Breaking News

1,017,878 Views | 11950 Replies | Last: 50 min ago by dajo9
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

dajo9 said:

DiabloWags said:

Yup.

I cant even imagine how a wealth tax could be enforced.

Do we send IRS auditors over to some rich guys flat in London to "value" a painting? A vintage Ferrari in his garage? Some native American baskets? A Patek?

How would these auditors even be "qualified" to do such an evaluation?

Do they need to intern at the Smithsonian first?
Sotheby's

When an audit is done the IRS can hire somebody from Sotheby's to help out. Not a big deal.

Cool story.
There wont be enough people at Sotheby's to "help" out. Cool story though.

Silly premise, almost all art work with a value in the 7 figures or above is insured. If someone wants to keep a very valuable art piece undeclared, he runs the risk of that piece being stolen, or being prosecuted as a tax dodger, as art pieces in that price range tend to be well known.

A marginal wealth tax should start on personal assets above $5-10 million at a low rate (something like 0.25% per year) and gradually increase with every decimal figure to something like 2.5% for assets above $1 billion.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calbear93 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

concordtom said:

DiabloWags said:

Single family home prices in the SF Bay Area rose 22.6% in February year over year.

I think that we should all be taxed on that so that we can give more to government officials who KNOW how to spend OUR money better than we do.

That is all.

Yes, I admit I am completely befuddled about how a wealth taxation regimen could exist if it taxes not hordes of cash in the bank but unrealized gains!

And even there, taxation upon sale has big problems! That's how it is with houses and the lack of turnover. People (like me) sit on unrealized gains because if we sell we lose a conservable amount to the triggered capital gains taxes.

You are not the only one.

If you look at who is promoting wealth tax, they are disingenuous smart politicians and idiotic politicians and idiotic lay persons who read a theoretical article from someone who most likely got every single past prediction wrong. No one with actual real life experience or financial literacy thinks wealth tax is a good idea.

"No one"

Sounds very moderate and reasonable

"Nearly three quarters of millionaires polled in G20 countries support higher taxes on wealth, over half think extreme wealth is a "threat to democracy""
https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/nearly-three-quarters-millionaires-polled-g20-countries-support-higher-taxes-wealth

Btw, I have a much bigger problem with CEOs and the like making tens of millions per year while their companies do nothing. My old company, AT&T, being a prime example. CEO has nothing at risk, stock has been going down for 30 years(!), and yet he makes 20 million per year. Horrible.
Then you must love TCJA. It reformed 162(m) so that for covered persons, with CEO and CFO always being in the group, companies cannot deduct as expense any compensation to those persons above $1M. Prior to TCJA, there used to be an exception for performance-based compensation. As such, IRS gets double tax on those compensation above $1M, including with the companies when they earn money and again when paid out to the CEO.

I guess. Since I'm still a shareholder of T I'd rather they just not pay these folks that much or pay them only when they perform...like the T-Mobile guy did.
The market compensation is set. If they don't think he is right for the job, the better solution would be to find the right guy. Paying him below market rate will make AT&T extremely unlikely to recruit good talent. And if you think the right CEO cannot turn the company around, look at what Larry Culp who I really respect from Danaher did for GE and the clean up of balance sheet through spin offs and sales that no one thought was possible. GE is one of the best performers. I should have invested solely based on my confidence in Larry Culp but didn't. I have regrets.

That's the problem, the compensation has been set. What a system. It's sort of like how we ended up with Biden vs Trump. It's been set.
Big C
Cal88 said:

DiabloWags said:

dajo9 said:

DiabloWags said:

Yup.

Do we send IRS auditors over to some rich guys flat in London to "value" a painting? A vintage Ferrari in his garage? Some native American baskets? A Patek?

Sotheby's

When an audit is done the IRS can hire somebody from Sotheby's to help out. Not a big deal.

Cool story.

Silly premise, almost all art work with a value in the 7 figures or above is insured. If someone wants to keep a very valuable art piece undeclared, he runs the risk of that piece being stolen, or being prosecuted as a tax dodger, as art pieces in that price range tend to be well known.

