cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,272,625 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ivan, if you continue to become mentally stronger/unbreakable, further develop your already devastating post finishing moves, tirelessly work to achieve much needed (by nba standards) s&c strength & learn financial management skills along with a strong education re: real estate development, you have a unique opportunity to potentially live a very glamorous life

but like all athletes, your sports career could be over in a split second, a career ending injury in a blink of an eye...at that point you would need a world class education in order to still pursue & achieve your dreams in life

do you really think slick salesmen like john calipari, sean miller, steve alford or bill self would stay in touch with you if you had a serious injury or would they move on to their next all american prospect on speed dial?...cuonzo martin & his staff are men of integrity, they are truly mentors

your mom wants you to be happy & is therefore not going to impose her will on you, the college decision will be 100% your choice...you are free to pursue your dreams

but you know that deep down inside that tami wants her oldest son to stay home for college at cal, to stay close to her & your younger bro tamarik, to loudly/proudly cheer for you during your games at haas & then give you a bear hug after every game...she is a mom, she wants to keep her family together as long as possible, not endure a long distance relationship

when your mom owned & ran delancy's welcome table on park boulevard in the eastlake district your mom worked a million hours with the hope of creating better lives for both you & tamarik...and when biz hit a hard turn in the road, she did not give up that dream, she gave up the home & you all moved into the restaurant...the restaurant eventually closed but that's not because she didn't tirelessly work to try to make it happen, there is never any shame when we pursue our dreams & quests and come up a little short...and she never gave up & now her new restaurant is doing well & she is building an outstanding reputation for her sensational tasty dishes

regardless of your decision, ivan, your mom is gonna love you with all her heart

so it all really boils down to, what are your priorities in life, what is gonna be your legacy?

HoopDreams
Cal family enjoying the shootout at OK Corral, and big Cal football win...

HoopDreams
David "Doc" Kravish is the undisputed senior leader of this team

Here he is gunning down Arizona...

NYCGOBEARS
HoopDreams;842368807 said:

David "Doc" Kravish is the undisputed senior leader of this team

Here he is gunning down Arizona...

He will gladly be your Huckleberry.
HoopDreams
ESPN Top 50 recruit [SIZE=5]Brandon Sampson [/SIZE]was on campus yesterday with his family, on his official visit
Hope he took note of the beautiful campus and bay area day
And got a glimpse of the fun we were having a Memorial Stadium

Sampson hooping with the team in Haas...

Imagine Sampson on a fast break with Bird, Wallace, Matthews, Domingo, and Rabb
That combo would make some serious run...

Shocky1
[video=youtube;YXPoB0uVOFY][/video]

wake the **** up
Shocky1
MilleniaBear;842365142 said:

I eagled a Par 4 at tahoe this summer...does that count? And I don't like bananas.:axe

millenia, of course your eagle counts...congrats
Shocky1
a key date on the nor cal basketball schedule for the bears is saturday november 29th
http://norcalbasketball.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-nor-cal-tipoff-classic-in-late.html

bishop o'dowd's ivan "i love my mama" rabb & paris "city lights" austin

moreau catholic's oscar "the ringleader" frayer & damari "mr smooth" milstead

folsom's jordan "bulldog" ford

modesto christian's christian "trampoline" ellis & "dr" jeff wu (coach webster, this is the walk on candidate i recommended to you saturday, high character 3.5 gpa coached by former bear richard midgley)

salute#
Shocky1
noah blackwell, a 6'1" 180 lbs 2015 pg from woodcreek hs received a conditional offer from cuonzo martin & the cal staff after a strong performance at the 2014 nor cal clash...blackwell scored 17 pts on 8-16 fgs with 5 boards, 3 assists & only 1 turnover

dude has got a little justin cobbs in him, he's a crafty scorer that can also unselfishly distribute & facilitate his teammates with strong court vision & above average quickness

woodcreek hs hc paul hayes describes his leader as polite, coachable, grounded from a strong family & always attends classes...these personal characteristics are key elements to the bears recruiting profile

"its not about the biggest school you go too its about how you fit into the system and how they treat you"
-noah blackwell

jon harris is running out front on blackwell's recruitment & with favorable test scores noah will be visiting berkeley for an official visit in the near future

cal family#
bay area's finest#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including roseville)

update: congrats to noah on his commitment to long beach state, a good fit both athletically & academically while also staying in cali so his family can travel to his games
IrishCalBears
Shocky1;842368979 said:

wake the **** up

is the censored word "echoes"?
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842309702 said:

cal's monster class b old people (sophs)

