cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,289,262 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ahmaad played in his 1st game for the lincoln abes after his successful appeal for eligibility
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/01/22/3006620/star-guard-ahmaad-rorie-ruled.html

GRRAAH
Shocky1;842269136 said:

pat haden is a former hesiman trophy winning qb at sc who also had a successful tenure at a flourishing private equity firm & is currently the athletic director at usc

he is really, really smart (rhodes scholar) & really, really gullible

pat & i have had 4 interactions during the last couple of yrs

1) i was on the practice putting green at san francisco golf club (where i used to caddie during my hs & cal days, rick rhoads was the pro then too) at 8:00 am on the thursday morning of the usc/cal fb game at att park when mr rhoads told me the visiting usc golf team would be sending out 3 groups (college golfers play notoriously slow, they tend to read putts from 3-4 spots before putting & then mark their balls even if they are a foot from the hole) & asked if i would like to go off the 10th tee as a single player with my caddie (which means i could walk 18 holes in 2 & 1/2 hrs instead of almost 5 hrs)

i thanked mr rhoads & yelled at at my caddie pat "hey pat, we're gonna go off on 10, grab some tees and let's roll"

so the other player putting on the green walks toward me and starts pulling tees out of his pockets...i said to him "sorry about that, i was talking to pat my caddie, you're pat haden, right"...and we had a nice converation (i did not ask him if the cash payment envelopes that ex bb hc floyd used to pay oj mayo were athletic dept issued or from floyd's personal collection)

my caddie pat thought it was pretty great that a guest like me (a former caddie) would tell a guest to go get him some tees & when we finished our round the entire caddyshack high fived me

2) i was at a cal/usc game fb massacre at the coliseum in the high donor trojan section (al cowlings, oj's white bronco driver buddy & his drunk azz lady friend sat behind us) at midfield (they have hostesses bring you free food & drinks all game...they are very flirty but i behaved myself & did not ask for any lap dances)

so usc is up like 42-3 or something at halftime & an enthusiastic pat haden is making the rounds...when he gets to me he says "wow, this couldn't be going any better, could it?"

i told him "i don't know about that, maybe the bears could run the 2nd half kickoff back for a touchdown"

there's a flicker of recongition in his eyes as pat realizes i'm messing with him...he gives me a fake laugh & starts talking to the group next to me

3) pat haden is a member at lacc, the valley club of montecito & pine valley...i'm putting out on the 18th green of the north at los angeles country club with some buddies & i spot pat getting ready to tee off on the adjacent 1st tee

so i yell out "hey pat"...he looks over trying to figure out who i am, you can tell he has no idea who i am...so i yell again a little bit louder "hey pat" & start doing a couple of fist pumps while i yell his name

so haden finally yells back "hey, how's it going?" while fist pumping me back

i look him in the eyes & yell "go bears"

haden immediately stops fist pumping me back & his group all starts laughing...heard one of his guys saying "pat, i think you just got punked"

4) last nite i bought in front of galen a scalper tix from jeff capehart (who told me he was a former cal bb player in the 1980s) & then just sat in the 1st row behind the cal bench

there's a little walkway between the 1st row & the cal bench so who walks by but a widely smiling pat haden, most likely greatly enthused by the trojans clownpunking of the bears

so as he walks by i say "excuse me, pat, when will i will receiving a pine valley invitation from you?"

he looks at me & says with a wink "it all depends on your donations this year"

i look him in the eye (we're about the same height) & tell him, "pat, there's probably a better chance i'm going to donate to the el paso school of bartending that usc"

my buddy pat realizes i'm messing with him (again) & gives me another fake smile and walks away

kinda getting the vibe from pat that i ain't gonna be invited to sit on his selection commmitte for the next trojan bb hc

my favorite trojan#
fight on#

First SCT..and now Pat?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842235498 said:

cal women's hc lindsey gottlieb (gregg gottlieb's spiritual sister) also recruited a 2013 monster class to berkeley

courtney range from manteca & st mary hs has the potential to be an all american...she has all the skills & length to dominate a game like a 3rd ogwumike sister

hind ben abdelkader from brussels plays like a young layshia

mercedes jefflo (love that name) from centennial senior (compton) is already starting & plays like a relentless jorge with her hair flying

kc waters from bod will dominate in the paint with continued s&c work

cal family#
this is cal basketball#

coach gottlieb & her staff are relentlessly building off last year's final four team with a 2014 monster class which features 2 top 20 nationally ranked players from local st marys, mikayla cowling & gabby green...the best nor cal players (recruits with high enough gpas/academic profiles to flourish at the #1 public university in the world) are staying at home for their collegiate experience to play in front of their families & friends

the 16th ranked california golden bears (13-4) play the usc trojans tonite at 6:00 pm at haas
Shocky1
sitting behind the bench at the santa barbara game, it was disappointing to observe that the guys behind the first 7 players were not actively participating & mentally engaged during the team's timeout discussions

