cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,370,708 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ivan rabb played like the #1 player in the 2015 class with 31 points on 12-16 fgs & 7-10 fts along with 15 boards as the bishop o'dowd dragons dea busted the paul vi panthers 65-64

make no mistake about it, ivan is a role model of a true student athlete that does things the right way, rabb don't got a crooked smile

Shocky1
caleb swanigan scored 23 points with a crushing 21 boards & 4 assists as the homestead spartans boot stomped the columbus northland vikings 76-48

Shocky1
tyler dorsey scored 27 points on 6-18 fgs with 2-6 3 pointers along with 3 boards, 2 assists & only 1 turnover as the marantha minutemen got their clocks rang 103-68 by the corona centennial huskies led by bears bigs targets 2016 ike anigbogu & 2017 jaylen hill

cmfan64
I saw some great tape on Zach Collins a 6-10 forward who looks like David Kravish, but bigger and a great 3 point shooter. He also dunks and blocks shots. The interview indicated he is a top student and is being recruited by Gonzaga and San Diego State. He was at the Stanford game and was hosted by Domingo and Kravish. He is also a knows our other top recruits and seems very interested in Cal. I wish we could suit him up next week for the Arizona schools. Anyone know more about him ?
elderbear
cmfan64;842440185 said:

I saw some great tape on Zach Collins a 6-10 forward who looks like David Kravish, but bigger and a great 3 point shooter. He also dunks and blocks shots. The interview indicated he is a top student and is being recruited by Gonzaga and San Diego State. He was at the Stanford game and was hosted by Domingo and Kravish. He is also a knows our other top recruits and seems very interested in Cal. I wish we could suit him up next week for the Arizona schools. Anyone know more about him ?

Check out HoopDreams post 4 days ago (1-15)
HoopDreams
It isn't just Cal basketball and football that strives for excellence, and has World Class athletes

It's all Cal sports that compete at the highest level

Another example, is Cal Gymnast [COLOR="#000080"]Toni-Ann Williams[/COLOR]. With dual U.S. and Jamaican citizenship, Toni-Ann participated in the 2013 World Championships. As just a freshmen at Cal she won 3 titles in the Tri-Meet this week to help the No. 10 Cal gymnastics team win the meet title.

Watch her perform at the 2013 World Qualifications
[video=youtube;UTp801rOox8][/video]
Shocky1
Shocky1;842408630 said:

zach collins, a top 50 2016 6'10" 215 lbs power forward from bishop gorman (coached by zach's father, mike) in las vegas has narrowed his finalists to 8 schools with arizona, unlv, gonzaga & new mexico assured official visits...the collins family intends to make an unofficial visit to cal this weekend when bishop gorman plays a monster opening game vs ivan rabb's bishop o'dowd dragons on saturday november 29th at 8:30 pm at newark memorial in the nor cal tip off classic

zach was 6'8" as a freshman & has grown another 2 inches and is continuing to grow into his body...he is extremely blue collar physical & also possesses a strong pick & pop game with an accurate shooting touch

zach & his dad have built strong relationships with both cuonzo martin & jon harris...cal is the only academically prestigious school on the finalist list & zach has also stated he is interested in staying close to home if possible...relationships with coaches & style of play will be key factors in this decision

the collins family isn't turning zach's recruitment into a circus, he's gonna decide very early with a targeted decision date of june 2015 with a signing date of november 2015

zach collins has set up his first 3 official visits:

cal-january 14th (stanford game)
new mexico-february 21st
gonzaga-february 28th

schools competing for the final 2 official visits are: hometown unlv, utah, oklahoma, san diego state & asu...arizona is now out of the picture with the commitment from tj leaf at the 4

"looking back on that #cal visit...really good stuff...looking forward to finishing off the tour over the next month or so...all good choices"
-dad mike collins

zach primarily hosted by stephen domingo & met at the oakland airport by the entire cal coaching staff...strong relationships are being built between the collins family & the cal staff

collins will also likely visit utah february 14th & san diego state

huf is scouting the zack attack this week at the hoop hall classic in springfield, missouri

with a 3.6 gpa zach, the proximity of las vegas to berkeley & an aggressive style of play at the 4, collins would be a strong cal fit for the golden bears basketball program

the university of california, berkeley=#1 public (#3 overall) university in the world (including nevada)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842415274 said:

me: taylor and i are gonna go practice drive around carefree tonite, anybody wanna go?

