cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,503 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Vineyardview
How long do you want to ignore this user?
atoms;842359216 said:

Wait, how are they going to add 2 more players, exactly? With 4 commits in the 2015 class, they're already 2 over their scholarship limit, right? Does that mean they're expecting FOUR underclassmen to go to the NBA after this season or something? Or are they going to force some kids to transfer?

Arizona will lose at least 4 maybe more underclass players from the team.
parentswerebears
I panic not, for in Martin I Trust. We are still in it with some biggies. If they don't close on a couple of them, then they will lose some of my trust. Most important, get Ivan.
MoragaBear
Staff
parentswerebears;842359071 said:

That sounds very nice. Wish we weren't a long shot.

Cal's not a longshot with Dorsey at all. They're squarely in the race for him. Their in-home with him went very well, too.

As noted by others, Comanche was not recruited by the current Cal staff. Commanche and Rabb were not going to play in the same frontcourt and they're all in with Rabb (and doing very well).
parentswerebears
MoragaBear;842359291 said:

Cal's not a longshot with Dorsey at all. They're squarely in the race for him. Their in-home with him went very well, too.

As noted by others, Comanche was not recruited by the current Cal staff. Commanche and Rabb were not going to play in the same frontcourt and they're all in with Rabb (and doing very well).

Well, that is good news and happily contrary to what someone else said on here. How are we doing with Swanigan? The three of them could (along with who we already have) propel us upward! That would be awesome.
NVBear78
If Commanche and Rabb are not going to play together and Commanche just committed to Arizona does that mean Arizona is out the running for Rabb??

MoragaBear;842359291 said:

MoragaBear
Staff
Things are very strong with Swanigan. He's likely a spring signee so it won't be decided soon but he'll be taking an official to Cal and the Bears have a reasonable shot at him.

As for Rabb, I highly doubt he'll end up at Arizona and still think he'll play at Cal in the end but we'll see.
Shocky1

shhhhh, don't tell nobody but the bears basketball staff is also actually the group souls of mischief from east oakland

http://vimeo.com/45797764

yanni not in this foto because he was doing a sound check

this is cal basketball#
vampire weekend#
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.23349/title.souls-of-mischief-s-tajai-reacts-to-vampire-weekend-s-step-interpolation
Shocky1

aaron rodgers=highest paid quarterback in the nfl

cal family#
photobomber#
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842359346 said:

aaron rodgers=highest paid quarterback in the nfl

photobomber#

Butte JC guy, right?
parentswerebears
Bobodeluxe;842359402 said:

Butte JC guy, right?

Chico people are really proud to be from/ of Chico.
ianbearnson
since 8/27, 8 different writers have updated their ivan rabb prediction on the 247sports crystal ball page...

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Ivan-Rabb-at-Bishop-O-Dowd-32848/CurrentExpertPredictions

of course, this site has no credibility until MoragaBear and/or Shocky get to start submitting their own predictions
Shocky1
the california golden bears are actively targeting 2015 top 25 6'4" 180s lbs scoring machine tyler dorsey

dorsey made a decommitment to arizona after he was cut from the usa basketball under 18 basketball team by assistant coach sean miller...the wildcats staff envisioned tyler playing strictly the 2 despite his interest & ability to be multiple

last season at st john bosco (he knows the charismatic bryce treggs) tyler averaged 21.4 ppg, 6 rpg & 4.7 apg with a solid 3.3 gpa

a native of pasadena, dorsey will transfer back home to marantha for his sr season

tyler has offers (with a list that continues to grow) from national powerhouses but in terms of staying on the west coast (and playing against arizona in the pac 12) & playing for a hc who develops combo guard talent at the #1 ranked public university in the world, the bears will be a serious player particularly if ivan decides to join him in berkeley

cuonzo & co had td's first in home visit with coaches on sept 9th

according to tyler's mentor thru the recruiting process dinos trignos (a longtime respected aau coach for belmont shore), dorsey will make official visits to cal, kansas, colorado (next weekend), asu & oregon along with an unofficial visit to unlv...only one of these colleges is in california (airfare to all of these schools other than unlv is expensive from lax) & is an academically world ranked university

cal family#

petalumabear
parentswerebears;842359431 said:

chico people are really proud to be from/ of chico.

i was in chico on saturday night and sunday am. The weekly (in season) arodg parade down the esplanade was in full force.
Shocky1

jb represented cal at the kevin durant skills academy as one of the top 15 collegiate wings in the nation

jabari particpated at the adidas nations in long beach with this write up from callege basketball talk

