cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,590 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
tsubamoto2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To me, based on the info that's out there, it looks like CM is targeting a combo-ish guard for 2015 and a true PG for 2016. Not a bad strategy, as 2015 does seem to be a weak class for PG's.
Shocky1
ben kone, a 6'8" 240 lbs 2016 mitty & oakland soldier, unofficially visited with the cal bb staff this summer in berkeley

kone played at salesian as a freshman (recalls being dunked on by jabari daily in practice) & last season at mitty accumulated 12 ppg, 12 rpg, a fluid 5.5 apg, 3 blocks & 2 steals per game

ben has transformed his body & impressed the cal coaches with a 26 pt explosion at the pump n' run in anaheim this july

the former skiboarder needs to continue to work on his fitness, ball handling & shots off the dribble...kone is already a ferocious rebounder at the 4, an actively engaged defender & an excellent ft shooter (highly unusual for a young big)...in many ways, he is like a young leon powe

ben & his mom are very close which would make a future potential offer from cal & the opportunity to continue playing with ringleader oscar frayer & other soldiers a highly attractive option

cal family#
salute#
bearmanpg
As I said on the Ben Kone thread......Ben Kone is a MAN.......didn't know his stats from last year but they actually look better than I thought.......he played tentative on offense last year but I believe he will step it up with more confidence this year.......damn, what a stat filler....12, 12, 5, 3, and 2....WHEW
bearmanpg
SFBearz;842345171 said:

This Sunday would be a good time to check out Jordan Ford in person, at the Nor Cal Clash. Rabb is scheduled to play as is Ben Kone, Carlos Johnson (now at El Cerrito), Paris Austin, Christian Terrell, and other Cal prospects.

Rabb is not playing Saturday in New York because of a high and low ankle sprain. That casts some doubt about him playing Sunday out here. Zagoria says Ivan has confirmed that Cal and Kentucky will be in his final list.
tim94501
bearmanpg;842345187 said:

Rabb is not playing Saturday in New York because of a high and low ankle sprain. That casts some doubt about him playing Sunday out here. Zagoria says Ivan has confirmed that Cal and Kentucky will be in his final list.

Feel like there's a lot of people thinking he's flirting with nc pretty tough.
Shocky1

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-meet-top-2015-recruit-ivan-rabb/

bay area's finest#
sounds of summer#

ivan named by his peers, 30 elite aau ballers, as the "best fly swatter"
http://usatodayhss.com/2014/08/18/elite-hoopers-make-their-picks-for-aau-awards-and-superlatives/

rabb's jr yr mixtape=unreal

Shocky1

cal family#
mom matters#

GoBears58
Shocky1;842344907 said:

took my blair waldorf fashionista daughters shay & taylor to the interpol concert at the marquee theatre in tempe tonite (school nite too, dad of the year)...shaylor live concert rules applied meaning dad can't stand by them unless invited to do so...oh well

interpol lead guitarist daniel kessler is an amazing talent that i've enjoyed watching perform in several countries...dude just connects with his guitar & the music

look, i don't wanna complain about my life but driving home with the top down thru the warm summer desert nite & the music still buzzing in my ears, i contemplated my life & its direction and came to the following realization

if cal is such a "dream school," how come i'm not the lead guitarist for interpol?

studying in school & learning **** is a total waste of time...i'll bet daniel kessler never even went to college

let's face facts:

***am i pro golfer?...nope, a good day at the links might generate a couple of hundred dollars

***can i do a handstand?...not even close, just a headstand...my yoga muse thinks i'm a hopeless crooked toed wildebeest

***has the cal monster class thread convinced ivan to become a bear?...not even gonna answer that one

***am i the lead guitarist for interpol?....**** no

throw away all your schoolbooks & follow your dreams

the university of california, beserkly=#1 rated public university in the world (for losers who lack the talent & vision to become the lead guitarist for interpol)

turn out the bright lights#

taking my 13 y/o son to the Fox if I can get GA tix.. Seen them every time they have been here.. Warfield, UC Davis..