50 yr friendships#
Shocky1

cuonzo martin has officially offered 2016 6'2" 175 lbs santa monica vikings man on fire sharpshooter jonah mathews

mathews is a huge cal recruiting priority and also has offers from asu, usc & utah...like his older bro jordan he also excels academically in the classroom, he ain't a dumb azz

jonah loved growing up in san francisco when his dad phil was the hc for the usf dons

dude already got the right gear

cal family#

update: jonah grew up a ucla fan & his dad was later an assistant coach with the bruins for ben hovland...if ucla offers as expected the best 2 on the west coast, then the bears are gonna be in fierce recruiting battle for the future ocean league mvp

visiting with jonah a couple of time ain't gonna get it done...cuonzo & tracy need to grabbing that quick hour+ flight down to lax during every open recruiting window to show jonah the bears staff love for him, they gotta be southwest a-list preferred members
Shocky1
IrishCalBears;842369618 said:

is the censored word "echoes"?

hey irish, i dunno, let's tee it up at ballybunion's cashen course on the rugged west coast of ireland & have a pint afterwards in town at mcmunn's pub and try to figure this out

the emerald isle#
Shocky1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3760[/ATTACH]

click above attachment for larger drawing, a common characteristic of those people i associate with in life is their noticeable & rather remarkable immaturity

sent to me by a very large arizona donor who is still bitter that he could've never been accepted at cal because of his intellectual shortcomings

it should be mentioned tho that the university of arizona despite its non selective 90+% acceptance rate is improving its academic reputation, it recently passed the el paso school of bartending in the national collegiate rankings & its grads often move into shift supervisor roles at the chipotle on speedway

tuscon is a dump#
ccajon
MoragaBear;842360300 said:

Things have to break right to be a monster class but no one ever added a day to their life by fretting and worrying. As we all know, it's usually the opposite.

I'll tell you for certain, though: None of their top targets are shot in the dark, spray and pray recruitments.

Between what you just said, and what I heard from Shocky, I've seen the light on the current state of Cal recruiting. No more complaining from me. I'll just wait along with the rest of you to hear the good news in April.
Shocky1

the most amazing story in cal bb history is perhaps the unbreakable mental toughness of leon powe

growing up in oakalnd, leon and his 6 brothers & sisters & mom connie were often homeless living in shelters, cheap hotels and even abandoned cars

powe became a mcdonalds all american at oakland tech thx to his mentors bernard ward & jonas zuckerman, an all pac 10 1st teamer at cal, a 1st round draft choice of the boston celtics, almost $4m in nba earnings, and has passionately given back & touched lives in oakland

check out this lifestory video re: the kings of leon:

rip: connie landry

50 yr friendships#

cal family#
tower of power#

update: leon will be rejoining the boston celtics in a front office capacity
http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/9/29/6865765/leon-powe-rejoining-celtics
Shocky1

rumor has it that roxy is negotiating with espn senior management to have me hired as his color commentator for next season's cal basketball games that are carried on espn

how is this gonna play out?

roxy: singer swipes the ball from johnson in the paint and lobs the ball downcourt to bird, another slamdunk and the bears go ahead of the wildcats by 18 points with 9 minutes to go in the second half...the haas crowd is absolutely electric and sean miller is not happy, clapping his hands to try to get his team going

shocky: sean miller is a dumb azz

roxy: mcconnell races the ball into the frontcourt...quick bounce pass to ashley in the paint, his turnaround jumper is rejected by kravish, wallace has got the ball going the other way, tryone pulls up and snaps the ball back to jordan mathews well behind the 3 point line...swish, mathew's 7th 3 pointer of the game!...time out wildcats and cal crowd is on their feet

shocky: this ****is getting live

roxy: un shocky, you can't say that

shocky: what?

roxy: what you just said

shocky: what, this **** is getting live?

roxy: ruh roh

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1

[video]http://www.calbears.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&SPID=126528&SPSID=749497&DB_OEM_ID=30100[/video]

make sure you get to haas this saturday october 4th at 1:00 pm for a free open practice to check out the 2014 california golden bears

the highly athletic kerwin roach jr, a top 35 guard in the 2015 class, & his family will also be in the haas during his official visit

kerwin is a +1 athlete, he's like spiderman, & he's gonna announce his collegiate decision at his high school on his birthday, october 24th

what's your palace?
Shocky1

"where i like the coaching staff and where the head coach is the main one talking to me so i know they really want me...if the head coach is calling, that means you're a priority"

