cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,556 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey shockster. How about a couple of DumbAzz guys from Coalinga pulling off the Kentucky Derby. Only problem is they only brought 2-1.
oski003
It says $7.00 win. That means 3.5/1 right? I'm legitimately asking. I bet $25 for CA Chrome to win.

Dammit! Now people know I ain't no MEB baller
NVGolfingBear
OdontoBear66;842312478 said:

Hey shockster. How about a couple of DumbAzz guys from Coalinga pulling off the Kentucky Derby. Only problem is they only brought 2-1.

Hey careful. One of those dumbazz guys lives in Nevada down near Topaz Lake about 75 miles south of Sparks. Retired Army, lives in a manufactured home and works everyday in Gardnerville for a company with 13 employees. Looking for a tax write off, he thought about buying a plane but that cost too much so he invests some $3900 in a partnership for a filly that eventually does nothing. The partnership wants to sell out so a California dude near Coalinga and the Army vet decide to buy them out for $8000, then breed it with a 10 yr old stud for $2,000.

A few years later they turn down $6,000,000 Before the Derby! People told they them they would be Dumb Azzes to get into the horse business. The California owner sez "Well, I guess we're a couple of Dumb Azzs Partner" hence DAP Racing.

One in a Trillion? Good for them except he still did not solve his problem of a tax write-off!
OdontoBear66
NVGolfingBear;842312484 said:

Hey careful. One of those dumbazz guys lives in Nevada down near Topaz Lake about 75 miles south of Sparks. Retired Army, lives in a manufactured home and works everyday in Gardnerville for a company with 13 employees. Looking for a tax write off, he thought about buying a plane but that cost too much so he invests some $3900 in a partnership for a filly that eventually does nothing. The partnership wants to sell out so a California dude near Coalinga and the Army vet decide to buy them out for $8000, then breed it with a 10 yr old stud for $2,000.

A few years later they turn down $6,000,000 Before the Derby! People told they them they would be Dumb Azzes to get into the horse business. The California owner sez "Well, I guess we're a couple of Dumb Azzs Partner" hence DAP Racing.

One in a Trillion? Good for them except he still did not solve his problem of a tax write-off!

Can't imagine they are too worried about taxes tonight. They are cashing in on a lotto like ticket that feels real good for a couple of DumbAzzes
Shocky1
shockster betting tip sheet: the fastest ponies got good wheels

NVGolfingBear
Shocky1;842312499 said:

shockster betting tip sheet: the fastest ponies got good wheels

Nice Shocky!

We're looking at a minimum of $3,000 to shoe those fillies, more than the stud fee that gave us 'kal krone'.
Shocky1
1) cuonzo grew up in east st louis, one of the most dangerous cities in the united states

nobody has ever confused east st louis with north scottsdale

2) gene keady stated that in his 55 yrs of coaching nobody every implemented halftime adjustments with his teammates like cuonzo before the coaches got into the locker room

3) cuonzo beat non-hodgkins lymphoma, a life threatening cancer at age 26

4) dude played in the nba...why is the bear's hc playing with his junk in public?...does cuonzo think he's invisible or what?...does #50 know how to tie his shoelaces or did the team just get him velcro closing shoes in order to keep it simple for him?

5) despite 35,000 tennessee fans signing a petition demanding his removal (until they made it into the sweet sixteen), he ignored them & focused on his players & the tasks at hand (going to classes & winning basketball games)

6) cuonzo ain't afraid to express himself...wondering what will be the seismic earthquake reading in berkeley if jabari continues to nonchalantly float back on d with martin on the sidelines?...mrs bird seems like a nice lady, somebody better cover her ears if that happens

7) cuonzo doesn't concern himself with criticism (kinda like the shockster)

8) cuonzo ain't afraid to express himself to the blind & deaf

bottom line, the recent recruiting decisions/roster gameplan strategy make it clear that cuonzo isn't gonna be beggin' anybody to play d & rebound for the california golden bears
HoopDreams
sorry, Shockster. Gotta call you on this one...
you got the wrong man. That dude is Antonio Harvey:

can't comment on Coach Martin's luggage however....