SRBear
ha...I watched that...couldn't you have picked something a bit more uplifting??? :cry:
smokeyrover
tsubamoto2001;842345173 said:

To me, based on the info that's out there, it looks like CM is targeting a combo-ish guard for 2015 and a true PG for 2016. Not a bad strategy, as 2015 does seem to be a weak class for PG's.

With uncertainty around Bird and Wallace being on the team next year, it's possible he wants two combo-ish guards for 2015. Lots of guys being focused on -- Dorsey, Cheatham, Sampson, Poyser, and Roach. All good and versatile enough to where you likely take two of them if possible (either now or in the spring) regardless of what Bird and Wallace decide.

In some ways 2015 seems like a natural year for a pg (2015 - Singer jr, Chauca soph, Wallace?), and then be in good position to add Damari Milstead two years later in 2017. Of course it's becoming rare when things work out according to plan...
smokeyrover
Shocky1;842345261 said:

cal family#
mom matters#

Getting to Know Tracy Webster

Quote:

CB: What is your message to prospects in the Bay Area about staying home and representing their home school?

TW: LeBron just did it. There is no place like home. The love that guys get while being at home from having their family and friends come to every game in Berkeley to being a hero for representing their area on the national stage is like nothing else. Stephen Domingo went away to play in the east coast originally and didn’t have many opportunities to see his family, but now he is back where he grew up playing at Cal an spending time with his family and friends whenever he wants.

This is a great opportunity right in their backyard, why go away? It is a great school with a great fan base… why leave?

CB: What have you seen from the Cal campus and Haas Pavilion that really sticks out so far?

TW: The campus is great. It is very clean. It is a large size, but not too big. This is a gym in Haas Pavilion where you can get it to rock. If you watch it on film, the fans are on top of our players and give them a great boost. It is a great sixth man here. I really enjoy being in these facilities and bringing guys on campus to see it. We are the No. 1 public institution in the world… you can’t go wrong.

CB: Why do guys love playing for Coach Martin?

TW: It is about the relationship the guys have with him. They have that trust factor. He will always have their back. He is trying t make everyone better. He always has their best interests at heart. The guys believe in him and that means everything.

That is the recruiting pitch.

Martin, Webster, Harris, and Hufnagel have something that the previous staff did not. All were assistants at high majors previously (one could argue that San Diego State is now essentially recruiting as a high major, and that while Gottlieb helped build it, they have elevated since he's been at Cal). This staff also has a lot more high major playing experience as well.

They have a different perspective on how to sell Cal and conduct the recruiting process in competition with other high majors. Overall it's a change in tactics that starts from the top down.

In reading recruit interviews, Martin's character and personality seem to be major selling points, followed by status of the university.
SFCityBear
smokeyrover;842345339 said:

With uncertainty around Bird and Wallace being on the team next year, it's possible he wants two combo-ish guards for 2015. Lots of guys being focused on -- Dorsey, Cheatham, Sampson, Poyser, and Roach. All good and versatile enough to where you likely take two of them if possible (either now or in the spring) regardless of what Bird and Wallace decide.

In some ways 2015 seems like a natural year for a pg (2015 - Singer jr, Chauca soph, Wallace?), and then be in good position to add Damari Milstead two years later in 2017. Of course it's becoming rare when things work out according to plan...

Uncertainty? I don’t see very much uncertainty for Bird or Wallace at all. Bird at least does have a starting job pretty much locked up, but he did not have as good a freshman year as Allen Crabbe did before him, and he will have to make big improvements in all phases of the game to think about leaving early. Wallace doesn’t even have a starting job locked up. He could be beaten out for PG, because Singer handles the point very well, running the team more like a true point, and at the SG, Mathews can shoot the lights out, where Wallace’s shooting is not remarkable in any way. In 2015-16, both Bird and Wallace could be challenged for some of their playing time by Domingo.

