cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,370,659 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
j kidd, like a lot of cal guys, met the girl of his dreams...j had a couple of mulligans along the way, what a rollercoaster

beware the crazzy ones#
Chapman_is_Gone
OdontoBear66;842443460 said:

So we will have people not buy tickets and have empty seats. Sounds like a plan to me. When the product gets better, price it, of course. Worst decision ever in Haas (since it went from Harmon) was to have the TV cameras up high at bad angle, but worse to have them showing on the donors seats.Get those cameras on the opposite side and show the students. At least they show up some of the time. The place always looks half empty to a TV viewerBad, bad marketing.

I agree with you completely. The TV cameras need to be lower and on the other side. Little details like this are critical, yet there is no one with Cal athletics who gives a damn.
Shocky1
Chapman_is_Gone;842443550 said:

I agree with you completely. The TV cameras need to be lower and on the other side. Little details like this are critical, yet there is no one with Cal athletics who gives a damn.

really, and when is the last time you spoke to anyone at cal athletics re: your concerns & tried to constructively to solve your problems?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842391431 said:

you like sitting on your azz for the half the game in his new platoon scheme with a dozen mcdonalds all americans sharing one basketball & the bench...the guy selling cokes at rupp is gonna get more action than 6'8" marcus lee (of course practicing is way more important in terms of nba skills development & fun than actually playing in basketball games according to some street agents)

ivan rabb's 5 finalists are cal, kentucky (tripping to lexington sunday & monday's blue/white scrimmage), arizona, kansas (november 7th) & ucla

coach cal is all business (he doesn't even pretend he's interested in any personal relationship with you) & emphasized the following key factors of the kentucky nba development factory during ivan's official visit:

*****playing 14-19 minutes per game will prepare you for the nba & coming off the bench cold
*****sharing playing time & one basketball with a dozen mcdonald all americans that all ruthlessly want your valuable playing time is an authentic replication of the cruel nba biz...the strongest predators will win out in the long run
*****the uber lux kentucky basketball dorms which are designed to minimize a player's unnecessary interactions with college students...if you wanna see students, you'll see them bundled up & lining up in the snow 3 hours before your games at rupp
*****an unlimited # of twitter followers & groupies
*****the state of the art kentucky basketball std health clinic which is open 24/7
*****seminars on important nba topics like the proper stowing of firearms in your vehicle for your personal safety
*****a reaffirmation that "reading books and **** like that is a total waste of time" in preparing yourself for the nba draft
*****financial advice re: the economic dangers of giving back too much to your high school & community instead of funneling money into your lavish nba cribs mansion with a tricked out game room
*****criminal defense firm near campus with experienced barristers "in case some bitch gets out of line"...you are legally entitled to a strong pimp hand at the trap house
*****the benefits of distance (2,382 miles from oakland to lexington) in order to "block out distractions like your mom & younger brother"

coach cal is the man#

5 star blue chipper 2015 big man thomas bryant is focusing on 4 schools: kentucky, syracuse, indiana & missouri

"you don't want to go to a place where they will recruit a ton of guys in your spot and you'd be that benchwarmer that plays two or three minutes a game and then comes out...that's what i'm looking for in kentucky"
-thomas bryant

2014 kentucky big man allocation of minutes:

willie-cauley stein-24.9 minutes per game
trey lyles-21.7 minutes per game
karl towns-19.3 minutes per game
dakari johnson-18.8 minutes per game
marcus lee-12.8 minutes per game

coach cal already has received commitments from post men skal labissiere (top 5 player in the 2015 class) & new zealand sensation tai wynyard (6'9" fully developed brute's dad is a world champion wood chopping champion)...wynyard is deciding whether to reclassify from 2016 to this year's 2015 class

coach cal in addition to bryant is also relentlessly recruiting thon maker (strong chance of reclassifying from 2016 to 2015), cheick diallo, stephen zimmerman, caleb swanigan & ivan rabb

business decision#
GoldenBear1
Man oh man, Bears need good news on the recruiting front this spring.
Optimistic Coach Martin and his staff will get the job done.
Hear tons of noise from Tennessee haters gloating that he's a terrible coach.
Are recruits going to sign on to join him at Cal to shut these fools up or are they going to leave the hardest working (plus sweet 16 last year) coaching staff empty handed?
With the right mix of talent this program is right away a legit contender.
Getting our returning players into roles they are capable of succeeding at will help the young talent around them flourish. It has the potential to be a great great rebound for Coach and the program.
Only question is do elite recruits take the challenge of being a Golden Bear and are the staff closers?

Go Bears!
Shocky1
coach cal will have 5 bigs on the wildcats roster for 2015...how the minutes play out will be based upon performance

he really isn't interested in talking to you about your high school classes or your younger brother's interest in architecture or whether or not your mom is a world class chef

it's all about basketball, baby, and if you break your leg that's just tough ****

business decision#
parentswerebears
Keep what we have, get Rabb and Dorsey here and I think we are top of the Pac 12. Get Swanigan too, and we are top 25.
Big C
Chapman_is_Gone;842443550 said:

When Haas was being built, it seemed they were going to do it the "right way", i.e. all the good things about Harmon Gym, but with a larger capacity and better amenities.

