American hero and GOAT Aaron Rodgers on COVID-19...

10,699 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearForce2
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...I love this guy. He has some common sense.

"Yeah that's a good question. Like many of us, and I've seen a lot of comments on this, and obviously my story coming back from Peru before the country kind of went into a lockdown, I think we all were buying into the idea of quarantine to flatten the curve.

"I think there are a lot of questions now that it's more of a house arrest to find a cure with people wondering what exactly that means as far as the future of the country and the freedoms we are allowed to have at this point."

https://sports.yahoo.com/aaron-rodgers-packers-coronavirus-isolation-house-arrest-nfl-225744324.html
bearister
I'd be interested in his opinions about brain surgery and quantum physics as well.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
hanky1
bearister said:

I'd be interested in his opinions about brain surgery and quantum physics as well.
Those are actual sciences that require an education to have an opinion.

You don't need an education to comment on matters of public policy.
bearister
I was taught in grammar school by nuns that you had to have knowledge of all the facts on a contested issue, both supporting and opposing, before you were entitled to have an opinion that was worth serious consideration.
hanky1
bearister said:

I was taught in grammar school by nuns that you had to have knowledge of all the facts on a contested issue, both supporting and opposing, before you were entitled to have an opinion that was worth serious consideration.
I agree. So that disqualifies Fauci from ever speaking about COVID. Good. I was getting sick of that guy.
bearister
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

I agree. So that disqualifies Fauci from ever speaking about COVID. Good. I was getting sick of that guy.

Yeah, something like that. AR has a conflict of interest. He just wants to play football. The NFL has a significant percentage of Black players. Most of the players that are on the line are by definition obese. Do you think if some of them get seriously ill or die because of contracting COVID 19 that Richard Sherman's allegation of White NFL owners having a "plantation mentality" towards the players may rear it's head again?
hanky1
bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

Yeah, something like that. AR has a conflict of interest. He just wants to play football. The NFL has a significant percentage of Black players. Most of the players that are on the line are by definition obese. Do you think if some of them get seriously ill or die because of contracting COVID 19 that Richard Sherman's allegation of White NFL owners having a "plantation mentality" towards the players may rear it's head again?
Fauci also has a conflict of interest. The more he screams lockdown, the more the media and some folks worship him like he's a hero without question or thought. I'm watching TV right now and there's a freakin tv commercial thanking Fauci from CBS. Lol. Propaganda man.

See? We all have self interest motive.
okaydo
hanky1 is the Matt Leinart of coronavirus information.
Cal Strong!
United States is currently giving too much weak preference towards individual freedoms. In time of crises, countries need to prioritize collective responsibility. America did this strongly in the world wars. The north did so during Civil War. But today Americans too weak and narcissistic to embrace collective responsibility. Americans need to do more squats and care for their neighbors more . . . and read less weak nonsense online.

Look at difference between a few US states with strong individualistic cultures, and two foreign countries -- one right wing and the other left wing -- that embrace collective responsibility:

Individualism:

California - 39 million people, 3,334 covid deaths.

Michigan - 10 million people, 5,017 covid deaths.

Massachusetts - 7 million people, 5,938 covid deaths.

Collective Responsibility:

Australia - 25 million people, 100 covid deaths.

New Zealand - 5 million people, 21 covid deaths.
Big C
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

Fauci also has a conflict of interest. The more he screams lockdown, the more the media and some folks worship him like he's a hero without question or thought. I'm watching TV right now and there's a freakin tv commercial thanking Fauci from CBS. Lol. Propaganda man.

Huge difference between "screaming lockdown" (he never did that) and warning that if we open up too fast and without proper caution, it might well trigger a second wave (it might well and people need to know that).

I basically agree with you on this issue, until you start saying stupid stuff about it. But hey, you entertained me enough to respond and that's what it's all about, I guess, right?
hanky1
Big C said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

Huge difference between "screaming lockdown" (he never did that) and warning that if we open up too fast and without proper caution, it might well trigger a second wave (it might well and people need to know that).