Of course, whether a player leaves early can depend on the strength of the draft at his position, as what happened with Allen Crabbe, who was not good enough to be leaving early and be a high draft pick. Still, with both Bird and Wallace, it will take work and improvement to get to the next level, and that may be the determining factor. I expect to see them both in Cal uniforms in 2015-16, and I will be thankful if that happens.
BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear;842345379 said:

Uncertainty? I don't see very much uncertainty for Bird or Wallace at all. Bird at least does have a starting job pretty much locked up, but he did not have as good a freshman year as Allen Crabbe did before him, and he will have to make big improvements in all phases of the game to think about leaving early. Wallace doesn't even have a starting job locked up. He could be beaten out for PG, because Singer handles the point very well, running the team more like a true point, and at the SG, Mathews can shoot the lights out, where Wallace's shooting is not remarkable in any way. In 2015-16, both Bird and Wallace could be challenged for some of their playing time by Domingo.

Of course, whether a player leaves early can depend on the strength of the draft at his position, as what happened with Allen Crabbe, who was not good enough to be leaving early and be a high draft pick. Still, with both Bird and Wallace, it will take work and improvement to get to the next level, and that may be the determining factor. I expect to see them both in Cal uniforms in 2015-16, and I will be thankful if that happens.

You have a massive blind spot when it comes to Wallace. You didn't think he would start last year either. Barring injury Wallace will be starting for Cal until he leaves.
GATC
It seems like when Wallace can drive and score in transition, he looks great. In a set offense, he doesn't look as comfortable and can take some scary looking 3's. He can be a good defender with his long arms. If he continues to improve his outside shot, it will be hard to keep him off the court.
NYCGOBEARS
GATC;842345443 said:

It seems like when Wallace can drive and score in transition, he looks great. In a set offense, he doesn't look as comfortable and can take some scary looking 3's. He can be a good defender with his long arms. If he continues to improve his outside shot, it will be hard to keep him off the court.

I'm hoping that with his experience he'll make better choices and improve his shot selection.
SFBearz
smokeyrover;842345339 said:

Bird and Wallace are very likely to be on the team next year along with Domingo and Mathews so it actually makes more sense to bring in combo guards or wings in 2016. And that's what will happen with Frayer and Jonah Mathews. Still, if you can get a really good combo guard like Poyser, you have to take him.
parentswerebears
SFBearz;842345475 said:

Bird and Wallace are very likely to be on the team next year along with Domingo and Mathews so it actually makes more sense to bring in combo guards or wings in 2016. And that's what will happen with Frayer and Jonah Mathews. Still, if you can get a really good combo guard like Poyser, you have to take him.

Call me cautious, but is Jonah essentially a done deal?
Shocky1
parentswerebears;842345503 said:

Call me cautious, but is Jonah essentially a done deal?

i asked that ? a week ago if jonah was a silent & the answer was no
Shocky1

cuonzo martin has officially offered 2016 6'1" santa monica vikings man on fire sharpshooter jonah mathews

mathews is a huge cal recruiting priority and also has offers from asu & utah...like his older bro jordan he also excels academically in the classroom

jonah loved growing up in san francisco when his dad phil was the hc for the usf dons

dude already got the right gear

cal family#
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842345511 said:

cuonzo martin has officially offered 2016 6'1" santa monica vikings man on fire sharpshooter jonah mathews

mathews is a huge cal recruiting priority and also has offers from asu & utah...like his older bro jordan he also excels academically in the classroom

jonah loved growing up in san francisco when his dad phil was the hc for the usf dons

dude already got the right gear

cal family#

Yo! I got that hoodie. Jonah has great taste. Go Bears!
Shocky1
hannif cheatham is an explosive utillity 6'5" 175 lbs 2015 top 60 player from pembroke pines charter in florida

"winning florida mr basketball, getting a state championship, and making the mcdonalds team, that would be a huge exclamation point on my high school career...just thinking about the mcdonalds' team gives me chills...i will be working 24/7 to achieve those goals"

-hannif cheatham

hannif has more than two dozen offers (including cal) from major programs & a longtime relationship with yanni

cheatham avg 16.9 ppg, 3.4 rpg & 2.5 apg for nike florida during the eybl regular season

the southpaw intends to declare his college intention at his hs on sept 5th, the day before his birthday

hannif knows sam singer...sam is gonna tell him that florida ain't sweater weather & about the cool cali summers

cheatham has narrowed his list of his 6 final schools (all with actionable offers) including cal, florida state, georgetown, georgia, marquette & baylor (replacing wichita state)...alabama is no longer in the picture

