cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,267,072 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
idrissa diallo 6'10" 220 lbs reminds me of devon hardin at the same stage in his career when he left newark memorial for cal & eventually developed into the 50th overall nba draft pick of the seattle supersonics

idrissa is well spoken student athlete orginally from sengegal now attending hs in la with a 3.33 gpa

id is 5 star athletic talent, the most physcially gifted big man on the west coast for 2014, but with limited experience...he runs the floor well, blocks shots 2 feet above the rim, does not shy away from inside banging and is just starting to learn offensive skills

idrissa is a warm weather guy and this will likely be a cal, ucla & usc recruiting battle...all 3 schools have offered with the bears sending their entire coaching staff to so cal to visit with diallo, an effective implmentation of the most trendy recruiting technique, flash mob coaching visits

with the offensive power from the 2013 monster class, id would complement future bears scorers with his enforcer in the paint mindset

check out his video & the picture above...recruiting analyst josh gershon has told me that he does not think diallo "has a lot of upside" and that he has "bad feet"...i think josh is sleeping big time on a dominating elite physical d presence like idrissa and it will be interesting to see if his upside assessment is accurate over time

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1
who is the original member of the bears monster class?

the quest started with t-wall with monty & co outrecruiting colorado for the bear's most infectiously enthusiastic teammate, a guy who plays the game because it is fun & d like a feral animal...i remember sitting behind the bench at the asu game watching our freshman guard try to cheer up/petting the top of his head a disconsolate pac 12 mvp

why didn't the bears monster class start earlier?

as i have said numerous time, mistakes were made in both the organizational structure of the cal bb program and also prospective player evaluations...both of these issues have been addressed

who comprises the 2013 monster class?

the deadly shooting law firm of bird, matthews, singer & k(rooks)

this class corrects the fatal shooting problems of the 2012 season that drove monty & co crazee

what would be an ideal 2014 monster class?

potential mcdonalds all american facilitator/distributor/scorer amhaad rorie with 2-3 of the following bigs: diallo, fitzner, welsh, eleraky and perhaps amIII...and maybe use an academic silver bullet for top 25 player malik pope

can the bears compete for a final four/national championship?

if the bears can land the #1 player in the 2015 class bod's ivan rabb along with the above referenced 2014 monster class, then monty & co will have all the players necessary for a ff/nc

the 2015 bears would then have 2 future lottery picks in bird & rabb along the other elite talent to bring a national championship trophy to berkeley

what's ivan rabb saying about the bears these days?

"i've been talking to all the cal coaches...i'm not sure if i want to stay close or go far but i've been going to their games for years so i'm sure it has some influence on what i do"

who is one of the bear's biggest diehard & longtime fans?

ivan rabb's grandfather

family matters#
represent the bay#
bears national championship in 2015#
smokeyrover
Shocky1;842111883 said:

as i have said numerous time, mistakes were made in both the organizational structure of the cal bb program and also prospective player evaluations...both of these issues have been addressed

I assume the structure improvements involve the staff changes prior to 11/12. Player evaluations mistakes have been addressed -- does this refer to KR specifically or a change in philosophy/strategy as to how to build the roster?

As for future recruiting, the Raab recruitment so far sounds kinda like the Brandon Ashley one. Can't get any sort of hopes up there, as much as we'd like to think that this time it will be different.

More optimistic for 2014.
calumnus
smokeyrover;842112338 said:

I assume the structure improvements involve the staff changes prior to 11/12. Player evaluations mistakes have been addressed -- does this refer to KR specifically or a change in philosophy/strategy as to how to build the roster?

As for future recruiting, the Raab recruitment so far sounds kinda like the Brandon Ashley one. Can't get any sort of hopes up there, as much as we'd like to think that this time it will be different.

More optimistic for 2014.

