cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,267,082 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
By golly, I am some what still confused........THE RISE.......really wanted our crack recruiting staff to get ROOKS.

Now why would he really want us to get ROOKS?
Shocky1
1947;842109620 said:

By golly, I am some what still confused........THE RISE.......really wanted our crack recruiting staff to get ROOKS.

Now why would he really want us to get ROOKS?

Hmmmmm............if the BIRD was really going to attend the University of California, why is he in Chicago, Illinois?.............hasn't our crack recruiting staff told BIRD and our other lads that the University of California is in Berkeley, California?

What is this DOG doing in my living room?...............oh, that is Hoover my beagle..............nice doggie, Hoover.............sit..................
Shocky1
""it's a tremendous honor to be here, competing with the top players in the country...it was disappointing that we didn't get to the state championship and win like thought we should have but overall we had a good year...we had 30 wins and me and my team played our hearts out"

who sez this yesterday?

1) the bird

2) someone who will seamlessly intergrate with the returning players and the incoming monster class

3) an articulate & well grounded elite student athlete that is respected by his teammates

4) alan crabbe or jason kidd

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1
good luck to ac, the bear's 2013 pac 12 mvp

:gobears:
Shocky1
justin cobbs in confirming his return to berkeley

good luck to jc, the bear's potential 2014 pac 12 mvp (that would be 4 out of the last 5 mvps)

with ac's departure, all american jabari bird will be a starter from day 1

Chapman_is_Gone
We don't have a "monster class"... How about letting this thread fade away?
Vineyardview
Allen Crabbe has declared - still expecting one more member of this year's squad to announce that he is leaving the team. There are scholarship openings on the team. What is Montgomery's strategy?

Will John Montgomery make another recruiting trip to Europe this spring/summer. Europe seems the most logical place to find the puzzle piece that Cal needs to compete for the top spot in the Pac 12.

Cal needs to find and sign another big man who can contribute and provide an alternative look to starters Solomon and Kravish. Cal needs to sign a big body that can defend, rebound and clog the middle. It would be even better if he had a developed back to the basket offensive set of skills.
antipattern
The idea that there's big men out there waiting for offers, which has come up on several threads now, is a fantasy. If there's some one out there who could contribute to a d1-level college team, and is eligible to do so, then he already has offers. There's no one hiding away in Europe or anywhere else. If they do pick up some one now to take Crabbe's spot it'll be a project, because that's the only thing that's out there. It certainly won't be some one with "developed back to the basket offensive skills". The only way to get last-minute help like that is the graduate-transfer route, a la Lyons or Kazemi. But Cal doesn't offer graduate degrees in farce, so that's not available to us.

I suppose there is the proverbial 1% chance that I'm wrong. But I'm not wrong.
"Will John Montgomery make another recruiting trip to Europe this spring/summer. Europe seems the most logical place to find the puzzle piece that Cal needs to compete for the top spot in the Pac 12."

Golly, if he did..............................what would you really expect from him in the way of recruiting?

....please.............
Shocky1
Chapman_is_Gone;842109891 said:

We don't have a "monster class"... How about letting this thread fade away?

chapman, to be honest with you, spending time capriciously following college sports is probably not a good utilization of your time

you're the guy who once posted he could not afford $9 a month for a bear insider subscription...imagine that, you are probably the one cal grad (you are a cal grad, right?) who makes minimum wage

you should continue to focus upon chosen lifepath as a male hookah in the tenderloin district & paying bills...i'll bet you meet some real "monsters" in your line of work

go beers
Shocky1
relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb checked out roger moute a bidias this fall...he is a 6'6" 200 lb forward from notre dame hs in fitchburg mass...he's athletic and plays with aggression & passion like his older bro luc richard mbah a moute, former ucla enforcer & current nba baller...could reclassify to 2014 too
Chapman_is_Gone
Shocky1;842109911 said:

chapman, to be honest with you, spending time capriciously following college sports is probably not a good utilization of your time

you're the guy who once posted he could not afford $9 a month for a bear insider subscription...imagine that, you are probably the one cal grad (you are a cal grad, right?) who makes minimum wage

you should continue to focus upon chosen lifepath as a male hookah in the tenderloin district & paying bills...i'll bet you meet some real "monsters" in your line of work

go beers

Shocky, why should I subscribe when I can read your irrational exuberance for free? Worth every penny!!
Shocky1
Chapman_is_Gone;842109945 said:

Shocky, why should I subscribe when I can read your irrational exuberance for free? Worth every penny!!

hey chapman, glad we can finally agree on something
Shocky1
jabari bird, all american

2nd in the skills competition
9 pts (3-5 shooting with 1-1 3 pter & 2-2 fts) & 3 boards & 3 assists in 13 minutes @mcdonalds all american game in chicago, illinois

all star games are stoopid#
R90
Jabari comes in able to do more things than Allen Crabbe, especially in terms of ball handling. He may end up being better as a freshman than Crabbe was as a junior, and we'd be lucky to have him for more than a couple years.

Here's Jabari's page from a worthless bleacher report piece evaluating all of the McDonalds All-Americans:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1590150-projecting-the-nba-future-of-every-prospect-at-2013-mcdonalds-all-american-game/page/3

It does link a nice highlight video I hadn't seen yet, though:
socaltownie
R90;842110059 said:

Jabari comes in able to do more things than Allen Crabbe, especially in terms of ball handling. He may end up being better as a freshman than Crabbe was as a junior, and we'd be lucky to have him for more than a couple years.

Here's Jabari's page from a worthless bleacher report piece evaluating all of the McDonalds All-Americans:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1590150-projecting-the-nba-future-of-every-prospect-at-2013-mcdonalds-all-american-game/page/3

It does link a nice highlight video I hadn't seen yet, though:

Nice skills but I sadly note that almost none of those highlights show him playing through contact. He will, I am sure, be a great Bear and a good addition but he will be spending plenty of time in the weight room to get the bulk he needs. Notice, for example, the way that AC filled out between year 1 and year 3.
RoseBowlThirsty
I really don't see how this is a "monster" class. Solid class with one elite talent? Absolutely. But monster? Umm....
sluggo_Cal
RoseBowlThirsty;842110161 said:

I really don't see how this is a "monster" class. Solid class with one elite talent? Absolutely. But monster? Umm....

When you compare it to the previous two disaster classes ...

Sluggo
SFBearz
RoseBowlThirsty;842110161 said:

It isn't. Kentucky has a monster class.
Shocky1
SFBearz;842110188 said:

It isn't. Kentucky has a monster class.

agreed that kentucky has a "monster" class of mostly stooopid dumb azz ballers (nerlens noel last year had a gpa of 2.1 in hs, would that get him accepted at cal?)

the bears "monster" class includes elite student athletes with the extremely solid gpa's that are necessary for success in the berkeley classrooms...my defintion of "monster" class includes not only atheltic talent but also focused intelligence

if sfbearz, etc. are too stooopid to fully comprehend the academic requirements of the university of california, berkelely, then maybe they should just follow the physically gifted collection of non-students in lexington in the future

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1
as i've hinted at for some time, kaileb rodriguez will be leaving the cal basketball program

this decision is not entirely basketball related

while kr is a good kid, he has not met all the high standards & expectations of the cal bb program

good luck to kaileb in the future
sluggo_Cal
Shocky1;842110263 said:

agreed that kentucky has a "monster" class of mostly stooopid dumb azz ballers (nerlens noel last year had a gpa of 2.1 in hs, would that get him accepted at cal?)

the bears "monster" class includes elite student athletes with the extremely solid gpa's that are necessary for success in the berkeley classrooms...my defintion of "monster" class includes not only atheltic talent but also focused intelligence

if sfbearz, etc. are too stooopid to fully comprehend the academic requirements of the university of california, berkelely, then maybe they should just follow the physically gifted collection of non-students in lexington in the future

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

This is really funny when paired with the post below about KR leaving not being totally related to basketball and that Cal recruited Kyle Wiltjer, Marcus Lee, Kentucky target Aaron Gordon, and surely would have recruited others who went or are going to Kentucky (like Karl Towns) if they would given Cal a sniff.

The view from the top is breathtaking.