-ivan rabb

"the schools that he has recruiting him are university of california-berkeley, ucla, usc, arizona, kansas, kentucky, georgetown and north carolina"

-lou richie, bishop o'dowd head coach

early indications are that cuonzo & the new staff have made favorable 1st impressions

the former bears staff were fractured in their approach to the recruitment of the #1 player in the 2015 class...coaches told me there was "no chance" to "we should try harder"...my biggest divergence in opinion with the that staff (that led cal bb to the most successful era during the last half a century) centered around ivan's recruitment...only travid decuire attended bod's state championship game at sleepy train arena in sacramento after the bears season had already ended

mac dre agrees that not making every effort known to mankind to relentlessly recruit ivan rabb would be stoopid, gotta "growl like a bear"

the grind includes the hc#

"the new cal coaches stopped by as well...i like them so far but i have not seen the way they coach yet or anything...i will watch them this year"

-ivan rabb

north carolina: ivan & his mom tami along with bod hc lou richie unofficially visited unc...rabb played in a pick up game & checked out the facilities...roy williams was unavailable during the visit (this trip was prior to the recent academic fraud allegations directed at williams)

duke: relatively brief unofficially visit with coach k who expressed an interest in recruiting rabb in the future

georgetown: visited with hc john thompson iii...ivan impressed with the urban (city) aspect of the campus vs the 2 north carolina schools & also the georgetown graduate school biz program

cal: "as soon as the new staff came in, they started contacted me regularly during the first week...they talk to me a lot and make sure that i know that i'm at the top of their list and that they really want me at cal...i have respect for all of their coaches and i'm looking forward to seeing what they can do next year"

ivan unofficially visited with the cal bb staff in berkeley today

the cal coaches are successfully building relationships & "painting pictures regarding ivan's legacy" via these unofficial visits (the bears also had another key prospect visit fri too)

"like @icecube said, "today was a good day""
-cuonzo martin

"what a great day in berkeley, ca! we are making moves. big ones. #gold standard"
-yanni hufnagel

cuonzo martin personally watched ivan & his oakland soliders teammates at the peach jam in georgia

ivan rabb is on the usa under 17 team that is competing at the fiba world championship in dubai...young ivee missed the 1st game with a swollen ankle

ivan's mom made an unannounced drop in visit with the cal basketball staff in berkeley while ivan was in dubai

ivan will have a in home visit with north carolina on october 6th & will then likely decide upon his finalists

together we attack#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including oakland)
concordtom
Shocky1;842370340 said:

[video]http://www.calbears.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&SPID=126528&SPSID=749497&DB_OEM_ID=30100[/video]

make sure you get to haas this saturday october 4th at 1:00 pm for a free open practice to check out the 2014 california golden bears

Unfortunately, it won't be nearly this crowded.
And I won't be able to attend, but would be glad to catch a video of it if one were posted.
Shocky1
yoshibear;842360297 said:

Doesn't this suggest that it is time for a new Monster Class thread?

yoshi, if i terminated this thread now, what would the bears players & recruits b talkin' about?
Shocky1
new 2014 center for world university rankings:

1) harvard university
2) stanford university
3) massachusetts university of technology
4) university of cambridge
5) university of oxford
6) columbia university
7) university of california, berkeley
8) university of chicago
9) princeton university
10) yale university

http://cwur.org/2014/

don't be a dumb azz#

yoshibear
Shocky1;842370972 said:

yoshi, if i terminated this thread now, what would the bears players & recruits b talkin' about?

Your new Monster Class thread
ParisBears
Great to see Cal in the top 10, but we are not the number 1 public university in the world. That distinction goes to Cambridge. Both Oxford and Cambridge receive public funding.
Shocky1
ParisBears;842371482 said:

Great to see Cal in the top 10, but we are not the number 1 public university in the world. That distinction goes to Cambridge. Both Oxford and Cambridge receive public funding.

paris, as you know, private universities in the united kingdom receive funding from both private sources & public funds
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t15897.htm

i have a very close friend in london who graduated from oxford & he considers his alma mater "one of the great private educational institutions in the world"

i'm standing by my original statement (although i understand your point of view) that the university of california, berkeley is the #1 ranked (purely) public university in the world

more importantly, have you played the university of cambridge's home course, royal worlington, which is nicknamed "the sacred nine" & is considered the best 9 hole course in the world?
HoopDreams
[COLOR=#000080]​[/COLOR]After a fast start out the gate, an injury slowed down Jabari, but he came roaring back and showed his pure talent

