Breaking News

980,604 Views | 11776 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by movielover
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearHunter said:

Big C said:

It almost seems like the Deep State does not treat ex-Presidents equally:

Correct, the Deep State is only going after one ex-President.

I know, right? It's like they have it in for Trump, for some reason! Maybe his call to "drain the swamp" hit a little too close to home! I know a lot of those Deep State people went to college and, more and more, college grads are too educated elitist to vote for a clown guy like Trump.

But what can we do about it? Maybe form a militia or something?
bearister
The late Kennedy brothers would have taken the Keystone Cop version of the Deep State of the tRump Era in a heartbeat.

Will tRump be denied a State funeral when transfat explodes his heart like throwing a bag of sh@it into a fan?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
Maybe VJ needed another sub?
Unit2Sucks
Turns out Bronny has a congenital heart defect. They say it's fixable and he will be back to playing basketball soon. I'm sure the anti-vaxxers will claim that it's a coverup by big pharma.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/26/sport/bronny-james-heart-defect/index.html

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Bronny James cardiac arrest. Stable

https://abc7news.com/sports/lebron-james-son-bronny-suffers-cardiac-arrest-during-workout/13545800/

When was his last vaccine shot?!
I know you joke, but black male basketball players never experienced cardiac arrest before COVID and the vax. People talk a lot about how COVID causes more myocarditis than the vaccines but this has been exhaustively studied and it's entirely responsible for anti-vaxxers to spread their filth, er science, any time anyone dies for any reason.

Here's a study discussing cardiac arrest deaths in the age of the COVID vax:
Quote:

It also has been increasingly recognized that some populations of athletes may be at substantially higher risk than others for SCD. Among National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) athletes, increased risk has been found with male gender, black race, and basketball participation (Table 1).14 The risk among male Division 1 basketball players has been estimated at more than 10 times that in the overall athlete population (1 in 5,200 vs. 1 in 53,703 athletes per year), which is consistent with prior findings in collegiate and high-school athletes.[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4969030/#i1947-6094-12-2-76-b14][/url]
I should note that this is an impeccable study and that although it predates COVID by several years (it's from 2016), trust me that the vaccine is always to blame.

MinotStateBeav
Nobody would lie to us either lol.
BearHunter
Big C said:

BearHunter said:

Big C said:

It almost seems like the Deep State does not treat ex-Presidents equally:
Correct, the Deep State is only going after one ex-President.
I know, right? It's like they have it in for Trump, for some reason! Maybe his call to "drain the swamp" hit a little too close to home! I know a lot of those Deep State people went to college and, more and more, college grads are too educated elitist to vote for a clown guy like Trump.

But what can we do about it? Maybe form a militia or something?

Maybe we can form a militia if the Democrats and the Deep State succeed in preventing Trump from running.
concordtom
Maybe we can get you banned from BearInsider for endless spreading of nonsense.
BearHunter
Remember, your government cares about you a lot. But they care about Zelensky even more.
concordtom
BearHunter said:

Remember, your government cares about you a lot. But they care about Zelensky even more.

I suggest you take a trip to London where you can visit the Imperial War Museum.

They have a message for you!
BearHunter
concordtom said:

BearHunter said:

I suggest you take a trip to London where you can visit the Imperial War Museum.

I've always wanted to visit London. Tell me about the Imperial War Museum.
concordtom
Sorry.
I can't see you.
You're set to IGNORE.
BearHunter
Don't ignore your cousin from Texas. He seems like a cool dude.
Cal88
concordtom said:

BearHunter said:

"War is peace, freedom is slavery, and ignorance is strength"?
concordtom
Cal88 said:

concordtom said:

BearHunter said:

You're seriously not that stupid, are you?
Cal88
concordtom said:

Cal88 said:

concordtom said:

BearHunter said:

You're seriously not that stupid, are you?

It's just an understated way of letting you know that you will learn far more about British war history by reading Orwell than by watching exhibits at the Imperial War Museum, a pretty mundane experience which seems to have made a strong impression on you.

Was this map on display at the museum?
Cal88
The New York Times revealed a group of Silicon Valley billionaires are behind the $800 million in land purchases, or about the size of two San Franciscos, around Travis Air Force Base in Solano County, California.

We previously covered the mysterious Flannery Associates, which has quietly amassed a staggering 55,000-acre farmland portfolio encircling three sides of the military base. The landowners weren't previously known until now:
Quote:

Billionaire venture capitalist Michael Moritz, Reid Hoffman, the LinkedIn co-founder, venture capitalist and Democratic donor; Marc Andreessen and Chris Dixon, investors at the Andreessen Horowitz venture capital firm; Patrick and John Collison, the sibling co-founders of the payments company Stripe; Laurene Powell Jobs, founder of the Emerson Collective; and Nat Friedman and Daniel Gross, entrepreneurs turned investors. --NYT

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/game-thrones-kind-thing-tech-billionaires-buy-55000-acres-outside-san-francisco-start-new
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

The New York Times revealed a group of Silicon Valley billionaires are behind the $800 million in land purchases, or about the size of two San Franciscos, around Travis Air Force Base in Solano County, California.

