of "student organizations" in the article brought all of this back to me. There are over 100 of these organizations in a school of around 1k students. Ridiculous.
golden sloth
Unit2Sucks said:

bearister said:

I don't want to weigh in on the BDS stuff but there is something I like to say. When I was in law school, I thought the proliferation of student organizations was ridiculous. You have a bunch of type A resume stuffers running around creating all of these low-value organizations that they think future employers would care about. I suspected it was all a waste of time for the law students and that the only beneficiaries for the fringe journals was providing an opportunity for law professors to publish their "research" that no one cared about.

After spending much of my career at big law firms, I can't say anything I believed during law school really changed. I frequently served on recruiting committees and there isn't a single time when I heard a fellow lawyer point to any of these things as interesting or important, with the exception of the main law review journal (and even then only litigators cared).

In a related point, law professors really aren't qualified in the same way most undergrad professors/researchers are. Law profs quite commonly graduated top of their class from a top law school and then worked for a few years at a law firm before becoming a professor. Contrast that with undergrad and grad professors with PhDs, postdocs and real research to qualify them for their positions. Because law profs have to pretend their research matters, they need to get things published in "official" journals of which there are an untold number, staffed by kids who believe that their work will help them get a job but really just serves them up as cannon fodder for cosplaying lawyer profs.

Anyway, reading the list of "student organizations" in the article brought all of this back to me. There are over 100 of these organizations in a school of around 1k students. Ridiculous.
I can't speak to the Legal profession as I'm not a lawyer, but I can attest something similar in my industry. College extra-curriculars are a giant lie. If I'm looking for a new employee out of college, I want someone with communication skills, smart/willing to learn, gets their work done and I get along with. The extracurriculars and GPA don't matter to me at all.
okaydo
okaydo

okaydo
Damn. Liberal media.

okaydo

Big C
okaydo said:

Damn. Liberal media.

I believe Vice President Harris will be 58 tomorrow, not 48. Or am I missing something about your post?
okaydo
okaydo
bearister
Big C said:

okaydo said:

Damn. Liberal media.

https://twitter.com/AP_Planner

I believe Vice President Harris will be 58 tomorrow, not 48. Or am I missing something about your post?

Did you say Larry Dogg?

bearister
Comedians Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle plan to co-headline a show at the Chase Center on Dec. 11. Pre-sale begins at 10am today with the access code "PUMPKIN
Axios SF
okaydo
Big C said:

okaydo said:

Damn. Liberal media.

Geez. 24 hours later, and the tweet is still up. The Associated Press really does suck these days. Or perhaps it's a conspiracy to de-age the VP.
bearister

Big C
okaydo said:

Big C said:

okaydo said:

Damn. Liberal media.

Geez. 24 hours later, and the tweet is still up. The Associated Press really does suck these days. Or perhaps it's a conspiracy to de-age the VP.

Maybe it's because 48 is totally believable when she's standing next to the President.
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo
https://morris.umn.edu/about/institutional-effectiveness-and-research/data-resources

okaydo
DiabloWags
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

okaydo said:

Most politicians screw the public. This one at least submitted an audition tape.

WHO'S YOUR DADDY NICOLE SAGE?

A fat, disgusting, big-nosed, bald guy that doesnt bother wearing a condom.
Skank meets skank.

Don't think this video will "win" him any votes.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
An Orange Buffoon subpoenaed by the Jan. 6th Committee to Testify.

okaydo
Eastern Oregon Bear
okaydo said:

Well that didn't age well. That may be the most DOA book ever.
okaydo
okaydo said:

Damn. Liberal media.

It's concerning that this took 2 days to correct.

DiabloWags

okaydo said:

She lasted six weeks.
lol
okaydo
DiabloWags said:

okaydo said:

She lasted six weeks.
lol

Luckily for the publisher, the book hasn't been released. It was supposed to hit bookshelves on December 8.

They'll have time to rewrite it use a new title.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-20/liz-truss-quitting-sends-biographers-to-rewrite-book-on-prime-minister
bearister
okaydo said:

"Out of the blue and into the black
You pay for this, but they give you that
And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."

-Neil Young
DiabloWags
okaydo said:

DiabloWags said:

okaydo said:

She lasted six weeks.
lol

Luckily for the publisher, the book hasn't been released. It was supposed to hit bookshelves on December 8.

They'll have time to rewrite it use a new title.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-20/liz-truss-quitting-sends-biographers-to-rewrite-book-on-prime-minister

They can retitle it:

"She didnt last as long as a head of lettuce"

sonofabear51
That was also one of my favorite Neil albums. I don't know if you saw the solo tour of Computer Age, but I thought it was one of the most amazing performances I had ever seen. Cow Palace.
CSNY. What an incredible assembly of musicians and writers. Stills & Young especially IMHO
Start Slowly and taper off
bearister
sonofabear51 said:

That was also one of my favorite Neil albums. I don't know if you saw the solo tour of Computer Age, but I thought it was one of the most amazing performances I had ever seen. Cow Palace.
CSNY. What an incredible assembly of musicians and writers. Stills & Young especially IMHO

It didn't get any more fun than being young, drunk and stoned at Winterland in the early 1970's and hearing Neil playing Cinnamon Girl on his Gibson Flying V as loud as he could. I saw him there many times.

My buddy took this picture of him at the Day on the Green in Oakland in July, 1974 that I attended.

*I remember being very disappointed he cut his hair so short. It seemed like a crew cut at the time.
okaydo
A timeline:

March 27: Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars. Many called it the ugliest moment in Oscar history. But within the next week, there were tweets and articles about how, actually, the ugliest moment in Oscar history was in 1973 when Native American activist Sacheen Littlefeather accepted the Oscar on Marlon Brando's behalf and was booed and John Wayne had to be restrained by six security guards.

August 15: The Academy announced it has apologized to Sacheen Littlefeather (actually apologized to her in June) for the 1973 incident and also announced they would have an evening with her.

August 23: The Los Angeles Times runs an article essentially debunking the John Wayne incident.

September 17: The Academy hosts "An Evening with Sacheen Littlefeather" where she repeats the John Wayne thing (to be fair to her, it seems like she always couches it in saying she was told about it).

October 2: Sacheen Littlefeather dies at age 75.

October 22: The San Francisco Chronicle publishes this story:

(Also, I learned from the article that Sacheen posed for Playboy, if any of you want to look that up.)

concordtom
okaydo said:

People sometimes want to explore concepts and meet and greet without having it picked apart and broadcast. Understandable.
First Page Last Page
Page 109 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.