"i picked those six school because i think i can make an immediate impact at all of those places...i have a comfortable relationship with all of the head coaches...i'm going to look at what (head) coach stays most in touch with me...i'm also big on academics and looking at the overall fit"

-hannif cheatham (to rob harrington)

hannif has tripped to alabama & georgetown, will visit marquette next weekend & is officially visiting cal this weekend

cal family#
50 year decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including florida)
Shocky1
rabb, cheatham & (k)rooks

happy & misty mae approve this message
trouble, mugsy & minko stinko do not approve this message

rescue pets rule#
parentswerebears
Shocky1;842345509 said:

i asked that ? a week ago if jonah was a silent & the answer was no

Sfbearz just seemed to speak with a lot of confidence about him in that post. It would be great to have the brothers Mathews.
concernedparent
SFCityBear;842345379 said:

Uncertainty? I don't see very much uncertainty for Bird or Wallace at all. Bird at least does have a starting job pretty much locked up, but he did not have as good a freshman year as Allen Crabbe did before him, and he will have to make big improvements in all phases of the game to think about leaving early. Wallace doesn't even have a starting job locked up. He could be beaten out for PG, because Singer handles the point very well, running the team more like a true point, and at the SG, Mathews can shoot the lights out, where Wallace's shooting is not remarkable in any way. In 2015-16, both Bird and Wallace could be challenged for some of their playing time by Domingo.

When do you not start your 2nd best (or arguably best) returning player? Unless Singer is the second coming of Jimmer, Jordan Mathews is Jordan Adams 2.0 and Bird is actually Demar Derozan... in which case I'm okay with Wallace sitting because it means we have a final four team.
Shocky1

the cal bb staff will be keeping a close eye on tomorrow's 6th annual nor cal clash at contra costa community college at 3:30 pm featuring the 2015 all stars (ivan rabb may not play because of an ankle injury) vs the 2016 all stars

check out the link below, more than half of the 2016 all stars being coached by former cal standout sir richard midgley (modesto christian crusaders) including ringleader oscar frayer are being actively scouted & recruited by the bears...the 2015 all stars are gonna be coached by frank knight (moreau catholic crusaders)
http://norcalbasketball.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-talent-in-nor-cal-clash.html

just another perfect summer day in the san francisco bay area to chillax
http://vimeo.com/45797764

shocky's 1st kiss was on this hiking trail down to stinson beach with his dog blaze & a hottie...just to clarify, i kissed the girl, not the dog (don't be a dumb azz)

nor cal magic#
stu

First kiss already taken. First golf course design?
stivo
Shocky1;842345624 said:

the cal bb staff will be keeping a close eye on tomorrow's 6th annual nor classic at contra costa community college at 3:30 pm featuring the 2015 all stars (ivan rabb may not play because of an ankle injury) vs the 2016 all stars

check out the link below, more than half of the 2016 all stars being coached by former cal standout sir richard midgley (modesto christian crusaders) including ringleader oscar frayer are being actively scouted & recruited by the bears...the 2015 all stars are gonna be coached by frank knight (moreau catholic crusaders)
http://norcalbasketball.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-talent-in-nor-cal-clash.html

just another perfect summer day in the san francisco bay area to chillax
http://vimeo.com/45797764

shocky's 1st kiss was on this hiking trail down to stinson beach with his dog blaze & a hottie...just to clarify, i kissed the girl, not the dog (don't be a dumb azz)

nor cal magic#

Look, we've all found ourselves on a beautiful hiking trail with our favorite dog, and there is NOTHING to be ashamed of. You don't have to pretend that you're better than the rest of us. Go bears!
SFCityBear
concernedparent;842345533 said:

When do you not start your 2nd best (or arguably best) returning player? Unless Singer is the second coming of Jimmer, Jordan Mathews is Jordan Adams 2.0 and Bird is actually Demar Derozan... in which case I'm okay with Wallace sitting because it means we have a final four team.

