cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,290,364 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
there are a lot of passionate cal empoyees like jay john, marco harris, mitch elkins, jennifer hunter, mohamed muqtar, stephanie toovey, lauren carey, gordon bayne, barry parsons, justin panarese, tyle jahnke etc. that tirelessly work their azzs off to 100% support our student athletes & the cal basketball program often behiind the scenes

one of them diamonds is brian raney (director of development, major gifts), a former bears basketball team manager during the ben "lean cuisine" braun era...check out his alumni newsletter, in the future it will also be circulated to all season tix holders for the 1st time...cal basketball is a tremendous national story that needs to be told near & far
http://calbea.rs/1FSjJYJ

yeah, brian is always at the games & fired up too...dude is not sleepwalking like a zombie thru life...do you feel that way too?

the magic of haas#
TheSouseFamily
Shocky1;842493389 said:

mike, congrats again on being named the athletic director of the #1 public university in the world

i would encourage you to raise your game & relentlessly work the gameday crowds like my pal, pat haden

bring your charming wife jeanne along with you too, she made me laugh in the parking lot behind haas after one of our victories by telling me (i was carrying my daughter shay's high heels) "i really llike your shoes" with a cute wink

energy#

I hope we set a higher bar than Pat Haden. Literally every major sports program is in worse condition (from a win/loss standpoint, at least) now than when he was hired. Here are the numbers for the biggest sports programs in the 5 years before Haden was hired and the 5 years since he was hired. Not a lot here to be proud of.

Football
Before Haden: 54-10
Since Haden: 44-21

Men's Basketball
Before Haden: 95-65
Since Haden: 66-94

Baseball
Before Haden: 150-139
Since Haden: 125-151

Women's Basketball
Before Haden: 90-64
since Haden: 87-72
Shocky1
souse, did i mention that pat is a member of pine valley?
Shocky1
big sauce, this is your life, you gotta figure out what's gonna make you happy in life, what makes you tick

this isn't about your dad's preferences, this isn't about your girlfriend's needs...no, this is your life

if you wanna stay in the midwest near home for college, that's fine

if you wanna travel to california & join your diamond friends at the #1 public university in the world & be a part of coach martin's love train, that's fine too

caleb, you don't wanna be 30 years old waking up with regrets...those who love you will eventually accept your dreams

Shocky1
jaylen hands, a dynamic 6' 150 lbs point guard from mater dei catholic & a top 20 player in the 2017 class, has been offered by the bears staff

"cal has done a great job of recruiting this year and that's something i'm looking at"
-jaylen hands

jaylen had been considered a ucla lean with arizona running a tight 2nd position but let's be real here, there's a new national powerhouse program in the united states with much stronger academics than both ucla & arizona that's located in the cosmopolitan san francisco bay area
CalEnviroLaw
Shocky1;842493675 said:

big sauce, this is your life, you gotta figure out what's gonna make you happy in life, what makes you tick

this isn't about your dad's preferences, this isn't about your girlfriend's needs...no, this is your life

if you wanna travel to california & join your diamond friends at the #1 public university in the world & be a part of coach martin's love train, that's fine too

caleb, you don't wanna be 30 years old waking up with regrets...those who love you will eventually accept your dreams

#No Regrets
HoopDreams
HoopDreams
[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=7]BEAST[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[video=youtube;NQT9VRj0uy8][/video]
Shocky1
Shocky1;841940994 said:

how did the bears get to this position where we might have an epic dream team collection of 4&5 star ballers/friends who might potentially lead cal to the final 4?

