cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,274,363 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842492025 said:

while not wanting to limit any player's potential upside, coach martin is very candid in transparently communicating each player's role within the basketball program...he mentioned several times at the banquet he does not want to stockpile players (kentucky's platoon system) & that he wants each player to have an important & well defined role in order to build cohesive team chemistry & avoid the epidemic of transfers which are currently decimating the college landscape (washington will basically field a brand new roster next season)

coach martin would like roger to become a lethal defensive stopper...with rmb's length & strong motor he has the skills set & warrior mentality to develop into a lockdown defender against high scoring wings...roger's just gotta also hit the open jumper/finish around the rim in order to earn minutes

So, he's gotta hit the open jumper in order to become a lockdown defender?
stu
concordtom;842492035 said:

Can't be a lockdown defender sitting on the bench. Can't get off the bench without being able to hit a few wide open shots.
Shocky1
concordtom;842492035 said:

yes, that is correct, roger has gotta hit the open jumper/finish around the rim in order to become a lockdown defender with playing time

when rmb started at pauley pavillion, alford instructed his ucla defenders to not guard either roger or sam...this resulted in double teaming of other guys and contributed to the bruins destruction of the bears that afternoon...the bears need every player on the floor to be multiple both offensively & defensively

this is one of the many shortcomings of watching cal basketball on tv, you only see what the cameras show you, you seldom hear the instructions of the coaches & you don't hear/feel the impact loud crowds make upon the outcome of the games...i went to around 30 cal games last season plus ivan & jaylen's all star games in portland & brooklyn, these live events add to the texture of the cal basketball experience

as arguably the foremost golf architecture critic/traveler in the world, i have zero interest in discussing specific designs with people that have not played those courses...doing so is usually pointless & a waste of time

life is not linear (or a video game), live it fully & freely
mikecohen
stu;842492080 said:

Can't be a lockdown defender sitting on the bench. Can't get off the bench without being able to hit a few wide open shots.

Hitting wide open shots is sometimes not so easy - as the Warriors showed last night
Cal8285
concordtom;842492033 said:

No kidding. I don't think it rained on Feb 8, let alone in all of Feb, or Jan, or March or April either...
Interesting. Why is it that you don't think it rained on Feb 8? That makes no sense. When rain is rare, then the times when it DOES rain become more memorable. I have no trouble remembering that it rained on Feb 8, in part because the rain has been so rare that when it does happen, the rainy days don't just blend into each other, they are much easier to remember.

If you were just kidding, you should do a better job of indicating that. If you weren't kidding, then to the extent you have any credibility, it just took a big hit.

Here's a link to an sfgate article, maybe it will help refresh your recollection. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Sunny-skies-returning-to-Bay-Area-for-foreseeable-6071088.php
Shocky1
Shocky1;842488106 said:

huf told the banquet group how he's leaving the cal basketball offices late at nite & twice in the last week or so he hears footsteps up to the gold gym (haas pavilion is currently undergoing the haas/goldman family's generous $10+million improvements) & it's roger relentlessly working on his game

coach hufnagel noted that when times are challenging for players, there's 2 very different directions a player's career can take at that point...rmb has taken the path of sweat & hard work

roger made a point of telling me "that all the guys appreciate your energy and support"...roger, you & your teammates along with prospective recruits have always been my targeted audience, from the bottom of my heart, merci beaucoup

the traveling bear#

taylor & i spoke with roger in the buffet line after i asked him "como tele vous?"

roger's early years were in paris (he's fluent in french) & he completed much of his schooling in cameroon...he told us that in cameroon you take 16 classes a day with teachers transitioning in & out of classrooms all day long, we agreed that's not a particularly effective educational system in learning the subject matters in depth

we told him how we spent this past xmas in cape town (including a heartbreaking tour of a shantytown and a ferry ride & tour to nelson mandela's wrongful inprisonment on robben island) & new year's on safari in krueger national park marveling at the big five

roger speaks with positive energy & communicates with articulate warmth...there can be zero doubt that rmb is an outstanding student athlete & that he will indelibly make his mark somewhere in the world...at the end of the conversation roger invited both taylor & i to visit/stay at his family's home in carmeroon

merci beaucoup, roger

mikecohen
Shocky1;842492194 said:

taylor & i spoke with roger in the buffet line after i asked him "como tele vous?"

