cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,275,698 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
89Bear;842303876 said:

So Mack was offered the job?

yes
89Bear
Shocky1;842303878 said:

yes

Disappointing! Come on Sandy! TD, please...
Shocky1

nicky d & his crew (john wilton & sandy barbour) are having a super secret meeting in the back room at kips today with eric musselman

everybody's gonna drink heavy & get ***** up

muselman's gonna explain all his nba coaching strategies including why he thinks its important that cal's bb student athletes need to get buzzed before games in order to relax & improve their ft %s

duis don't matter, kal is a party school
DrDanger
Shocky1;842303905 said:

nicky d & his crew (john wilton & sandy barbour) are having a super secret meeting in the back room at kips today with eric musselman

everybody's gonna drink heavy & get ***** up

muselman's gonna explain all his nba coaching strategies including why he thinks its important that cal's bb student athletes need to get buzzed before games in order to relax & improve their ft %s

duis don't matter, kal is a party school

So...will there be a Harry Potter reading?
Polodad
The two guys left standing have no job leverage, which should make it easier for the deciders, after having been scorched by Mack.
seattlebear02
Shocky1;842303878 said:

yes

It's obvious that the selection committee isn't 100% sold on TD or else they wouldn't have offered Mack, wouldn't be flirting with Musselman, and they would've just hired TD already. What is the selection committee's big hang up on TD? Seems like TD's positives far outweigh the negatives at this point.
Shocky1
by monday
LOUMFSG2
seattlebear02;842303916 said:

It's obvious that the selection committee isn't 100% sold on TD or else they wouldn't have offered Mack, wouldn't be flirting with Musselman, and they would've just hired TD already. What is the selection committee's big hang up on TD? Seems like TD's positives far outweigh the negatives at this point.

I don't think you can conclude that the committee has a big hang up on TD. Travis isn't going anywhere. The search has not even gone 2 weeks yet. They have a viable candidate in DeCuire, and now I think they are doing more than just due diligence as a formality, they are exploring all options in earnest. They should interview Musselman at the same level as TD, and be open and give him a fair chance. Then based on the interviews and the other information they gather, they should make the choice that gives the program the best chance for success going forward.

As fans, it is hard to sit around and wait for the process to work its way through. But even if they really like DeCuire, there is no harm in being open to other options, and chasing them down completely.
Polodad
LOUMFSG2;842303995 said:

I don't think you can conclude that the committee has a big hang up on TD. Travis isn't going anywhere. The search has not even gone 2 weeks yet. They have a viable candidate in DeCuire, and now I think they are doing more than just due diligence as a formality, they are exploring all options in earnest. They should interview Musselman at the same level as TD, and be open and give him a fair chance. Then based on the interviews and the other information they gather, they should make the choice that gives the program the best chance for success going forward.

As fans, it is hard to sit around and wait for the process to work its way through. But even if they really like DeCuire, there is no harm in being open to other options, and chasing them down completely.

I agree here. On the day MM announced his retirement, SB indicated TD was a viable candidate, which translate to 'we think he can do the job', but that the search would be national to insure not missing anybody that might be an even better fit. IMO, Musselman will not meet that test.
89Bear
Shocky1;842303986 said:

by monday

Interesting. That would SEEM to indicate TD or Muss. Right?
parentswerebears
With Muss out of the running ...? It seems that TD is the man. I really hope so. I think the "Cal can't have nice things" is ending. But time will tell, especially within the next few weeks, with the last two places in the lineup and into the 15 class. Hopefully, we have a monster class, because we have the right connections with the recruits.
89Bear
If it is TD it would seem:
-Players would all remain and be all in!!!
-Austrian would come.
-A transfer is coming.
-The recruits would stay.
-Theo is an assistant coach, and can recruit.

This is at a minimum. I'm good with this.

I hope for:
-An experienced Labagh(sp?) from CCSF.
-An article with Monty praising the decision.
-A lot of publicity with the current players praising TD for recruits and their families to see.
parentswerebears
89Bear;842304056 said:

If it is TD it would seem:
-Players would all remain and be all in!!!
-Austrian would come.
-A transfer is coming.
-The recruits would stay.
-Theo is an assistant coach, and can recruit.

This is at a minimum. I'm good with this.

I hope for:
-An experienced Labagh(sp?) from CCSF.
-An article with Monty praising the decision.
-A lot of publicity with the current players praising TD for recruits and their families to see.