Sluggo
Civil Bear
Shocky1;842110269 said:

as i've hinted at for some time, kaileb rodriguez will be leaving the cal basketball

What hints?
Shocky1
Civil Bear;842110284 said:

What hints?

on feb 7th-"rodriguez and frid (along with kreklow) did not make the trip which is newsworthy because walk on galvin suited up...neither rodriguez or frid is developing quick enough to have an impact next season..."

on march 25th-"will there be any player roster changes (plural) this season?"
"yes-most likely"
OldBlue1999
Jesus some of you people are pathetic. I honestly hope you're paid trolls because that's the only explanation that gives you any reprieve. Shocky keep fighting the good fight.

SFBearz
sluggo_Cal;842110276 said:

This is really funny when paired with the post below about KR leaving not being totally related to basketball and that Cal recruited Kyle Wiltjer, Marcus Lee, Kentucky target Aaron Gordon, and surely would have recruited others who went or are going to Kentucky (like Karl Towns) if they would given Cal a sniff.

The view from the top is breathtaking.

Sluggo

Yes, if Wiltjer and Lee go to Cal they are great "student athletes," but since they went to Kentucky they magically become academic rejects.
parentswerebears
Shocky1, I caught it. I also thought that I caught some hints about Johnson, too, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me...
smokeyrover
Shocky1;842107612 said:

thx for updating vv-spartans hc opening is off the table

decuire, prior to joining cal, spent 5 yrs as an asst coach at old dominion which is south of richmond (and my favorite golf course in virginia, kinloch...homestead cascades would be 2nd, stonehouse 3rd) in norfolk...odu's search is down to 5 candidates, not sure if td is among them...the norfolk/virginia beach area is literally the most humid place on planet earth during the summer

cal state earthquake (northridge) has narrowed the field to 5 candidates (td not on the list) including jordan matthew's dad phil who has plenty of recruiting connections in so cal from his jc, usf and most recently ucla jobs

cal state fullerton-candidates not known but apparently the new hc will receive an express line pass at dizzyland & a smog alert facemask

personally i think sandy (with monty's approval) should offer travis head coach in waiting status and gottlieb associate head coach in waiting status subject to certain parameters such as the bears being a top 25 team & still recruiting outstanding student athletes when the baton is ready to be handed off

the trouble with a lot of these mid level d1 jobs is that due to insufficient resources & facilities most of these new hcs are doomed for failure...of course the head coaches at vcu, butler, florida golf coast, etc. would disagree

coaching continuity matters#

DeCuire was also a finalist for the Old Dominion job.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/04/odu-hires-jeff-jones-next-mens-basketball-coach

Looks like the staff will all return, which is important for the work they've already put in on 2014 (DeCuire pulling in Ahmaad Rorie) and continue to focus on in the coming months.
Shocky1
what up, waldo?

after making the honor roll at barton cc (kansas) last fall, danish 7' sami eleraky is not enrolled for the spring at bcc

where's sami?

1) on the par 3 10th hole tee box at prairie dunes in hutch deciding between a 6 and 7 iron with the pin cut deep right

2) ziplining in maui with julian sensley discussing the vagaries of college bb recruiting & the best types of moving boxes

3) back in denmark checking out his european pro basketball options

4) hopefully returning to the usa this summer and enrolling at sfcc

waldo matters#
Shocky1
time is of the essence with respects to sami's recruitment

eleraky passed 12+ units this fall in making the barton cc honor roll (gpa over 3.5)

he's not earning any units right now back in denmark so he will ideally take full loads this summer, fall, next spring & summer and then graduate from sfcc with a 2 year degree (as stipulated by the ncaa) and then transfer to cal for the fall of 2014...at that time, he would compete for the open starting bigs position with solo's graduation & significant potential pt...in this scenario sami would have the opporutnity for 3 yrs playing with his bears teammates

justdoit#
concordtom

Shocky1
concordtom;842110737 said:

tom, that's not a very flattering picture of sfbearz behind waldo...
Shocky1
the cornerstone of the bears 2014 monster class will be 6' 170 lbs (needs to gain another 10-15 lbs of good muscle) amhaad rorie of tacoma's lincoln abes...rorie is an outstanding facilitator/distributor in addiiton to a deadly shooter with deep range...his hc aubrey shelton has told me that ar shot 45% from 3 pt this season...with fletch gone to colorado, expect ar to average 25-30 ppg next season in leading the abes to a state championship...rorie visited berkeley along with his mom for the stanford bb game and will return for an official visit this fall probably the insane energy ohio state fb game weekend which will likely serve as the key bb recruiting weekend...ar, like many of the bears recent recruits, has a terrific relationship with travis decuire who has an extensive background in the cold azz northwest...rorie has already reached out to all american jabari bird and made it clear he would like to follow in his footsteps and earn a spot next season as a mcdonalds all american...best of all, amhaad rocks a 3.8 gpa which makes him the smartest elite pg nationwide in the 2014 class

who else will hopefully join ar in berkeley as part of the 2014 class?