roger's early years were in paris (he's fluent in french) & he completed much of his schooling in cameroon...he told us that in cameroon you take 16 classes a day with teachers transitioning in & out of classrooms all day long, we agreed that's not a particularly effective educational system in learning the subject matters in depth

we told him how we spent this past xmas in cape town (including a heartbreaking tour of a shantytown and a ferry ride & tour to nelson mandela's wrongful inprisonment on robben island) & new year's on safari in krueger national park marveling at the big five

roger speaks with positive energy & communicates with articulate warmth...there can be zero doubt that rmb is an outstanding student athlete & that he will indelibly make his mark somewhere in the world...at the end of the conversation roger invited both taylor & i to visit/stay at his family's home in carmeroon

merci beaucoup, roger

Et comment allez vous, Monsieur Shocky1?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842429298 said:

happy holidays from capetown, south africa

took my family to robben island where former president of south africa & human activist nelson mandela was imprisoned for 18 years because of his outspoken efforts to abolish apartheid (segregation) policies...to understand the roots of the civil rights movement in the united states & the university of california-berkeley's role in those important efforts, nelson mandela's courageous views should be studied & appreciated

we all went para gliding off signal mountain (adjacent to table mountain)...an experienced (and preferably sober) guide flies with you

also said hello to the warm weather penguins (only other place i've seen them is melbourne) in simon's town

today we spent christimas morning in a shantytown, to see the reactions in the eyes of my kids shay, taylor & kyle is something i won't forget for a while...we were invited into homes made creatively out of virtually every construction piece of material possible, a one room house the size of a cal dorm rooming sleeping 10 people (3 families) every night

we ate lunch with a family, the mom had a 7 inch knife scar on her neck...as we left we all told lele & her family merry christmas & i gave her a gift of rands equal to a year's wages which was received with tears & appreciation...lele is a heroic mom doing the best she can under unimaginable circumstances, she is my idol

moms matter#

one of the greatest stories in cal basketball history is bak bak from sudan beating incomprehensible odds to graduate from the #1 public ranked university in the world

i would strongly suggest you read this sfgate article re: one of my favorite bears of all time

http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/tafur/article/Cal-s-Bak-Bak-survives-as-child-to-play-as-adult-3241983.php

cal family#
GinsuBear
I actually attended Bak's graduation from Village Christian, so it was gratifying to watch him receive his Cal degree.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842484426 said:

a loud bear territory welcome to wyking jones, his wife estrella (grew up in berkeley, her sister is a professor at cal), his daughter zoe & son jameel on joining the cal basketball family

wyking comes from rick pitino's highly successful louisville program where he help coached the cards to 2 final four appearances & a national championship in 2013...prior to louisville king worked at new mexico & pepperdine and as a travel team manager for nike's elite youth basketball program...dude has serious game credibility having played international ball professionally for 6 years after graduating from loyala marymount with a degree in business management...his college career included a monster 39 points, 16 rebounds & 5 blocks explosion vs the usf dons

coach martin's hiring of the charismatic recruiter/noted big man skills developer reflects cal's growing commitment to an elite basketball program that will be competing at the highest levels on a national stage...jones made a base salary of $375k at louisville & cal donors like califortunate are working behind the scenes to make sure the progam has the necessary resources to continue moving forward on the current rapidly climbing upward trajectory

and yeah, wyking is kinda intimidating in this mcondalds commercial, sure hope he's not that eating that **** off camera, nicodemus would not approve of that, no not all
[video=youtube;GpwGN1HYXuQ][/video]

cal family#

"i saw a unique opportunity to be able to come back home and start a new journey here at cal...all the sacrifice that my wife and kids have made, i saw the opportunity to come back home for them, for me, for all of us...we're all very excited about the direction the program has taken, the excitement across the country"