monty recongized that while jay john (formerly lute olson's tactical right arm) is a strong technician and teacher that the bears recruiting needed a jump start particularly as monty is not going to attend 200 hs/aau games a year...as recruits seemingly expect coaches to attend every game, recruiting has become a young coach's game...so monty moved john to the asst ad for basketball development which freed up the bears to have 3 tireless and relentless road warriors on the recruiting trail: decuire, gottlieb and monty jr

next move was to promote travis decuire to associate head coach...imo decruire will be the next head bb coach at cal...should be noted that when bird called to commit he called decuire 1st and then monty...numerous recruits including both bird and matthews have mentioned their strong relationships with decruire

then monty hired the perfect graduate manager, theo robertson (played tenancious d/consumate team player/high achievement student)...young players/recruits have already gravitated toward this likely future asst coach

roster clearing with the transfers of murray and rossi who both could see the handwriting on the wall that they were never going to play any meaningful minutes on sweet 16 and better teams...it should be pointed out that both are hardworking kids and that that they left in good academic standing which means the apr hit for cal will be minimzed

sami not qualifying by a mile (or a kilometer for that matter) also opened up another spot

so the bears are now left with 12 scholly players on the roster (13 allowed by the ncaa) with bak bak, smith and the thurminator all graduating which means we currently have 4 schollys to offer for 2013

with the humble ringleader bird and his dad carl in the fold, matthews (interested in haas biz ad, dad is an asst coach at ucla/former usf hc) hopefully commiting this weekend during his official visit, lee's mother (moms know best) favoring cal the most and the bears still in the running for singer (over 30 ppg avg as a jr, nov 10th official visit), german export/import schilling, blue collar jones, hamilton and maybe brown (dad is the lakers hc) and of course the grand prize, gordon, cal recruiting is in a potentially spectacular position for success

you think the powe, ubaka, kately, and mcguire class was comparable?...other than ayinde, the rest were marginal students (and this is not a knock on leon powe whose unsettled early years are a source of inspiration in beating the odds) and the inevitable transfers/nba departures ensued

bird has a gpa over 3.00 and matthews rocks a 3.55 gpa...lee has a 3.2 gpa with an interest in child psychology with english & history as his best subjects and considered duke, gordon had stanford on his list, singer has a 3.4 gpa at an academically tough hs and is also considering both stanford and harvard...monty and decuire are recruiting great student athletes, not just great basketball players like braun's earlier class

2014 is also shaping up with the early commit from amhaad rorie, a seatle pg who is blowing up on the national scene with a 25 ppg avg as only a soph and a heady 3.8 gpa

hopefully local 5 star ivan rabb from bod will decide to be the ringleader for the 2015 class

#1 ranked public university in the world-university of california, berekeley

dominoes baby#

haas will be rocking again...go bears!

life is not linear, touch the sky

cal's monster class#
MisterNoodle
Shocky1;842493675 said:

+1 everyone learns this life lesson at some point. Hopefully not too late.
Shocky1
MisterNoodle;842493731 said:

+1 everyone learns this life lesson at some point. Hopefully not too late.

Shocky1
roosevelt, at some point are you gonna let your big sauce grow up & maybe say "son, i love you, you will always have my full & unconditional support no matter what, follow your dreams in life...and tuck in your shirt too"

cal is a dream school#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842488444 said:

august 13th-depart san francisco, ivan (wearing a raiders t shirt) hugs tami goodbye
august 14th-cross international dateline, roger shows everybody his well stamped up passport
august 15th-arrive melbourne, tour melbourne & meet shelias
august 16th-game #1
august 17th-tour old melbourne gaol, tyson tells t-wall that joeys got hops
august 18th-game #2
august 19th-depart for sydney, look for jordan's lost luggage & get jabari some popcorn (but don't tell nicodemus)
august 20th-game #3
august 21st-tour sydney, bail (k)rooks & the king out of jail, tracy & wyking take selfies at the opera house
august 22nd-depart for brisbane, drive to gold coast, stephen sings showtunes on bus (brandon distributes ear plugs)
august 23rd-game #4
august 24th-arrive in san francisco, huf visits with the parents of a key bears target in san mateo, a 3rd grader (honor roll) with a solid mid range game

