Breaking News

980,992 Views | 11776 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by movielover
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearHunter said:

dimitrig said:

Those migrants contribute more to this country than most of the red state hillbillies receiving public assistance.

They just arrived or should I say, sneaked in illegally, and your taxes are already going to shelter and feed them.

While I really hesitate to get all racial/ethnic, I will share this.

This year, when I leave my house, I try and chat a little bit with the two Mexican guys who are busting their butts Mon-Sat, putting an ADU in the house next door. Major language barrier, but we're friendly.

Then I go to Safeway and have to walk by the two white guys begging me for money.
BearHunter
Why not just have an open door policy then?
Eastern Oregon Bear
Big C said:

BearHunter said:

dimitrig said:

Those migrants contribute more to this country than most of the red state hillbillies receiving public assistance.

They just arrived or should I say, sneaked in illegally, and your taxes are already going to shelter and feed them.

This year, when I leave my house, I try and chat a little bit with the two Mexican guys who are busting their butts Mon- Sat, putting an ADU in the house next door.

Then I go to Safeway and have to walk by the two white guys begging me for money.
Thanks. You said what I was thinking better than I could have done it.
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearHunter said:

Why not just have a simplistic mindset for complex problems?
oski003
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

BearHunter said:

Are you recruiting folks for your team?
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

BearHunter said:

When the contrarian is humping my leg after everything I post, I know I'm on the right path.
oski003

oski003 said:

BearHunter said:

When the contrarian is humping my leg after everything I post, I know I'm on the right path.

You post emotional, brainless nonsense.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

oski003 said:

BearHunter said:

Geez, dude, you're making my pants disgusting!
BearHunter
oski003 said:

oski003 said:

BearHunter said:

Eastern Oregon posting weak like AunBear.
MinotStateBeav
Big C said:

BearHunter said:

dimitrig said:

This year, when I leave my house, I try and chat a little bit with the two Mexican guys who are busting their butts Mon-Sat, putting an ADU in the house next door. Major language barrier, but we're friendly.

Could be 2 white guys were vets who this country threw in the trash. You got their story, well done.
movielover
dimitrig
movielover said:

And by "we" she means the Republicans

bearister
OPEN LETTER from a San Francisco legacy business. This letter, a full-page newspaper ad published today. It summarizes what majority of residents lament.

https://x.com/greenbergnation/status/1690784075320287232?s=42

Video shows before and after of San Francisco brand exodus

https://mol.im/a/12402379
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
NY Post: Barack Obama told ex, 'I make love to men daily, but in the imagination,' letter shows

By Jon Levine
August 12, 2023

https://nypost.com/2023/08/12/barack-obama-told-ex-i-make-love-to-men-daily-but-in-the-imagination/
dimitrig
bearister said:

OPEN LETTER from a San Francisco legacy business. This letter, a full-page newspaper ad published today. It summarizes what majority of residents lament.

He's a Republican from Nevada. He's not the voice of San Francisco.

bearister
movielover said:

NY Post: Barack Obama told ex, 'I make love to men daily, but in the imagination,' letter shows

By Jon Levine
August 12, 2023

https://nypost.com/2023/08/12/barack-obama-told-ex-i-make-love-to-men-daily-but-in-the-imagination/

Do you think tRump's legal Dream Team will be able to introduce this into evidence as a key piece of the defense strategy in the multiple felony trials?
bearister
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
BearHunter
movielover said:

By Jon Levine
August 12, 2023

Obama's bro is MAGA 2024.
Big C

BREAKING NEWS: Two idiots continue to post dumb-ass s*** on the "Breaking News" thread.
sonofabear51
Only 2? I think there may be others.
Start Slowly and taper off
BearHunter
BREAKING NEWS: Bro, did you see his hat? Obama's bro is based.
82gradDLSdad
dimitrig said:

bearister said:

I hear these types of explanations from my Democrat friends: my extremely thoughtful, successful Nordstrom CMO BIL on why they left Westfield Mall, my long time work mate, my new 'friend' Unit2sucks...I don't get it. Like with my religious friends who try to explain the logic behind their belief in a super universal force my Democrat friends try to explain what I'm missing when I describe what I'm seeing first hand when my wife and I walk the streets of my hometown. They are all smarter than me yet they aren't very convincing. And in almost every other topic they can explain to me my confusion. Not with SF, they can't, not with SF. I don't get it.
Unit2Sucks
Lol we talking about Gumps.

This turned into a rather long response. I guess the tl;dr is that us old-timers are prone to rose-colored glasses. Cal was a disaster in sports for most of its history yet all of us hang out on this website acting like we have a right to be back in the Rose Bowl of yore any year now. It's a familiar refrain about the past of SF.