shay: dad, i have homework from five honors classes and have zero interest in reconstructive surgery

kyle: no, i'm going skateboarding later

me: got it, you'd rather fall on concrete than go in a car with taylor driving

kat (current 1st wife): am i the named beneficiary of all the life insurance policies?

me: typical comment from an asu golddigger

kat: didn't you live in an apartment on a landfill with orange carpet when we first met?

me: yeah but you knew i was a cal grad

kat: whatever...go bears

me: anybody wanna go with us?

at that point i notice my rescue pets happy, misty mae, trouble, mugsy & minko stinko all slinking upstairs...man's best friend my azz

taylor: do you think ivan rabb wants to go with us?

me: love you, taylor, are you ready to go?

taylor: no, i have to put on my makeup

me: what are you talking about?...we're driving alone at night, are you expecting to meet any cute paramedics tonite?

shay: dad, do you want me to print out for you the phone number for the mayo clinic emergency room?

kat: good luck tonite, champ

beep beep#

in that i probably eat a third of my 15+ meals a week at whole (paycheck) foods, taylor & i went as part of our practice driving to the nearest whole foods ...sure wish there was an ol' yeller cafe in our neighborhood

my calves are still tight from hitting the imaginary brakes on the passenger side

well, at least we got some good sushi & fruits & shared a strawberry smoothie
HoopDreams
Like Jabari Bird, Stephen Domingo is the type of Athlete that Cal Coach Martin wants to build his team with. A 6-7 wing, Domingo is a top 100 recruit.
ESPN said this about him:

Strengths:
Domingo has a nice lengthy frame with long arms and he's a solid athlete. He does a great job in transition handling the ball ... His shot is effortless and feathery and he has good feel for the game as well. He is equally effective shooting off a two-dribble pull-up as he is off the catch. He has a solid amount of savvy as well as exhibited by his passing ability.

Weaknesses:
Domingo needs to continue to improve his mid-range skills. He struggles putting the ball on the floor when quicker defenders get into him. By adding a head fake, jab step he can create better opportunities of getting his shot off.
[note, Domingo reclassified to a year early, so his redshirt transfer year is just what he needed to develop his game]

Bottom Line:
Domingo is a smooth shooting wing-type and as a result he'll be shooting up the recruiting charts sooner rather than later. As one scout pointed out, he has some George Gervin in him, and he is much further advanced than Pac-12 Freshmen of the Year Allan Crabbe at the same stage.

Shocky1
Shocky1;842398627 said:

the targeted 2015 is intended to forever change the trajectory of the cal basketball program, to compete for national championships...these guys are elite 5 star immediate impact blue chippers that have been ranked in the top 40 of their class, they are all truly diamonds

stephen domingo, #35 ranked player in the 2013 class, is already a california golden bear

tyler dorsey, #19th ranked player in the 2015 class

caleb swanigan, #8 ranked player in the 2015 class

ivan rabb, #1 ranked (prior to a minor summertime injury) player in the 2015 class

diamonds are forever#

ivan rabb & his bishop o'dowd teammates will battle nationally ranked wheeler (georgia) led by 5 star jaylen brown tomorrow morning on espnu

"i think once i get my visits in (re: a decision)...i definitely want to make the right decision and get it over with...i'm ready to be done with it"
-ivan rabb
Shocky1

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/xGJ11yg-uUeYOULAb0-3Kw/18th-annual-mlk-classic-at-haas-pavilion-to-prove-as-testing-ground-and-hopeful-landing-point.htm

1st game at 10:30 am at haas pavilion on the campus of the #1 ranked public university in the world

a welcoming campus for all the people of the state of california, admission is free