"when i saw coach hired here, i knew that ivan would want to play for cuonzo and his staff...i always knew ivan was going to end up here"
-wyking jones
Chapman_is_Gone
89Bear;842490502 said:

So, Lebron never missed a big free throw????? He missed A TON of important shots earlier in his career. Yet, he is one of the greatest to ever play the game. Your post shows that you simply don't understand sports. That's not the end of the world, of course. You just look like an idiot on a sports board.

LOL. I stand by what I said, because it's 100% true. And, I bet you $100 I've seen Rabb play in person more than you have. So shove it.
Shocky1
"at the end of the day i know ivan from talking to him, he's a kid who's very proud to be from the bay area"
-wyking jones

https://vimeo.com/45797764
Chapman_is_Gone
grandmastapoop;842490792 said:

Bro, anyone using the term "man card" is a clown.

I agree with this. However, it is a common phrase on sports message boards. First time I've ever used it.

To all the haters: Do not argue with me that an air ball represents a clutch trip to the free throw line. Stop embarrassing yourself. Ivan himself would agree with me.
Shocky1
[video=youtube;XkUq7LX9gZ8][/video]
CalEnviroLaw
Gotta update that aerial photo of Cape Town. It does not have the fantastic 2010 World Cup stadium on the waterfront at Green Point. Saw the World Cup 2010 Semifinal there. Good times.
Shocky1
mikecohen;842492213 said:

Et comment allez vous, Monsieur Shocky1?

je suis trs bon, monsieur cohen

cal basketball, c'est magnifique!

george v#
Shocky1
[video=youtube;8_V2NE2l3EU][/video]

california dreamin'#
Shocky1
dylan ennis will be another graduate transfer senior at oregon further confirming dana altman's mission statement of recruiting basketball players to play basketball on the basketball court with a basketball without any academic progress/goals

this will be the 3rd stop for ennis after also enrolling at rice & villanova

coach martin>>sean "dunkin' donuts" miller>>>special k>>>>>>>>>>>>tad "hairpiece" boyle>>>>johnny "beep beep" dawkins>>bobby "the ponies" hurley>>plankton>>>>>pieces of **** on the sidewalk>>rapist enabler steve alford>>criminal dana altman

just do it#
Shocky1
OzoneTheCat;842491098 said:

ESPN 2015 Class Rankings have been updated...Cal up to #6

1. Duke
2. Kentucky
3. LSU
4. Michigan State
5. Arizona
6. Cal
7. Texas A&M
8. Syracuse
9. Ohio State
10. Florida

reranked for academic excellence:

1. Cal
2. Duke
3. Texas A&M
4. Syracuse
5. Ohio State
6. Florida
7. GED certification
8. Michigan State
9. Prison certification
10. Arizona
11. LSU
12. Kentucky
Shocky1
caleb, in watching you in person at both the high school all star games in portland & brooklyn, it's pretty obvious you got serious ball skills for a dude your size & also that you got a nasty streak (thx your dad for coaching you up from the trenches of the nfl)

but it was also clear that to dominate against taller elite level bigs with length that you're gonna have to significantly elevate your s&c work...you even made some public comments confirming this after the game at the barclays center

so who do you trust to help you achieve your s&c goals while still making it fun?

is nicodemus christopher the right guy for you?...his conference call with jaylen might've been the tipping point a couple of days before his public commitment at his team banquet

real talk: you're gonna spend more time with your s&c coach than the head coach

my daughter taylor & i were the last people to leave the cal basketball team banquet because we're talking with fallon smith & her husband nicodemus...nico promised me before the season that he would get a female yoga teacher for the guys & he updated me that he's gotta a couple of potential yoga instructors in mind including one with nba experience

real talk: i told christopher that the guys don't wanna be stretched out by him all the time, nothing personal

cal family#
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4566[/ATTACH]

diamonds are forever#
concordtom
Cal8285;842492110 said:

