Rod Rosenstein fired or resigning? Constitutional Crisis?

2,570 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Another Bear
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

oski003 said:

Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

That is beyond fccked up. To name a inside group after a gang rape of a drunk girl? I'm against vigilante justice but in this case, some face breaking and breaking both hands until they're useless would be fair.

Seriously what kind of assswhole puts that in their year book, printed? Oh right...conservatives.

Okay, I read the nyt article. Nowhere does it say that this group was named after the gang rape of a girl. You are lying.

Oski, what do you think of when you read a bunch of jocks publicly say they share a girl in common and have a name for the club? I'm sure if this was your daughter you'd be able to let that slide. Just meant they danced with her, right? "Oski's Daughter Club" or something like that. Lot's of things coming out that don't paint such a great picture of this guy's character in his early adulthood.

I wouldn't say they gang raped her, that's for sure.
That distinction would mean something to you and your daughter? I guess anything can get worse, no matter how bad it originally is
golden sloth
wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

Nobody got away with that kind of stuff at O'Dowd in their yearbook. The staff member assigned to yearbook oversight at that Catholic High School was asleep at the wheel. How does Prep School Boy respond to cross examination on the meaning of those entries?
No one gets away with anything like that now. In those days things were different. Just think of the films: Risky Business, Ferris Bueller, Ridgemont High, Breakfast Club, etc. Animal House was a few years before. Maybe zero tolerance and no fun is better, as most of the fun was at others' expense.

In my high school back in the '70's, there were all sorts of drug, sex and booze innuendo in everything, and it only got worse in the '80's. My school wisely didn't allow personal comments in the year book (or we would all be in a world of regret), but has plenty of pictures of streakers - that was the rage then. I don't even think the streakers got detention. Now you would get expelled. I guess that getting naked thing finally graduated to Yale by the '80's.
I'm actually against no tolerance policies, as I don't believe they adequately work to deter bad behavior or promote acceptable behavior. I think it overly punishes kids when they screw up, and the effects of that punishment drives the student down an irredeemable path. In many ways it is like our criminal justice system, when most people just want to lock the bad guys up and forget about them forever instead of trying to reintegrate or rehabilitate them (it turns out surrounding questionable people to criminals turns them into criminals). I understand how it makes sense in the 2 second snap judgment to simply say, screw that kid, punish him, get rid of him, but those punishments don't lead to improvements in behavior and commonly end with the kid in jail later on, therefore the question must be raised as to whether or not this system is working and what the point is. This is also the expensive option, as jail is expensive, so it deters my fiscal responsibility side. Criminalizing bad behavior in high school sets students up for a life in prison. Zero tolerance policies have been all the rage for almost 30 years now, because it involves 'getting tough' and works to soothe the irrational suburban parental paranoia and fears, but zero tolerance policies typically don't work.
Another Bear
Quote:

AB, I didn't find any mention of a gang rape here; instead, it seemed like a bunch of jock jerkoffs boasting about (I presume) their shared sexual conquest (notches on bedpost) of the same girl. 10+ guys, including a group yearbook photo commemorating this bro bond. I guess because Kav was supposedly a virgin throughout high school, maybe he is boasting about the type of sex that can allow one to maintain their concept of virginity.

Or just a cruel joke about everyone banging the same girl. Or something in between the two.

I agree, there's no mention of gang rape. Avenatti eluded to it. So I was combining two ideas.

That said, you mentioned Jock Culture, and Kavanaugh specifically was a FB player and I've seen Catholic school FB culture from the inside, but not fully immersed. I agree it sounds like a bunch of jerk off talkers but from my experience I've seen that stuff (short of gang rape). I've seen guys grope and kiss drunk/passed out girls. At the time you think what, but you're a stupid kid. There was stuff going on but no one was educated about it and there was booze and drugs to fog judgment.

I've also heard talk of trains in HS, but not my class (sister's class a few years ahead). I don't know if the train talk was BS, warning mythology or what but I could see it happening from my experience in the wrong circumstances. It's not a stretch if everyone is stinking fall down drunk.

I've seen jock culture first hand and FB culture via friends and running track. (lots of sprinters also play FB). Jock culture can be dumb but big time football comes with a social structure, often propped up by the school/admin. You could be just an average kid but if you made varsity suddenly somethings were handed to you or in place...like always getting the benefit of the doubt, free passes on school work, support and even dates or a match. Privilege basically.

I have to do more thinking on this. But I did get text from HS school buddies. One sort of stunted me. "Kavanaugh never made it to the make out room?". A lot of HS is an illusion, fake or made up, reputation and nonsense. But I did know a few HS alcoholics.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.