Shocky1
playing again like the #1 player in the nation humble bay area legend ivan rabb scored 24 points with 12 boards & 5 blocks as the usa #17 ranked bishop o'dowd dragons cleaned up the kitty litter 79-70 of the usa #3 ranked wheeler mildcats

espn's jeff goodman, the proud owner of 3 chins & an arizona diploma, did not mention to young ivee during his on court interview that tucson is a dump

it should be mentioned this was rabb's 3rd road game in 4 days...that type of stamina & focus is a byproduct of an intense focus & passion to relentlessly pursue excellence...yeah, and you gotta work out too

time to go home#
Shocky1
overhead my fashionista daughters shay & taylor scheming in the garage:

taylor: shay, you're using the wrong strategy with dad regarding the concert tixs

shay: yeah?

taylor: you need to say "daddy, i think ivan rabb is going to be at the concert, don't you want me to tell him to go to cal?...don't you always tell us to relentlessly pursue our dreams?...daddy, don't you even you care about cal basketball anymore?"

shay: will that work?

taylor: dad's kind of a dumb azz when it comes to ivan rabb

game on#
Shocky1

carlos johnson scored 25 points as the el cerrito gauchos got undressed 78-65 by the berkeley yellowjackets at the mlk classic at haas pavilion

Shocky1
Shocky1;842429144 said:

kevin johnson, a former nba all star & a grad of both sacramento high school & cal (got his degree in 4 years, men take care of their business) and currently the mayor of sacramento, made the following comments at a recent national league of cities mayorial symposium on major issues immpacting municipalities:

kj: make no mistake about it, if we had had a cal's monster class thread back in the day, there's no doubt the bears would have competed for a ncaa national championship...and for the fashion record, this shirt is not pink, it's fuschia...brandon chauca and shocky aren't the only cal guys who can wear fuschia you know...thank you

current sacramento high's 2016 standouts solomon young & christian terrell are on cal's recruiting radar

solomon young plays physical lockdown d with a beast mode punishing style of play

christian terrell is an unselfish high basketball iq smooth distributor/facilitator with length

yeah, sacramento is bears territory

solomon young scored 22 points & christian terrell scored 15 points as the sacramento hornets cloverleafed the sacred heart cathedral fightin' irish 82-56 at the mlk classic at haas pavilion
HoopDreams
Ivan Rabb and Oscar Frayer are two of the top hoops talents in the Nation
There is absolutely no doubt about that

But the MLK Classic held at Haas Pavillon on the Cal campus is showcasing what is arguably the most talent in Nor Cal in....like forever

...something big is coming to Cal...

Shocky1
Shocky1;842436594 said:

the california golden bears 2016 class is gonna be led by uber athletic oscar frayer of moreau catholic & the oakland soliders and hopefully santa monica's jonah mathews too...this class will likely have a strong nor cal & california (and hopefully nevada too) presence of guys that are gonna be howlin' at the moon in berkeley at the #1 ranked public (#3 ranked overall) university in the world

salute#

jonah mathews is the best 2 on west coast in the 2016 class

yeah, jonah's gotta big bro who can play a little basketball too

carlos johnson is a plus 1 athlete with strength & hops and the ability to be multiple

jordan ford is a crafty facilitator at the 1 that can also shoot lights out on the 3 pointer, kinda like arizona's tj mcconnell

the bears also need at least 1 of the following power forwards:

zach collins

ike anigbogu

ben kone

jayce johnson

oscar frayer scored 18 points & teammate 2017 bears priority target damari mislead scored 19 points as the moreau catholic mariners barely floated their boat 68-67 by the archbishop mitty monarchs led by ben kone's 23 points & 12 boards in a thrillah at the mlk classic at haas pavilion
HoopDreams
HoopDreams

espn:
"Brown (31 points) outscored Ivan Rabb in their head-to-head matchup, but Rabb dominated the second half (24 points, 12 rebounds) and Bishop O'Dowd came out with the win over Wheeler (Georgia)"

"Rabb told ESPN.com his best head coach relationship is with Cuonzo Martin, and sources said Rabb was the first phone call Martin made after getting the job back in April"

[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=7]Rep the Bay[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Shocky1
Shocky1;842346537 said:

took my fashionista daughters shay & taylor and their friends katie and carson (uncle jeff hornaceck played in the nba & is currently the phx suns head coach) to the antlers (indie band from brooklyn) concert tonite at the crescent ballroom in downtown phx

shaylor live music rules stipulate that i cannot stand by them unless they initiate such proximity to their dad

oh well

anyways, my favorite song was the hauntingly beautiful "palace" which is about a very personal & special place in your life that is filled with treasured memories, somewhere that is magical

as the song ended i realized that in many ways haas pavilion is my palace

what is your palace?