Interesting. Why is it that you don't think it rained on Feb 8? That makes no sense. When rain is rare, then the times when it DOES rain become more memorable. I have no trouble remembering that it rained on Feb 8, in part because the rain has been so rare that when it does happen, the rainy days don't just blend into each other, they are much easier to remember.

If you were just kidding, you should do a better job of indicating that. If you weren't kidding, then to the extent you have any credibility, it just took a big hit.

Here's a link to an sfgate article, maybe it will help refresh your recollection. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Sunny-skies-returning-to-Bay-Area-for-foreseeable-6071088.php

This is kind of silly.
We are in the midst of a major drought. I recall serious rain in December, thinking the drought would end, but then since then the rain has been scant. Even this storm (thank you for the reminder) was rumored to be torrential, and ended up being relatively piddly. It petered out and the drought continues.
I am impressed that you are able to recall that it rained on Feb 8. Perhaps you have a superior memory than me, or are one of those people who can recall every date in history - what you wore, ate, who you saw (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marilu-henner-super-memory-totally-a-gift/)
I cannot recall what day of the week Feb 8 was, or what I was doing. Sorry.
If that means I am less credible to you, I guess I can live with that.
Yes, I was making a more general statement about our recent lack of rain. I thought that would be commonly understood as a quip, not subject to inspection as to my credibility. But, this is Internet blogging. Does ANYONE here own credibility? Maybe MoragaBear. That's it.
Shocky1

and by the way, big sauce's shirt isn't pink, it's fuschia

NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842493018 said:

You're so passive aggressive it isn't funny.
Shocky1

berkeley, california=home of them mcdonalds dudes

ronald could not be reached for a comment
Shocky1

swanigan is weighing the possibility of playing alongside fellow mcdonalds all american/close friends ivan rabb & jaylen rabb at cal

"i like purdue...i like who they have there right now...they're big, they feed the post and they always get the ball inside and it's right here at home...i want another big that i can throw it to kind of like i have it with dana (batt, 6'9" high school teammate)...sometimes dana looks like a five and sometimes i look like a five...you never know, it doesn't matter...you have to show that you can play everywhere on the floor...i don't want to be pigeon holed where i have to do all the rebounding and all the dirty work...announce when i'm going to announce soon"
-caleb swanigan

big sauce, cali isn't freezing azz heavy jacket weather...do you like cold weather or something?...are you an eskimo?

Shocky1
Shocky1;842469781 said:

according to my fashionista daughter taylor who is an unrecruited soph in high school, cal's mid season losing streak can be attributed to "to the very ugly and unattractive grey jerseys, the bears play and look so much better in the vibrant blue, stunning yellow and crisp white uniforms which are a lot more fashion forward on point"

whatever

what not to wear#

big sauce, when you speak to the cal coaches today, are you gonna ask wyking when the bears are gonna lose them ugly azz grey unis next season?

priorities#
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842477717 said:

classic#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842478675 said:

what's a boilermaker?#

big sauce, you're not down with that foo foo lame ****
HoopDreams
[SIZE=6]things are shaking at Cal...