A marginal wealth tax should start on personal assets above $5-10 million at a low rate (something like 0.25% per year) and gradually increase with every decimal figure to something like 2.5% for assets above $1 billion.

What if it were like a flat tax, held at 0.5%? Less than one percent could almost fly beneath the radar. (I said "almost".)
Cal88
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

DiabloWags said:

dajo9 said:

DiabloWags said:

Yup.

Sotheby's

Cool story.

What if it were like a flat tax, held at 0.5%? Less than one percent could almost fly beneath the radar. (I said "almost".)

Most people in the $500k-$5M range already pay a wealth tax near that percentage range in the form of property tax.
Lets Go Brandon 14
movielover said:

Relevant points, hence the term UniParty. It's all staged Kabuki theater.

bear2034

Are we going to cancel Puff Daddy or not?
bearister
Stunned archaeologists probe claims of giant skeletons in Nevada caves

https://mol.im/a/13268797

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
As to play in Sacramento for 3-4 years. Oakland was asking $90+ Million,plus all other kinds of intrusive demands.

Yahoo article says As won't draw well in West Sac. I think they might kill it. Intimate park, baseball crazy town, it will be the place to be.
movielover
movielover
movielover
The San Francisco Standard: San Francisco now towing drug dealers' cars in latest crackdown effort
movielover
movielover
P Diddy bigger than Epstein & working w FIB?

movielover
Three minutes with Douglass McGregor. What should America do?

movielover
Convicted Portland murderer given 2 years probation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5XOUxmtVbr/?igsh=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

movielover
Easter Sunday group retail theft in San Francisco.

MinotStateBeav
Harry Sisson and his friend whatshisname get proven to be DNC shills...

Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

Why should I care about some random 21 year old college student that I've never heard of until just now? I do think it's a good thing if he's living rent free in your head.
Lets Go Brandon 19
MinotStateBeav said:

movielover
Do we need a thread for crooked intell agencies?

tequila4kapp
movielover said:

Convicted Portland murderer given 2 years probation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5XOUxmtVbr/?igsh=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
Being a Portlander I had enough interest to do some digging / reading.

The state stipulated at trial that it could not disprove defendant's claim of self defense. There are a series of appellate arguments around statutory interpretation that will put everyone to sleep. More or less bottom line - he didn't commit murder because the state conceded his self defense claim; he's a felon illegally in possession of a firearm only.
Unit2Sucks
If you are reading this post, I guess you didn't make the cut for the rapture either. Maybe next time?
bear2034
Unit2Sucks said:

If you are reading this post, I guess you didn't make the cut for the rapture either. Maybe next time?

Are there reports of people being raptured?
sycasey
bear2034 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Are there reports of people being raptured?

Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

Guessing these jamooks didn't get raptured either. I bet they would find a kinship in many of the troll threads on this board though.

oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Guessing these jamooks didn't get raptured either. I bet they would find a kinship in many of the troll threads on this board though.

You do an excellent job of finding idiots on twitter and pretending like they are representative of larger populations you don't like. It is despicable.
bear2034
Unit2Sucks said:

I have confirmed that the hosts on the View were not raptured.
sycasey
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

You do an excellent job of finding idiots on twitter and pretending like they are representative of larger populations you don't like. It is despicable.

It's a good thing no one else here does that!
Eastern Oregon Bear
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

It's a good thing no one else here does that!
Oski003 has situational outrage.
Big C
bear2034 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I have confirmed that the hosts on the View were not raptured.

LMFAO, those women on The View! No way you would ever get a group of men discussing something and half of them are spouting stupid, ignorant stuff like that!

Oh, wait...
movielover
Reuters: NAIA bans transgender athletes in U.S. collegiate sports

Common sense rules at NAIA.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/naia-bans-transgender-athletes-us-collegiate-sports-2024-04-08/
movielover
Didn't earn it.
dajo9
oski003 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Andy Ngo
movielover
Science Girl is great.

Unit2Sucks
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Bless our hearts.

First Page Last Page
Page 295 of 342

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.