Mostly it was the elevation of Travis DeCuire to "Associate Head Coach" last July (2012) along with his name being associated with the recruitment of our top targets for the 2013 class. It also includes switching the roles of Jay John and John Montgomery, which allows the younger, more enthusiastic guy (with the head coach's last name) to get out and recruit. Finally, I think it also includes adding Theo Robertson to the staff, if only as a grad assistant. I think we have definitely upgraded the talent of the recruits we are targeting and landing.
R90
Interview talking about why he chose Cal:

Breaking down his play in the game:

He's going to be amazing.
Shocky1
r90-you are 100% correct...the bird will be attacking & soaring aerially with his teammates at haas next season...if you want to want to feel the roars 1st hand, get your season tixs now...gonna b special

calumnus has summarized the changes to the organziational structure of the cal bb program...from a prospective player evaluation standpoint, the bears are now (which has not always been the case under monty) relentlessly building relationships with younger players...in addition to ivan the terrible, the bears already have offers out to potential future mcdonalds all americans elijah thomas & bennie boatrwright and are actively scouting forwards cameron walker & chase jeter and guards cuashan allen, max hazzard & tyler dorsey from the 2015 class...no more waiting around until the last minute

smokey, recruiting mistakes were made with brandon ashley, a solid student athlete with a 3.1 gpa at bod, which resulted in the bears not being in his final 4 choices...like the marcus lee fiasco (cal does not have the cache like kentucky to be able to come in at the 12th hr and sell quality practice & bench time next to coach cal before ml transfers to unlv in 2 yrs) monty & co were not as quick (despite brandon and ml being local) or as intense in recruiting & building relationships with ashley & his family as sean miller who according to brandon's mom lashiem clark directly recruited her son and attended many of his games

so how is ivan rabb's bears recruitment different than brandon ashley's recruitment?

1) monty has been directly involved with ivan along with the rest of the staff...ivan has described monty as "that's my guy"
2) the bears have been involved with ashley since his fr yr at bod
3) jabari bird's bay area represents presence & cal's 2015 ff/nc potential
4) ir's grandfather
5) ivan has been attending cal games for yrs

quick shocky1 story: i caddied at san francisco golf club in hs and looped for a young finance whiz in his late 20s from sydney who told me about playing golf at royal melbourne, sunningdale in london, the national & shinnecock in the hamptons, etc...so that night i asked my parents (both cal grads, mom a pharmacist, dad a school teacher) if i could someday play the world's greatest golf courses too...my parents (both dreams enablers) unhesitatingly told me, in the true spirit of the university of california (berkelely), that i could do anything i set my mind 2

fast forward, if you would like to read about my becoming the 13th (and youngest) person to play the world's top 100 golf courses along with travel photos check out on the football message board for my thread "representing cal at augusta national"

reality means different things to different people...the worst thing you can do in life is to set self imposed limitations upon yourself and other people (particuarly your children or young people)

cal bb family matters#
represent the bay#
bears 2015 national championship#

the university of california, berkelely=#1 ranked public university in the world
mikecohen
"reality means different things to different people...the worst thing you can do in life is to set self imposed limitations upon yourself and other people (particuarly your children or young people)"

I second that emotion
BearyWhite
concordtom;842111029 said:

WELSH

aw crap, we're recruiting ryan appleby??
BearyWhite
Shocky1;842113000 said:

3) jabari bird's bay area represents presence & cal's 2015 ff/nc potential

fwiw I sat next to Jabari's HS coach at the Cal/Syracuse game and asked whether Jabari had a preference about whether Crabbe etc stay or leave next year, and he said no because Jabari feels Cal in general is a program on the rise..
Shocky1
Shocky1;842109923 said:

relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb checked out roger moute a bidias this fall...he is a 6'6" 200 lb forward from notre dame hs in fitchburg mass...he's athletic and plays with aggression & passion like his older bro luc richard mbah a moute, former ucla enforcer & current nba baller...could reclassify to 2014 too

frequent flyer recruiting whiz gregg gottlieb (cal's mel kiper or josh pastner...without the goofy looking hair) is actively discussing with this 6'6"/7" high energy feral rebounder a 2013 scholly to join the current monster class of bird, matthews, singer & (k)rooks...a decision should be forthcoming during the next week or so

the bears need a hair on fire interior d presence that roger moute a bidias can provide to match up with the robersons of the pac 12...it is not his fault if roxy & the cal announcers can't say his name quickly

imo roger is a much better fit for the cal bb program than juan anderson (who after redshirting somewhere will only have 2 seasons) who shot a blindman's 33% fgs, 28% 3 pters & an alarming abysmal 56% fts last season at marquette...but who knows, maybe juan just needs new glasses...
seattlebear02
Youtube video

Definitely is a late bloomer and raw given that he just started playing hoops a few years ago, but I like his athleticism and length. Also, decent touch on his shot. Looks like he has some "upside".
south bender
Speed of foot and hand, soft shot.