Shocky1;842312546 said:

dude played in the nba...why is the bear's hc playing with his junk in public?...does cuonzo think he's invisible or what?

cuonzo doesn't need a bellhop to carry his luggage (tho that 2 wheelie girlie man trolley is pretty sorry azz weak)

bottom line, the recent recruiting decisions/roster gameplan strategy make it clear that cuonzo isn't gonna be beggin' anybody to play d & rebound for the california golden bears

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842312597 said:

sorry, Shockster. Gotta call you on this one...
you got the wrong man. That dude is Antonio Harvey:

can't comment on Coach Martin's luggage however....

vancouver grizzlies foto, left to right:

#17 chris king, #40 cuonzo martin/antonio havery, #2 greg anthony, #50 bryant "big country" reeves & #4 bryon scott

i tend to agree with you that #40 is 6'11" antonio harvey as he is almost the same height as 7' bryant reeves in the foto...cuonzo is 6'5"

but how do you explain this jersey?

Shocky1
cal has spent the last week working to put together a financially attractive compensation package for 30 yr old recruiting superstar yanni hufnagel

if this comes to fruition, will be interested in the feedback from sam singer (who turned down a harvard offer for cal)

a cal bb staff with 4 relentless recruiters?

this **** is getting live

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/yanni_hufnagel_846621.html

concordtom
Why did Yanni leave Harvard for Vandy and why would he want to leave Vandy?
atoms
Harvard isn't D-1, doesn't even offer scholarships. Pac-12 is a better conference, or maybe he just likes the West Coast/Bay Area, or the direction of the program, and maybe we gave him a raise. I'm sure he knows Cuonzo from being in the same state and league.
emanbears24
atoms;842312671 said:

Harvard isn't D-1, doesn't even offer scholarships. Pac-12 is a better conference, or maybe he just likes the West Coast/Bay Area, or the direction of the program, and maybe we gave him a raise. I'm sure he knows Cuonzo from being in the same state and league.

Harvard definitely is D-1, and they do provide scholarships.
R.Hobbs
No athletic scholarships are offered at any of the Ivies .
TheSouseFamily
emanbears24;842312673 said:

Not athletic scholarships. Yes, many athletes get other forms of financial aid including scholarships but it's entirely driven by the financial aid office, not the athletic department. Athletes are treated exactly like any other students when it comes to this.
emanbears24
R.Hobbs;842312675 said:

No athletic scholarships are offered at any of the Ivies .

Agreed, but most athletes get "need-based" scholarships, which have been expanded over the last few years to cover families with larger incomes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sports/financial-aid-changes-game-as-sports-teams-in-ivies-rise.html?_r=0
manus
Yanni Hufnagel is the "real deal." What a First Chair coach/coaching staff Cal has.
mikecohen
concordtom
Today, 05:32 PM

A very interesting question. Answer has to be to come here, to join Cuanzo, or both; and, if so, what about here (since Cuanzo's virtues are already extremely well defined)
Shocky1
6'7" 185 lb 2015 4 star cameron walker & his dad eric ("my wife and i are big on the education front") will be visiting berkeley for an unofficial visit on june 26th

with an academically focused 4.0 gpa at righetti hs in santa maria, walker is the perfect cal fit as an elite true student athlete & high flying impact player at the 3...cameron is a humble & team oriented player just like the bears last small forward nba draft pick alan crabbe

cameron has already been offered by most of the pac 12 (including ucla & usc) and says "the academics are always the back up plan...if i don't play basketball professionally, i'm always going to fall back on my grades to have a good career"

cuonzo martin has reached out to cameron walker & made it clear to his family that he's a huge recruiting priority for the new staff to scout in person & develop relationships

with ricky kreklow graduating after next season & jabari bird's nba skill set best suited to the 2, the bears need to close on a blue chip wing for 2015

stephen domingo (3.4 gpa at saint ignatius, recruited by harvard, top 30 hs talent who passed up his sr yr of hs to go to georgetown) was an identified transfer candidate by the prior staff but he will transfer to stanford...domingo's commitment to stanford (will need to sit out next season with then 2 yrs of eligibility remaining) will likely made palo alto a less likely destination for walker

check out this redunkulous block

cuonzo martin & tracy webster recently visited cameron, mom patricia (school teacher) & dad eric at their santa maria home & reconfirmed an official actionable offer for the elite 4.0 gpa wing

jon harris scouted each of cameron's games at the adidas gauntlet tnt in dallas

dad eric speaks highly of their former vanderbilt/harvard lead recruiter, yanni hufnagel

4>1
sluggo_Cal
Stop. This is going to make it even worse when he goes to Stanford.