"one of the players i wanted to see the most this week was cal sophmore wing jabari bird...the 6 foot 6 bird started the week slowly but came on strong during the final day of games on sunday...bird finally seemed more comfortable hunting his own offense and his jumper seemed to be more consistent as well...bird also rebounded the ball well from the wing and was engaged on the defensive end while battling some higher profile wings...the sophmore will be an interesting player to watch this season under bears' first year coach cuonzo martin and this week seemed like a step in the right direction for him going into year two in the pac 12"

nbadraft.net had a different take

"until sunday morning bird had had zero impact at nations...in fact his teammate and less heralded jordan mathews was having a better camp...bird is a strong leaper but his handles aren't where they need to be for a nba wing and he takes poor angles when he is attacking opponents off the dribble, making it appear he has a slow first step...because of how wide he dribbles the ball, on several occasions he either dribbled it off his foot or his opponent's foot...his jumper seemed a little flat and there was definite inconsistency in it's release...he was eager the pass to the post but tends to take too long to decide what he is going to do with the ball slowing down the tempo and flow of the game...he had a spectacular dunk on sunday dunking with two hands in the morning session...he also made quicker decisons and as a result had more success...foot speed, laterally in particular, is a concern with him"

even nelly (who looks like my favorite yoga teacher) knows that the bird must fly

detailed analysis of jabari's game on the draftexpress...a nba organization is a client of mine & they've told me that the development of a potential draft prospect's offensive game will not raise the valuation of a player if on the defensive end they are burned for 35+ points a night & don't rebound...internet scouting evaluations tend to focus on offensive skills which isn't how teams in the billion dollar nba biz prioritize draft prospects
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jabari-Bird-6467/

Shocky1
2015 asu commit jordan washington was arrested last week & charged with theft...washington is currently attending the indian hills community college (he barely graduated from high school in queens)...his booking charges include shoplifting from the ottumwa walmart the dvd of the curse of chucky (not to be confused with the curse of shocky)

i dunno, maybe jordan's defense attorney is gonna claim that his theft is related to his academic film studies of great american movies?

cal & asu ain't recruiting from the same academic & character talent pool that's for sure

Shocky1
as i wait here for my flight to the carribean islands with tommy (he's also played the world top 100 golf courses) as invited raters to check out their candidate courses (and beaches) for the upcoming golf magazine world top 100 list, now is a good time to tell you about the worst thing i ever did at cal

this ain't gonna be a pretty story

yeah, i graduated with the gold phi beta kappa key, etc. but that doesn't mean my unvarnished blind ambition didn't cause me to do stuff that was wrong

so i wrote a paper for bibliography 128, children's literature, and in rereading it felt it was a technically sound paper but that it lacked interest for the reader...so i totally fabricated & included the following opening paragraph:

"I must confess that I was made uneasy to see Anne Franks's The Diary of a Young Girl on the reading list for this class. Seeing the title on the list raised several burning questions in my mind. Why had I never read this famous book? Why had my father (after a heated and lengthy debate with my mother behind closed doors) removed this work off my bookshelf as a child? It seemed to me that the answers to these questions were somehow linked to my now deceased grandfather. Although my parents never talk about him, I remembered from various bits of information pieced together that Grandpa was a figure of dubious distinction in Hitler's brass during WWII. So I was forced to think. Why were my parents, particularly my father, so reluctant to talk about my grandfather? Could the answers to my grandfather's cloudy role in Germany during WWII be found in The Diary of a Young Girl which was so mysteriously taken off my bookshelf as a child?''

and i also rewrote the following closing paragraph:

"But despite her difficult and sometimes cruel life, Anne Frank did not feel sorry for herself and she never gave up. This is a worthwhile message for both adults and children alike. All in all, The Diary of a Young Girl is a sensitive, well written, and compelling self-portrait of a brave and spirited young girl, that at least for me, will always hold a special place on my bookshelf."

absolutely none of this is true...although i have a german last name, nobody in my family has ever had any connections with any racist groups...i grew up in a culturally mixed family that celebrates individuality & diversity...my dad's sister met her jewish husband while they both were at cal

so what did my teachers say in grading the paper?

