cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,357,565 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wouldn't this group of incoming students graduate from Cal in 2019?
Given the emphasis on academics, of course.
But, if you want to say Class of 2015 - that's fine with me.
Shocky1
ncbears;842400798 said:

Meanwhile on the original topic - the only "monster" so far in this 2019 class is the Invisible Man

what you talking about?...we are totally focused on our targeted prospect
south bender
Shocky1;842400815 said:

what you talking about?...we are totally focused on our targeted prospect

Shocky,

If Cal were recruiting junior high kids, your view of the world might really attract them.
petalumabear
ncbears;842400814 said:

Wouldn't this group of incoming students graduate from Cal in 2019?
Given the emphasis on academics, of course.
But, if you want to say Class of 2015 - that's fine with me.

I see what you meant now.... I was looking at it from an arriving POV which is the more common way recruits seem to be discussed during the recruiting/signing period. I stand corrected regarding your POV...
concordtom
south bender;842400818 said:

Shocky,

If Cal were recruiting junior high kids, your view of the world might really attract them.

you don't think she's old enough?
I'd say she's 18 or older.
OdontoBear66
concordtom;842400927 said:

you don't think she's old enough?
I'd say she's 18 or older.

I think that would be considered a cougar for a 2019…That equates to the eighth grade…And that is development beyond a well rounded eighth grader.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842269136 said:

pat haden is a former rose bowl winning qb at sc who also has had successful tenures as a football broadcaster and at a flourishing private equity firm & is currently the athletic director at usc

he is really, really smart (rhodes scholar) & really, really gullible

my pal pat & i have had 4 interactions during the last couple of years

1) i'm on the practice putting green at san francisco golf club (where i used to caddie during my hs & cal days, rick rhoads was the pro then too) at 8:00 am on the thursday morning of the usc/cal football game at att park when mr rhoads tells me the visiting usc golf team will be sending out 3 groups (college golfers play notoriously slow, they tend to read putts from 3-4 spots before putting & then mark their balls even if they are a foot from the hole) & asks if i would like to go off the 10th tee as a single player with my caddie (which means i can walk 18 holes in a little over 2 hrs instead of almost 5 hrs)

i thank mr rhoads & yell over to my caddie pat "hey pat, we're gonna go off on 10, grab some tees and let's roll"

so the other player putting on the green walks toward me and starts pulling tees out of his pockets...i say to him "sorry about that, i was talking to pat my caddie, you're pat haden, right"...and we chat briefly (i did not ask him if the cash payment envelopes that ex basketball head coach floyd used to illegally pay oj mayo were athletic dept issued or from floyd's personal collection)

my caddie pat thinks its pretty great that a guest like me (a former caddie) would tell a guest to go get him some tees & when we finish our round the entire caddyshack knuckle bumps me

2) i'm at a cal/usc game football massacre at the coliseum in the high donor trojan section (al cowlings, oj's white bronco driver buddy & his drunk azz blonde lady friend are sitting behind me) at midfield (they have hostesses bring you free food & drinks all game...they are very flirty but i behave myself & do not ask for any lap dances)

so usc is up like 42-3 or something at halftime & an enthusiastic pat haden is making the rounds...when he gets to me he says "wow, this couldn't be going any better, could it?"

i tell him "i don't know about that, maybe the bears could run the 2nd half kickoff back for a touchdown"

there's a flicker of recongition in his eyes as pat realizes i'm messing with him...he gives me a fake laugh & starts talking to the group next to me

3) pat haden is a member at lacc, the valley club of montecito & pine valley...i'm putting out on the 18th green of the north at los angeles country club with some buddies & i spot pat getting ready to tee off on the adjacent 1st tee

so i yell out "hey pat"...he looks over trying to figure out who i am, you can tell he has no idea who i am...so i yell again a little bit louder "hey pat" & start doing a couple of fist pumps while i yell his name

so haden finally yells back "hey, how's it going?" while fist pumping me back

i look him in the eyes & yell "go bears"

haden immediately stops fist pumping me back & his group all starts laughing...heard one of his guys saying "pat, i think you just got punked"

4) last nite i bought in front of the galen center in smogsville a scalper tix from jeff capehart (a former cal bb walk on player) & then just sit in the 1st row behind the cal bench (a seat assignment on a tix means nothing to me)

there's a little walkway between the 1st row & the cal bench so who walks by but a widely smiling pat haden, most likely greatly enthused by the trojans clownpunking of the bears in the 1st half

so as he walks by i say "excuse me, pat, when will i be receiving a pine valley invitation from you this year?"