We previously covered the mysterious Flannery Associates, which has quietly amassed a staggering 55,000-acre farmland portfolio encircling three sides of the military base. The landowners weren't previously known until now:
Quote:

Billionaire venture capitalist Michael Moritz, Reid Hoffman, the LinkedIn co-founder, venture capitalist and Democratic donor; Marc Andreessen and Chris Dixon, investors at the Andreessen Horowitz venture capital firm; Patrick and John Collison, the sibling co-founders of the payments company Stripe; Laurene Powell Jobs, founder of the Emerson Collective; and Nat Friedman and Daniel Gross, entrepreneurs turned investors. --NYT

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/game-thrones-kind-thing-tech-billionaires-buy-55000-acres-outside-san-francisco-start-new

They are hoping to build the 21st century equivalent of a company town.

Good luck with that in this era of telecommuting!

Cal88
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

55,000 acres is enough space for tens of thousands of housing units. Their employees can live there...
Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

55,000 acres is enough space for tens of thousands of housing units. Their employees can live there...
Oh boy! Let's convert more prime farmland into housing developments!

It does make sense for the billionaires given how the Bay Area and Sacramento are growing towards each other.
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Yes, but why would they?

Cal88
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Yes, but why would they?

Because the median house price in SF is $1.3M, and you could get a very nice large home built for half as much in a corporate campus setting, a very attractive proposition especially for workers hired from outside the area. I would guess that is the vision that these billionaire wannabe land developers had for their megaplan.
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Yes, but why would they?

Because the median house price in SF is $1.3M, and you could get a very nice large home built for half as much in a corporate campus setting, a very attractive proposition especially for workers hired from outside the area. I would guess that is the vision that these billionaire wannabe land developers had for their megaplan.

I realize that is what they are hoping, but most tech workers can live anywhere they wish.

Why would they want to live there? It doesn't seem compelling to me at all. I think they are solving last decade's problem.

The cynical side of me thinks that they are hoping to bring employees in from places like India who would be more than happy to live anywhere in the US.

concordtom
Cal88 said:

Quote:

I've been driving back and forth from Placer County to the east bay for over 10 years.
I moved because of housing costs, and yeah, I got a big house on 5 acres for a great price!

But it's hot a F up here. I don't favor Fairfield/Vacaville area. It's flat there, and people I know who've lived there say it can be fairly windy and that can get annoying. But that wind keeps the evening temperatures down. So, there are worse places. You can commute from there. Capitol Corridor train, and they have access to the bay to the south, provided a port situation gets built.

I could see something like Orange County north - all wide roadways, pre-planned community.

They'll make a killing.
Haven't people heard that there's a housing shortage in California?

Still, it's going to heavily impact I-80.
NorCal megapolis on it's way.

This will get streamlined by the politicians at some point.
calbear93
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Yes, but why would they?

I realize that is what they are hoping, but most tech workers can live anywhere they wish.

Why would they want to live there? It doesn't seem compelling to me at all. I think they are solving last decade's problem.

The cynical side of me thinks that they are hoping to bring employees in from places like India who would be more than happy to live anywhere in the US.

I highly doubt it is for employee housing. I suspect they have so much money that they want to build the next city as they envision it and be able to monetize everything from attracting new companies, selling developed homes, build commercial, etc. They are investing in something that is limited, namely land in California, and, with the seed money necessary for lobbying (zoning), creating a desirable place for rich, young people, etc. I would bet that this has nothing to do with them starting another company and providing subsidized employee housing below market (which would be taxable on both sides as compensation).
dimitrig
calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Yes, but why would they?

I highly doubt it is for employee housing. I suspect they have so much money that they want to build the next city as they envision it and be able to monetize everything from attracting new companies, selling developed homes, build commercial, etc. They are investing in something that is limited, namely land in California, and, with the seed money necessary for lobbying (zoning), creating a desirable place for rich, young people, etc. I would bet that this has nothing to do with them starting another company and providing subsidized employee housing below market (which would be taxable on both sides as compensation).

I suspect rich young people don't want to live there or they would already.

There is something to be said for "If you build it, they will come" but that works for warehouse workers and - in the old days - steel workers, and mill workers.

Tech workers? I doubt it.

calbear93
dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Yes, but why would they?

There is something to be said for "If you build it, they will come" but that works for warehouse workers and - in the old days - steel workers, and mill workers.

They don't live there since most of the land is not zoned for residential, and there isn't the overpriced coffee, restaurants, etc. that may make it acceptable to rich young people (by that, I mean upper middle class, generally tech workers).