Sluggo
Shocky1
sluggo_Cal;842312713 said:

Stop. This is going to make it even worse when he goes to Stanford.

Sluggo

"yeah, sluggo thinks cameron's going to stanford, why do i have to keep an eye on him?...more importantly, what time is our tee time at the o club this afternoon, are we gonna walk 36?"

sluggo, your scouting cameron walker at the riordan tnt around xmas sent exponential waves of bears energy thru the walker family & forever changed his recruitment

in life you are either part of the solution or you are part of the problem

you are part of the solution, you got involved

if cw commits to cal you will be able to claim him as your player to infinity & beyond, his glory will become your glory...this is written in the stars

sluggo=javert

the power of the people

people's republic of berkeley#
atoms
emanbears24;842312673 said:

Yeah, that's my bad, I replied in haste on my phone and was imprecise in my language. The Ivies aren't in the top division in football, but there are like 350 "Division I" teams in basketball. My point is that they're not a power conference school. They don't provide athletic scholarships as someone pointed out, and I believe there are no preferential admissions for athletes, either. So it's not really the same playing field as a major conference school like Cal or Vandy.
GoldenBear1
We are all in

And why not? As the greatest University in the world in the Greatest location in the world we should attract talent and excel.

Very exciting potential for the program

Time to sit back and enjoy spring recruiting!

Go Bears
TheSouseFamily
mikecohen;842312692 said:

concordtom
Today, 05:32 PM

A very interesting question. Answer has to be to come here, to join Cuanzo, or both; and, if so, what about here (since Cuanzo's virtues are already extremely well defined)

I'm guessing it's because Vandy has their benches along the baseline. I mean, seriously...who does that?
south bender
And the farmer hauled another load away...

Go Bears!
Shocky1
christian behrens rocked a 3.5 gpa (he ain't a stoopid dumb azz) & served on the school leadership team at tahoma hs in washington before bringing his 30' vj & 80' wingspan to berkeley

what you may not know about christian behrens is that his dad bj died at their maple valley home following a 16 month battle against brain cancer in the early hours of feb 19, 2010...he had turned 53 the month prior and was known for his bravery & great sense of humor

christian has said of his father "i know he's looking down at me...i know he's proud and that's what i'm trying to do every day in what i do, make him proud"

there can be no doubt that bj, mom andrea & sister rachel are very proud of christian who has also fought back from 2 serious knee surgeries

next time you're at a bears game, make sure that you recognize and celebrate christian behrens & the road less traveled he's taken in life

bj & christian behrens

gregg gottlieb told me "i thought christian played a large role in winning at stanford...he impacted the game with his defense and rebounding at both ends of the court...with david and richard in foul trouble it allowed us to sustain our momentum...if he continues to bring that to the table he will earn more minutes"

christian behrens has no quit in him, he is relentless...he has stared down tragedy more than once and perservered

christian behrens is truly unbreakable & a great teammate

"tough work out today, but wouldn't want it any other way...gotta get better"

-christian behrens after 1st workout with new bears staff

cal family#
the fast & furious#
R.Hobbs
Great teams always have guys like Christian , who have overcome life's adversities , to lead the others , by their example, through the ups and downs of a college career.
Bobodeluxe
south bender;842312745 said:

And the farmer hauled another load away...

Go Bears!

That, and private high schools don't recruit.

