Election Night Thread

38,242 Views | 332 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by golden sloth
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's kick it off.
LACalFan
Way early, but Texas!
bearister
Mattis leads military coup to depose tRump.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
golden sloth
Just got home. Of the toss-up Senate Races:

West Virginia and Ohio go Blue.

Florida and Indiana both appear to be going Red, but the areas not yet counted seem to be the cities, which provides some hope for the Dems.

The Florida Governor's race is tight with about 80,000 votes separating the two (with the Republican in the lead), and only the cities to be counted.

Most of the other races have only begun to count the ballots.
offshorebear
LACalFan said:

Way early, but Texas!

More than 50% reporting, tied 49.7% to 49.7%. Wow
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
Fox News projects Dems take House.
77Bear
I don't understand the amount of emotion many people put into elections. Are their lives and happiness that dependent upon which party happens to control the White House, the Senate or the House?
Another Bear
Oh the irony...now someone simply needs to kick that a-hole in the nuts are hard as humanly possible. So is self-suppression like self-abuse? Idiot.

Quote:

Georgia GOP candidate Brian Kemp was foiled by his own state's voter ID law when he tried to vote.

Georgia Secretary of State and GOP gubernatorial candidate Brian Kemp had problems with his voter ID when he went to cast his ballot on Election Day.

"It turns out his voting card was invalid," a reporter with Atlanta's WSB-TV revealed in a video report on Kemp's issues voting at his polling place in Winterville, Georgia.

golden sloth
77Bear said:

I don't understand the amount of emotion many people put into elections. Are their lives and happiness that dependent upon which party happens to control the White House, the Senate or the House?
Its not so much that government makes me happy, in that it has the potential to make me unhappy. Personally, I would like a government I'm not ashamed of, and cares about things I care about.
golden sloth
The first big surprise to me, the Kansas governor goes Democrat. Kelly over Kobach.
Another Bear
After Brownback tried to run the state straight Libertarian and FAILING massively, makes sense to me.
offshorebear
Cruz over O'Rourke. Not Texas' finest day.
golden sloth
offshorebear said:

Cruz over O'Rourke. Not Texas' finest day.
Texas was always a pipe dream in the Senate, hopefully Beto's presence helped down ballot.
dajo9
77Bear said:

Some people are very upset when our country separates migrant children from their parents and locks them up, lost to bureaucracy - and some people don't care. Pretty simple really.
American Vermin
dajo9
Looking like a huge wave election. Popular House vote about +9 for Democrats. Biggest midterm wave in my adult life (since before 1994). Bigger than 1994, bigger than 2010, bigger than 2014.

The fact the results are so disparate from the will of the people shows how broken our Democracy is.
American Vermin
bearister
Mushroom Dick better get his tax returns in order for the Congressional Investigation.

Another Bear
Get ready for...

Cal88
FL, IN and ND (D) senate seats flipping.
golden sloth
The most important governor races seem to be leaning as follows:
Florida - Republican
Georgia - Republican
Ohio - Republican
Wisconsin -Too Tight
Another Bear
Kirkpatrick is taking AZ - 2.

Nice to see her and Donna Shalala in Fla going old school. They're going to bring some chops to Congress.
bearister
Steve Schmidt: "Tonight tRumpism was repudiated in Urban America and validated in rural America."
Anarchistbear
dajo9 said:

Looking like a huge wave election. Popular House vote about +9 for Democrats. Biggest midterm wave in my adult life (since before 1994). Bigger than 1994, bigger than 2010, bigger than 2014.

The fact the results are so disparate from the will of the people shows how broken our Democracy is.

Orange slices and Gatorade for everyone!
dajo9
Anarchistbear said:

dajo9 said:

Orange slices and Gatorade for everyone!

I'll take the House with full subpoena power, thanks.
American Vermin
okaydo
77Bear said:

I don't get anybody who would downplay the importance of elections. I guess you've never been denied health insurance because you have a preexisting condition like allergies. If Obamacare didn't pass, the status quo would be maintained. Yes, it does affect your happiness if you have health insurance vs. not having health insurance, believe it or not.

I could go on and on....like how the Supreme Court affects people's lives, and such.

What kind of bubble do you live in where you're unaffected by what party has power?

Must be nice!

kjkbear
I thought there would be a more substantial change in the house. The change may reach the size of 2010, but right now it's just more than half that size. The Senate isn't surprising because the Democrats had to defend so many seeds. But this isn't a very negative referendum on Trump. His losses are no different and even less than has occurred several times in the first midterm election of recent presidents. The house has the subpoena power, so that's a change.
sycasey
Clear as mud!

Democrats do win the House. Not quite the huge wave they might have wanted in their wildest dreams, but still a solid win, especially given how gerrymandered it was against them.