That seems like a great day for Cal and a public relations win for the AD. Unless there is a VERY secret uber replacement waiting for the press conference, this just seems like a no brainer to me considering where we are today.
Basketball Bear
Here is the problem the longer this takes the more likely TD is not the coach to be named. Don't you think he would've been named by now?
blungld
seattlebear02;842303916 said:

Committee has to look like they've earned their money.
parentswerebears
"Here is the problem the longer this takes the more likely TD is not the coach to be named. Don't you think he would've been named by now?"

Who else is there? We have gotten so many red herrings and rumors that I don't have a clue what we will have when the dust settles.
socaltownie
parentswerebears;842304063 said:

Who else is there? We have gotten so many red herrings and rumors that I don't have a clue what we will have when the dust settles.

TD or a monster hire from left field. If they go with Turner I fear that BI will melt down, the internet will crash, Civilization will end and cal basketball will be the least of our problems. Family friends have a small place about 30 miles outside of Julian. You are all invited to come as long as you know how to shoot a .44
NYCGOBEARS
socaltownie;842304064 said:

TD or a monster hire from left field. If they go with Turner I fear that BI will melt down, the internet will crash, Civilization will end and cal basketball will be the least of our problems. Family friends have a small place about 30 miles outside of Julian. You are all invited to come as long as you know how to shoot a .44

I can shoot. Will the antique stores in Julian still be open?
parentswerebears

I'll bring my shotgun. And my wife, who is really good at shooting squirrels and other small game.
NVGolfingBear

Got a stretch of land out in the middle of nowhere in Nevada picked out. Just load the jeep with the one designated closet with all the survival stuff, add some stuff in the corner of the garage and we're out here. Water, timber and game. We're set!
parentswerebears
Wow. This thread is truly monstrous. We have covered recruiting, golf, a coaching search, donors, created an (in) famous BI celebrity, yoga, hot women, differences between states, and now Doomsday prepping.
Shocky1

eric musselman no longer a candidate to live in the bears castle but no worries, eric has already met his belle

story old as time
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=beauty+and+the+beast+song+video&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=61CD77B092500A47235261CD77B092500A472352

Shocky1

"coaches, i'm going to outwork you today!!! #the season never ends"

-travis decuire

"players in our program trust travis and that's huge in today's business...they want to play for him and he's developed relationships with these kids...and he's developed relationships with the people that we need to recruit, that trust him...i think that, that alone, is huge with this group of young kids"

-mike montgomery

"he's energetic and young...he'll bring life to the program...if he is the new head coach, that would be great for the program"

-jabari bird

"i think travis is a great coach...he does a lot of work with us on the x's and o's...he builds relationships with his players and i think he's very energetic and fun...we really respect him and we trust him...i think if he was hired as the coach he would do a great job"

-tyrone wallace

"td ain't some candy azz soft stooopid broken down dumb azz"

-anonymous bears fan

cal family#

it's been my experience that winners (like great golf courses, beautiful women & my rescue dogs/cats) come in different packages & personalities, there's no magical formula

my biggest concern about travis decuire being named the next bb hc at cal is whether he is too quiet or not

so i asked that question to the most qualified person on planet earth to provide an answer: td's dad

mr decuire, who is as loud & fiery as me, thoughtfully told me at the fun washington victory in seattle that he's talked to travis re: the importance of building a staff that complements his personality & doesn't just mirror himself (quiet burning intensity)

the successful example we discussed was stoic hard azz don james at washington who intimidated his players but wisely hired outgoing player's coach keith gilbertson as his oc...they balanced each other

td's dad told me he (along with others) has told travis it's ok to swear more, that the world isn't gonna end if he tells jabari bird to get his sorry ******* broken down azz back on d

mr decuire & i ended our conversation laughing that if necessary both he & i could sit on the end of the cal bench to fire up the troops (until someone punches us)

other than the players, staff & announcers, i saw more cal bb in person (usually within feet of the bench) than anybody else & as i've noted, this year's team was too quiet particularly during their late season meltdown...with mike & his riverdance stomping & yelling gone, cal bb needs a serious infusion of more energized vocal leadership from everybody

in speaking with ahmaad rorie & idrissa diallo, both of them are not big talkers

but i trust td to recognize these issues & find solutions...anybody who has ever sat within earshot of the loud cal wbb team knows that hc lindsey gottlieb would be a good person to get her thoughts on this topic

travis decuire is a man of high character & is the best qualified person to lead forward the cal bb program
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/decuire-still-biding-his-time-now-in-coaching-ranks/article_44ae5986-ae03-11de-bdb5-001cc4c002e0.html

in the spirit of the bay area's celebration of personal individuality, the road td has taken to cal is quite a bit different than most bb coaches

travis decuire=cal fit

cal family#

it would be a travisty of epic proportions to not rightfully name travis decuire as the head basketball coach at the #1 ranked public university in the world

sandy barbour is on board with this opinion, just a couple more cooks in the kitchen need to approve the cake before the cool icing melts in the dark & we never have this recipe again

in fact, mac dre has confirmed to me that it would be stoopid not to give td his chance of a lifetime
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dre+mac+lets+get+stoopid+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=AF42DE583572D0F44FCCAF42DE583572D0F44FCC

the time is now#
coming of age#
The travisty of epic proportions is our program.