Hope we get him.

Go Bears!
tsubamoto2001
Shocky1;842114972 said:

frequent flyer recruiting whiz gregg gottlieb (cal's mel kiper or josh pastner...without the goofy looking hair) is actively discussing with this 6'6"/7" high energy feral rebounder a 2013 scholly to join the current monster class of bird, matthews, singer & (k)rooks...a decision should be forthcoming during the next week or so

the bears need a hair on fire interior d presence that roger moute a bidias can provide to match up with the robersons of the pac 12...it is not his fault if roxy & the cal announcers can't say his name quickly

imo roger is a much better fit for the cal bb program than juan anderson (who after redshirting somewhere will only have 2 seasons) who shot a blindman's 33% fgs, 28% 3 pters & an alarming abysmal 56% fts last season at marquette...but who knows, maybe juan just needs new glasses...

I'd also take Roger if we can get him for the reasons you stated. He seems to be a legit hybrid forward that we need.
concordtom
south bender;842114983 said:

Speed of foot and hand, soft shot.

Hope we get him.

Go Bears!

Liked the video, and the player, but he didn't look so quick off his feet to me.
Big C
tsubamoto2001;842114988 said:

I'd also take Roger if we can get him for the reasons you stated. He seems to be a legit hybrid forward that we need.

Totally agree that we need an active hybrid forward that can play inside and rebound via athleticism and ferocity. What does his bio say? Something to the effect that he's only been playing basketball since noon today? Sometimes a raw talent like that, if he's open to coaching, comes in w/o any bad habits already-developed and improves rapidly.

Plus, IMO, we need a native French speaker on the team!
Shocky1
7'3/4" monster in the paint k rooks is officially a golden bear per tmz...reports that he is dating one of the kardashians are unconfirmed

mr cranky pants on kr: "we are really excited that kameron has chosen to be a golden bear...he has an unlimited future...kameron is a tremendous competitor who will only improve as he matures and gets stronger...i am happy to have a rooks on my side for a change after some great battles with his dad (sean) thru the years"

kr on mr cranky pants: "he (my old man) told me (monty) is a good big man's coach...he knows how to teach big men the right stuff"

kr on kr: "i expect to play as hard as i can and become a dominant force inside...that doesn't have to be scoring, i'm going to try to get rebounds, anything to help the team"

kr also said he hopes to lose 10 lbs, gain strength, improve his jumping ability & "get in college shape"

kr on the kardashians: "i hope to room with several of them in berkeley this fall for my new reality show, keeping up with kameron" (ok, maybe not an actual quote)
sluggo_Cal
I love this guy. He is the right kind of project. Great athlete. Could improve a lot as he is new to basketball. One can't compare to previous projects who were athletically deficient.

Even if they could get him, they still need an immediate transfer at the 4 or 5.

Sluggo
Shocky1
sluggo_Cal;842115138 said:

I love this guy. He is the right kind of project. Great athlete. Could improve a lot as he is new to basketball. One can't compare to previous projects who were athletically deficient.

Even if they could get him, they still need an immediate transfer at the 4 or 5.

Sluggo

100% agreed re: roger...the bears are currently at 11 schollys with jeff "babe watch" powers likely to receive one for his sr yr which means roger can be signed with no necessary further roster shuffling

roger's trainer: "the crazy thing about roger is that he has only been playing basketball for about 3-4 years...maybe that's why he doesn't hardly have any bad habits...the thing that i love about roger the most is that he asks so many good questions...some players ask questions but not good questions...he asks about details, the specifics...roger is also one of the hardest working guys we've been around...with his still growing 6'7" frame and improving skill set, the sky is the limit"
south bender
Shocky1;842115144 said:

100% agreed re: roger...the bears are currently at 11 schollys with jeff "babe watch" powers likely to receive one for his sr yr which means roger can be signed with no necessary further roster shuffling

roger's trainer: "the crazy thing about roger is that he has only been playing basketball for about 3-4 years...maybe that's why he doesn't hardly have any bad habits...the thing that i love about roger the most is that he asks so many good questions...some players ask questions but not good questions...he asks about details, the specifics...roger is also one of the hardest working guys we've been around...with his still growing 6'7" frame and improving skill set, the sky is the limit"

Sounds so good!