he looks at me & says with a wink "it all depends on your donations this year"

i look him in the eye (we're about the same height) & tell him, "pat, there's probably a better chance i'm going to donate to the el paso school of bartending that usc"

my buddy pat realizes i'm messing with him (again) & gives me another fake smile and walks away

kinda getting the vibe from pat that i'm not gonna be invited to sit on his selection commmitte for the next trojan basketball head coach after endfield flames out

my favorite trojan#
fight on#

sure hope i see my pal pat again tonite at the coliseum
okaydo
Shocky1;842400968 said:

sure hope i see my pal pat again tonite at the coliseum

you're gonna be on the field???
NVGolfingBear
okaydo;842400983 said:

you're gonna be on the field???

:rollinglaugh:
Bear8
Great post Shocky. That was funny.
GOBEARSON3123
Shocky1;842400796 said:

he is pictured below with his wife (who he met while at cal)

Out of respect for his real wife who is a friend of mine, the women pictured here is not his wife (unless she got a lot of work done and changed her ethnicity)
Shocky1
GOBEARSON3123;842401129 said:

Out of respect for his real wife who is a friend of mine, the women pictured here is not his wife (unless she got a lot of work done and changed her ethnicity)

gobearson, thank you for pointing out this error & my apologies to richard & his real wife (not the fake model in this photo)

i promise to uphold higher journalistic standards in the future

Shocky1
[video=youtube;R_fShwQlANc][/video]
Shocky1

pat's avoiding me#
fight on#
Shocky1
gonna pull my fashionista daughter taylor out of school today at noon (yeah, i'm the dad of the year) so we can fly together to the cal season opener at 7:00 pm tonite vs alcorn state as haas arena...nothing better than sharing your interests & passions with your children, to spark a flame in them to relentlessly pursue their own dreams

say hi to us, we're very friendly people...i'll be the only dumb azz with a fuschia (it's not pink) shirt...if you wanna an icy stare, ask taylor if she got her jacket at wal mart

together we attack#
HoopDreams
let's get this party started

Shocky1
Shocky1;842396598 said:

tyler, the reason you do not have an actionable offer at this time from coach self & kansas is because they have a limited # of available schollys for next season...the # of schollys is now 2 with the transfer of connor frankamp due to the lack of playing time in the jayhawks very crowded backcourt
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11797141/kansas-jayhawks-sophomore-guard-conner-frankamp-transfer

bill self, per his quotes above, loves devonte graham at the point for the future so he's focusing on elite frontcourt talent right now including ivan rabb, jaylen brown, carlton bragg, cheick diallo, brandon ingram, stephen zimmerman & thomas bryant

kansas is most likely only going to bring in one guard & self's only actionable offer is to the #1 ranked guard in the country, malik newman...newman isn't going to make a decision until the very last minute in order to see the impact of early nba departures at his 2 favorites, kansas & kentucky....no wonder malik is smiling

tyler, how long are you gonna let coach self slowplay you?...do you really think bill has your best interests in mind?

update: isaish briscoe, a top 10 2015 guard from rochelle catholic in new jersey made a commitment yesterday evening to kentucky in turning down uconn & st johns...briscoe's decision is most likely considered a plus by bill self in his recruitment of his top guard priority, malik newman
Shocky1

alcorn state's firepower is ignited by #15 6'4" leantwan luckett, an all swac 1st teamer, who led the braves in scoring last year with 16 ppg on an efficient 42% fgs...#35 6'8" octavius brown sparked the team with 13.5 ppg & a team high 6.5 rpg and #30 6'7" marquis vance lit it up for 10 ppg & 5.1 rpg...don't be a dumb azz, they are not pictured above

alcorn state is projected to finish 5th in the swac which seems to underestimate the upside of the braves as luckett is projected as the preseason league mvp and both brown & vance are 2nd team all swac projections

the bears gotta play physical d on this fiery trio & force the braves to settle for long range perimeter shots (alcorn state shot an abysmal 30% on 3 pointers last season)

Holmoephobic
Octavius, add him to the all-name team immediately!
CalBearsWinNC
Holmoephobic;842402414 said:

Octavius, add him to the all-name team immediately!

