Did Trump Use His Influence With Israel To Bar Two Congresspersons From Visit?

14,275 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Anarchistbear
BearNIt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It appears that less than a month after saying that two United States congresswomen would be welcomed to visit Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu has suddenly advised that they would be barred from entering Israel and the occupied territories. Netanyahu has advised that his decision was based a 2017 law which affects those supporting the boycott movement against Israel due to their treatment of the Palestinian people. The United States congresswomen affected by Israel's decision are Reps. Omar and Tlalib. Representative Tlaib applied for a visit under humanitarian concerns as she has family in the occupied territory. Of course the Idiot in Chief tweeted prior to Israel's decision:

Quote:

It would show great weakness if Israel allowed Rep. Omar and Rep.Tlaib to visit. They hate Israel & all Jewish people, & there is nothing that can be said or done to change their minds. Minnesota and Michigan will have a hard time putting them back in office. They are a disgrace!
Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 15, 2019

Could Netanyahu's decision have been influenced by the Idiot in Chief? Could Netanyahu be returning a favor in light of the Idiot in Chief's hosting of the Prime Minister at the White House and unwavering support of Netanyahu prior to and during Israel's recent elections even as Netanyahu and his wife were under a cloud of suspicion for corruption? You have to wonder how this will be received in Congress. Early on there has been bipartisan condemnation of Israel's decision from the leadership of both parties.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49363041
Another Bear
Trump and Netanyahu are in cahoots. They feed from the same trough of authoritarianism.
Unit2Sucks
BearNIt said:

Could Netanyahu's decision have been influenced by the Idiot in Chief?

Is there any doubt here? He's beholden to Trump and he knows if he doesn't do it Trump will act irrationally and will respond asymmetrically. This is the problem with getting in bed with Trump and a lesson that all of his associates figure out sooner or later.
Anarchistbear
Trump's nation building- it's just the wrong f$cking nation
bearister
Has there ever been another POTUS that told a foreign country not to allow U.S. politicians from the opposition party into its borders?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
Bad idea by Netanyahu. Trump won't be around forever and eventually they'll have to deal with another President, plus Congresspeople can be around for a long time. This creates long-term vulnerability for a questionable short-term gain.

So yeah, it's got Trump's fingerprints all over it.
OBear073akaSMFan
When we finally get the moron out of office I look forward to him and family indicted for corruption and 'cahooting' with our enemy, the Russians. My guess he and his family will be escaping to Siberia before they are brought to trial. Take away his passports before it is too late. I hope he rots with moron Jr , Ivanka and Jared in prison. Next fo after the corrupt Republican congressmen who lied and did much to stymie all of investigation.
Anarchistbear
sycasey said:

Bad idea by Netanyahu. Trump won't be around forever and eventually they'll have to deal with another President, plus Congresspeople can be around for a long time. This creates long-term vulnerability for a questionable short-term gain.

Bibi has already won big time. He was invited by Congress to deliver an address to the country denouncing a sitting President's foreign policy. He colluded with the Trump administration to get Michael Flynn to talk to Russia on behalf of Israel on a UN vote on settlements. The Iran deal is dead. Settlements are going. It's been a strategic master class
GoOskie
Maybe we can be allowed to trophy hunt moron jr. With rubber arrows, of course.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Bibi has already won big time. He was invited by Congress to deliver an address to the country denouncing a sitting President's foreign policy. He colluded with the Trump administration to get Michael Flynn to talk to Russia on behalf of Israel on a UN vote on settlements. The Iran deal is dead. Settlements are going. It's been a strategic master class

His decisions until this have been good. This decision not so good.
Anarchistbear
This decision is pay back to Trump- we'll see how it plays out. I don't think it's a big deal.
wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

yes Trump influenced the decision - not even subtle. He basically tweeted to the world not to let them in. As for the 2 Congress members, they hate Israel, and are part of the boycott Israel movement, so I really doubt barring them changes their views or as any other meaningful impact.
Another Bear
Actually it might be a lose-lose for Israel. For one, bending over for Trump might have a limited effect given a coming election and Congressional reps can have long careers and vote on stuff, and later lead committees.