Go Bears!
concordtom

[SIZE="3"]She's no Mrs. FGCU.[/SIZE]
Shocky1
concordtom;842115545 said:

reality (attractiveness) means different things to different people
GoBears58
concordtom;842115545 said:

Yuck
antipattern
Why did that woman get breast implants in her butt?
concordtom
antipattern;842115594 said:

Why did that woman get breast implants in her butt?

Because she didn't need any up top and had to balance it out?

You know, Shocky, KR is WAY too tall for KK. 5' 3" vs. 7' 3/4" just doesn't go together so well. That wouldn't even be fun.

Shocky1
tom, both tmz & the star are reporting that k kardashian dumped kris and will dump kanye for kameron

kount on it

go kal
Shocky1
dave telep on ar: "amhaad rorie has what i consider perfect pg demeanor...even keel, smart and competitive"

ar on ar: "next year i want to win state, get mr basketball and i want to play in the mcdonalds all american game"

indications are that ar has recently gained another 5 lbs of good core muscle as ar continues to dazzle this weekend in aau ball playing for the northwest (cold azz) panthers in dallas under the watchful eye of his lead recruiter travis
Shocky1
kr is losing excess lbs while ar is building good core strength lbs

work hard, die last#
concordtom
Shocky1;842116046 said:

dave telep on ar: "amhaad rorie has what i consider perfect pg demeanor...even keel, smart and competitive"

ar on ar: "next year i want to win state, get mr basketball and i want to play in the mcdonalds all american game"

indications are that ar has recently gained another 5 lbs of good core muscle as ar continues to dazzle this weekend in aau ball playing for the northwest (cold azz) panthers in dallas under the watchful eye of his lead recruiter travis

How the hell does a kid from seattle play for a team in Dallas?
Didn't LeBron play on the Oakland Soldiers with Powe? How the hell does that happen? Fly in for the weekend? Who's paying for that?
tsubamoto2001
concordtom;842116254 said:

How the hell does a kid from seattle play for a team in Dallas?
Didn't LeBron play on the Oakland Soldiers with Powe? How the hell does that happen? Fly in for the weekend? Who's paying for that?

The event he played in was in Dallas. Rorie plays for the Nothwest Panthers, based out of Tacoma, WA. They are an adidas sponsored team and the big Adidas event this weekend was in Dallas. The Nike EYBL had an event in Garden Grove, CA this weekend. Hopefully, this gets you somewhat up to speed on the AAU circuit.
Civil Bear
concordtom;842116254 said:

He had family in the Bay Area.
<<breath>>
OdontoBear66
Civil Bear;842116284 said:

He had family in the Bay Area.
<<breath>>

The Q remains, who paid for that when he was an amateur? Yeh.
bearchamp
AAU basketball is absolutely corrupt and nobody, not NCAA nor NBA wants to rock the boat. AAU is how the agents and schools buy players.
tsubamoto2001
bearchamp;842116336 said:

AAU basketball is absolutely corrupt and nobody, not NCAA nor NBA wants to rock the boat. AAU is how the agents and schools buy players.

Nobody wants to rock the boat because they (NCAA--the epitomy of corruption, and NBA) are making TONS of money off of the system themselves.
sluggo_Cal
tsubamoto2001;842116341 said:

Nobody wants to rock the boat because they (NCAA--the epitomy of corruption, and NBA) are making TONS of money off of the system themselves.

I disagree. The NCAA would love to change the system. They want total control so they can squeeze every last dollar out of "student-athletes" (see http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/308643/4/ for the origin of the term). But they are settling for 98 cents out of every dollar to not stir up legal trouble.

As to the original question, who other than a busy body would care what or by whom LBJ got compensated while in high school? Am I missing the total lack of a problem? Was he not poor enough to be entertaining?

Sluggo
Civil Bear
OdontoBear66;842116313 said:

The Q remains, who paid for that when he was an amateur? Yeh.

Yeh, his family couldn't have possibly flown him out for the summer.
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.