with where's waldo (sami) status not a sure thing, the bears will need to bring in at least 2-3 bigs among diallo, fitzner & welsh...amIII (trey) might be the wildcard

thomas welsh is a 7' reportedly 245 lbs (seems lighter to my eye) center from the loyola cubs...the strength of welsh's game is his d intensity and blue collar hustle for boarding & blocking shots (based on his high bb iq of positioning rather than a lofty vj)

the bears were the 1st team to offer welsh after cal's direct tv championsip in anaheim with monty jr (johnny) offering tw in person after loyola's blowout of palos verdes...tw broke his wrist during the summer of 2012 so this summer will be an opportunity to expand his game while playing with the la rockfish

thomas is one smart baller with a 3.8 gpa including honors algebra 2 and advanced placement environmental science at loyola...should be emphasized that loyola is one of the finest academic preparatory schools on the west coast and do not be surprised if the bears fb 2013 true freshman to receive the most playing time for sonny & co isn't cubs cb cameron walker (and his 3.5 gpa & maturity beyond years)

tw has said about cal that "it's definitely a great school...it's great both athletically and academically...there's a lot to love about it"

right now, tw is speaking with relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb 2-3 times a week with cal and colorado recruiting him the hardest...his offer list includes both usc & asu...welsh has also noted the significant improvement of both solo and doc kravish this season under monty's tutelage

among tw's teammates are bears potential 2015 guard target max hazzard and tw's little bro henry (6'8", 2016)...max describes cal as "a dream school"

go cubs

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
concordtom
WELSH

DIALLO

FITZNER

MOURNING

Shocky1
tom, thx for posting the pictures of the 4 cal bigs recruiting targets + waldo (sami)...need to sign 2 & hopefully 3 of these monsters

evan fitzner 6'10" 210 lbs from francis parker is arguably the most ball skilled big man on the west coast...his highlight video of him smoothly draining 3 pters & beating guys with behind the back dribble drive moves is absolutely breathtaking...in my mind, ef offers monty & co potential ryan anderson jr production with proper player development

ef is an extremely articulate student athlete with a 3.0+ gpa at parker which is a well regarded college preparatory independent day school in san diego...the lancers are not known for their athletic programs

fiztner is from a very athletic & tight del mar family

dad mark is 6'8" and was sd player of the year in 1974 & later played at stanford

mom cheri is 6'1" and one of 4 sisters to receive college schollys as vb setters & played for the rainbows on the islands

older bro bryce is 6'8" 240 lbs (clear indication that ef can add more good weight) sr at parker and plays both bb & fb

little sister emily aspires to play competitive vb like her mom

relentless gregg gottlieb offered evan in person on dec 19th following ef's 28 pt shooting spree vs mission bay...both gg & decuire have been recruiting ef since his freshman yr

what's ef looking for in a college?

"the high school i go to is known for being one of the tougher academic schools in the state of california...it's a big part of where i want to go to college"

ef visited cal last summer with his dad and td showed him around..."it was a beautiful campus...looked at the view of the whole city from in the hills...everything is really centralized, the weight room is in the same building as the basketball court, where they get food, study hall, locker room...everything is right there...it's a pretty cool layout"

currently fitzner is hearing most from cal, colorado, new mexico (under alford), usc, asu & oregon state

ef is working on gaining more muscle and will be playing for the double pump aau team in la this summer

re cal, "i was paying a lot of attention...i watched almost every one of their games this season and it was really exciting to see how successful they were...the post play was impressive (from an improvement perspective) and that's definitely what i was looking at but the team coming together as a whole, they had a really good year"

First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.