San Francisco is no longer as desirable due to cost of living and crime. If tech workers moved to Nashville, Charlotte and even places in South Carolina, they will move within CA if there is cheaper housing with all of the commercial dining, coffee, bar, etc., better safety without homeless pandemic, and tech jobs.

The days of all tech jobs being remote are over. People can say that they are just as efficient remotely, but every executive I have spoken with have said teams and companies are not as efficient, innovation suffers, retention is more difficult, etc.
Big C

It's so mysterious! I'm thinking all of these "buyers" are a front for George Soros, who wants to somehow be able to ground all the planes at Travis Air Force Base when he takes over!
oski003
Big C said:

It's so mysterious! I'm thinking all of these "buyers" are a front for George Soros, who wants to be able to somehow be able to ground all the planes at Travis Air Force Base when he takes over!

The buyers are actually white people who, according to GFR, are all racist. They probably therefore just want to segregate themselves from the inferior races.
Cal88
calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Yes, but why would they?

They don't live there since most of the land is not zoned for residential, and there isn't the overpriced coffee, restaurants, etc. that may make it acceptable to rich young people (by that, I mean upper middle class, generally tech workers).

San Francisco is no longer as desirable due to cost of living and crime. If tech workers moved to Nashville, Charlotte and even places in South Carolina, they will move within CA if there is cheaper housing with all of the commercial dining, coffee, bar, etc., better safety without homeless pandemic, and tech jobs.

The days of all tech jobs being remote are over. People can say that they are just as efficient remotely, but every executive I have spoken with have said teams and companies are not as efficient, innovation suffers, retention is more difficult, etc.

The higher-end coders and techies with high salaries and advanced skills will continue to work remotely mostly, because most of them work very long hours anyway, and because they have leverage. The rest - management, marketing, act, HR etc - will go back to the office.
calbear93
Cal88 said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

calbear93 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Yes, but why would they?

The higher-end coders and techies with high salaries and advanced skills will continue to work remotely mostly, because most of them work very long hours anyway, and because they have leverage. The rest - management, marketing, act, HR etc - will go back to the office.
As you stated, leverage is key. Companies will make exceptions to recruit / retain truly high demand employees (even if may impact engagement from those forced to return), but the days of anyone choosing to work where they want is over even for tech employees. Not all coders and techies will have that type of leverage, only those who are truly impactful.
HearstMining
This could be pretty intriguing. This ownership group might push some innovative thinking to drive down construction cost and possibly energy usage. Factory_OS modular home builders is just over the hill on Mare Island and they've collaborated with Autodesk and Google on some projects, so are used to working with the tech industry. From what I've read, they focus on multi-unit construction. There are plenty of folks who would stay in the Bay Area if they could afford to be in a decent quality location.
Big C
oski003 said:

Big C said:

It's so mysterious! I'm thinking all of these "buyers" are a front for George Soros, who wants to be able to somehow be able to ground all the planes at Travis Air Force Base when he takes over!

The buyers are actually white people who, according to GFR, are all racist. They probably therefore just want to segregate themselves from the inferior races.

Maybe they want to buy this land and return it to the indigenous peoples! (Okay, probably not, but that is what crosses my mind when wealthy people have "land acknowledgements".... if you feel strongly about this issue, give them your land. Yet to happen, AFAIK.)
concordtom
Big C said:

It's so mysterious! I'm thinking all of these "buyers" are a front for George Soros, who wants to somehow be able to ground all the planes at Travis Air Force Base when he takes over!

No, he's not going to ground the planes!
He's going to use the planes to attack conservatives with pinpoint weapons that reach into their homes and vacuum up all their guns, into their wallets and extract all their cash.

Remember, Trump says, "if they can do this to me, imagine what they can do to you!!"
concordtom
HearstMining said:

This could be pretty intriguing. This ownership group might push some innovative thinking to drive down construction cost and possibly energy usage. Factory_OS modular home builders is just over the hill on Mare Island and they've collaborated with Autodesk and Google on some projects, so are used to working with the tech industry. From what I've read, they focus on multi-unit construction. There are plenty of folks who would stay in the Bay Area if they could afford to be in a decent quality location.

Bingo.
This is along the lines of what I'm thinking.

There are incredible new ways to do things, from transportation to energy to manufacturing.

A well financed, forward looking, group of people, in a market (read: overpriced) that allows for mistakes, could usher in big societal changes.

Where do I sign up?
dimitrig
concordtom said:

HearstMining said:

Bingo.
This is along the lines of what I'm thinking.

There are incredible new ways to do things, from transportation to energy to manufacturing.

A well financed, forward looking, group of people, in a market (read: overpriced) that allows for mistakes, could usher in big societal changes.

Where do I sign up?

I have never seen a "master planned community" that I would be willing to live in.

First Page Last Page
Page 221 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.