they looked like stoned out transients from people's park looking lost in space...to their credit, none of them were incoherently mumbling to themselves about dudes from mars stealing their stuff

they could learn from the then injured ricky kreklow last season who got his broken down azz (and foot) into the middle of every timeout while enthusiastically pumping up his teammates & actively listening to the coaches outline strategies (taking important mental reps)

ricky kreklow is gonna be a wildly successful hc and/or multi millionaire rainmaker in biz someday, he's always gonna have a good looking gf (or wife) that adores him, he's gonna have loving kids that respect him, he's gonna achieve his dreams because he is 100% physically & mentally engaged at all times with his full buy in commitment to excellence...ricky gets it

funny thing is that some guys are always gonna say that ricky is "lucky"...wrong, ricky kreklow is engineering his "luck" in life

i get it, sitting on the bench isn't fun (life is tough, get over it)...the solution isn't to mentally check out/throw a pity party for your sorry azz but rather to grind harder & be mentally tougher

so who are these guys?

*****sam singer-brings passing skills...a gym rat, sam needs to practice a 1000 3 pters a day/night so that when his name is called he will let it fly without hesitation with nothing to fear

*****kameron rooks-brings size...kameron needs to develop a reliable seal & finish move around the basket

*****roger moute a bidias-brings energy...roger needs to work hard with the s&c program & knock down open 10-12 footers

*****jeff powers-brings 3 pt shooting skills...imo the staff is undervaluing jeff's ability to shoot the bears back from losing situations when the starters are off their games

*****christian behrens-brings length & ball skills-christian needs to get 100% healthy

the bears 8 thru 10 roles are still wide open...pt is available

so knock off the dumb azz lost in space crap during timeouts, ok?

cal family#
boats against the current#
the grind#
unbreakable#

why did the bears lose to the trojans at the galen center?

the most significant factor was the complete lack of energy & mental engagement from the cal bench...after the epic passion during victories in palo alto, eugene & corvallis, the bad newz bears reverted back to their santa barbara stoned out transients from people's park lost in space bs

in all seriousness, i noticed sitting 6 feet from the cal bench that ricky (usually the bears leader/mvp for team energy), sammy, roger, garrett, jabari, jeff, christian & kameron spent the first 10 minutes of the game mutely gazing at the usc cheerleaders who were preening literally inches away from the last seat on the cal bench

there was a total lack of focus & vocal support for their teammates, these guys were not mentally locked into the game...i dunno, maybe christian behrens needs to hand out some beast mode skittles before the ucla game to get guys sugared up

ricky, sammy, roger, garrett, jabari, jeff, christian & kameron-try this crap again vs ucla & i'm gonna be screaming at you to get your head out of your azz

and i will relentlessly yell at you until probably security comes over & asks me if there's a problem

then i'll slide them a benjamin or two, tell them to go get some coffee & then i'll continue screaming at you guys even louder

don't make me go ballistic on you & embarazz you in front of sarah & anne montgomery...honestly, if you aren't 100% enthused about playing the ucla bruins at pauley pavilion, you should turn in your california golden bear uniform & transfer your sorry broken down azz down to cal state earthquake & enroll in their hugely popular traffic lights repair service major

i totally get that the bears coaches are locked into the game so it's pretty much the responsibility of true cal fans (you know, the ones that actually go to the games) to make sure the bench is fired up...this is a basketball game, not moffitt library

ok, so here's the gameplan to ensure a successful visit to pauley pavilion:

***justin cobbs feeds richard solomon in the 1st offensive set for a slam dunk with a monster scream from solo to get everybody off their azzs & the blood boiling...knees will be bouncing with energy

***2nd set david kravish receives an entry lob for an interior post move basket

***the bears fight for boards & knock (cleanly) the candy azz soft stretch 4 wear twinz on their azzs

***tyrone wallace uses his length to prevent kyle anderson from facilitating the bruins offense

***alford then adjusts & goes to a compact zone d...this spacing allows jabari bird, jordan mathews & jeff powers to "let it fly" from behind the 3 pt line

***kameron rooks outmuscles tony parker

***christian behrens brings slashing cuts to the basket & energized interior d

***sam singer outplays bryce alford

***roger moute a bidias makes life hell for jordan adams harassing him on the wing

***garrett galvin clownpunks the bruins for a couple of closing baskets in front of his family

***the bears (coaches not included) then hook up with the emotionally needy ucla cheerleaders after the game before the flight back to the bay area

the time is NOW

let's roll#
no regrets#
off to the races#http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lana+del+rey+off+to+the+races&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=44F6102AE773C549415744F6102AE773C5494157

Calfans
I love your spirit!
OdontoBear66
Above all, do not let the turkeys get you down. Keep the grip soft and let 'em fly.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842264853 said:

cameron oliver scored 23 pts as grant (12-3) declawed the franklin wildcats 77-68