Republicans pick up more than expected in the Senate, though it was an unusually favorable map for them. Will be the opposite in 2020.

Democrats do pick up some Governors, though not as many as they might have liked.

Honestly, it looks like a fairly standard midterm for a President who is at sub-50% approval.
dajo9
kjkbear said:

I thought there would be a more substantial change in the house. The change may reach the size of 2010, but right now it's just more than half that size. The Senate isn't surprising because the Democrats had to defend so many seeds. But this isn't a very negative referendum on Trump. His losses are no different and even less than has occurred several times in the first midterm election of recent presidents. The house has the subpoena power, so that's a change.
This kind of analysis is all wrong (the part bolded above). A comparison of how many seats flipped between two periods is really a comparison of 1) 2010 vs. 2008 and 2) 2018 vs. 2016. Democrats got a larger share of the vote in 2018 than Republicans did in 2010. So, all the bolded statement above is saying is Democrats did better in 2016 than Republican did in 2008. Remember, Republicans got wiped out in 2008 with the economic collapse and Iraq War. So the swing back was big, making 2010 vs. 2008 a large variance.

2018, by itself, was a clear and resounding statement for the Democrats on a national level. Even in the Senate, the Democrats won 20 Senate elections and Republicans won 13 (with many, many millions of more votes). By comparing everything to the previous election (flips) the analysis of what happened in 2018 is made wrong.
American Vermin
kjkbear
dajo. Early in the evening you announced from New Jersey that you were sure this was the biggest wave election of your lifetime. It wasn't. Occasionally you make incorrect predictions . This was one. The house flipped . the voters got it right. But the flip was pretty ordinary for a midterm.
Anarchistbear
Democrats win Senate contests 20-13 is today's great headline in the Little Big Horn Express.
dajo9
kjkbear said:

dajo. Early in the evening you announced from New Jersey that you were sure this was the biggest wave election of your lifetime. It wasn't. Occasionally you make incorrect predictions . This was one. The house flipped . the voters got it right. But the flip was pretty ordinary for a midterm.
That wasn't a prediction. That was a statement from the actual results of how the national popular vote was coming in for the House of Representatives. And, in terms of how people voted it was the biggest wave election of my lifetime.

The size of the mandate from the people is reduced by gerrymandering. Dems need to win about 56% of the national vote just to be even with Republicans. The system is broken - but the people have spoken. Louder than 1994, 2010, or 2014.

Yes, I'm fully aware that is not the story the mainstream media is going to tell. It's just reality.

American Vermin
dajo9
Anarchistbear said:

Democrats win Senate contests 20-13 is today's great headline in the Little Big Horn Express.
People Who Hate Democrats, Continue to Hate Democrats

News at eleven.
American Vermin
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

Mushroom Dick better get his tax returns in order for the Congressional Investigation.

26 U.S. Code 6103 - Confidentiality and disclosure of returns and return information
golden sloth
I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the results. Yes, the Democrats achieved their baseline goal of getting the house, and did so easily (but not dominately). They changed a few governorship's, but I'd trade all three of Kansas, New Mexico and Nevada for one of Ohio or Georgia. The Senate looks like it will be slightly worse for Dem's than I thought. I was hoping for a final 50/50 split, but would be okay with Republicans grabbing 51 or 52, and it looks like they will grab 53+, which means it will be harder to retake the Senate in 2020.

Also, seeing Florida go Republican for both the Senate and the Governor when the polls had the Dems in the lead on both leads me to believe there is still an underrepresented portion of Trump's base that isn't getting polled, and that will support him, meaning going into 2020 you should assume Florida goes Republican.
dajo9
golden sloth said:

I'll be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the results. Yes, the Democrats achieved their baseline goal of getting the house, and did so easily (but not dominately). They changed a few governorship's, but I'd trade all three of Kansas, New Mexico and Nevada for one of Ohio or Georgia. The Senate looks like it will be slightly worse for Dem's than I thought. I was hoping for a final 50/50 split, but would be okay with Republicans grabbing 51 or 52, and it looks like they will grab 53+, which means it will be harder to retake the Senate in 2020.

Also, seeing Florida go Republican for both the Senate and the Governor when the polls had the Dems in the lead on both leads me to believe there is still an underrepresented portion of Trump's base that isn't getting polled, and that will support him, meaning going into 2020 you should assume Florida goes Republican.
I'm disappointed too in how some of these individual races went. Looks like Georgia was stolen via voter suppression, as expected. Other states were just disappointing.

But Florida will be interesting because they passed Amendment 4, restoring felons who have served their time, their right to vote. This gives 1 - 2 million Floridians the ability to vote in 2020 that they didn't have before. A disproportionate number of these people are black. So, I don't know how that will shake out and I'm not making any predictions about Florida. I'm just saying Florida will continue to be interesting.
American Vermin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.