haas pavilion will host the california 2015 state championship games march 27-28th
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/prep-plus-blog/article7649921.html

could bay area legend ivan rabb's final high school game be played at my (and maybe yours too) palace?

what's your legacy?#
Shocky1

tyler dorsey scored 43 points including an unreal 7-10 3 pointers as the marantha minutemen rang the clocks of the whittier christian heralds 71-54

not that hard to imagine in the future dept: so the buzzer goes off in mckale arena with the bears 15 point victors led by td's 25 points, 7 boards & 6 monster dunk assists to teammate ivan rabb

the only sounds in mckale are 14,000 shocked old timers wearing red & white filing out of the arena heading back to their retirement communities, josh pasternack angrily kicking over chairs by himself like a dumb azz & espn reporter jeff goodman loudly munching on & stuffing his orifices with a couple of corn dogs

a couple of the wildcat cheerleaders are smiling at you, that's what hot girls at academically mediocre schools do whenever they're around cal, stanford & ivy league future grads...but you don't got time for that tonite

you see a couple of soon to be graduating arizona seniors in the student section filling out applications for the chipotle on speedway...they look kinda stressed out about their uncertain futures in a highly competitive global economy that rewards/favors those that are well educated

you spot jerrid & dinos behind the cal bench, they both give you big thumbs up

you walk thru the game end line & when you see an obviously anguished sean miller you quietly tell him "good game, coach" before you join your cal teammates & coaches for a victory shout out in the locker room

as you take one last look around mckale you can't help but think "man, tucson really is a dump"

yeah, it's just a business trip, coach

nothing personal#
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842441231 said:

tyler dorsey scored 43 points including an unreal 7-10 3 pointers as the marantha minutemen rang the clocks of the whittier christian heralds 71-54

not that hard to imagine in the future dept: so the buzzer goes off in mckale arena with the bears 15 point victors led by td's 25 points, 7 boards & 6 monster dunk assists to teammate ivan rabb

the only sounds in mckale are 14,000 shocked old timers wearing red & white filing out of the arena heading back to their retirement communities, josh pasternack angrily kicking over chairs by himself like a dumb azz & espn reporter jeff goodman loudly munching on & stuffing his orifices with a couple of corn dogs

a couple of the wildcat cheerleaders are smiling at you, that's what hot girls at academically mediocre schools do whenever they're around cal, stanford & ivy league future grads...but you don't got time for that tonite

you see a couple of soon to be graduating arizona seniors in the student section filling out applications for the chipotle on speedway...they look kinda stressed out about their uncertain futures in a highly competitive global economy that rewards/favors those that are well educated

you spot jerrid & dinos behind the cal bench, they both give you big thumbs up

you walk thru the game end line & when you see an obviously anguished sean miller you quietly tell him "good game, coach" before you join your cal teammates & coaches for a victory shout out in the locker room

as you take one last look around mckale you can't help but think "man, tucson really is a dump"

yeah, it's just a business trip, coach

nothing personal#

Lol. This post is awesome shocky!
ccajon
concordtom;842435841 said:

Are you serious?
Why would the AD even think about booting you?
He'd get security to do it.

No way.

My friend and I got 86'ed from sunken diamond by Bob Bowlsby during a Non Conference baseball game
between my Alma Mater Santa Clara and Stanford. Our crime was my buddy ragging on a furd pitcher
named "Arthur."
So, it's not like it couldn't have happened, there probably was only a few hundred people on
the Cal side of the Pavilion, and Shocky already has a big target on his back considering his past history with
Haden.
Shocky1
pat haden relentlessly circulates during usc basketball & football games speaking with donors, season tix holders & fans...he will shake hands & spend a high energy quality minute with 500 people during a game, he knows who exactly sits on the floor & who is a cal dumb azz trying to claim his premium seats

cal's hopefully interim ad michael williams could learn something from haden's calculated efforts to maximize revenue development...i attended a small donor get together before the asu game with the always fun to listen to lindsay gottlieb in the development office, williams did not even bother to appear & i have never seen him at haas

i have introduced myself several times at football games to williams, he has not ever said anything remotely intersting or bothered to learn my name...he has trouble making eye contact

the fiscal challenges facing cal (and other ncca schools) will require an athletic director with strong social skills that can effectively fundraise
Shocky1
held scoreless in the 1st half jordan ford scored 12 points with the game on the line as the folsom bulldogs kenneled their arch rival woodcreek timberwolves 57-53