The travisty of epic proportions is that nobody really wanted this job but your guy.

A wise and strong AD would have done so much better.
Shocky1
1947;842304177 said:

The travisty of epic proportions is our program.

The travisty of epic proportions is that nobody really wanted this job but your guy.

A wise and strong AD would have done so much better.

1947, when you make comments like that (the ad does not control the high academic standards at cal that don't exist at other schools, the cost of living in the bay area or the under behind the scenes $ payments to elite players at places like arizona), you come across as an uniformed, behind the times racist
BeggarEd
I see nothing racist in 47's comments.

I do however see a "dumbazz" who spelled travesty wrong twice in one post.
Shocky1
if cal wasn't the #1 ranked public university in the world with challenging academics for our student athletes, this is what my recommended coaching staff would look like...all of them would be tremendous recruiters

mack the truck, shaka smart, chaka kahn, mark few, mark more, the miller bros, the marshall plan & kickin' josh pasternack have all built their reps by recuiting dumb azz 2.5 gpa ballers & winning games

the last half a century of cal bb has proven that recruiting/retaining low gpa players will not be a successful strategy in berkeley

the skillset for the next bears staff should include:
*****high character individuals with proven track records of doing things the right way
*****successful recruiters who understand the academic challenges at cal & can relentlessly identify, recruit & retain true student athletes
*****off the charts energy...college bb coaching with its 100+ aau/hs games a yr targeting recruits is best suited to youthful candidates...nobody over 50 with an aarp card is an ideal candidate
*****style of play...bears need to play more up tempo to attract elite players & sell tixs
*****charismatic

with this in mind, my recommended cal bb staff includes:
*****travis decuire, head coach-recommended salary of $950,000, td made $172,000 & montgomery made $1,920,000 in 2012
*****ken bone or justin labagh, associate head coach (blaine taylor is not a good cal fit)-recommended salary of $200,000
*****gregg gottlieb-recommended salary of $175,000, made $166,000 in 2012
*****theo robertson, assistant coach-recommended salary of $135,000
*****john montgomery, director of bb operations-recommended salary of $130,000, made $127,000 in 2012
*****scott thom, s&c (spends more time with the players than the coaches because of ncca regs), recommended salary of $85,000, made an under market value $60,000 in 2012

let's roll#

Shocky1
BeggarEd;842304214 said:

I see nothing racist in 47's comments.

I do however see a "dumbazz" who spelled travesty wrong twice in one post.

you don't see anything wrong in 1947's comments because u r a stoopid dumb azz

maybe you 2 should meet for drinks or something
socaltownie
Shocky1;842304222 said:

if cal wasn't the #1 ranked public university in the world with challenging academics for our student athletes, this is what my recommended coaching staff would look like...all of them would be tremendous recruiters

mack the truck, shaka smart, chaka kahn, mark few, mark more, the miller bros, the marshall plan & kickin' josh pasternack have all built their reps by recuiting dumb azz 2.5 gpa ballers & winning games

the last half a century of cal bb has proven that recruiting/retaining low gpa players will not be a successful strategy in berkeley

the skillset for the next bears staff should include:
*****high character individuals with proven track records of doing things the right way
*****successful recruiters who understand the academic challenges at cal & can relentlessly identify, recruit & retain true student athletes
*****off the charts energy...college bb coaching with its 100+ aau/hs games a yr targeting recruits is best suited to youthful candidates...nobody over 50 with an aarp card is an ideal candidate
*****style of play...bears need to play more up tempo to attract elite players & sell tixs
*****charismatic

with this in mind, my recommended cal bb staff includes:
*****travis decuire, head coach-recommended salary of $950,000, td made $172,000 & montgomery made $1,920,000 in 2012
*****ken bone or justin labagh, associate head coach (blaine taylor is not a good cal fit)-recommended salary of $200,000
*****gregg gottlieb-recommended salary of $175,000, made $166,000 in 2012
*****theo robertson, assistant coach-recommended salary of $135,000
*****john montgomery, director of bb operations-recommended salary of $130,000, made $127,000 in 2012
*****scott thom, s&c (spends more time with the players than the coaches because of ncca regs), recommended salary of $85,000, made an under market value $60,000 in 2012