I basically agree with you on this issue, until you start saying stupid stuff about it. But hey, you entertained me enough to respond and that's what it's all about, I guess, right?
I'm just trying to prove a point...

...Aaron Rodgers is awesome.
hanky1
Look at this. All my whining and logic and facts...Gavin Newsome is finally listening to me.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-19/coronavirus-california-reopening-economy-whats-next
CalBarn
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

You might not agree with everything he says, but it is refreshing to hear someone who has studied
and researched and spent a lifetime learning talk about issues that he obviously knows
something about. That's what I loved about going to Cal back in the day when I was attending.
Quite different listening to our "leader" who constantly lies, contradicts himself weekly, embarrasses
himself with sophomoric misinformation, not to mention the juvenile attacks and smears he routinely passes out to anyone who doesn't worship at his feet. Oh wait, let's see, I should rest assured regarding his
judgment since he told us all he has great "hunches".....not to mention an uncle who was a renowned
professor. Not to worry. Except unfortunately he's the same guy who told us at the end of February
that we had 15 coronavirus cases in the US and they would soon go away because he had done such a good job of containing it. Now that we've had over a million and a half cases and are approaching 100,000
deaths in this country, I'm beginning to think we just can't trust this guy's hunches anymore.
Not that we ever could.
GivemTheAxe
hanky1 said:

"Yeah that's a good question. Like many of us, and I've seen a lot of comments on this, and obviously my story coming back from Peru before the countryfreedo kind of went into a lockdown, I think we all were buying into the idea of quarantine to flatten the curve.

"I think there are a lot of questions now that it's more of a house arrest to find a cure with people wondering what exactly that means as far as the future of the country and the freedoms we are allowed to have at this point."

https://sports.yahoo.com/aaron-rodgers-packers-coronavirus-isolation-house-arrest-nfl-225744324.html

I really like AR for what he has done for the prominence of Cal football.
However his view of the "future of this country and
the Freedoms we are allowed to have" might be understood to mean: "my job and the upcoming football season which might be my last with Green Bay".
txwharfrat
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

And you certainly don't need a degree to comment on matters of public health. One of the greatest oxymorons of all time is "public health expert". If you were an expert at anything you wouldn't have obtained a degree in public health.
CALiforniALUM
bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

Whoa there brotha. Slow your roll and take knee. Just don't take it during the National Anthem, ok? You read me boy?

OdontoBear66
hanky1 said:

Look at this. All my whining and logic and facts...Gavin Newsome is finally listening to me.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-19/coronavirus-california-reopening-economy-whats-next
Gavin Newsome is up and down. I was very impressed with him initially, then he punitively shut down OC beaches after they disobeyed his edicts. 1100 miles of California shoreline and he shuts down one county with about 10% of that. Science, no. Power, yes. Pictures did show infractions of spacing by some(as you will always get), but the pics he and the media used were taken at ground level giving the impression of crowding greater than happened. Lifeguards and enforcers did not agree with what he saw, but the OC disobeyed the big guy. Other than that he is doing pretty well.
SmellinRoses
"Pictures did show infractions of spacing by some"

How would one even know this - could have been people from same household? Yes, correct ...Newsom just threw a power hungry temper tantrum that had nothing to do with his beloved "science."

Newsom is overrated by media regardless of how many 'robusts" and 'transformationals" he gives us.
hanky1
okaydo said:

Leinart is one of the greatest collegiate QBs of all time. Even better than Rodgers.

Thanks okaydo. I had no idea you held me on such high regard.
bearister
The Raiders had two U$C Heisman Trophy winning QB's on the team at the same time....and they both sucked. Carson Palmer's standard game for Raiders: 400 yards; 3 TD; and a INT pick 6 in the last minute of the game to secure the L.
bearister
CALiforniALUM said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

Whoa there brotha. Slow your roll and take knee. Just don't take it during the National Anthem, ok? You read me boy?