down under#

this trip is gonna be a ******* disaster...the freshmen are gonna share a 4 person suite when the **** hits the fan: jaylen snores like a drunk hippo while mumbling j cole lyrics, tyson is up all nite tweeting about representing ok-city, ivan is non stop reading the "cal monster's class" thread/listening to the linked tunes & davon just wants better looking (ok, female) roommates...if that big sauce dude shows up too, all hell is gonna break loose, this is gonna be a jailbreak...coach martin should bring moms sandra to keep the peace, the young ones will not mess with her, that will not happen

anyways, the team will take their 10 ncca allocated practices back in berkeley before boarding the love train down under...the trip will be more about team bonding & sightseeing than playing basketball

as prez of the brenden glapion fan club, taylor coerced me at the team banquet into sponsoring the san francisco richmond district's greatest basketball player of all time...jay john is looking for just a couple more $5,500 tax deductible donations per player to get all the boyz on the trip of a lifetime...my current 1st wife kat & i have often commented that if we didn't live in los estados unidos, we would live in oz (love the people, the relaxed/athletic lifestyle & outdoor friendly weather)

brenden, trust me on this, you had better write taylor a thank you note after this trip, ok?...watch the "touch the sky" video in the post above with kayne, do you see them sisters riding the azz of kan-evil?...well taylor will be screaming at you the same way on friday november 13th when cal takes on rice in what will be a truly epic opening nite for the ages at haas, you don't want that...want some advice, when you write the thank you, leave out the part about them curvy brunettes at bondi beach (trust me on this)...don't be a dumb azz (a lot of people have minted a lot of $ in the biz world by doing all the small things right, like writing them thank you notes)

crazy times for cal basketball#
HoopDreams

HoopDreams
[SIZE=4][COLOR="#000080"][FONT=Arial Black]the man in the middle[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shocky1
currently attending my daughter shay's high school year end team lacrosse banquet

shay just received the team mvp trophy, the coach recalled the following conversation leaving the field together one evening after an important victory over a rival school:

coach ashley: "shay, great game and what an amazing sunset this evening!"

shay: "i've seen better"

run roh, somebody needs to start going to yoga more often with her dad

shay's high expectations remind me of coach martin's comments at the cal basketball team banquet, "gotta work hard this offseason, there's only gonna be one team standing at the end of the season"

love you, shayster

touch the sky#
Shocky1
for those bringing their clubs to oz this winter (reverse seasons):

1. royal melbourne (west)-dr alister mackenzie's sandbelt gem, top 2-3 course in the world

2. lost farms (tasmania)-coore & crenshaw modern classic

3. kingston heath-beautifully routed on a small parcel of land

4. barnbougle dunes (tasmania)-tom doak masterpiece with wildly contoured green sites

5. new south wales-only course near sydney worth playing

6. ellerston-kerry packard's private residence (richest man in australia), only 400 rounds a year & one set of tees at 7300 yards (set up at 7100 yards playing firm & fast the day i visited, greg norman design)

7. royal melbourne (east)-recently renovated by tom doak

8. st andrews beach-mornington peninsula gem, best public course in oz

9. royal adelaide-has lost much of its sandy features but still worth playing

10.victoria-best starting hole in australia

all of these courses are walkable designs, australians are fit people, golf carts are for lazy azz americans that drive mini vans to dunkin' donuts (talking about you, sean miller)
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]shocky's got some fashion competition
and I heard that orange is the new fuchsia[/SIZE]

MisterNoodle
HoopDreams;842493972 said:

[SIZE=5]shocky's got some fashion competition
and I heard that orange is the new fuchsia[/SIZE]

Dashing!

Anyone know what flag that is behind them?
mikecohen
MisterNoodle;842493973 said:

Dashing!

Anyone know what flag that is behind them?