A sweet jumper, mad hops, and the athleticism and length to join the elite in the Pac 12

But it's his character, intellengence and humbleness that I notice when the game is over, and the fans are gone

I remember his first game at Haas. He was interviewed after the game, so was the last player to leave. I was standing near the rail near the player exit and yelled his name as he ran by. He turned, flashed a big smile and jumped up to high five me

What a great representative for the University

[SIZE=5][COLOR=#000080]Jabari, thanks for coming to Cal[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=#000080][SIZE=6]Rep the Bay[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Shocky1
walked 36 holes today at gamble sands in brewster, washington (close to the canadian border)...it is the best golf course to open in the united states during 2014 & will likely be a new entrant to the us top 100 lists

2015 promises to be an exciting year internationally with 4 major openings:

*****mike devries' cape wickham, king island, australia
*****coore & crenshaw's cabot cliffs, nova scotia, canada
*****gil hanse's olympic course, rio de janerio, brazil

*****tom doak's tara iti, mangawhai, new zealand

do i ever question my quest to be the world's most traveled golf course architecture rater/ranker?

yeah, when tommy & i were lying facedown under an underpass in bogota, columbia with our faces pressed into the concrete & pistols stuck into our jaws, the monkey voices in my head were working overtime

"****, i knew there was something wrong when the taxi driver started making those phone calls, dude sold us out...i'm gonna die because i had to play some mediocre course in south america?...ok, well the par 4 8th hole over the ravine was an exceptional hole for sure...if these dumb azzs kick me in the ribs again, i'm gonna make my move, i don't care"

where's your passport?#
let's roll, baby#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842371691 said:

paris, as you know, private universities in the united kingdom receive funding from both private sources & public funds
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t15897.htm

i have a very close friend in london who graduated from oxford & he considers his alma mater "one of the great private educational institutions in the world"

i'm standing by my original statement (although i understand your point of view) that the university of california, berkeley is the #1 ranked (purely) public university in the world

more importantly, have you played the university of cambridge's home course, royal worlington, which is nicknamed "the sacred nine" & is considered the best 9 hole course in the world?

Is it not true that a substantial percentage of Cal's funding (maybe even a majority) currently is private (in various ways)?
Shocky1

today is the 1st day of official team practices for the 2014 season

seasons change, coaches change, people change, some people never gonna change, huf is totally ready, r u ready?

Bearprof
Quote: "Great to see Cal in the top 10, but we are not the number 1 public university in the world. That distinction goes to Cambridge. Both Oxford and Cambridge receive public funding."

We beat Cambridge and Oxford in some other rankings. I had never seen these particular rankings before.
concordtom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3770[/ATTACH]

shocky, can you ID this clubhouse?
2nd question: In terms of the pure education received and the value of diploma in the marketplace, why should it matter where the university funding comes from?
Selfie
ccajon;842369807 said:

Between what you just said, and what I heard from Shocky, I've seen the light on the current state of Cal recruiting. No more complaining from me. I'll just wait along with the rest of you to hear the good news in April.

I think we'll need good news by November
mikecohen
concordtom;842372152 said:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3770[/ATTACH]

shocky, can you ID this clubhouse?
2nd question: In terms of the pure education received and the value of diploma in the marketplace, why should it matter where the university funding comes from?

To me, the answer could be (or should be, or used to be) profound. The University of California was founded and maintained (at least until Reagan) as the crowning jewel of the ideal of public education, i.e., unlimited education for anybody to the limit of their abilities and character - regardless of race, creed, religion, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, OR ability to pay. It is this ideal which has defined the ethos of this place for its close to 150 years of existence (having been founded, I think not un-coincidentally, just following the conclusion of the American Civil War). However, this ideal has become threatened by the rise of right wing anti-government, anti-tax (and, indeed, anti-education) ideology which is directly responsible for the more-than-exponential rise in tuition and other expenses, which has in turn resulted in a dramatic rise in (a) the percentage of students from families who can afford to pay (for many of whom, especially in the top 1%, even the out-of-state tuition here is not a big deal), and (b) the necessary percentage of private contributions, to take up the slack for what government can no longer afford, either or both fiscally and/or politically. In other words, our pride in our public university is in the triumph of democratic, egalitarian ideals, which are threatened by the political and economic circumstances which have resulted in the diminution of public funding, and the consequent rise in private funding. One might even think of making the case that it may be coming to pass that the ideals of encouraging achievement/merit/talent over legacy may even be more well served these days by the large (at least mostly) private institutions with endowments so huge that "ability to pay" need never block any student qualified to attend from matriculating there, because there is sufficient scholarship availability. I do think the situation (like most of life) is highly dynamic (no absolutes here). But I did want to say a word for the ideals, and for us standing up for them.
socaltownie
mikecohen;842372273 said:

To me, the answer could be (or should be, or used to be) profound. The University of California was founded and maintained (at least until Reagan) as the crowning jewel of the ideal of public education, i.e., unlimited education for anybody to the limit of their abilities and character - regardless of race, creed, religion, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, OR ability to pay. It is this ideal which has defined the ethos of this place for its close to 150 years of existence (having been founded, I think not un-coincidentally, just following the conclusion of the American Civil War). However, this ideal has become threatened by the rise of right wing anti-government, anti-tax (and, indeed, anti-education) ideology which is directly responsible for the more-than-exponential rise in tuition and other expenses, which has in turn resulted in a dramatic rise in (a) the percentage of students from families who can afford to pay (for many of whom, especially in the top 1%, even the out-of-state tuition here is not a big deal), and (b) the necessary percentage of private contributions, to take up the slack for what government can no longer afford, either or both fiscally and/or politically. In other words, our pride in our public university is in the triumph of democratic, egalitarian ideals, which are threatened by the political and economic circumstances which have resulted in the diminution of public funding, and the consequent rise in private funding. One might even think of making the case that it may be coming to pass that the ideals of encouraging achievement/merit/talent over legacy may even be more well served these days by the large (at least mostly) private institutions with endowments so huge that "ability to pay" need never block any student qualified to attend from matriculating there, because there is sufficient scholarship availability. I do think the situation (like most of life) is highly dynamic (no absolutes here). But I did want to say a word for the ideals, and for us standing up for them.

OK...I just CAN"T let this pass.....

A) California is NOT a low tax right-wing haven. We have a badly designed and poorly implemented way of financing K-12 education (Thank you Serrano, Jarvis and Gann) but Prop 13 has much less dramatic impact on state programs like UC. In respect to tax burden OTHER than property tax we are right up there with the highest taxed states on really any measure you want to look at.

B) There are both inputs and outflow issues at UC that bear a much more complex understanding. At least SOME of the input issues are that as an aging state, one with a LARGE percentage of residents in poverty and the ever escalating health care cost problem the state budget is squeezed on mediCal. We then need to add in the sins of BOTH parties in creating a huge prison/criminal justice system that played on people's fears and which eats up a good chunk of the state's budget. On the outflow issue lets not forget UC's near criminal underfunding of its pension and retire health care obligations. Now the SCT family is EXCITED that you are paying for GOLD PLATED health care to SCT's Mom and widow of a 30+ year UCB faculty member but he also gets why that is a cost issue for the system and how it puts pressure on tuition.

Fixing the problem with UC will be difficult and complex. Demonizing the political party that has been out of power in Sacramento for 2 generations is probably not the first place to start.
antipattern
socaltownie;842372306 said:

OK...I just CAN"T let this pass.....

A) California is NOT a low tax right-wing haven. We have a badly designed and poorly implemented way of financing K-12 education (Thank you Serrano, Jarvis and Gann) but Prop 13 has much less dramatic impact on state programs like UC. In respect to tax burden OTHER than property tax we are right up there with the highest taxed states on really any measure you want to look at.

B) There are both inputs and outflow issues at UC that bear a much more complex understanding. At least SOME of the input issues are that as an aging state, one with a LARGE percentage of residents in poverty and the ever escalating health care cost problem the state budget is squeezed on mediCal. We then need to add in the sins of BOTH parties in creating a huge prison/criminal justice system that played on people's fears and which eats up a good chunk of the state's budget. On the outflow issue lets not forget UC's near criminal underfunding of its pension and retire health care obligations. Now the SCT family is EXCITED that you are paying for GOLD PLATED health care to SCT's Mom and widow of a 30+ year UCB faculty member but he also gets why that is a cost issue for the system and how it puts pressure on tuition.

Fixing the problem with UC will be difficult and complex. Demonizing the political party that has been out of power in Sacramento for 2 generations is probably not the first place to start.

I just wanted to let SCT and mike know how excited I am to not participate in this conversation, and express my eagerness to non-contribute to it in any way I cannot.
First Page Last Page
Page 114 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.