the professor: "This a fine review, not only perceptive in its commentary but in itself very well written. I hope you will keep on writing, perhaps professionally? A+"

the teaching assistant: "Your paper was very perceptive and moving because the book had a great impact on you. Though you did not generalize about non-fiction, you approached this particular book in a sensitive and understanding way. Thank you for sharing this highly personal and emotional reaction-it was very important for me personally as an Isreali jew, well versed in the literature of the holocaust, to read your reaction to the subject. The book has made you think, grow up, seek further information, and if it has instilled in you the determination not to let the horrible and shameful history repeat itself, then it has served the purpose Anne's father had when he published her diary. A+"

i'm a flawed person but i know i need to set the record straight even if it means that i'm gonna flunk the class so i go to the ta's office hours

i walk in the door & i'm blown away...she (mid to late 20s) is the cutest girl on earth (petite but curvy brunette with sparkling eyes & a dazzling smile) & we talk/laugh for about an hour about our favorite authors, recent concerts & the personalities of dogs...but i never tell her my paper is full of ****, i can't stand the thought of her hating me so quickly

so i ask her if she would like to go bike riding with me at muir woods & stinson beach that weekend (with the idea that i would tell her the truth & also see her in a bikini) & she tells me she would love to go out with me but that the university code of professional standards does not allow teachers to date students

i don't give up that easily so i suggest we bring our dogs, surely there can be no policy against our dogs hanging out together, right?

she looks at me with sad eyes & tells me "this isn't going to happen, it can't happen" and we say our goodbyes

fast forward to this summer & i take my daughters shay & taylor to anne frank's house in amsterdam...i write & leave a note to both anne frank & the teacher's assistant apologizing for my actions

shocky is a ******* dumb azz#
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jy6u_bread-aubrey_music
HoopDreams
ESPN talks about standout players in these 2014 tourneys/camps, with this about 6-4 guard Brandon Sampson...

Las Vegas Fab 48:
"he was at his best creating space with the dribble and launching jump shots from the mid-range to the 3-point line"

Stephen Curry skills camp:
"Sampson is a long and talented wing who had excellent touch and body control on his floater"

Pangos All-American camp:
"Sampson might have had the most upside of any scoring guard in the camp. The lengthy scorer has a feathery shooting touch with range out to 23 feet. He threw down a couple of Vince Carter-type dunks in transition as well"

Under Armour Invitational:
"Sampson has Jeremy Lamb-esque length with deep shooting range. He finishes above the rim on the break with flair. He can handle and is quick off the bounce. He has touch and body control on the floater and can find the open man when he draws a second and third defender"

247sports:

Shocky1
theo robertson, cal's director of basketball operations last season & the bear's most efficient 3 point shooter in history, told me yesterday that he's signed a contract with the golden state warriors

theo's duties will include video responsibilities & on court work too

both robertson & travis decuire worked tirelessly to recruit ivan rabb before cuonzo martin & his staff arrived in berkeley

looking forward to seeing theo at haas this season

cal family#
theo in the nba#

Shocky1
15th of september, 2014
baton rouge, louisiana-brandon sampson

16th of september, 2014
seattle, washington-matisse thybulle

cal basketball never sleeps#
tim94501
Shocky1;842360053 said:

theo robertson, cal's director of basketball operations last season & the bear's most efficient 3 point shooter in history, told me yesterday that he's signed a contract with the golden state warriors

theo's duties will include video responsibilities & on court work too

both robertson & travis decuire worked tirelessly to recruit ivan rabb before cuonzo martin & his staff arrived in berkeley

looking forward to seeing theo at haas this season

cal family#
theo in the nba#

Played soldiers with theo in like 02 he's a great guy.
Vineyardview
Will Brandon Sampson hold off till spring to commit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon Sampson, a 6-foot-4, 175-pound shooting guard from Baton Rouge (LA) Madison, is in the middle of in-home visits while also planning several officials.

Sampson met with California Monday and is planning an official visit there.

USC comes in Tuesday (today), while Oklahoma State and Texas A&M are also expected.

St. John's coach Steve Lavin came in last Friday. "He got a chance to meet coach Lav, liked Coach Lav a lot," Sampson's high school coach, Jeff Jones. "Got a chance to see him and talk with him." Sampson plans to take an official to St. John's next month. "He's going to try to come up for the Midnight Madness on the 17th," Jones said.

Jones said Sampson won't decide until late. "We're going to wait until the spring," he said. "Watch some of the basketball season and see what happens."