My mom used to love that store and it was an SF institution but it wasn't a viable enterprise. People used to browse but it was hella expensive and had expensive real estate in an area where normal people wouldn't really shop for that sort of merchandise. It went bankrupt multiple times. I didn't realize it was still in business so I had to look it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gump%27s#

Quote:

In 1993 Gump's was in financial trouble when the catalog company later known as Hanover Direct bought it. They reduced the product lines, holding a liquidation sale on May 24, 1993, and revived the business,[4] then in 2005 sold it to an investment group for $8.5 million.[7][8]

The company began catalog sales in the 1950s and as of May 2018, more than 75% of its sales were through the catalog or online.[9]

Gump's filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on August 3, 2018.[9] On August 10, final liquidation sales began on the retailer's official website and at its remaining storefront in San Francisco;[10] the store closed on December 23, 2018.[8] In 2019 the newest Gumps owner the Chachas family reopened Gumps in its former long time location 250 Post Street Union Square. However the Chachas closed Gumps for an indeterminate period in 2020 due to the City of San Francisco's regulations on Covid.[11] Gump's is now open Monday thru Saturday in 2022.

The new owner doesn't really have much standing to complain.

My main disagreement with 82 isn't that SF doesn't have real problems, it's just that it's not a story of strict decline. SF has had problems forever. If you read Kerouac's On The Road, he talks a about the tenderloin and damned if it didn't sound just as bad 70 years ago. Whenever you talk to someone who lived in SF a long time ago they talk about how it used to be better. But if you go drill down it's often that people have on rose-colored glasses from their youth.

I vividly remember a crazy homeless lady cussing out my 3 year old sister on Polk Street when we were kids on our way to a Mongolian BBQ place in Nob Hill. I always thought the neighborhood was filthy and crime-ridden until I was a young adult and lived close to there. Even "Polk Gulch" has improved over the last few decades.

SF downtown is nowhere near as crowded or vibrant as it used to be, and it's been a disaster for local businesses, particularly lunch crowd places. But I don't think whoever bought Gumps out of their second bankruptcy is in a position to complain - they are more opportunistic carpetbagger than long-time stakeholders in SF's business community.

There are some other businesses that I mourn the loss of - Specialties (though it went away pre pandemic) and Lee's Deli (an institution that only downtown office workers will have known). Enrico's was an institution. Sadly too few long-time businesses can survive forever based on legacy.

But I think it's 99% because of remote work, not because of anything SF did. I still go downtown somewhat frequently and think there is actually fewer homeless people than when I used to work there. There aren't really enough office workers to pandhandle from, so it sort of makes sense.

I remember one of the local newspapers did a story about a very successful "panhandler" who made enough money to afford a Porsche for his commute from SJ a few decades ago. Homeless is an age-old problem in SF.

Here's another story from 10 years ago: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/the-city-s-panhandlers-tell-their-own-stories-4929388.php

Half of the panhandlers they surveyed had household incomes over $50k per year. Certainly wasn't a great way to make a living and vast majority were homeless but I don't see how anyone, least of all the family that bought Gumps just 3 years ago out of bankruptcy, can pretend to be blindsided by the a big problem that has been facing SF since before Gumps first bankruptcy 30 years ago.

Westfield's loss is a big one but it's a French owned company that is more or less exiting the US entirely. One of the companies I worked for talked to them about doing some business about 5 or 6 years ago and it was well known that he US shopping mall business was on the decline. Westfield SF mall had been a standout and they took the position at the time that Class A malls were going to survive but that most class B/C/etc would die.

Online shopping is a killer for retail. I am part of the problem - I purchase virtually everything online. As a parent with young children, it's very hard for me to make time to shop in person and I've probably been to Westfield SF only 2 or 3 times with my elementary school aged kids in the last 5 years.

It's not shocking to me that we are seeing a decline.
Cal88
It's much bigger than a problem at Gump's, and you know it.

82gradDLSdad
Unit2Sucks said:

Lol we talking about Gumps.

This turned into a rather long response. I guess the tl;dr is that us old-timers are prone to rose-colored glasses. Cal was a disaster in sports for most of its history yet all of us hang out on this website acting like we have a right to be back in the Rose Bowl of yore any year now. It's a familiar refrain about the past of SF.

My mom used to love that store and it was an SF institution but it wasn't a viable enterprise. People used to browse but it was hella expensive and had expensive real estate in an area where normal people wouldn't really shop for that sort of merchandise. It went bankrupt multiple times. I didn't realize it was still in business so I had to look it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gump%27s#

Quote:

In 1993 Gump's was in financial trouble when the catalog company later known as Hanover Direct bought it. They reduced the product lines, holding a liquidation sale on May 24, 1993, and revived the business,[4] then in 2005 sold it to an investment group for $8.5 million.[7][8]

The company began catalog sales in the 1950s and as of May 2018, more than 75% of its sales were through the catalog or online.[9]

Gump's filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on August 3, 2018.[9] On August 10, final liquidation sales began on the retailer's official website and at its remaining storefront in San Francisco;[10] the store closed on December 23, 2018.[8] In 2019 the newest Gumps owner the Chachas family reopened Gumps in its former long time location 250 Post Street Union Square. However the Chachas closed Gumps for an indeterminate period in 2020 due to the City of San Francisco's regulations on Covid.[11] Gump's is now open Monday thru Saturday in 2022.

The new owner doesn't really have much standing to complain.