:rollinglaugh:
Shocky1

"coaches, i'm going to outwork you today!!! #the season never ends"

-travis decuire

"td ain't some candy azz stoopid dumb azz"

-annonymous bears fan

with the firing of craig robinson, oregon state will likely take a serious look at travis decuire as the next hc of the beavers

if that happens, look for theo robertson & ken bone to join td on the osu bench
Shocky1
during labor day weekend of 2010 tony woods beat the crap out of his girlfriend in front of their 8 month old child...woods was arrested and charged with three counts of assault for kicking and pushing courney lorel barbout who suffered a fracture of her spine in the attack

against the 6'11" 250 lbs woods, courney had no chance to protect herself

wake forest did the right thing and suspended woods

so oregon's sleazeball mbb hc dana altman recruited woods to shore up the ducks interior defense

steve alford & dana altman are enablers of players that commit crimes of violence against women if it means they might win a few more games

dana altman is once again relying upon 6 transfers for the ducks 2013 season...2 of these transfers are srs: mike moser & jason calliste

the 2 sr transfers are not student athletes in any sense of the word...moser & calliste will arrive in the fall & then depart that spring with zero academic progress and/or achievement...they are like transients

beyond devaluing the already shaky oregon degree (which is considered a jc caliber education with its 90+% acceptance rate), those players that have worked within the bb program for several yrs are recruited over & benched in favor of guys who don't even know where the library is in eugene

so who else did altman recruit for the 2013 ducks?

*elgin cook, declared ineligible during hs in milwaukee for having a gpa under 2.0
http://themilwaukeedrum.com/2011/02/13/the-tragedy-of-elgin-cook-other-mps-black-student-athletes/

*jordan bell from lbp was declared ineligible before the school yr & will not join the roster until next season

*christiano felicio from brazil was declared ineligible by the ncaa after attending a roseville "prep school" handpicked by altman that is facing allegations of academic fraud & child abuse
http://fox40.com/2013/01/10/roseville-prep-academy-coach-arrested-for-physical-abuse/

bottom line
*****a cal degree helps you move forward in life & marry the girl of your dreams
*an oregon degree helps you get hired as the night shift supervisor at the truck stop in medford & probably marrying a lot lizard

just do it#

update from eugene:

*mike moser, jason caliste, johnathan lloyd, richard amardi & waverly austin used up their eligiblity...not clear if any of them will ever earn an oregon diploma

*ben carter, suspended along with dominic artis for selling team issued shoes/gear, transfered to unlv

*a.j. lapray transferred to pepperdine

*brandon austin, 2.6 gpa in philly, was suspended from the providence basketball team after being charged with a sexual assault of a female student...he immediately was recruited & transferred to oregon...he is currently not participating in team activities...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student

*jacquan lyle, 2.5 gpa & was suspended for fighting in hs, is a 2014 oregon commit but is not likely to be declared academically eligible by the ncaa

*damyean dotson, suspended during the season for trying to use a fake id at a bar, considering transferring & currently not participating in team activities...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student

*dominic artis will be transferring from oregon...dominic attended cal's last pac 12 home game at haas vs usc...i was speaking with his former hs ad at salesian chad nightingale (played wr for the bears) when da came over & said hello, it was clear to me that he wanted to speak privately with chad...recently named in the rape of an oregon female student

this is oregon basketball#
Vandalus
Shocky1;842312833 said:

*dominic artis will be transferring from oregon...dominic attended cal's last pac 12 home game at haas vs usc...i was speaking with his former hs ad at salesian chad nightingale (played wr for the bears) when da came over & said hello, it was clear to me that he wanted to speak privately with chad

If I may, as I recall it was the NIT game against Arkansas that we ran into DA while speaking to Nightingale. Oregon had just exited the tournament 2 days prior... Interestingly, oregon gear was nowhere to be found.
Shocky1
Vandalus;842313015 said:

If I may, as I recall it was the NIT game against Arkansas that we ran into DA while speaking to Nightingale. Oregon had just exited the tournament 2 days prior... Interestingly, oregon gear was nowhere to be found.

yeah, vandalus is right about the date (we sat center court on the floor in goldman's seats next to bill "grateful dead" walton & roxy)...leave it to an attorney to remember a conversation with razor sharp clarity

so how did the bears not sign a local kid (salesian, coached by former cal bb team mgr bill mellis) with blazing speed (fastest guard in the pac 12 with asu's carson) with a strong gpa (3.6)?