Had to be Jerry Jones said that.
okaydo
hanky1 said:

okaydo said:

Leinart is one of the greatest collegiate QBs of all time. Even better than Rodgers.

Thanks okaydo. I had no idea you held me on such high regard.

Yes, I hold you in high regard.

BearGoggles
CalBarn said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

You might not agree with everything he says, but it is refreshing to hear someone who has studied
and researched and spent a lifetime learning talk about issues that he obviously knows
something about. That's what I loved about going to Cal back in the day when I was attending.
Quite different listening to our "leader" who constantly lies, contradicts himself weekly, embarrasses
himself with sophomoric misinformation, not to mention the juvenile attacks and smears he routinely passes out to anyone who doesn't worship at his feet. Oh wait, let's see, I should rest assured regarding his
judgment since he told us all he has great "hunches".....not to mention an uncle who was a renowned
professor. Not to worry. Except unfortunately he's the same guy who told us at the end of February
that we had 15 coronavirus cases in the US and they would soon go away because he had done such a good job of containing it. Now that we've had over a million and a half cases and are approaching 100,000
deaths in this country, I'm beginning to think we just can't trust this guy's hunches anymore.
Not that we ever could.
Fauci is a public health/disease control expert. By his own admission, he's not an expert on economics and doesn't really consider economics in his recommendations.

As I said at the outset of this, if you put a sick patient in front of a doctor like Fauci, they want to save the patient, regardless of the cost. And for doctors, that is a good thing - the type of doctor I would want to see.

The problem is that in formulating public policy, you have to consider both health impacts as well as cost/economics. Putting aside the fact that much of his early advice/predictions was incorrect, Fauci's advice isn't gospel; its just a part of the total picture.
bearister
" The problem is that in formulating public policy, you have to consider both health impacts as well as cost/economics. "

I actually could not agree more with that but unfortunately in the United States we have an incompetent leader surrounded by sycophant F Troopers that are not up to the task of either figuring out the formulation or enacting it properly.
okaydo
BearGoggles said:

CalBarn said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

Not that we ever could.
Fauci is a public health/disease control expert. By his own admission, he's not an expert on economics and doesn't really consider economics in his recommendations.

As I said at the outset of this, if you put a sick patient in front of a doctor like Fauci, they want to save the patient, regardless of the cost. And for doctors, that is a good thing - the type of doctor I would want to see.

The problem is that in formulating public policy, you have to consider both health impacts as well as cost/economics. Putting aside the fact that much of his early advice/predictions was incorrect, Fauci's advice isn't gospel; its just a part of the total picture.

Also, Fauci may seem independent, but he still works for the Trump administration. Fauci wasn't a household name before mid-March. His "wrong" advice could be him, or the Trump administration steering him the wrong way or making sure that it gets a certain message across.

Again, the fact that Fauci wasn't a household name until 2 months ago when the coronavirus has been in the U.S. for 4 months says a lot.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

hanky1 said:

"Yeah that's a good question. Like many of us, and I've seen a lot of comments on this, and obviously my story coming back from Peru before the countryfreedo kind of went into a lockdown, I think we all were buying into the idea of quarantine to flatten the curve.

I really like AR for what he has done for the prominence of Cal football.
However his view of the "future of this country and
the Freedoms we are allowed to have" might be understood to mean: "my job and the upcoming football season which might be my last with Green Bay".

"Freedoms we are allowed to have" is really an oxymoron.

The key is caring about others and using our freedom responsibly. Wearing a mask and sheltering in place for the good of the country should have been seen as being patriotic. Instead, selfishness, threatening others and spreading disease to your fellow citizens so America leads the world in cases and deaths is somehow seen as "patriotism." Smh
OdontoBear66
BearGoggles said:

CalBarn said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

Not that we ever could.