Final ESPN girl rankings out, and Cal signs another top class with three top 100 players[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=5]#8 Kristine Anigwe Five Star

#52 Chen Yue Five Star

#82 Breanna Cavanaugh Four Star
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
HoopDreams
[SIZE=6]looks good in blue and gold...
[/SIZE]
BearsObserver
it's the Real Madrid road shirt ...

http://www.worldsoccershop.com/65040.html

Shocky1;842493018 said:

Shocky1
Shocky1;842483508 said:

who are these guys on the california golden bears basketball team?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (currently playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow*-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish*-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
christian behrens*-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion-4.1 gpa@washington
dwight tarwater*-3.9 gpa@webb school
xavier valdes-4.0 gpa@woodlands
davon dillard-3.0+ gpa@our savior new amereican school
tyson jolly-3.1 gpa@putnam city west
ivan rabb-3.15 gpa@bishop o'dowd
jaylen brown-3.1 gpa@wheeler

*will graduate/graduated from cal joining 2012 grads bak bak, brandon smith & robert thurman

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract..patrick christopher, justin cobbs & richard solomon all have around one remaining semester of schoolwork necessary to earn their cal degrees...as the wise marco harris once told me, men take care of their business

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with stanford and the ivy leagues most noteably harvard

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) in today's highly competitive global economy and legitimate collegiate institutions of higher learning with an academic purpose...if you go to an academically mediocre school like kentucky or arizona & get injured you are ******

academic ambition is a beautiful thing, it will open doors in business after your basketball days are over & help you meet the girl of your dreams (and you're not thinking about it now but it will also help you raise intellectually curious children someday)...you can be limitless mentally

let's do this

don't be a dumb azz#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

jaylen, your academic work while at cal will move you in the right direction of pursuing your quest of someday becoming a nba genral manager/owner

bears are smart#
Shocky1

mike williams will be introduced this morning as cal's next athletic director

at the basketball team banquet coach martin made several comments affirming his appreciation of williams

this is the right move, as cal basketball continues it's current tremendous upward trajectory it's critical that the athletic director work with all stakeholders to ensure that the current important plans for increasing fan attendance (particularly for students), raising the salaries of assistant coaches & staff, and building a new dedicated basketball practice facility for both the men's & women's programs are seen thru completion

mike has listened to me re: my suggestions for allowing all students to attend games at haas free of charge...coach martin has punted on this issue with the statement that this is an "administration issue"...it should be pointed out that the revenues from student season passes are only $30k which is a drop in the bucket compared to the long term cash flow from lifelong fandom for potential future season tix sales & generous donations...both san diego state & gonzaga, the top 2 teams on the west coast for college basketball attendance, allow all of their students to attend home games free of charge

mike & ash, allowing students to attend all games free of charge at haas is not only the right thing to do but also offers a likely tremendous return on investment...just because cal has not done this in the past is no reason to not progressively make dramatic changes...cal basketball has more buzz & momentum than any other college basketball program in the nation right now, we all need to work together to capitalize on this epic opportunity

mike also responded back to me re: my extensive marketing efforts with respects to the foundation building with the diamonds are forever class (2015) senior day oregon state wildly fun & enthusiastic gameday visits with ivan rabb, davon dillard, caleb swanigan & oscar frayer (the leader of the howlin' at the moon class (2016) in the haas

congrats mike, you truly bleed blue & gold

let's do this
Shocky1
Shocky1;842307037 said:

pat haden is a former rose bowl winning qb at sc who also had a successful tenure at a flourishing private equity firm & is currently the athletic director at usc

he is really, really smart (rhodes scholar) & really, really gullible

pat & i have had 4 interactions during the last couple of yrs

1) i was on the practice putting green at san francisco golf club (where i used to caddie during my hs & cal days, rick rhoads was the pro then too) at 8:00 am on the thursday morning of the usc/cal fb game at att park when mr rhoads told me the visiting usc golf team would be sending out 3 groups (college golfers play notoriously slow, they tend to read putts from 3-4 spots before putting & then mark their balls even if they are a foot from the hole) & asked if i would like to go off the 10th tee as a single player with my caddie (which means i could walk 18 holes in 2 & 1/2 hrs instead of almost 5 hrs)

i thanked mr rhoads & yelled at at my caddie pat "hey pat, we're gonna go off on 10, grab some tees and let's roll"

so the other player putting on the green walks toward me and starts pulling tees out of his pockets...i said to him "sorry about that, i was talking to pat my caddie, you're pat haden, right"...and we had a nice converation (i did not ask him if the cash payment envelopes that ex bb head coach tim floyd used to pay oj mayo were athletic dept issued or from floyd's personal collection)

my caddie pat thought it was pretty great that a guest like me (a former caddie) would tell a guest to go get him some tees & when we finished our round the entire caddyshack high fived me