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

cameron oliver scored 23 pts as the grant pacers (14-5) slowed down the elk grove thundering heard 76-68
Shocky1
Shocky1;842250172 said:

insightful interview by joey velasquez with moreau catholic's 2016 shooter oscar frayer who is close to a cal offer, pg teammate damari milstead (2017) has been offered by the bears:
http://midmajorhoopsreport.com/2013/12/18/players-corner-qa-with-hot-2016-prospect-oscar-frayer-of-moreau-catholic-hs/

"travis from cal, he's a funny guy and showed a lot of interst to me and i'm truly blessed to be able to say that...i have visited the university of california with my current teammate darmari milstead, it was a humbling and exciting experience, it left a mark on me"

cal family#
bay areas finest#
50 yr friendships#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including hayward)

oscar frayer lit it up for 28 pts along with 14 boards, 2 blocks, 2 steals & only 1 turnover as the hc frank knight's young moreau catholic mariners (14-4) bit the washington huskies 57-51
Shocky1

listen to all american & pac 12 all academic team tara murrey speaking about her bears teammate carli lloyd, the national player of the year, after their loss to penn state in the ncaa volleyball finals

fast forward to the 9 minute & 20 second mark...fireworks

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=207750720

cal family#
50 yr friendships#
the grind#
unbreakable#

how will the 2013/2014 california golden bears mens basketball team remember each other in the years to come?

will there be regrets or will they support & fight together in a quest for greatness?

off to the races#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842252042 said:

former cal power forward tony gonzalez is announcing that this will be his final season in the nfl

apparently tony wants to spend more time with his wife october...

for the hearing impaired, october is telling tony "go bring in the trash can, mr hall of famer, and no golf for you today, don't forget my mom is going be here at 3:30, you're not gonna wear that shirt are you?"

cal (which is very challenging & sometimes a grind) opens doors with the girl of your dreams

today is the former cal starting pf for the 1996 sweet sixteen bears & greatest te in the history of the nfl's final game

gonzo has 79 receptions this season for the atlanta falcons heading into today's game vs the carolina panthers

unsubstantiated rumor in berkeley is that theo robertson & jay john are reviewing the ncca rulebooks to determine if the 37 yr old has any collegiate bb eligibility left and more importantly, if october can be a mid year enrollee for the dance squad (if you don't think october doesn't do yoga 5 times a week, you are clueless)

cal family#
50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including atlanta & every yoga studio around the globe)

today is tony's final football game, his 14th pro bowl game in the islands

meanwhile, october is busily putting together a "now that tony's home all the time schedule"

1) paint the garage door
2) tues drop off & thurs pick up at the dry cleaners
3) active participation in sat morning costco shopping trips
4) redecorate the living room
5) join the neighborhood's wed nite couple's bunco group

pending ncca eligibility approval, tony is sooo ready to return to berkeley & graduate from cal while providing back up bench strength at the 4

cal family#
atoms
Anyone have any idea why Frayer hasn't been offered yet?
HoopDreams
does this look like a team full of one year mercenaries, who aren't around long enough to get to know each other, let alone build life-long bonds?

No. This is [COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="5"]CAL BASKETBALL[/SIZE][/COLOR]

#family

petalumabear
HoopDreams;842270220 said:

does this look like a team full of one year mercenaries, who aren't around long enough to get to know each other, let alone build life-long bonds?

No. This is [COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="5"]CAL BASKETBALL[/SIZE][/COLOR]

#family

Great photo Hd. Thanks for posting here. Fun times for our Bears!
concordtom
Hey Shocky, when you were busy busting on Coach Alford for various stuff, including the fact that he had not only brought his son onto the team as a walk-on but then was giving his son actual playing time (both points hinting at nepotism), were you aware that the kid averaged over 30 per game and was the New Mexico player of the year as a senior, and that he was probably only a walk-on because his dad was the coach and could pay for it and thus has another scholarship for another recruit?

I didn't.
But now I know the kid can actually play!
Intermezzo
OdontoBear66;842269732 said:

Above all, do not let the turkeys get you down. Keep the grip soft and let 'em fly.

Finally put him in the spam filter and now I'm spared all the "look at me" posts.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842261140 said:

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/01/08/6057385/preps-plus-grants-oliver-overcomes.html

cameron oliver's recruitment is shaping up as a cal (depending upon his sat score & 1st semester grades) vs arizona (depending upon who declares early for the nba draft)

"he's a good student, a good kid, and you should see him at home...he can cook, he can bake, he can do laundary...he's going to make a great husband someday"

-denita oliver

cameron, is it a priority for you to share your collegiate bb experience with your mom & dad at every home game at the #1 public university in the world?

mom matters#
cal family#

cameron oliver scored 15 pts as grant (15-5) vanquished the vanden vikings 68-61

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)
Shocky1
Intermezzo;842270627 said:

Finally put him in the spam filter and now I'm spared all the "look at me" posts.

i dunno but putting odonto bear on spam seems kinda stoopid
Shocky1
Shocky1;842189175 said:

4 time gold medal winner at the 2012 london olympic games, missy franklin

50 yr decision#
the grind#
unbreakable#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

"its (cal) been everything i hoped for and more...classes were extremely difficult last semester but i loved them...i was happy with how my grades turned out...i really wanted a school that would challenge me just as much as in the pool...education is such a huge priority for me"

"it's been amazing...i've had so many experiences that i know have already begun to change who i am as an athlete and a person"

-missy franklin, cal student athlete

cal family#
50 yr decision#
50 yr friendships#
Shocky1
concordtom;842270499 said:

Hey Shocky, when you were busy busting on Coach Alford for various stuff, including the fact that he had not only brought his son onto the team as a walk-on but then was giving his son actual playing time (both points hinting at nepotism), were you aware that the kid averaged over 30 per game and was the New Mexico player of the year as a senior, and that he was probably only a walk-on because his dad was the coach and could pay for it and thus has another scholarship for another recruit?

I didn't.
But now I know the kid can actually play!

tom, have you ever been a hs basketball game in new mexico?

of course not...the average guard in the aps system is around 5'6" & non athletic

did you know that the university of new mexico has 2 players & new mexico state has 1 player (who has zero stats this season) who played hs ball in new mexico?

did you know that steve alford has been rejected by the following 2014 pgs: parker jackson-cartwright, josh perkins, robert cartwright, quentin snider & jordan mclaughlin?

did you know that anderson's dad has stated that this is his final season in westwood, that a nba front office source has told me that lavine will declare for the draft (and he is therefore being cross scouted right now), adams is considering declaring too & that the wear twins are srs leaving alford a questionable 2014 team?

bryce alford is not the problem...i never said he wasn't a nice player (he's not an elite playmaker), it was stated that his presence as the coach's son is hampering ucla's ability to recruit an elite pg which is 100% true

last time you brought up alford you stated that you were tired of my pointing out that alford (who has since offered a half azz apology) protected (in order to win more bb games) while at the university of iowa "some rapist from long ago"

i then stated "i doubt the two young ladies who are now in their mid 30's would agree with your preference to forget about "some rapist from long ago""

one thing is for sure, tom, you probably aren't the dad of the year
Shocky1
Shocky1;842228799 said:

idrissa diallo, a silent commit since his official visit with his parents & mentor/coach middlebrooks, is officially a california golden bear

at the beginning of this summer the cal coaching staff regarded idrissa diallo as the most athletic with the highest upside, thomas welsh as the most polished and evan fitzner as the most ball skilled

at various points in his recruitment, iddy had actionable offers from ucla, usc, oregon & colorado with significant interest from other major programs

with a solid 3.4 gpa, diallo is a true student athlete too

congratulations to our honest & high character bb staff (particularly gregg gottlieb) for their tireless efforts in iddy's recruitment

idrissa diallo, an impressive young man from senegal, will continue his epic quest to fulfill his dreams at the #1 ranked public university in the world

idrissa diallo is playing with high energy & intensity for the cathedral phantoms (5-1) with a very high fg % which suggests not only a skilled shooting touch/finishing ability but also good shot selection

1st game: the phantoms denested the santee falcons 80-26 with iddy scoring 12 pts on 5-5 fgs & 2-4 fts along with 7 boards, 3 steals & a block

2nd game: cathedral galloped by the sunrise mountain mustangs 80-51 as iddy scored 21 pts on 9-10 fgs, 3-3 fts along with 4 boards, 2 assists, 3 steals & a block

3rd game: the phantoms wounded the woodbridge warriors 73-61 with iddy scoring 20 pts on 8-11 fgs, 4-6 fts along with a relentless 17 boards, 3 assists & a steal

4th game: cathedral endangered the graves county eagles 49-47 as iddy scored 14 pts, 6-9 fgs, 2-8 fts, 9 boards, an assist, a steal & an impressive get that garbage out of here 7 blocks

the cathedral ad told me that iddy is healthy & that he was rested the last 2 games "just to be safe" to ensure a full recovery...he considers idrissa to be "a really great kid"

diallo is staying in touch with his buddy roger moute a bidias & is eagerly anticpating his arrival in berkeley this summer after going home to senegal to have his visa renewed

go phantoms#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including los angeles & senegal)

iddy has been nominated for the 2014 mcdonalds all american game while leading his cathedral phantoms (15-1) this season...final selections of the 24 player roster will be announced jan 29th

Shocky1
Shocky1;842241052 said:

played this week with bubba watson (the 6 foursomes all played 3 holes with him) at the tpc scottsdale stadium course in a corporate outing

bubba joins our group on the par 5 13th tee & during my pre shot routine of turning 3 times with the driver behind my back he says "woah, woah, what's that all about?"

so i tell him (with the cameras rolling, his round was recorded by a camerman & mic person along with a gopher) that "some of us do yoga, so that way when we play the 10th hole at augusta national we hit it in the fairway instead of 60 yards to the right deep into the woods" (watson won the 2012 masters with a miraculous recovery shot on the 10th hole after a crooked drive)

then i proceed to drop my driver and do a 30 second headstand on the tee box...polite applause from bubba

next tee bubba asks me as i'm moving into my tee shot, "you got a cal hat, are you a hippie?"