And even Dr. Fauci can get things wrong. January 24 "Covid 19 isn't something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about, because we have ways of preparing and screening of. It's a very, very low risk to the United States, but it's something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously."

Well the last sentence is and was sure true. Guess we must take care where we throw spears of blame.
sycasey
Oh, so NOW hanky1 thinks Aaron Rodgers is great.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/95129/replies/1742487
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/89789/replies/1638092
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/85252/replies/1551907
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/72132/replies/1320795
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/70172/replies/1270558

I wonder what happened?
bearister
sycasey said:

Oh, so NOW hanky1 thinks Aaron Rodgers is great.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/95129/replies/1742487
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/89789/replies/1638092
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/85252/replies/1551907
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/72132/replies/1320795
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/70172/replies/1270558

I wonder what happened?

hanky1 and I are polar opposites when it comes to AR: I highly respect AR as a football player; hanky1 disrespects him as a football player.
AR's socioeconomic/political takes on issues have no persuasive effect on me; when it comes to his socioeconomic/political takes, hanky1 thinks AR is think tank fellow material and it makes him leaky.
GivemTheAxe
BearGoggles said:

CalBarn said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

Not that we ever could.

Fauci's comment are not that different from the comments made by the head of the Fed on 60 Minutes on Sunday.
He is a Trump appointee and in a Senior financial position
GivemTheAxe
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

No but you can get a graduate degree in public policy which would give your conclusions much more credibility. FYI on the Cal Campus we have the number one graduate school in public policy in the United States: the Goldman School of Public Policy.
GivemTheAxe
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

I think you misunderstand the meaning of "conflict of interest". The conflict of interest problem arises when BEFORE a person addresses a particular issue, that person has an interest in the result or conclusion coming out a certain way so as as to cast doubt on the impartiality of the process.

The fact that Fauci has become famous as a result of his conclusion does not cast doubt on the impartiality of his decisions. He could just hace easily become famous coming to the contrary conclusion. In fact Trump would clearly have made him more famous if he had.
BancroftBear93
GivemTheAxe said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

I think you misunderstand the meaning of "conflict of interest". The conflict of interest problem arises when BEFORE a person addresses a particular issue, that person has an interest in the result or conclusion coming out a certain way so as as to cast doubt on the impartiality of the process.

The fact that Fauci has become famous as a result of his conclusion does not cast doubt on the impartiality of his decisions. He could just hace easily become famous coming to the contrary conclusion. In fact Trump would clearly have made him more famous if he had.
Yeah, sure thing, buddy. Fauci, whose lifelong professional existence is predicated on the threat of pandemics, has no incentive to hype the threat of a pandemic. It's like asking Mr. Hammer "hey, does this look like a nail?" and expecting him to say, "Nah, nothing for me to do here." lol The mental gymnastics that some people perform to avoid acknowledging the obvious is a sight to behold.
LunchTime
bearister said:

Advocating voter suppression on this board is an interesting choice.
GivemTheAxe
BancroftBear93 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

Yeah, sure thing, buddy. Fauci, whose lifelong professional existence is predicated on the threat of pandemics, has no incentive to hype the threat of a pandemic. It's like asking Mr. Hammer "hey, does this look like a nail?" and expecting him to say, "Nah, nothing for me to do here." lol The mental gymnastics that some people perform to avoid acknowledging the obvious is a sight to behold.

Your comments give us greater insight into the workings of your mind than into the workings of Dr. Fauci's mind. Most people Who are firefights become fire fighters because they would like to stop or reduce the damage done by fires.
Your attitude would lead to the conclusion that most firefighters would love to see more and greater fires so that they would become more famous and more important.
Further, in view of all the pandemics that have occurred worldwide and nationwide over the past 30 years and are projected to occur over the next 30 years, Fauci would be in demand even if the current pandemic had been snuffed out quickly.

And Had he done so, he would have gotten even more praise And notoriety from the Trump administration who would have seen him as a savior.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.