Something You Will Never See On This Board

4,878 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wifeisafurd
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

GDP:

You know, in China, it is widely believed that they doctor their GDP #s.
Looking at trump's record above, where each quarter is just incrementally better than the last, and considering how much of addict he is to lying and cheating, it makes me suspect he's also doctoring the numbers.

Honestly, I can trust NOTHING that emanates from this White House administration!
concordtom
concordtom
Once this deficit fueled bubble pops, we will be up a serious creek.
A prior comment mentioned that we are supposed to run deficits during downturn, not to further inflate bubbles.
Got that totally right.
Danger lurking, and then all you trump supporters will be huge fools.
Playing with Fire.

Another Bear

Workers barely benefited from Trump's sweeping tax cut, investigation shows

Quote:

Big companies drove the 2017 Tax and Jobs Act, but did not commit to any specific wage hikes, the Center for Public Integrity found
Unit2Sucks
Another Bear said:

Workers barely benefited from Trump's sweeping tax cut, investigation shows

Quote:

Big companies drove the 2017 Tax and Jobs Act, but did not commit to any specific wage hikes, the Center for Public Integrity found

To absolutely no one's surprise. The republicans pretended that the corporate tax cuts would benefit workers but they knew the truth and never really cared.

I believe WIAF is the only person here who legitimately questioned what corporations would do with their savings.
golden sloth
CEO salaries rise, Median Salaries stays the same or shrinks:

Quote:

In general, CEOs in America enjoyed pay increases last year that far outpaced workers' gains. Average CEO pay across all industries rose 8 percent on average in 2018 to $7.4 million, according to Equilar. Meanwhile, average median wages for employees at those companies stayed about the same at $77,000, on average. CEOs at those companies made about 150 times what a typical worker did last year.

And in the world of Tech:

Quote:

Overall, tech CEO salary rose 15 percent last year on average to $6.6 million, according to preliminary proxy statement data from executive compensation company Equilar, which looks at the 3,000 largest companies in the US by market cap. The average median pay for all their workers actually declined 2 percent to $82,500, for a CEO to employee pay ratio of 129 to 1.
https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/5/2/18522927/ceo-pay-ratio-tech-employee-salary-2018
Another Bear
White Evangelicals' Support for Trump Has a Soft Underbelly
Quote:

Nearly half of the conservative Christian group would prefer anyone but Trump in 2020, or refused to answer
Quote:

• 55% of white evangelicals prefer President Donald Trump at the top of the ticket, 16 points lower than the share of Republicans who say the same.
  • 42% of the conservative Christian group said they'll have less influence in 10 years than they do now, while 23% said they'll have more.

The Trump Crime Family base is crumbling...could be trouble. Given how white evangelicals have support Trump, this is a big deal. They're saying it's a lack of respect.
smh
> GBear4Life
Quote:

Stop by a homeless shelter and ask them how many people refuse their support because of their rules: no drugs, no alcohol, out at dawn back at sun down, follow a program headed for sobriety and employment etc etc.

another spin, from 10 years ago..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227926/quotes/qt1454325
Quote:

Captain Hammer: [reading from cue cards] i hate the homeless [re-checks card] ..ness problem that plagues our city.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227926/quotes?item=qt0453163
Quote:

Penny: You're not really interested in the homeless, are you?

Dr. Horrible: No, I am, but... it's a symptom. You're treating a symptom while the disease rages on, consumes the human race. The fish rots from the head, so they say. So I'm thinking, why not cut off the head?

Penny: [pause] Of the human race?
Dr. Horrible: It's not a... perfect metaphor.

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
smh
bearister's zinger..

recollects..
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167404/quotes/qt0249072
Quote:

Cole Sear: I see dead people..