With Trump's overt racism, the looming #TrumpSlump and his sundry list of lies, crimes and swamp monsters, now might not be the time to hitch your wagon.
Anarchistbear
The House voted 398-17 to condemn the BDS movement- so essentially all Israel is doing is affirming their vote. The Israel lobby rules here and the Dems are also their loyal servants

Here's what Pelosi says- laughable

"Israel's denial of entry to Congresswomen Tlaib & Omar is beneath the dignity of the great State of #Israel. "

sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

The House voted 398-17 to condemn the BDS movement- so essentially all Israel is doing is affirming their vote. The Israel lobby rules here and the Dems are also their loyal servants

Think long term here. This kind of action will diminish Israel's support in Congress, particularly among Dems.
Unit2Sucks
LOL @ Pelosi's statement. At this point in time, absolutely nothing is beneath the dignity of the president. Hopefully in the future her statement becomes true again.
Anarchistbear
Please. How did subverting Obama's (one) signature legacy affect Democrat support for Israel?

398-17 in favor of some BDS thing and 90% of Americans have no idea what it even means but somehow this is a priority. The Democrats are craven and bought.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

Please. How did subverting Obama's (one) signature legacy affect Democrat support for Israel?

398-17 in favor of some BDS thing and 90% of Americans have no idea what it even means but somehow this is a priority. The Democrats are craven and bought.

I'm not sure when or how "diminished support for Israel" was equated with "majority support for BDS," but that is certainly not my argument here.
bearister
https://www.reddit.com/r/HighQualityGifs/comments/cqmd3v/shenanigans/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Anarchistbear
Your argument as I understand it is that Israel's actions vis a vis Omar and Tlaib will diminish support for Israel among Dems. My argument is there is no evidence for that and that Omar and Tlaib are fringe figures while the vast majority of Dems support Israel no matter what it does- be it trash
Obama or collude with Trump. And that the Democrats by their BDS vote show just how trivial Omar and Tlaib are- they support Israel's and Trump's position and by proxy ostracizing the two congress women
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

Your argument as I understand it is that Israel's actions vis a vis Omar and Tlaib will diminish support for Israel among Dems. My argument is there is no evidence for that and that Omar and Tlaib are fringe figures while the vast majority of Dems support Israel no matter what it does- be it trash
Obama or collude with Trump. And that the Democrats by their BDS vote show just how trivial Omar and Tlaib are- they support Israel's and Trump's position and by proxy ostracizing the two congress women

You seem to take it as a given that the current situation is as it will always be. I do not.

Of course there wouldn't be evidence for it YET. This thing literally just happened.

The thing is that Israel used to basically fellate all of Congress no matter what. That's how they built their current support. To take a stand against some Democrats at Trump's urging is something that could put cracks in that support.
Anarchistbear
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

You seem to take it as a given that the current situation is as it will always be. I do not.

Of course there wouldn't be evidence for it YET. This thing literally just happened.

The thing is that Israel used to basically fellate all of Congress no matter what. That's how they built their current support. To take a stand against some Democrats at Trump's urging is something that could put cracks in that support.

Of course nobody knows what the future begins or when but I think you're wrong that ostracizing these two marginal people could put cracks in Dems support when subverting their own President didn't. Look at Pelosi's response it sounds more like an apology
concordtom
Trump needs to be Mussolini'd asap.
concordtom
Maybe the anti trump states, which hold wealth and pay more to Fed than receives back, could simply stop paying any taxes. Use our economic advantages to rid the USA of the growing scum the GOP is fostering.

GOP, terrorist organization.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

Of course nobody knows what the future begins or when but I think you're wrong that ostracizing these two marginal people could put cracks in Dems support when subverting their own President didn't. Look at Pelosi's response it sounds more like an apology
Democratic voters' support for Israel continues to fall in polling.

https://www.heyalma.com/israel-guide/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-american-progressive-left-and-israel/

Source: https://www.people-press.org/2018/01/23/republicans-and-democrats-grow-even-further-apart-in-views-of-israel-palestinians/

If this keeps up then Democrats in Congress will have to follow their base.
Anarchistbear
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

https://www.heyalma.com/israel-guide/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-american-progressive-left-and-israel/

No, they will follow the money as they currently do.
Another Bear
Trump is playing Israel because they don't benefit from this and it seems aimed at propping up his base, even as they are low information. This is about beating down his opposition. The thing is, they might outlast him.