i look bubba in the eye and ask him "bubba, being from the south and all, do you think hippies should be allowed to vote?"

flicker of recongition in bubba's eyes that he doesn't have enough game to keep up with me when it comes to trash talking

since everybody else is in golfcarts, bubba & i walked the 3 holes together and i learned the following info:

***he's never had sushi
***he confirmed he resigned from whisper rock because his wife, a 3 handicpap & college vb player, never felt welcomed there
***belongs to estancia in north scottsdale, shot a 61 there the day before
***records his non tour rounds & is a +7.6 handicap
***majored in economics at georgia
***was interested in my becoming the 13th (and youngest) person to play the world's top 100 courses...his favorite course on tour is muirfield village

bubba went eagle, birdie & eagle for the 3 holes

so as we finish up on the island green par 5 15th hole, he asks me in front of the cameras, "hey shocky, i was 5 under for those holes, what were you yoga boy?"

burn

namaste#

bubba watson isn't my favorite golfer this month...not even close

received an email from my new buddy bubba watson who would like to meet up with me again today or tomorrow (before the phx open starts thurs at the tpc scottsdale) at the practice range ("inside the ropes") and/or a quick lunch at the clubhouse

since bubba told me he's never had a golf lesson in his life, it's pretty obvious that he doesn't want to hang with me for my analysis of his swing

most likely bubba realizes he lost the trash talking contest with me last time & now has some well rehearsed & snarky comments about guys who do yoga & cal grads being hippies

bring it on

concordtom
Shocky1;842270891 said:

tom, have you ever been a hs basketball game in new mexico?

of course not...the average guard in the aps system is around 5'6" & non athletic

did you know that the university of new mexico has 2 players & new mexico state has 1 player (who has zero stats this season) who played hs ball in new mexico?

did you know that steve alford has been rejected by the following 2014 pgs: parker jackson-cartwright, josh perkins, robert cartwright, quentin snider & jordan mclaughlin?

did you know that anderson's dad has stated that this is his final season in westwood, that a nba front office source has told me that lavine will declare for the draft (and he is therefore being cross scouted right now), adams is considering declaring too & that the wear twins are srs leaving alford a questionable 2014 team?

bryce alford is not the problem...i never said he wasn't a nice player (he's not an elite playmaker), it was stated that his presence as the coach's son is hampering ucla's ability to recruit an elite pg which is 100% true

last time you brought up alford you stated that you were tired of my pointing out that alford (who has since offered a half azz apology) protected (in order to win more bb games) while at the university of iowa "some rapist from long ago"

i then stated "i doubt the two young ladies who are now in their mid 30's would agree with your preference to forget about "some rapist from long ago""

one thing is for sure, tom, you probably aren't the dad of the year

You did well when you stuck to the facts regarding pg recruiting! No, I did not know those things!
You lost points with your rape-connection-defense stories in that I was never educated by you as to what the situation was an why Alford should remain accountable for his actions. It all came off as bad mouthing just because you could. I still do not know that side of the argument - all I know is a player did something wrong with a girl (was he proven guilty?) and ANY coach is going to stick up for his player if reasonable doubt exists. The courts allows for that.
3rd, you lose massive points when you try to draw me into the rape situation, calling me names bc I don't get on the bandwagon and throw stones. Not only is that rude and personal, but it's also irresponsible.

You might have more success convincing people of your arguments if you were organized in your presentation of fact and logic. Or maybe I lose you when you introduce dumb azz wannabe ghetto talk into your dissertation. There, and when you try to appeal to my loins. That part of my brain is reserved for my wife.
oski003
Tom, if this board existed in a vacuum and you were not allowed to use google, etc..., I'd agree with what you say about Alford. Oh, and I agree about the writing being sporadic, but I find it an entertaining read that I skim through.
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842271079 said:

idrissa diallo is playing with high energy & intensity for the cathedral phantoms (5-1) with a very high fg % which suggests not only a skilled shooting touch/finishing ability but also good shot selection

1st game: the phantoms denested the santee falcons 80-26 with iddy scoring 12 pts on 5-5 fgs & 2-4 fts along with 7 boards, 3 steals & a block

2nd game: cathedral galloped by the sunrise mountain mustangs 80-51 as iddy scored 21 pts on 9-10 fgs, 3-3 fts along with 4 boards, 2 assists, 3 steals & a block

3rd game: the phantoms wounded the woodbridge warriors 73-61 with iddy scoring 20 pts on 8-11 fgs, 4-6 fts along with a relentless 17 boards, 3 assists & a steal