I had a friend from Central Richmond with a similar name. His name is Octave.
concordtom
Shocky1;842401965 said:

gonna pull my fashionista daughter taylor out of school today at noon (yeah, i'm the dad of the year) so we can fly together to the cal season opener at 7:00 pm tonite vs alcorn state as haas arena...nothing better than sharing your interests & passions with your children, to spark a flame in them to relentlessly pursue their own dreams

say hi to us, we're very friendly people...i'll be the only dumb azz with a fuschia (it's not pink) shirt...if you wanna an icy stare, ask taylor if she got her jacket at wal mart

So, my brother took the tickets and went. Sent me a photo of the new squad from behind the bench late in the game during a timeout. I just went back to look for it - "hey, wait! where's the fuchsia shirt?" I scanned the opposite sideline, not finding anything next to MM, where you were previously next to big Walton. BUT, there IS a fuchsia shirt over to the right, in front of the Straw Hat Band. Is that you? I can't tell b/c the image is too blurry to see your face. It looks like Taylor ditched you, and whomever is on the other side of you. You look lonely in your seated pose. Bored, perhaps is a better word. Clearly, Acorn State was not worth the flight. They need to practice their transition D, for starters. MM, by the way, called a good game. You could see how he clearly cares about the guys.

He called Singer a reluctant shooter. I wanted to ask him back, "Mike, how does a kid who averaged over 30 in hs become a "reluctant shooter"???
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Nice win Coach[/SIZE]

HoopDreams

Shocky1

left to right, marco harris, cuonzo martin, yanni huffnagel, jon harris, nicodemus christopher & tracy webster

congratulations to the new coaching staff on their diamond sparkling 1st win in berkeley featuring an uptempo & absolutely unselfish attack mode

a lot of guys with personal setbacks & major injuries would have packed it in my now & taken their sorry broke azz home...christian behrens is not one of those guys...christian's newly emerging physical and intense style of play & unbreakable mental mindset reflects his hardwork this offseason...dude is playing both fast & furious

the 2014 bears are like unpolished gems, gonna be fun to see how this plays out
puget sound cal fan
Kim's getting them in the divorce, anyway.
Shocky1
puget sound cal fan;842402659 said:

Kim's getting them in the divorce, anyway.

Shocky1

[video=youtube;zfSBnQl_kIY][/video]
Shocky1

[video=youtube;rGtl7bVm98U][/video]
Shocky1

[video]http://www.calbears.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100[/video]

quote of the day: "are you getting all a's?"
GoBears635
concordtom;842402598 said:

So, my brother took the tickets and went. Sent me a photo of the new squad from behind the bench late in the game during a timeout. I just went back to look for it - "hey, wait! where's the fuchsia shirt?" I scanned the opposite sideline, not finding anything next to MM, where you were previously next to big Walton. BUT, there IS a fuchsia shirt over to the right, in front of the Straw Hat Band. Is that you? I can't tell b/c the image is too blurry to see your face. It looks like Taylor ditched you, and whomever is on the other side of you. You look lonely in your seated pose. Bored, perhaps is a better word. Clearly, Acorn State was not worth the flight. They need to practice their transition D, for starters. MM, by the way, called a good game. You could see how he clearly cares about the guys.

He called Singer a reluctant shooter. I wanted to ask him back, "Mike, how does a kid who averaged over 30 in hs become a "reluctant shooter"???

Yes, that was the shockster. There were other folks in the crowd wearing fuchsia, but none that looked like dumb azz's to me. Taylor was on his left (our right, as we were across the floor) as long as he was seated, but did distance herself from him by the equivalent of one chair width (an open space) for much of the second half.

This team is certainly gonna be fun to watch with their pass-first mentality. Very fast paced and lots of back door cuts. Monty will eventually get the picture.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Marshawn Lynch to C.J. Anderson 'Remember where we came from'[/SIZE]

Shocky1

good thing taylor & i did morning yoga on the marina green & also rode bikes across the golden gate bridge because we indulged in a couple of non nicodemus sanctioned tasty san francisco culinary specialities

egbear82
Ok Shocky I showed that pic of the sandwich to my wife and she won't let me back in the house until I can tell her where to get one! Please do tell!!!!��
Shocky1
egbear82;842403021 said:

Ok Shocky I showed that pic of the sandwich to my wife and she won't let me back in the house until I can tell her where to get one! Please do tell!!!!��

hey eg, gotta get you back in the house, that's the crab & shrimp lobster stand in front of alioto's on fisherman's wharf served up on delicious sourdough bread...if you prefer a fresh lobster sandwich, there's a stand nearby too
egbear82
Thank you Shocky! I thought maybe Scomas but I'll definitely be checking that stand out and it's nice getting back in from the cold!! :-)
First Page Last Page
Page 125 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.