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/prep-plus-blog/article7846977.html
Shocky1

whether it's playing high stakes poker, putting together a multi million dollar business deal or kissing a smokin' hot girl for the 1st time or all of the above, it's important to know the tell

the tell is a small almost imperceptible visual cue that tells you what the other person is thinking...its benefits are priceless

are you still with me?

so ivan rabb is being interviewed along with jaylen brown by the espn announcers after the bishop o'dowd vs wheeler match up...the talking heads ask the 5 star brown re: his thought process with respects to selecting a college...the camera & all eyes focus upon jaylen but i'm still just watching ivan

the articulate & thoughtful jaylen says "players and coaches come and go, i want to pick a college where i'm comfortable"
ivan is starting to nod his head

jaylen then says "i want to pick a college that has a family atmosphere, somewhere that feels like home"
ivan is totally moving his head in agreement & then looks down to his left at his heart

the tell is clear (do not argue or question my body language reading skills, i aced psych 1 at cal)

Shocky1
[video=youtube;s9ptMTEqDLU][/video]

the odd couple#
socaltownie
Shocky you are getting my hopes up way too much. You are coming with me to play the underlooked gem that is Pauma Valley if this all falls apart so we can commiserate on the best greens in So Cal.
Shocky1
socaltownie;842441524 said:

Shocky you are getting my hopes up way too much. You are coming with me to play the underlooked gem that is Pauma Valley if this all falls apart so we can commiserate on the best greens in So Cal.

sounds good, so cal...pauma valley is a former golf digest top 100 course designed by robert trent jones sr

i've seen fotos of the course from back in the day, there were virtually no trees on the course, just rugged desert landscape

times have changed#
Shocky1
montera middle school best friends paris austin scored a school record 43 points & ivan rabb scored 16 points with an unselfish 15 assists as the bishop o'dowd dragons fireballed the piedmont highlanders 108-77 in a special nite for the oakland history books

50 year friendship#
Shocky1
mental & physical toughness

together we attack#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842441528 said:

sounds good, so cal...pauma valley is a former golf digest top 100 course designed by robert trent jones sr

i've seen fotos of the course from back in the day, there were virtually no trees on the course, just rugged desert landscape

times have changed#

You haven't played it? Great example of RTJ sr's "parkland" style now. Not flash but solid golf. Biggest draw back is getting there. Greens at SDCC are great too but the test of golf is much better out at Pauma. Still love Torrey South the most but I hate crowds so what are you going to do ;-) (and yes, I have decided that if you can't beat him, join Shock in our mutual appreciation of great golf design).
Shocky1
the sun devils are led by jc transfer #40 shaquielle mckissic 6'5" 200 lbs (11.1 ppg & 4.6 rpg), jc transfer #4 gerry blakes 6'4" 195 lbs (10.8 ppg & 4.3 rpg), jc transfer #11 6'6" 215 lbs savon goodman (10.1 ppg & 6.1 rpg) & #21 eric jacobsen 6'10" 255 lbs (10.1 ppg & 6.7 rpg)

asu is a physical wing dominated team that's getting better as the season progresses as the jc guys integrate into coach sendek's system...the sun devils average 15 turnovers a game & can be pressured into mistakes by a hounding bears defense...jacobsen is the sun devils only proven big & plays 31 mpg, the bears should attack the rim early & try to get him in foul trouble in order to dominate the boards

will the bears demonstrate an unbreakable mental resolve after a 8 day opportunity to rest & get better?

Shocky1
"watching the cal game got me missin them old days with my bros"
"still young...still growing...still messing up...still perfecting myself"
-richard solomon

finish that degree#
50 year decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including los angeles)
Shocky1
kinda lost in the excitement of paris austin's 43 points & ivan rabb's 15 assists was young ivee knocking down a 3 pointer

what up?#
First Page Last Page
Page 143 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.