Is Aaron Rodgers washed up?

19,906 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's now been a full 16 game slate since Rodgers has played well. He just doesn't look good anymore. Definitely can't say he's the top QB in the League right now. No way top 5. Probably not even top 10. Perhaps top 15. Maybe. Forget his performance 2, 3, or 4 years ago. Look at him in recent games. He's aweful. Last year the excuse was WR. This year it is Oline. Truth is he is in decline. Some guys fall off later than others in their careers. Rodgers just happened to fall off much earlier and much more rapidly than most.
going4roses
Lol are you serious
GMP
hanky1;842733083 said:

It's now been a full 16 game slate since Rodgers has played well. He just doesn't look good anymore. Definitely can't say he's the top QB in the League right now. No way top 5. Probably not even top 10. Perhaps top 15. Maybe. Forget his performance 2, 3, or 4 years ago. Look at him in recent games. He's aweful. Last year the excuse was WR. This year it is Oline. Truth is he is in decline. Some guys fall off later than others in their careers. Rodgers just happened to fall off much earlier and much more rapidly than most.

The Ringer had an article on it this week. Basic conclusion was all the tools are still there, but his WR corps is not nearly as good/deep as a few years ago, even moreso with Jordy hurt all last year and not yet 100% this year. Also, Aaron has gotten more and more gunslinger and they demonstrate some bad throws where he rushed when he had time to set his feet and make a good throw.
conservativebear

3,821 yards
31 TD
8 INT
60.7 Completion Pct

Absolutely awful!!!! :sarc:

Would love for you to name 10 quarterbacks in the NFL you think are better.
hanky1
conservativebear;842733090 said:

3,821 yards
31 TD
8 INT
60.7 Completion Pct

Absolutely awful!!!! :sarc:

Would love for you to name 10 quarterbacks in the NFL you think are better.

60.7% completion isn't really that good.

Also he averaged a paltry 6.7 yards per attempt. This is aweful dink and dunk stuff. If you remove his performance in the 1st half of the year it's even worse. He started sucking around the mid way point last year.
Calcoholic
No
Papitobear
Relax

stanfurdbites
hanky1;842733092 said:

60.7% completion isn't really that good.

Also he averaged a paltry 6.7 yards per attempt. This is aweful dink and dunk stuff. If you remove his performance in the 1st half of the year it's even worse. He started sucking around the mid way point last year.

Answer the question negabear
FloriDreaming
hanky1;842733083 said:

Funny stuff. Yah, I'm sure the Packers can't wait to trade him in the offseason...
hanky1
Ok. Off the top of my head:
Cam Newton
Brady
Rothlesberger
Brees
R wilson
Carson Palmer
Luck
Ryan
Dalton

That's 9 off top of my head. Look at the numbers the past 16 games. I don't care what Rodgers did 3 years ago. If you really look at the numbers I'm sure you'll find another 3-4 who are superior and that's not even including young risers like Marrriota and Jameis Winston.

Sorry for typos. I'm on iPhone.
AXLBear
hanky1;842733083 said:

I think the girl is bad for him. His play has dropped and she's behind the rift with his family
FrankBear21
Yeah he's washed up. They should trade him to the niners for a first rounder.
Go!Bears
So, it'll be alright that he keeps saying: Butte College...
Bear8
Definitely worse than Brady who has scored..........oh, wait.
TheSouseFamily
I heard about this guy on The Bachelor. I guess he plays football?
okaydo
AXLBear;842733121 said:

I think the girl is bad for him. His play has dropped and she's behind the rift with his family

If Olivia Munn is to blame for Rodgers' recent struggles, then she deserves credit for his 2014 MVP year, one of his best-ever seasons.

Exactly four years ago, the Packers faced the NFC South, as they are doing this year. Rodgers and his Packers were a disaster, as they got off to a 2-3 start, including a loss to rookie Andrew Luck in Indianapolis. Then he threw 6 TDs vs. J.J. Watt and the Texans on Sunday Night Football. The Packers are usually slow to start the season.

Personally, I think it has nothing to do with Munn. I think it has something to do with changing to a vegan-ish diet...

AXLBear
okaydo;842733179 said:

If Olivia Munn is to blame for Rodgers' recent struggles, then she deserves credit for his 2014 MVP year, one of his best-ever seasons.

Exactly four years ago, the Packers faced the NFC South, as they are doing this year. Rodgers and his Packers were a disaster, as they got off to a 2-3 start, including a loss to rookie Andrew Luck in Indianapolis. Then he threw 6 TDs vs. J.J. Watt and the Texans on Sunday Night Football. The Packers are usually slow to start the season.

Personally, I think it has nothing to do with Munn. I think it has something to do with changing to a vegan-ish diet...

I bet she's behind this too
concernedparent
hanky1;842733119 said:

Cam Newton
Brady
Rothlesberger
Brees
R wilson
Carson Palmer
Luck
Ryan
Dalton

That's 9 off top of my head. Look at the numbers the past 16 games. I don't care what Rodgers did 3 years ago. If you really look at the numbers I'm sure you'll find another 3-4 who are superior and that's not even including young risers like Marrriota and Jameis Winston.