Cole Sear: All the time

muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
bearister
John Harwood on Twitter: "in Jan 2009, the govt Obama inherited was running $1-T budget deficit GOP ripped him throughout his term for running up debt when Obama handed off to Trump, deficit had been cut below $600-B, to 3.2% of GDP now deficit's back to $1-T, 5.1% of GDP

John Harwood on Twitter: "after Obama in 2009 inherited financial crisis/recession w/unemployment soaring, Congressional Republicans demanded: "where are the jobs?" average monthly job gains in last 2.5 years of Obama's term: 221K average during Trump's first 2.5 years: 193K

John Harwood on Twitter: "economic growth has peaked at 3.5% in two of the ten quarters of Trump's presidency 3.5% is strong but when Trump says it's the best economy ever, remember: 3.5% would rank as Obama's 7th-best quarter of growth, GWB's 8th-best, and Clinton's 18th-best.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oski003
bearister said:

John Harwood on Twitter: "in Jan 2009, the govt Obama inherited was running $1-T budget deficit GOP ripped him throughout his term for running up debt when Obama handed off to Trump, deficit had been cut below $600-B, to 3.2% of GDP now deficit's back to $1-T, 5.1% of GDP

John Harwood on Twitter: "after Obama in 2009 inherited financial crisis/recession w/unemployment soaring, Congressional Republicans demanded: "where are the jobs?" average monthly job gains in last 2.5 years of Obama's term: 221K average during Trump's first 2.5 years: 193K

John Harwood on Twitter: "economic growth has peaked at 3.5% in two of the ten quarters of Trump's presidency 3.5% is strong but when Trump says it's the best economy ever, remember: 3.5% would rank as Obama's 7th-best quarter of growth, GWB's 8th-best, and Clinton's 18th-best.

Further extrapolating on the logic in your last paragraph, Libya's GDP grew 55%. How can Trump say it's the best economy ever?
Unit2Sucks
We will be lucky to hit 2% GDP growth this year and failed to hit 3% last year.

Further, the feds completely whiffed on their 2018 jobs numbers and recently revised them downward by 0.5 million jobs. That's about 20% of the job growth they previously reported and the largest downward adjustment in history. Funny Trump never seemed to have mentioned it and the conservatives crowing about the economy here failed to address it either.
wifeisafurd
Unit2Sucks said:

We will be lucky to hit 2% GDP growth this year and failed to hit 3% last year.

Further, the feds completely whiffed on their 2018 jobs numbers and recently revised them downward by 0.5 million jobs. That's about 20% of the job growth they previously reported and the largest downward adjustment in history. Funny Trump never seemed to have mentioned it and the conservatives crowing about the economy here failed to address it either.
I tend to agree with Unit 2 on a lot of stuff but I have a different take here. First, overall growth still is good, because that 2% is in real terms as opposed to percentage growth still good and the job market is tight - unemployment rate is near a 50 years low, and keeps getting lower.

Second....the economy seems headed for a fall AT SOME POINT SOON after all the tax cuts and spending because:

1. Trump's trade wars have hurt the global economy (people in countries that buy US goods and services) and will be impacting growth in this country soon.

2. Yield curve discussed enough around here

3. Manufacturing orders are dropping ( I known we are not that much of a manufacturing economy, but it is an important indicator). Why? The economic slow down abroad, and trade tensions

4. Consumer confidence is basically flat compared to a year ago, but it has fallen since late last year. Consumer spending has driven a lot of the late burst in this long expansion cycle, proving Keynsian economics still provide an answer. Cut taxes and spend you will boost the economy (at some point with deficits do we see inflation ?).

5) The housing market has frequently led the economy both into and out of recessions. That has made building permits which are generally issued several weeks before construction begins one of the best historical indicators of economic activity. It is down. I know it's coming, the tax law changes screwed housing, and I don't disagree. But with high employment, seeing housing starts go down is more than just tax law changes.

6) This economic expansion has lated around 10 years and arguably is the longest in the country's history. At some point, another down cycle is due. You can't have markets constantly in turmoil due to things a President says, without negative impact.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.