let's roll#

Decent staff. Hopefully gets done today/Monday.
Shocky1
original monsters + monster class=cal family

where the monsters are#

l to r, jarbari "barbados dimes" bird, tyrone "crazee glue" wallace, sara (best golfer in the family) montgomery, kameron "the ft guru" rooks & jordan "chunk" mathews

flew in & out today, got my tix at will call (thx jj) & then just sat in the 1st row behind the cal announcing team within listening distance of mr cranky pants & his foot stomping

the cal monster class did not play candy azz soft or like metrosexual seans: kameron had his most aggressive rebound as a bear + a crowd pleasing block, roger gave the team good energy, sammy with a sweet assist & used his length on d for a couple of near steals, jabari with 3 more assists (8 in the last 2 games) & jordan with 3 assists + better job of fighting thru screens

funny moment when after an atrocious call against christian behrens, the same ref did a make up call with richard solomon being fouled by a coug in the paint...wsu hc ken bone (who looks like kenneth the page on 30 rock) looks down the sideline at monty & makes a traveling signal hand motion...mike shakes his head & claps his hands, then bone gives him a quick wink...those of you sleep walking thru life watching cal bb on tv are missing these priceless moments of the haas experience

there were 9,348 cal fans celebrating the bears victory...where were you?

good times in berkeley tonite...don't miss the sax solo

ken bone washington hc

kenneth the page from 30 rock

ken bone was a key contributor on the bench for lorenzo romar's success until washington's recent slide into oblivion (cj wilcox has graduated, nigel williams-goss is considering the nba draft & 7" criminal robert upshaw who was kicked out of fresno state is now flunking out in seattle)

bone would add an experienced xxx's & ooo's guy along bringing a little more levity to our other coaches quiet intense personalities...chemistry upgrade

plus he's famous already

can't wait for 30 rock nite at haas...i'm gonna go as alec baldwin
89Bear
Who is Blaine Taylor?
Vineyardview
The Bone situation:

WSU "Athletic director Bill Moos told The Spokesman-Review .... Bone’s contract insures that WSU is responsible for paying his $850,000 salary for the next two seasons whether or not he is retained." WE all know what happened next.

At least Bone will have some money to transition to Berkeley if he gets the offer and decides to accept it.
concordtom
Shocky1;842304242 said:

...wsu hc ken bone (who looks like kenneth the page on 30 rock) looks down the sideline at monty & makes a traveling signal hand motion...mike shakes his head & claps his hands, then bone gives him a quick wink...those of you sleep walking thru life watching cal bb on tv are missing these priceless moments of the haas experience

The art of hyperbole.

Posting on BearInsider: free
Paying for Cable TV: $50/month
Banging one of Shocky's T&A broads: $50 - $20,000
Watching KB wink at MM: priceless!

...lol
Vineyardview
Ken Bone's Coaching career

Bone, a Seattle, Washington native,graduated from Seattle Pacific University in 1983.

He was an assistant coach at Shorecrest High School in Shoreline, Washington and Cal State Stanislaus before returning to Seattle Pacific as an assistant coach in 1986, becoming head coach in 1990. In twelve years at Seattle Pacific, he compiled a 253–97 (72.3%) record and made 8 appearances in the NCAA Division II Tournament, reaching the semifinals in 2000.

From 2002 to 2005, Bone was an assistant coach at Washington, where he helped recruit all-time Huskies rebounding leader and NBA player Jon Brockman, who was coached by Bone's older brother, Len Bone, the Snohomish High School boys' basketball coach.

In 2005, Ken Bone became head coach at Portland State and was selected as the 2007–08 Big Sky Conference Men's Basketball Coach of the Year after taking the Vikings to their first ever NCAA Tournament. In 2009, Bone coached the Vikings to a second consecutive appearance in the NCAA Tournament. In four years with Portland State, Bone compiled a 77–49 record.

In 2009, Bone accepted an offer to become the head coach at Washington State. He signed a 7-year contract.

Bone was dismissed from the WSU Basketball program on March 18th of 2014 when the Athletic Director, Bill Moos, elected to pay off the remaining two years on his seven year contract. This was following a 2014 campaign that saw the Cougars go 10-21 overall and 3-15 in conference play.
concordtom
Shocky1;842304222 said:

You're right. I have now adjusted my compass to focus on the proper destination!

[U]Beavers Score Five on All-Academic Team[/U]
Five Caltech student-athletes were named to the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference 2010 Men's Basketball All-Academic Team, as announced today. To qualify, a player must have a 3.5 G.P.A. or higher, be in second year varsity status, and have appeared in one game during the current season.
First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.