Matt Ryan of 21-16 TD/INT last year? How about Roethlisberger's 21-16? Andrew Luck 15-12 in 7 games throwing 55%? Palmer has had two seasons that are unarguably better than Rodgers, last year, and 10 seasons ago. Brady and Brees have had numerous seasons in their prime that were only as good (or worse) as Rodger's last year, but were you calling them washed up then? Winston and Mariota not even on the same planet.
okaydo
AXLBear;842733198 said:

I bet she's behind this too

As mentioned in the article, Rodgers is trying to emulate what Tom Brady has done to prolong his career. Rodgers wants to play until he's 40, too.
CaliforniaGoldenBear
Uthaithani;842733106 said:

Funny stuff. Yah, I'm sure the Packers can't wait to trade him in the offseason...

Yeah - maybe he can finally play for the 9ers, straight up trade for Kap. Washed up for washed up.
okaydo
going4roses
AXLBear;842733121 said:

True
okaydo
going4roses;842733223 said:

True

Ciara is to blame for the Seahawks' woeful offense.
tydog
okaydo;842733219 said:

Hanky's a little obsessed. He should know by now not to spend his first round pick in his fantasy draft on Rodgers.
MoragaBear
Staff
tydog;842733241 said:

Hanky's a little obsessed. He should know by now not to spend his first round pick in his fantasy draft on Rodgers.

Ha got that right. As soon as I saw the thread title, I immediately knew who started it.
bearister
He is getting too much and being sapped of his vital juices and essence.

[video][/video]
going4roses
okaydo;842733232 said:

Ciara is to blame for the Seahawks' woeful offense.

Yes
going4roses
MoragaBear;842733246 said:

Ha got that right. As soon as I saw the thread title, I immediately knew who started it.

Lol ok who's responsible?
okaydo
bearister;842733247 said:

He is getting too much and being sapped of his vital juices and essence.

okaydo
Rodgers after seeing this thread.

Unit2Sucks
Interesting, so you think hanky1 is starting to lose effectiveness? He hasn't had a good troll thread in over a year, is hanky1 all washed up?

MoragaBear;842733246 said:

vanity
hanky1;842733083 said:

It is a provocative question, but I don't believe he is in the sort of decline you suggest. Certainly there has been some degree of physical decline, but his experience should have him at or near his peak. Overall, I believe it is a combination of numerous factors, including lax fundamentals (AR has touched upon this lately, I am not going to rehash, it has already been discussed online, check the Ringer article referenced in this thread as just one example), a lesser team around him, a diminished emphasis on offensive players, and injuries.

Consider this: the top 7 players on the packers in 2016 take up 52.1% of the salary cap. In 2011, when he was great, it was 41.1%. There was more money for the team around him. He had superior skill position players back then -- the offense around him now sort of sucks. It isn't terrible, but AR is at his best when he has guys who make plays down the field, but that hasn't been the case in awhile now. Add one 40-50 yard throw per game to his numbers, things suddenly stack up much differently in terms of his stats.

The Packers' positional emphasis has also changed. In 2011, 6 of the top 9 highest paid players were on offense. The 2016 Packers have gone the other way and stocked up on defense, with 4 of their top 9 players playing on offense, with one of those -- Jordy Nelson -- still not up to the level he was when signed. Further, in 2015 the offensive line really struggled to stay healthy, which led to less time to make decisions, more hits, and likely contributing to the decline in his fundamentals.

I understand these changes may appear slight, but the NFL's parity means small losses around the edges can have large effects. There simply isn't the margin for error there was when the salary cap was spread more equally. There has been a slow change in the quality and type of personnel surrounding AR, and his results have seen a similar decline. There is more reliance on street FAs, more reliance on practice squad players, more reliance on young players period, as there is less money to go around on the Packers. These factors, along with several more speculative I am too lazy to hash out in enough detail to decide how much weight I'd assign them (ex. McCarthy's offense becoming too predictable/easy to defend, whether that offense has changed to feature short passing to the exclusion of a vertical downfield attack, stuff like that, obviously huge questions that require a great deal of research before coming to a reasoned conclusion), adequately explain the decline in performance beyond it being exclusively an atrophy in ability. I believe AR remains capable of roughly replicating his MVP performance from the past, but the surrounding conditions make that unlikely I think. I mean, just look at the talent around him. When he was the best QB on the planet, sure his receivers had big numbers. And they are solid receivers. But they aren't #1 receivers. Right now, they probably have a two and a couple 3's. Maybe Nelson will get it back, but right now, there is no GB receiver you feel uncomfortable putting on an island with an above avg CB. Neither the OL nor the RBs are going to pound the opposing front 7 into submission so as to force the safeties and LBs to respect the run. Just no playmakers the last couple years other than AR.
kaplanfx
okaydo;842733262 said:

Ok I get Phelps and the two gymnasts, but who/what's up with the girl dressed as Sia?

-kap
stanfurdbites
hanky1;842733119 said:

Cam Newton
Brady
Rothlesberger
Brees
R wilson
Carson Palmer
Luck
Ryan
Dalton

Give me whatever you're smoking cause you're utterly nuts
okaydo
kaplanfx;842733316 said:

Ok I get Phelps and the two gymnasts, but who/what's up with the girl dressed as Sia?

-kap

She's being blamed on this thread for Rodgers' poor performance.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.