2) i was at a cal/usc game fb massacre at the coliseum in the high donor trojan section (al cowlings, oj's white bronco driver buddy & his drunk azz lady friend sat behind us) at midfield (they have hostesses bring you free food & drinks all game...they are very flirty but i behaved myself & did not ask for any lap dances)

so usc is up like 42-3 or something at halftime & an enthusiastic pat haden is making the rounds...when he gets to me he says "wow, this couldn't be going any better, could it?"

i told him "i don't know about that, maybe the bears could run the 2nd half kickoff back for a touchdown"

there's a flicker of recongition in his eyes as pat realizes i'm messing with him...he gives me a fake laugh & starts talking to the group next to me

3) pat haden is a member at lacc, the valley club of montecito & pine valley...i'm putting out on the 18th green of the north at los angeles country club with some buddies & i spot pat getting ready to tee off on the adjacent 1st tee

so i yell out "hey pat"...he looks over trying to figure out who i am, you can tell he has no idea who i am...so i yell again a little bit louder "hey pat" & start doing a couple of fist pumps while i yell his name

so haden finally yells back "hey, how's it going?" while fist pumping me back

i look him in the eyes & yell "go bears"

haden immediately stops fist pumping me back & his group all starts laughing...heard one of his guys saying "pat, i think you just got punked"

4) last nite i bought in front of galen a scalper tix from jeff capehart (who told me he was a former cal bb player in the 1980s) & then just sat in the 1st row behind the cal bench (i believe strongly in the principle in open seating)

there's a little walkway between the 1st row & the cal bench so who walks by but a widely smiling pat haden, most likely greatly enthused by the trojans clownpunking of the bears

so as he walks by i say "excuse me, pat, when will i will receiving a pine valley invitation from you?"

he looks at me & says with a wink "it all depends on your donations this year"

i look him in the eye (we're about the same height) & tell him, "pat, there's probably a better chance i'm going to donate to the el paso school of bartending that usc"

my buddy pat realizes i'm messing with him (again) & gives me another fake smile and walks away

kinda getting the vibe from pat that i ain't gonna be invited to sit on his selection commmitte for the next trojan bb hc

my favorite trojan#

mike, congrats again on being named the athletic director of the #1 public university in the world

i would encourage you to raise your game & relentlessly work the gameday crowds like my pal, pat haden

bring your charming wife jeanne along with you too, she made me laugh in the parking lot behind haas after one of our victories by telling me (i was carrying my daughter shay's high heels) "i really llike your shoes" with a cute wink

energy#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842435835 said:

so i wait until the usc player introductions & the lights are turned down at the galen center to snag a floor seat

but guess who's standing in front of me, waving an angry finger at me when the lights come back on?

my pal pat haden wearing an ugly azz grey/blue suit with a red striped tie

and pat is furious, honestly i think someone has sent him a link to the cal's monster class thread because he's turning bright orange like i'd poisoned traveler or something

pat: what you are doing here?

me: sitting?

pat: not here you're not, let's go

me: pat, i'm not sure that outfit is working for you

pat: (putting his hand on my shoulder to help me get up): let's go

me: pat, why can't i be your special guest tonite?

pat: (shaking his head & fuming and looking over at security) now

yeah, i got owned by my pal pat tonite

this ain't over

mailed it in#

mike, one of the added benefits of working the cal gameday crowds & shaking hands/welcoming almost everyone is that you can also act as an extra secruity guard for premium seats
First Page Last Page
Page 189 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.