Another Texas Shooting

4,366 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearNIt
BearNIt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

going4roses said:

BearNakedLadies said:

GBear4Life said:

132,000 K-12 schools in America and how many school shootings???
Too many

Why is this so hard to comprehend ? Why is it that any school shooting is considered within the "norm"
How ironic. It's the media and dummies that are portraying shootings are the "norm". That's my point. It's not.

How do our rates compare to the rest of the world?
How is this relevant to and address the point I'm making?
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

going4roses said:

BearNakedLadies said:

GBear4Life said:

Too many

Why is this so hard to comprehend ? Why is it that any school shooting is considered within the "norm"
How ironic. It's the media and dummies that are portraying shootings are the "norm". That's my point. It's not.

Point is that our idea of the "norm" may well be out of whack in the other direction. In other countries it's the norm to not have school shootings at all.

Was this really not clear to you?
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

going4roses said:

BearNakedLadies said:

GBear4Life said:

Too many

Point is that our idea of the "norm" may well be out of whack in the other direction. In other countries it's the norm to not have school shootings at all.

Was this really not clear to you?
That's fine. But I wasn't making a claim about any number of school shootings being the "norm". That's why I didn't find it relevant to the point I was making. I'm criticizing the narrative that school shootings in the "norm" or pervasive relative to gun violence. One school shooting is "too many" just as any shooting or homicide is "too many".
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

I'm criticizing the narrative that school shootings in the "norm" or pervasive relative to gun violence.
And I'm making the point that in the USA it is pervasive, relative to other places.
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

GBear4Life said:

I'm criticizing the narrative that school shootings in the "norm" or pervasive relative to gun violence.
And I'm making the point that in the USA it is pervasive, relative to other places.
Right, that's fundamentally true. But it didn't address my post (I inferred that your post was intended to).

I can say pancake is a dessert rather than a breakfast due to its nutrition and flavor profiles. You can then also say that pancakes are very popular. Both can be true, and we could both agree, but your assertion has nothing to do with mine.

sycasey
I find this a silly side argument and will drop it now.
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

I find this a silly side argument and will drop it now.
thank you.

Or just admitting you injected an irrelevant rebuttal would suffice.
sycasey
I think it's a fair point to bring up in the discussion, regardless of whether or not you think it's a specific rebuttal to your post.

And I really don't care about that last point.
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

I think it's a fair point to bring up in the discussion, regardless of whether or not you think it's a specific rebuttal to your post.

And I really don't care about that last point.
I agree. As I noted, I inferred your response to my post was intended to be a counter, not merely an isolated observation of fact you wanted to point out in the broader context of the topic iteself. If that wasn't the case then yes this has been quite pointless.
bearister
"The deadliest American mass shootings in the past 20 years have had one thing in common: The perpetrator used an assault rifle, Axios visual journalists Chris Canipe and Lazaro Gamio write.

Why it matters: These weapons amplify the destructive will of the person who carries out an attack.
Nine people died and 27 were injured in a mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, in a shooting that lasted 32 seconds. The killer used an AR-15 style assault rifle.
Since 1999, the U.S. has had 115 mass shootings (defined as at least three people killed).

941 people were killed; 1,431 were injured.
Of those 115 attacks, 32 just over a quarter involved semi-automatic rifles. But those attacks accounted for 40% of all deaths and 69% of all injuries.
Since 2017, 12 of the 31 mass shootings involved assault rifles which caused 39% of the deaths and 92% of the injuries.
That includes the Las Vegas massacre of 2017 which alone accounts for almost 40% of all mass shooting injuries since 1999. The perpetrator of that shooting used over 20 assault rifles." Axios
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
So the AR-15 reared it's head during the Democratic Debate and Beto made even many Dems flinch with his "Hell yes we're coming after your AR-15's."

Here are some gun advocate arguments for preserving the right to own an AR-15:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/554822/

After reading that do you see what AR-15 advocates have in common with tRump? This:

bearister
US gunmaker Colt to stop making rifles including AR-15 for civilians
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/19/colt-gunmaker-halt-production-civilian-rifles-ar15?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

There are some interesting references to Samuel Colt in this fascinating history book:

going4roses
The price just went up and no doubt people will die before they give them up
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
BearNIt
bearister said:

US gunmaker Colt to stop making rifles including AR-15 for civilians
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/19/colt-gunmaker-halt-production-civilian-rifles-ar15?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The NRA tweets this morning: Beto, 2019 AR 15 salesman of the year. Colt then tweets the above tweet indicating that they are going stop making the AR 15 for civilians. Maybe the NRA could be less tone deaf or just stop being jackasses long enough to pull their heads out of their asses before the next mass shooting involving an assault rifle.
Another Bear
Colt dropping AR-15 sales to civilians is a big deal. Gunmakers are breaking from the NRA.

NRA might be done with all the crap they're going through. Hopefully they get their 501(c)3 pulled.
BearDevil
Apologies for being slightly off topic (on the off topic board), but seemed really weird to us that there were zero security checks (metal detectors, etc...) for entry into the Cal/Ole Miss football game. Some deranged Alabama fan poisoned the trees in Toomer's Corner in Auburn after an Alabama loss. Mississippi is an open carry state and they're about to begin selling alcohol in the stadium during games, so adding guns to the mix doesn't seem like a good idea.
BearNIt
Guns, alcohol, and rabid SEC fans, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.