Link: Zags Blog - Brandon Sampson Status
parentswerebears
Going to have to wait until the spring to know what our freshman class is going to look like. Boo
NYCGOBEARS
parentswerebears;842360195 said:

Going to have to wait until the spring to know what our freshman class is going to look like. Boo

Spring is when hope blooms.
concordtom
NYCGOBEARS;842360206 said:

Spring is when hope blooms.

Let's hope it's not a "silent spring".
MoragaBear
Staff
Like I tell people in chat, put on your big boy pants and strap in for the ride.
Shocky1
who knew that huf is also the lead singer for future islands?...he's gonna put his name in bold

sunset yoga de la playa#
da bares#

yoshibear
MoragaBear;842360243 said:

Like I tell people in chat, put on your big boy pants and strap in for the ride.

Doesn't this suggest that it is time for a new Monster Class thread?
MoragaBear
Staff
Things have to break right to be a monster class but no one ever added a day to their life by fretting and worrying. As we all know, it's usually the opposite.

I'll tell you for certain, though: None of their top targets are shot in the dark, spray and pray recruitments.
parentswerebears
MoragaBear;842360300 said:

Things have to break right to be a monster class but no one ever added a day to their life by fretting and worrying. As we all know, it's usually the opposite.

I'll tell you for certain, though: None of their top targets are shot in the dark, spray and pray recruitments.

Moraga,
You always reveal just enough info to wet our whistles, but not so much that you blow the surprise. You both infuriate and make me excited!
Go Bears!
Shocky1
congrats to ricky kreklow graduating from the university of california, berkeley this summer with a degree in interdisciplinary studies

who are these california golden bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (currently playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow*-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
christian behrens-3.5 gpa@tahoma
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion-4.1 gpa@washington
dwight tarwater-3.9 gpa@webb school

*graduated from cal joining 2012 grads bak bak, brandon smith & robert thurman

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract...hopefully the bears' future nba players will eventually return to cal like former nba all star shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to graduate...both justin cobbs & richard solomon have one remaining semester of schoolwork necessary to earn their cal degrees

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with duke, stanford, the ivy leagues & the service academies

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

cal family#
50 yr decision#
this is cal basketball#

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) and legitimate collegiate institutions of higher learning with an academic purpose

academic ambition

don't be a dumb azz#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
concordtom
MoragaBear;842360243 said:

Oh, I'm ready for it, baby.
I'd rather go for broke and lose than be middling with this cal basketball recruiting game.
Be in it to win it.
parentswerebears
concordtom;842360442 said:

Oh, I'm ready for it, baby.
I'd rather go for broke and lose than be middling with this cal basketball recruiting game.
Be in it to win it.

1. Tom, you are to come nowhere near my money.
2. I think we win it. And make a killing.
LOUMFSG2
Interesting tweet by Caleb Swanigan, retweeted by Rabb:

Ivan Rabb retweeted
Caleb Swanigan ‏@Biggs_Swanigan 19h
A lot of other recruits commit makes you feel pressured to rush your decision but you gotta stay poised #businessdecision
Vineyardview
Vineyardview;842360191 said:

Will Brandon Sampson hold off till spring to commit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon Sampson, a 6-foot-4, 175-pound shooting guard from Baton Rouge (LA) Madison, is in the middle of in-home visits while also planning several officials.

Sampson met with California Monday and is planning an official visit there.

USC comes in Tuesday (today), while Oklahoma State and Texas A&M are also expected.

St. John's coach Steve Lavin came in last Friday. "He got a chance to meet coach Lav, liked Coach Lav a lot," Sampson's high school coach, Jeff Jones. "Got a chance to see him and talk with him." Sampson plans to take an official to St. John's next month. "He's going to try to come up for the Midnight Madness on the 17th," Jones said.

Jones said Sampson won't decide until late. "We're going to wait until the spring," he said. "Watch some of the basketball season and see what happens."

Link: Zags Blog - Brandon Sampson Status

Adam Zagoria ‏tweets, "2015 G Brandon Sampson will take officials to Cal 9/26 & St. John's 10/17, "
Shocky1

you go, girl#

mo'ne davis told reporters during the little league world series that someday she would like to play for the perennial national champs women's basketball connecticut huskies

so uconn hc geno auriemma called mo'ne to offer her props & encouragement & now it's been ruled a ncca illegal recruiting contact violation

where's the love?#
First Page Last Page
Page 111 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.