4th game: cathedral endangered the graves county eagles 49-47 as iddy scored 14 pts, 6-9 fgs, 2-8 fts, 9 boards, an assist, a steal & an impressive get that garbage out of here 7 blocks

the cathedral ad told me that iddy is healthy & that he was rested the last 2 games "just to be safe" to ensure a full recovery...he considers idrissa to be "a really great kid"

diallo is staying in touch with his buddy roger moute a bidias & is eagerly anticpating his arrival in berkeley this summer after going home to senegal to have his visa renewed

go phantoms#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including los angeles & senegal)

iddy has been nominated for the 2014 mcdonalds all american game while leading his cathedral phantoms (15-1) this season...final selections of the 24 player roster will be announced jan 29th

Holy Cow shocky. Four games with 24 out of 30 field goals. Please tell me some or all of the shots are outside of 10 feet. Is his competition reasonable? My guess would have to be dunks/put backs/tip ins, but I would love to hear differently. That is phenomenal either way. Go Iddy----right to Cal
smokeyrover
Joel Francisco, ESPN West Coast scout on Iddy:

Quote:

"Cal signee Idrissa Diallo (Cathedral)..has the frame/bounce (shotblocker) but post game and rebounding (out of area) need work ."

fwiw....
Shocky1
congratulations to:

*****mike montgomery
*****travis decuire
*****gregg gottlieb
*****john montgomery
*****theo robertson
*****jay john
*****cal academic tutors

for successfully cleaning up the ben braun academic cesspool as evidenced by the bb team's recent apr of 955...with the current roster of true student athletes, this # is likely to escalate toward 1000 in the future

who are these bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (honorary team member/current playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
jeff powers-excellent student@delasalle
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
amhaad rorie-3.6 gpa@lincoln & montverde academy
idrissa diallo-3.4 gpa@cathedral

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract...hopefully the bears' future nba players will eventually return to cal like former nba all star shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to graduate

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with duke, stanford, the ivy leagues & the service academies

if anyone can document a d1 bb program (other than the programs listed above) that has student athletes as academically gifted as cal, i will donate $10,000 to a university of california (berkeley) educational scholarship program of their choice in their name

#50 yr decision

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

cal family#
50 yr decision#

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) and legitimate collegiate instituions of higher learning with an academic purpose

OFFICIAL LIST OF RULES:

contestants must post the gpas & corresponding evidence on this thread...such official applications will be judged by my fashionista teenage daughters shay & taylor who are esteemed experts on all matters of gpas & academics...submissions will be evaluated based on accuracy, authenticity & documentation...irregular rules & regulations may apply...colleges with lame mascots may potentially not be considered...the judges decisions will be final & there will be no appeals...a final evaluation of all applications will be made public on this thread no later than friday, january 31 by 8:00 pm east coast time
Shocky1
jb is receiving excellent medical treatment but it should be mentioned that his nurse wicked's left arm has some scary azz deal on it, who knows what's up with that...

unbreakable#

nurse wicked is not gonna clear ricky for action vs the arizona schools this week

cal medical staff is great (this is not a picture of barry parsons)#

CALiforniALUM
I will submit the Bucknell Bisons Division I basketball team. According to the Bucknell Athletics Media Guide (Linked Below: Page 126 of 128) in the Spring of 2013 the Bucknell men's basketball team not only captured the Patriot League Championship and went to the NCAA Tournament, but the 15 student-athletes on the squad combined for a stellar 3.49 grade-point average. Led by guard Ryan Frazier, who has the team's highest cumulative GPA, nine Bison made the Dean's list with a GPA of at least 3.50 and a league-high 11 made the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll with a 3.2 or better.

http://issuu.com/bucknellathletics/d...5359963#search

http://www.bucknellbison.com/ViewArt...CLID=209035367

As far as the mascot goes, you can't get any more American than the bison, except for maybe the Bear. GO BEARS!

Runners up: American, Belmont, Denver, Eastern Washington, Indiana State, Kentucky, UL Monroe, Louisville, Mercer, Rice, South Dakota State, Southern Utah, Texas, Texas Tech, Utah, Western Michigan, William & Mary and Youngstown State.
Shocky1
OdontoBear66;842271186 said:

Holy Cow shocky. Four games with 24 out of 30 field goals. Please tell me some or all of the shots are outside of 10 feet. Is his competition reasonable? My guess would have to be dunks/put backs/tip ins, but I would love to hear differently. That is phenomenal either way. Go Iddy----right to Cal

both members of the 2014 monster class idrissa diallo & ahmaad rorie can shoot the ball

iddy has a nice touch for a big guy & when he imposes his will can dominate in the paint shades of solo with redunkulous moves...like rich, idrissa sometimes settles for fadeaways rather than relentlessly attacking the basket...cathedral is a relatively small academically focused school with strict discipline values & usually plays comparably sized schools (not mater dei) but did beat santa monica (cal sharpshooter 2016 target jonah mathews dnp) this season

ahmaad rorie can flat out shoot the rock & let it fly...aubrey shelton the hc for the lincoln abes told me after last season that ahmaad shot a lethal 45% from behind the 3 pt line...and some of those shots were from deep in the cheap seats

shooting matters#
atoms
Shocky1;842271550 said:

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with duke, stanford, the ivy leagues & the service academies

if anyone can document a d1 bb program (other than the programs listed above) that has student athletes as academically gifted as cal, i will donate $10,000 to a university of california (berkeley) educational scholarship program of their choice in their name

OFFICIAL LIST OF RULES:

contestants must post the gpas & corresponding evidence on this thread...such official applications will be judged by my fashionista teenage daughters shay & taylor who are esteemed experts on all matters of gpas & academics...submissions will be evaluated based on accuracy, authenticity & documentation...irregular rules & regulations may apply...colleges with lame mascots may potentially not be considered...the judges decisions will be final & there will be no appeals...a final evaluation of all applications will be made public on this thread no later than friday, january 31 by 8:00 pm east coast time

Okay! Here's my submission, copied from the other thread:

[U]Northwestern Wildcats[/U]

Northwestern is a D-I program (like Cal, and unlike Bucknell or some of the other possible candidates, they're even in a power conference, the Big Ten!), it's not an ivy league school or service academy, and it's not Duke or Stanford. Here's their current roster:

G/F Sanjay Lumpkin(3.6 GPA @ Benilde St. Margaret's High honor roll student, National Honor Society member, Student Recognition Award winner)
F Nathan Taphorn (3.49 GPA @ Pekin)
F Aaron Liberman (3.4 GPA @ Valley Torah)
G Dave Sobolewski (Honor roll student, Named Chicago Tribune Scholar-Athlete, National Honor Society and Spanish National Honor Society member @ Benet Academy. 4.3 GPA @ Benet Academy, 31 ACT score.)
C Alex Olah (His HS teammate at Traders Point was denied admission to Northwestern despite a 4.0 GPA, due to poor grades at his previous school in Croatia. Presumably Olah was doing well both in his native Romania and at Traders Point, where he was an honor roll student. Olah seems to be doing well at Northwestern)
G James Montgomery III (He was a walk-on, so he was admitted normally to NU. He is a mechanical engineering major)
G Tre Demps (National Honor Society member & All-Academic team honoree @ Ronald Reagan HS)
F Kale Abramson (Recipient of CIML basketball academic award all four years, Honor roll student @ Valley HS. Offers from schools like Boston College, Creighton, Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, Wake Forest)
G JerShon Cobb Honor roll student @ Columbia HS
G/F Drew Crawford - 3.4 GPA as an economics major @ Northwestern, NCAA Academic All-American

I couldn't confirm a specific GPA for everyone, but I think you can see based on the GPAs of the guys I could find, and the fact that almost all of them are honor roll students in some way, that on average, they are at least as good in the classroom as our guys. None of the guys whose GPAs I could find, either from high school or at Northwestern, had a number below 3.4, which is pretty darn impressive.

Their mascot Willie the Wildcat sure seems to think it's worth around of applause:

Coincidentally, that number on his jersey reflects the number of trips Northwestern has had to the NCAA men's basketball tournament in its entire history. Thank goodness they're putting in the work in the classroom, because they'll probably be needing that degree for their day jobs.

Northwestern is also a serious and well-respected academic institution. They rank #12 on the USNWR university ranking (Cal, the top public university, is #20 because their system is biased toward private schools). Northwestern is #30 in this ranking and #22 in this one. Not too shabby. Certainly not comparable to a place like Kentucky or Arizona, which are full of what Shocky likes to call "dumb azz ballers"
Shocky1
atoms;842270210 said:

Anyone have any idea why Frayer hasn't been offered yet?

oscar frayer (2016) is considered a coachable high character recruit with a significant potential bb upside

oscar's gonna need to work harder in the classroom before receiving an offer from cal

with frayer's strong work ethic & the disciplined mentoring from moreau catholic's hc frank knight it is expected that he will continue his growth as a student athlete...the cal coaching staff is keeping a close eye on oscar & his teammate damari milistead (2017)

go mariners#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842234561 said:

alex illikainen of grand rapids minnesota (not michigan) is a fiercely competitive (sound familiar?) 6'9" 210 lbs 2015 big man with a 3.5 gpa...alex is aware of cal's reputation as the #1 public university in the world

gregg gottlieb offered illikainen this july to go along with his more than dozen offers including midwest powers indiana, minnesota, creighton & nebraska

alex has 3 ice hockey playing sisters with 2 playing collegiately at dartmouth & providence so there's a family track record of going away for better academic opportunities

the key in the bears recruitment will the coordination of a visit for the illikainen's family to the san francisco bay area

and maybe meet alex's older brother, david kravish...