Like I said before, looks like a lose-lose but the suck-up game is in action...and Trump absolutely loves being sucked up to.

In any case, this is more of the same Trump crap; division, divide, spew hate, cast the left wing crap. The difference is Israel got pulled in and they swallowed just like how Trump likes it.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

And money is a sentient entity with a mind of its own? No, it's donated by people. If people change their minds the money follows.
Another Bear
Funding to Israel won't go away but this can't help. Dems will have the house. If they get the presidency and the senate, Netanyahu looks bad but he'll suck up to the next admin...but maybe the Dems remember and give a stare, rattle some cages.
Quote:

Liberal Democrat eyes aid cuts to Israel after Omar, Tlaib denied entry

A leading progressive lawmaker is eyeing funding cuts to Israel to protest the country's stunning decision to bar entrance to Democratic Reps. Ilhan Omar (Minn.) and Rashida Tlaib (Mich.).

Citing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's "disrespect" for the U.S. Congress, Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wis.) said the move to block Omar and Tlaib from their scheduled visit on Sunday is "outrageous" and deserves a congressional response including the possibility of cutting foreign aid.

"No more members of Congress, no delegations, should be going to Israel unless this decision is reversed. And I think we're going to have to have some serious conversations even about financial support," Pocan, a co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, said Thursday by phone.

"You can't have a respectful relationship, and give the amount of billions of dollars that we give to a country like Israel, but at the same time have them denying members of Congress I don't care where their political persuasion comes from access into the country," he added. "I mean, at that point, this highly political move by Netanyahu could have a very serious impact, and could [lead to] far more scrutiny on what we're doing financially."

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/457600-liberal-democrat-eyes-aid-cuts-to-israel-after-omar-tlaib-denied-entry

Anarchistbear
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

And money is a sentient entity with a mind of its own? No, it's donated by people. If people change their minds the money follows.

People have little to do with our fighting wars in seven countries and a $700 billion budget. You can't be so naive to believe this has anything to do with people and their donations.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

People have little to do with our fighting wars in seven countries and a $700 billion budget. You can't be so naive to believe this has anything to do with people and their donations.

You'll have to explain yourself a lot more here.
Anarchistbear
Our government has little or nothing to do with individuals and their wants and needs.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

Our government has little or nothing to do with individuals and their wants and needs.

I meant more an explanation of how you think it works and what you think should be done.

Obviously I do not agree with the above blanket assertion, so you'll have to work a bit harder.
wifeisafurd
Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Bibi has a built in excuse. I did what the guy that controls foreign aide wanted. Nanci, get back to me when you have enough votes for a veto.

Pelosi's tepid response to Israel and her other actions (like forcing AOC to fire her chief of staff) and snarly remarks just demonstrates she views the Squad as Mohamit, Jugdish, etc.

Mohamet, uh, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton. - https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/725eec2d-2dac-434e-8bb0-6b4b94f3d9cc#SyflT8KoXVr.twitter https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/725eec2d-2dac-434e-8bb0-6b4b94f3d9cc
Anarchistbear
sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

I meant more an explanation of how you think it works and what you think should be done.

Obviously I do not agree with the above blanket assertion, so you'll have to work a bit harder.

The government works on behalf of their corporate benefactors. There is a total disconnect and distrust between the people and their government which is why Trump won. The people don't want endless wars with no adversaries, jobs disappearing overseas, no raises for working people in decades, looter bankers going free, and the benefits of the "recovery" going to a few.

Mass killings, alienation, suicides and drug overdoses are at historic highs. Why do you suppose that is? It's a society which has no faith in its institutions and no center.

We live in an authoritarian state ruled by two authoritarian parties- both peddling fear- one peddles the lie that socialists and migrant hordes of immigrants are going to invade us; one peddles xenophobic nonsense about Russia/ Trump conspiracy hoaxes and that we live in a fascist state. In truth they are the most enthusiastic and second most enthusiastic shills for corporations in the world.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.