My main disagreement with 82 isn't that SF doesn't have real problems, it's just that it's not a story of strict decline. SF has had problems forever. If you read Kerouac's On The Road, he talks a about the tenderloin and damned if it didn't sound just as bad 70 years ago. Whenever you talk to someone who lived in SF a long time ago they talk about how it used to be better. But if you go drill down it's often that people have on rose-colored glasses from their youth.

I vividly remember a crazy homeless lady cussing out my 3 year old sister on Polk Street when we were kids on our way to a Mongolian BBQ place in Nob Hill. I always thought the neighborhood was filthy and crime-ridden until I was a young adult and lived close to there. Even "Polk Gulch" has improved over the last few decades.

SF downtown is nowhere near as crowded or vibrant as it used to be, and it's been a disaster for local businesses, particularly lunch crowd places. But I don't think whoever bought Gumps out of their second bankruptcy is in a position to complain - they are more opportunistic carpetbagger than long-time stakeholders in SF's business community.

There are some other businesses that I mourn the loss of - Specialties (though it went away pre pandemic) and Lee's Deli (an institution that only downtown office workers will have known). Enrico's was an institution. Sadly too few long-time businesses can survive forever based on legacy.

But I think it's 99% because of remote work, not because of anything SF did. I still go downtown somewhat frequently and think there is actually fewer homeless people than when I used to work there. There aren't really enough office workers to pandhandle from, so it sort of makes sense.

I remember one of the local newspapers did a story about a very successful "panhandler" who made enough money to afford a Porsche for his commute from SJ a few decades ago. Homeless is an age-old problem in SF.

Here's another story from 10 years ago: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/the-city-s-panhandlers-tell-their-own-stories-4929388.php

Half of the panhandlers they surveyed had household incomes over $50k per year. Certainly wasn't a great way to make a living and vast majority were homeless but I don't see how anyone, least of all the family that bought Gumps just 3 years ago out of bankruptcy, can pretend to be blindsided by the a big problem that has been facing SF since before Gumps first bankruptcy 30 years ago.

Westfield's loss is a big one but it's a French owned company that is more or less exiting the US entirely. One of the companies I worked for talked to them about doing some business about 5 or 6 years ago and it was well known that he US shopping mall business was on the decline. Westfield SF mall had been a standout and they took the position at the time that Class A malls were going to survive but that most class B/C/etc would die.

Online shopping is a killer for retail. I am part of the problem - I purchase virtually everything online. As a parent with young children, it's very hard for me to make time to shop in person and I've probably been to Westfield SF only 2 or 3 times with my elementary school aged kids in the last 5 years.

It's not shocking to me that we are seeing a decline.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. You and calbear93 are smart, skilled writers. I will take the time to read your response multiple times. It probably won't convince me but I know it will make me reconsider my views. That's all I can ask.
BearHunter
Will Joe Biden visit Maui before he makes another visit to Ukraine?
movielover
Short sighted. The scale of the current massive problems didn't exist in the 70s or 80s.

You ignore the skyrocketing Fentanyl deaths. The City saves 25 lives per month with Narcam shots just in the one square block around SF Public Library downtown.

Your ignore the gangs and widespread graffiti in places like the Mission.

Liberal Lockdowns were the Tipping Point that allowed many to flee The City. The vibrancy downtown is gone.

Tourists complained for decades about homelessness, but it only got worse and now exploded. Illegal immigrants living together push out vulnerable citizens, some reportedly living 15 to a one-bedroom apartment.

The open drug use (aka homelessness), mental illness, BLM / Antifa rage, rampant retail theft to and violence, shuttered pharmacies, etc.

The homeless haven't declined - the Mayor and Urban Alchemy (who I like) pushed them South of Market and elsewhere. Market Street after 7 PM turns into a large-scale drug bazaar (UA exits at 7 PM, the no-bid security force that isn't a security force).

Vacancies have skyrocketed.

Now the SFPD is understaffed with meager recruiting classes. Standards will drop; judges won't try drug dealers.

bearister
New data: Global wealth rises, inequality falls

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/16/wealth-inequality-declines-worldwide-global-income

" While U.S. boomers and Gen Xers saw their wealth decline in 2022, for instance, millennials got richer."

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the millennials."
-William Shakespeare's Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2.
movielover
Gremlins censoring again.

As planned ...

movielover
Fox News: UC Berkeley student carjacked at gunpoint as crime surge plagues college town

"Property and violent crime in the city, where out-of-state students pay about $44,000 a year in tuition to attend UC Berkeley, were at a 10-year-high in 2022, according to Police Chief Jen Louis."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/uc-berkeley-student-carjacked-gunpoint-crime-surge-plagues-college-town
wraptor347
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/17/politics/erica-marsh-fake-twitter-account-real-pictures-florida-trump-voter/index.html

wraptor347 said:

Of course you would fall for a bot account.

That's not a real person. It's an account designed to farm engagement. The whole point is to get conservatives angry and replying to it (doing well in that regard).

oski003
MLS Parents Complain Leo Messi Too Advanced For Sons' League

https://www.theonion.com/mls-parents-complain-leo-messi-too-advanced-for-sons-l-1850749255
bearister
movielover
Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

The bond for one is probably more than they earn in a year. The bond for the other is about how much they make in a few hours.
First Page Last Page
Page 219 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.