deja vu all over again=bear territory

cal family#
minnesota winters are cold azz#
minnesota summers are nasty humid with mosquitos#
california dreamin'#

alex illikainen will be officially visiting cal this weekend along with a # of nor cal prospects unofficially visiting for sat's arizona game

welcome to the bay area, alex
Shocky1
Shocky1;842241052 said:

played this week with bubba watson (the 6 foursomes all played 3 holes with him) at the tpc scottsdale stadium course in a corporate outing

bubba joins our group on the par 5 13th tee & during my pre shot routine of turning 3 times with the driver behind my back he says "woah, woah, what's that all about?"

so i tell him (with the cameras rolling, his round was recorded by a camerman & mic person along with a gopher) that "some of us do yoga, so that way when we play the 10th hole at augusta national we hit it in the fairway instead of 60 yards to the right deep into the woods" (watson won the 2012 masters with a miraculous recovery shot on the 10th hole after a crooked drive)

then i proceed to drop my driver and do a 30 second headstand on the tee box...polite applause from bubba

next tee bubba asks me as i'm moving into my tee shot, "you got a cal hat, are you a hippie?"

i look bubba in the eye and ask him "bubba, being from the south and all, do you think hippies should be allowed to vote?"

flicker of recongition in bubba's eyes that he doesn't have enough game to keep up with me when it comes to trash talking

since everybody else is in golfcarts, bubba & i walked the 3 holes together and i learned the following info:

***he's never had sushi
***he confirmed he resigned from whisper rock because his wife, a 3 handicpap & college vb player, never felt welcomed there
***belongs to estancia in north scottsdale, shot a 61 there the day before
***records his non tour rounds & is a +7.6 handicap
***majored in economics at georgia
***was interested in my becoming the 13th (and youngest) person to play the world's top 100 courses...his favorite course on tour is muirfield village

bubba went eagle, birdie & eagle for the 3 holes

so as we finish up on the island green par 5 15th hole, he asks me in front of the cameras, "hey shocky, i was 5 under for those holes, what were you yoga boy?"

burn

namaste#

bubba watson isn't my favorite golfer this month...not even close

received an email from my new buddy bubba watson who would like to meet up with me again today or tomorrow (before the phx open starts thurs at the tpc scottsdale) at the practice range ("inside the ropes") and/or a quick lunch at the clubhouse

since bubba told me he's never had a golf lesson in his life, it's pretty obvious that he doesn't want to hang with me for my analysis of his swing

most likely bubba realizes he lost the trash talking contest with me last time & now has some well rehearsed & snarky comments about guys who do yoga & cal grads being hippies

bring it on

the shockster was wrong

met with bubba watson earlier this week inside the ropes at the practice facility at the tpc scottsdale & we did not trash talk at all (almost)...he did ask me if you need a square head in order to do a headstand (apparently bubba does not know any guys that can do a headstand, remember he's from the south and all)

we talked about family stuff & nutrition and he signed a bunch of stuff for my princesses hs's next charity fundraiser

bubba promised me (i can be relentlessly persuasive) that if he wins the phx open this week he will say "go bears" during the congratulatory interview on the 18th green in front of a billion tv viewers before the networks switch over to the super bowl

bubba is tied for 1st place after the opening round with a 7 under par 64 which included a birdie 2 at the raucous partytown par 3 stadium 16th hole

go bears#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842247962 said:

sammy is considered a gym rat, he's gonna be fine

he's not trying to get into the music biz, steal anybody's laptop, smoke dope, take shortcuts academically, run for an asuc office, move back to china, go half azz during scott thom's workouts, find a program that will let him jack up 15 off balance 3 pters a game, etc.

dude is a bb player, just leave him some gym keys for his nighttime workouts...sam singer will not be outworked

the grind#

sam singer competed against human blur jahil carson & fought for fronting position against mountain man jordan bachynski in the best monster class d to date

sitting in the front row behind the cal announcing team, i saw & heard monty exclaim "shoot it" several times when singer was open but passed up wide open 3 pters...mike & td also exchanged glances when he didn't pull the trigger...the cal coaching staff clearly wants singer to take those shots

if alan crabbe had returned for his sr season (the bears would be ranked in the top 10-15 with another 20+ ppg per night from last year's pac 12 mvp) then the bears might have been ok offensively with singer passing up shots & just facilitating...but in the real world today, the bears need his offensive production to create d spacing

sammy, you coaches want you to take the open 3 pters & your teammates have mad respect & love for you (did you notice jabari bird's ferocious meet & greet with you after your ice in the veins trifecta?)

let if fly, sammy, let if fly with nothing to fear

cal family#
go raiders#

south bender
Shocky, your exhortations to Sam, I am guessing, will have less impact than Monty's.

Even though he has made his last several shots, he has taken few, the one 3-pointer last night and before that, 3 buckets in 3 attempts,including a 3, against Washington.

That is 4 made shots in 4 games.

His form looks fine, his results have been really good, but somehow he is not yet comfortable about being an aggressive, willing scorer.

However, his passing and defense are really coming along. Right now I am more comfortable with him on the floor than either Mathews or Bird. At least he should be earning more playing time. If he does get more opportunity on the court, he will start feeling more comfortable to be a shooter.

Go Bears!
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.