Capitalism at its finest...

3,912 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LMK5
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

What say you going4roses? Still doing business with Amazon or are you willing to walk the walk?
This is called the principle of universal complicity. In a modern world it is impossible to live without interacting with or purchasing from entities that have practices you don't like. So if you speak out against anything, the fact that you don't live like Thoreau gets thrown in your face as hypocrisy by those who don't care about what is important to you.
Total BS. Let's call it what it is: fluid principles. It's the easiest protest in the world to buy from someplace else rather than Amazon and you know it. If someone really didn't like the practices of Amazon and Jeff Bezos, it should give them a bad taste in their mouth--an avoidable one--every time they paid them.

The bottom line, played out over and over again, is that people love to protest, but they will only act on their principles up to the point of inconvenience. It's faux outrage.
Your outrage over other's faux outrage is faux outrage. You are missing the point. It is easy to buy from someone other than Amazon. It is not easy to buy from someone who is necessarily "worse" than Amazon.

Personally, I don't see Amazon as a bigger net offender in the world than most. They are just a larger company. In fact, it is really hard to determine their net harm vs. the alternative. Their fulfillment capabilities often allow me to purchase from smaller suppliers with more better practices than the handful of stores I could purchase from pre-Amazon. It also allows me to find a wider variety of products and more creative products than I ever could before because small, innovative businesses can make a living nationally where they could not in a brick and mortar store. It frees up real estate for other purposes. There are a lot of positives to Amazon. There are also things that they should do better. Saying they should do better and shopping there doesn't make my concerns faux.

When people who do nothing express faux outrage at other's faux outrage because the other decides to be better but not perfect, that is just an excuse to make yourself feel better about doing nothing and to shut people up. If for instance, I were concerned about my diet's impact on the environment and I chose to eliminate meat and dairy because they are much less efficiently produced food, but I said, you know what? I really like chocolate chip cookies. That requires butter. I'm significantly reducing my impact, but I'm allowing myself the butter for chocolate chip cookies. That does not make my concern faux.
BearlyCareAnymore
AunBear89 said:

I avoid Amazon whenever possible. Like WalMart before it, Amazon is responsible for the death of countless mom and pop operations and rural American downtown shopping areas.

The only thing Amazon gets from me is a monthly Amazon Prime sub, and I rationalize it as supporting creativity and content that I like.
I'm not here to defend Amazon, but I would say a couple of things. 1. I've lived in two places in my life where everyone tried to artificially keep alive stagnating downtown areas. It was dreary. Once they stopped, the downtown areas became vibrant with new businesses that offered what national stores did not. Restaurants, clubs, specialty stores, etc.

2. Much of Amazon's business is straight fulfillment and their fulfillment makes it possible for small mom and pop businesses to survive online. They also make it possible for green businesses, creative companies, innovative small businesses that cannot generate the volume in a brick and mortar store to thrive reaching niche markets on a national level. I'd suggest you think about not eliminating "shopping on Amazon" but select businesses that you would be happy to shop at if they were on your corner. Amazon is not making this available for the good of the world. They are making it available for the good of Amazon. But that doesn't mean it isn't better than other options.
AunBear89
Fair points.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
LMK5
OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

What say you going4roses? Still doing business with Amazon or are you willing to walk the walk?
This is called the principle of universal complicity. In a modern world it is impossible to live without interacting with or purchasing from entities that have practices you don't like. So if you speak out against anything, the fact that you don't live like Thoreau gets thrown in your face as hypocrisy by those who don't care about what is important to you.
Total BS. Let's call it what it is: fluid principles. It's the easiest protest in the world to buy from someplace else rather than Amazon and you know it. If someone really didn't like the practices of Amazon and Jeff Bezos, it should give them a bad taste in their mouth--an avoidable one--every time they paid them.

The bottom line, played out over and over again, is that people love to protest, but they will only act on their principles up to the point of inconvenience. It's faux outrage.
Your outrage over other's faux outrage is faux outrage. You are missing the point. It is easy to buy from someone other than Amazon. It is not easy to buy from someone who is necessarily "worse" than Amazon.

Personally, I don't see Amazon as a bigger net offender in the world than most. They are just a larger company. In fact, it is really hard to determine their net harm vs. the alternative. Their fulfillment capabilities often allow me to purchase from smaller suppliers with more better practices than the handful of stores I could purchase from pre-Amazon. It also allows me to find a wider variety of products and more creative products than I ever could before because small, innovative businesses can make a living nationally where they could not in a brick and mortar store. It frees up real estate for other purposes. There are a lot of positives to Amazon. There are also things that they should do better. Saying they should do better and shopping there doesn't make my concerns faux.

When people who do nothing express faux outrage at other's faux outrage because the other decides to be better but not perfect, that is just an excuse to make yourself feel better about doing nothing and to shut people up. If for instance, I were concerned about my diet's impact on the environment and I chose to eliminate meat and dairy because they are much less efficiently produced food, but I said, you know what? I really like chocolate chip cookies. That requires butter. I'm significantly reducing my impact, but I'm allowing myself the butter for chocolate chip cookies. That does not make my concern faux.
Saying they should do better is fine. We can all do better. But the vilification of Amazon and Jeff Bezos is way beyond "they can do better." He is often depicted as a greedy exploiter of the working man, and yes, for those that depict him that way, continuing to buy from Amazon is ... well ... you give it whatever name you want, but it's faux something.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.