travis decuire's dad told me the following story at the washington game in seattle:

da is a well regarded local middle school kid & td encourages him to keep working harder, td thinks he's a fast & fearless kid for 5'

da attends cal's camp as a freshman & plays well but td is thinking, man, he's a player, sure wish he wasn't 5'3"...no cal offer

da attends cal's camp as a soph & lights is up but td is thinking, man, he's a player, sure wish he wasn't 5'6"...no cal offer

da attend cal's camp as a jr & blows the roof off haas...he's now pushing 6' so td extends an actionable cal offer

da tells td, where were you a few yrs ago & eventually signs with oregon

td's dad told me that travis learned a few valuable lessons from da's recruitment & that's a large part of why cal started offering players earlier since the inception of the monster class thread

blue chip bb recruiting is more like asking the dream girl to the prom than you think...you gotta trust your heart
Vandalus
Shocky1;842313030 said:

yeah, vandalus is right about the date (we sat center court on the floor in goldman's seats next to bill "grateful dead" walton & roxy)...leave it to an attorney to remember a conversation with razor sharp clarity

so how did the bears not sign a high character (other than the nike shoes & gear selling suspension) local kid (salesian, coached by former cal bb team mgr bill mellis) with blazing speed (fastest guard in the pac 12 with asu's carson) with a strong gpa (3.6)?

travis decuire's dad told me the following story at the washington game in seattle:

da is a well regarded local middle school kid & td encourages him to keep working harder, td thinks he's a fast & fearless kid for 5'

da attends cal's camp as a freshman & plays well but td is thinking, man, he's a player, sure wish he wasn't 5'3"...no cal offer

da attends cal's camp as a soph & lights is up but td is thinking, man, he's a player, sure wish he wasn't 5'6"...no cal offer

da attend cal's camp as a jr & blows the roof off haas...he's now pushing 6' so td extends an actionable cal offer

da tells td, where were you a few yrs ago & eventually signs with oregon

td's dad told me that travis learned a few valuable lessons from da's recruitment & that's a large part of why cal started offering players earlier since the inception of the monster class thread

blue chip bb recruiting is more like asking the dream girl to the prom than you think...you gotta trust your heart

I figure that was a .2 to be deducted from the retainer. Anything to keep my clients happy.

To extend the analogy, it sounds like recruiting is like asking a girl to her senior prom when she's still a freshman and not quite fully "developed" but showing signs of great potential and really hoping that your earlier projection was a good one. Truthfully though, not only can a lot change athletically, it seems to me that character/grade issues can swing wildly in those intervening years as well. It's a tricky business for sure.
Shocky1
welcome stephen domingo and his parents kirsten bibbins-domingo & patrick domingo to the cal family

at a late in the season meb fund breakfast (i did not attend but other meb guys kept me updated) mike montgomery indicated that stephen domingo was an identified transfer prospect & that jakob poeltl was basically a silent commit (still needed to complete the necessary cal international student application process)

domingo was rated as a top 30 prospect & had actionable offers from arizona, louisville, harvard (yanni), stanford, etc. after blowing up in summertime aau ball...his blue chip offer lists suggests elite potential talent & skillsets

the decision to forego his sr yr of hs to enroll at georgetown surprised the st ignatius staff as they were not consulted & there were questions re: how he could matriculate in college without a hs degree

the 6'6" domingo played hs ball at 190 & is now 206 lbs but still needs significant s&c strength to play in cuonzo martin's up tempo intense d/rebounding system

stephen is considered a likeable high character young man who was successful in hs speech contests & also earned a 3.4 gpa at the academically rigorous si

domingo is a pure scorer & will benefit from the blueshirt yr in building up his body, restoring his shooting confidence & practicing in a team concept (he focused more on aau ball than hs ball & then didn't play much at georgetown)

stephen is finishing up his coursework in washington, d.c. & will then arrive home this summer to begin the transition of becoming the bear's newest player

yeah, the san francisco native will also get more of mom's home cooking too

city by the bay#
atoms
I'm sure Shocky won't be surprised:

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/05/damyean_dotson_suspension_foll.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Oregon's Damyean Dotson is suspended following forcible rape investigation that won't lead to criminal charges
First Page Last Page
Page 88 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.