I'm guessing it's the flag of AEPi, a Jewish Fraternity
Shocky1
happy birthday 20th birthday to san francisco's cable car baller, stephen domingo

note the video below from the sf pro am league is a year old...when i saw him at a bears closed practice before the season, domingo demonstrated a lethal perimeter shooting stroke but floated too much on the perimeter & didn't attack the basket or put a body on guys defensively

a full blueshirt season later, coach martin at the team banquet recognized stephen as arguably the best defender (guarding 2s thru 5s) on the team during practices & coach christopher awarded both stephen & cole welle the s&c hardest workers awards...nicodemus told me that no what what grueling workouts he threw at stephen, the dude always asked for more

guy is a grinder, a staffer told me that he needs to work on his handle/ball skills as that will allow him to better attack the rim & prevent defenders from face guarding him behind the 3 point line

stephen, got no idea if you learned how to swim at garfield when you were 5 but 5 super bowls never looked so pretty

[video=youtube;OqQZWUAZq6g][/video]

cal family#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842485560 said:

"i've gotten to this point in my career and realized that, yeah, i've got a lot more dreams and i want to go further but at the same time i don't want to do it if it's at the expense of my happiness...and i don't want to do it if it's at the expense of my sanity or if i have to become someone who is so out of touch with what's real, the people that love you and the people that you love"
-j cole

follow one's heart (not the shoes)#

jaylen knows that on june 24th he's gonna start the adventure of a lifetime with the start of cal's summer bridge program in berkeley, california

50 year friendships#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842492436 said:

[video=youtube;XkUq7LX9gZ8][/video]

fast forward to coach martin's response at the 16:45 mark when he responds to a question re: what cities in australia the bears will be visiting this upcoming august

coach martin: "lisbon"

uhhh, coach, lisbon is in portugal

no wonder coach martin never talks to me, no he's not gonna do that, he's gonna see me from afar

shut up, shocky#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842368060 said:

enjoyed a lovely dinner at the intimate & charming frascati's tonite on russian hill with family & friends on a beautifully clear fall evening in san francisco

after dinner while we were strolling thru little italy in north beach i wandered off by myself to check out an old lady of an undeterminable ethnic background methodically checking the street's garbage cans for recyclable cans & bottles

i say hello, she smiles & keeps working

so mr world traveler says hello in a dozen+ languages, she smiles & keeps working

so i pick up a few cans in the gutter, crush them with the heel of my dress shoes & put them in her shopping cart, she smiles & keeps working

i'm done talking (still hoarse from the game this afternoon at memorial) so we just quietly work together collecting cans & bottles...our pace develops a cadence & rhythm of two hearts working together

shay & taylor drift over to see what their crazy azz dad is doing now & then they start helping her too, the old lady still hasn't said anything...the only sounds are of cans being crushed, seagulls squawking & a police siren in the distance

finally it's time to leave so i give her all my cash in my pockets (just a little south of $1,000), she barely looks at the money & is instead eyeing my green plastic perrier bottle in my jacket...so i give her that bottle too...she smiles broadly now & says something in a language i don't understand

as we are leaving, i take one final look back over my shoulder to see if the old lady is gonna take her cash home & call it a night

nope, she is still working

her indefatigable & quietly stoic work ethic reminds me of mothers everywhere who tirelessly work to support & keep their families together...she is my mom, your mom, ivan rabb's mom, oscar frayer's mom, dwight tarwater's mom, she is everyone's mom

i love you, mom

-your mama's boy

happy mother's day to all the moms, thx you for all that you do that is often under appreciated & often unrecognized
going4roses
shocky quoting j cole .... wow
socaltownie
Shocky1;842493996 said:

happy birthday 20th birthday to san francisco's cable car baller, stephen domingo

note the video below from the sf pro am league is a year old...when i saw him at a bears closed practice before the season, domingo demonstrated a lethal perimeter shooting stroke but floated too much on the perimeter & didn't attack the basket or put a body on guys defensively

a full blueshirt season later, coach martin at the team banquet recognized stephen as arguably the best defender (guarding 2s thru 5s) on the team during practices & coach christopher awarded both stephen & cole welle the s&c hardest workers awards...nicodemus told me that no what what grueling workouts he threw at stephen, the dude always asked for more

guy is a grinder, a staffer told me that he needs to work on his handle/ball skills as that will allow him to better attack the rim & prevent defenders from face guarding him behind the 3 point line

stephen, got no idea if you learned how to swim at garfield when you were 5 but 5 super bowls never looked so pretty