Our best returning player is Kravish, period. No one on this team does as many things well as Kravish, rebound,, defend, block shots, postup, shoot short and mid range jumpers, hooks, you name it. And supposedly this season, he will unveil his new and improved three point shot. Kravish goes down, and this team finishes dead last in the PAC12, or close to it.

Wallace brings versatility, heart, hustle, aggressiveness, good ball handling skills, and a flair for the dramatic in his drives to the hoop. He’s a great rebounder for a guard. He can’t make his threes, and he often kills us on his drives, because he can’t make his free throws. He is a good, but not great passer. Wallace takes too many chances on defense, often losing his man on back cuts or overplaying passing lanes. With all due respect, do you want a Jimmer Fredette playing point guard for us? Wouldn’t you rather have a point guard who can get the entire team involved in the game, instead of doing all the scoring himself?

As to Wallace starting at SG, how can you start a shooting guard who can’t shoot, when you have a guy (Mathews) playing behind him who can shoot? On the other hand, Mathews doesn’t handle the ball very well, can’t drive to the basket and finish worth a darn, and doesn’t play very good defense.

As to starting Wallace at a wing or small forward, that position still demands that the player be a shooter, a scorer, which Wallace is not. Wallace is a much better rebounder than Bird, and a much better defender.

So Wallace is perhaps your best returning player at all three positions, but it would not take much work over the summer for Bird, Mathews, or Singer to pass up the Wallace we know and take over most of his minutes at any of the three positions, IMO. Of course, that would mean Wallace himself had not improved over the summer, and we know that he probably will have improved. What you have here is four guys who all have different skills, and we are lucky that we don’t have four guys who have only offensive skills or only defensive skills. They are all very lacking in certain skills, and it will be a question of what the game situation calls for, and the matchups, as to who gets the call, the better offensive player, or the better defensive player, and so forth. And it will depend a lot on how much each player has improved over the summer as to who gets the starting nod at each of the three spots.
Shocky1
stivo;842345668 said:

Look, we've all found ourselves on a beautiful hiking trail with our favorite dog, and there is NOTHING to be ashamed of. You don't have to pretend that you're better than the rest of us. Go bears!

dinner at scomas#
Shocky1
"win as many basketball games as possible by recruiting low gpa/character non student athletes who fight both on and off the court and also assault women as long as they don't make any meaningful academic progress while in eugene"

this is oregon basketball#
just do it#

HoopDreams
brothers

Shocky1

yanni hufnagel told me that one of the major goals of the cal basketball program is for all players to either walk across the stage at radio city musical hall during the nba draft and/or walk across the stage at the university of california, berkeley's graduation cermoney

who knew but huf is also the saxophone player for m83, check out his crazy azz sax solo during midnight city
[video=youtube;vNEbsZ3IcH4][/video]

this is cal basketball#
bear2034
Fiat Lux.
Go Bears!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3530[/ATTACH]
Shocky1
shareef abdur rahim (the 2nd oldest of 12 children from marietta georgia) was a hs all american...during his one season for the bears rahim avg 21.1 ppg, 8.4 rpg & was named pac 10 mvp of the yr, the 1st freshman to ever win that award...shareef had a 3.5 gpa that yr

rahim was the 3rd pick of the 1996 nba draft, played 13 seasons in the league with a career 18.1 ppg average & $100+m in nba contracts

shareef met the girl of his dreams delicia in berkeley & today they fund/manage the futures foundation which provides after school & other support services for at risk youth in atlanta..."dee dee" is also a cal grad & a practicing attorney along with being a mom, entrepreneur & philanthropist

in may of 2012 shareef graduated from cal 16 yrs later with a 3.8 gpa & a degree is sociology...rahim is currently the director of player personnel for the sacramento kings on his quest to becoming a nba general manager

cal is a dream school...check out the interview video with shareef http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/former-california-one-and-done-star-shareef-abdur-rahim-graduates-with-degree/

shareef abdur rahim ain't a dumb azz...shareef got the girl, the nba $100+m, the cal degree & a promising future

cal family#
50 yr decision#
HoopDreams
Haanif Cheatham would super charge Cal's fast break offense

First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.