[video=youtube;OqQZWUAZq6g][/video]

cal family#

SD looks like he has added significant bulk to where he was at GT. We are going to be scary good.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=6][COLOR="#000080"][FONT=Arial Black]together again?[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shocky1
big sauce, isn't it time you got on coach martin's love train with your friends & go on the ride of your life at the #1 public university in the world?

the train is gonna start on june 24th in berkelely, california & then leave the station on august 13th for australia...i dunno maybe it will stop in lisbon but i kinda doubt it...this train is going somewhere in life, do you wanna be stuck in the midwest your whole life?

caleb, live a little

Shocky1
Shocky1;842472957 said:

today indiana's governor mike pence signed behind closed doors (which is ironic in itself) the religious freedom restoration act which will allow discrimination based upon religious views & sexual orientation, it is a slap in the face to those of us that embrace diversity & civil rights

a similar piece of legislation is pending in michigan

big sauce, are you tired of living in the freezing azz cold & the socially azz backwards midwest?...do you really want to waste your college experience at purdue or michigan state?

the university of california, berkeley was at the epicenter of america's social awakening in the sixties, does that appeal to you?...do you want to grow as a person & become truly an enlightened citizen of the world?

caleb, the san francisco bay area is truly a melting pot of people from all walks of life, it's up to you & your personal values system if you wanna get on the love train

ask ivan#

big sauce, is the midwest really this ******* dumb azz backwards?
Shocky1
west layafette

san francisco

big sauce, this **** isn't that complicated
Shocky1
Shocky1;842479808 said:

did you know that despite earning millions in the nba that bobby hurley squandered his life's savings & lost his family's horse estate because of financial mismanagement/non performing investments related to the ponies

i dunno maybe bobby can mentor his sun devils re: the fastest mudder in the 3rd race at belmont, the best books in jersey, the tightest slots in vegas & **** like that...when he tells his guys we're off to the races, he means it

don't be a dumb azz#

during bobby's 1st week on the job in tempe he met with an influential donor group of sun angels & promised them he wouldn't build the program with disgruntled transfers & junior college dudes with criminal records like herbie...hurley promised them he would make asu the duke of the west with guys that excel in the classroom

but then reality got in the way

bobby has already chased off 3 student athletes:
**chance murray
**connor macdougal
**sai tummala

hurley has talked his buffalo point guard to transfer to asu & signed a junior college big obinna oleka who was suspended at central florida college for "violation of team rules"

bobby is also making a run at 5 star thon maker who intends to arrive at his selected college in january & then leave in march...maker isn't even a one & done, he's more like on the 10 week plan

gotta check with my current 1st wife (a sun devil) to see if you can even graduate from asu in 10 weeks, who knows

one thing is known, bobby is no coach k, but he's gonna get his way with his starting 5, that's a fix for sure

no wonder asu is the #1 ranked college in the world for producing the most strippers

bobby has gotten commitment from another jc guy, maurice o'field

maurice is a transfer from midland community college after running into academic problems at the harvard of the southeast, east tennessee state

asu fans are gonna eventually figure out that bobby is recruiting a bunch of dumb azzs just like herbie

whatever
TheSouseFamily
HoopDreams;842494206 said:

[SIZE=6][COLOR="#000080"][FONT=Arial Black]together again?[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Is it just me or does Zimmerman look like a serial killer?
Shocky1
TheSouseFamily;842494332 said:

Is it just me or does Zimmerman look like a serial killer?

that's too funny, that's exactly what taylor & i thought looking at him from close up on the floor of the nike hoop summit in portland

slow hands#

HoopDreams
[SIZE=4]https://twitter.com/YoungIvee/status/597604922842947584/video/1[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
First Page Last Page
Page 190 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.