Not quite.
BeachedBear
Big C_Cal;842443955 said:

When Haas was being built, it seemed they were going to do it the "right way", i.e. all the good things about Harmon Gym, but with a larger capacity and better amenities.

Not quite.

I'm going to need specifics here. I spent more years in Harmon than HAAS, but by and large they did a good job. I think there are many things at HAAS that could be improved in comparison to other venues (such as TV angles, scoreboards, announcer accoustics), but compared to Harmon what is so much worse that outweighs the better (bathrooms, ingress/egress, structural safety, water fountains, air conditioning, concession access - no comment on food quality, etc.)

:gobears:
Shocky1
Shocky1;842311886 said:

agreed that upshaw is a difference maker, with him washington could be a nit team and without him lose 20+ games

after being kicked out of fresno state, upshaw was suspended from all bb team activities including practices after the winter break when grades were released...prior to that he sat on the huskies bench during his redshirt season

upshaw's gonna need a strong spring (and probably summer) semesters to become academically eligible...and if he does squeeze by in terms of eligibility, how's that gonna work with him playing/traveling with the bb team next fall & schoolwork?

gotta be honest with you, upshaw lasted longer in seattle than i thought he would

almost one & done#
Bobodeluxe
http://seattletimes.com/html/huskybasketball/2025448528_uwmenshoops13xml.html

Oops!
Shocky1
Bobodeluxe;842444078 said:

http://seattletimes.com/html/huskybasketball/2025448528_uwmenshoops13xml.html

Oops!

per nba source

sad#
50 year decision#
HoopDreams
Cal freshman forward Mikayla Cowling (Benecia, Calif.) averaged 9.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game for the Bears last week, leading the team to wins over USC, 67-53, and UCLA, 72-57

[COLOR="#000080"]getting it done on the court and in the classroom[/COLOR]

[SIZE=6][FONT=Arial Black][COLOR="#000080"]Rep the Bay[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Congratulations David![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

HoopDreams

Shocky1
just opened the snail mail, received the following letter poststamped the evening of the asu blowout...it was hand addressed to me in what appears to be huf's handwriting (but not positive on that)

Understand the Process

One truth exists for all teams: no team will stay the same as the year goes on.

This means some will get better and some will not. Whether a team improves will depend on how players approach the "process." Improvement is a process, success is a process, becoming the best is a process.

The outcome is based on the mindset of the players as they approach this process. Some will give in to fatigue and boredom through the course of a long season. Others will believe in the power of the process and adopt a team mantra of "we will never get bored with the process." These are the teams that will put themselves in a position to be successful.

Three key ideas about success: (1) success does not exist in a vacuum...championship teams believe in teamwork (2) success takes time and (3) success is hard!

Play "as" a team and "through" the team.
Be mentally prepared to grind your success out.
Get past the hard.

Let the process begin!

Cuonzo Martin

Shocky1
playing around half the game ivan rabb scored 12 points with 8 boards as the bishop o'dowd dragons agricultured the hayward farmers 84-40

diamonds#
concordtom
Shocky1;842444050 said:

gotta be honest with you, upshaw lasted longer in seattle than i thought he would

almost one & done#

Eye for an eye.
Tooth for a tooth.
Hook for a hook.
ianbearnson
delete
Shocky1
Shocky1;842441231 said:

not that hard to imagine in the future dept: so the buzzer goes off in mckale arena with the bears 15 point victors led by td's 25 points, 7 boards & 6 monster dunk assists to teammate ivan rabb

the only sounds in mckale are 14,000 shocked old timers wearing red & white filing out of the arena heading back to their retirement communities, josh pasternack angrily kicking over chairs by himself like a dumb azz & espn reporter jeff goodman loudly munching on & stuffing his orifices with a couple of corn dogs

a couple of the wildcat cheerleaders are smiling at you, that's what hot girls at academically mediocre schools do whenever they're around cal, stanford & ivy league future grads...but you don't got time for that tonite

you see a couple of soon to be graduating arizona seniors in the student section filling out applications for the chipotle on speedway...they look kinda stressed out about their uncertain futures in a highly competitive global economy that rewards/favors those that are well educated

you spot jerrid & dinos behind the cal bench, they both give you big thumbs up

you walk thru the game end line & when you see an obviously anguished sean miller you quietly tell him "good game, coach" before you join your cal teammates & coaches for a victory shout out in the locker room

as you take one last look around mckale you can't help but think "man, tucson really is a dump"

yeah, it's just a business trip, coach

nothing personal#

if tyler dorsey commits to the bears next season (which is most likely predicated upon ivan rabb also signing with cal), it would make sense to start td at the 1, jordan mathews at the 2, jabari bird at the 3, tyrone wallace at the 4 & ivan rabb at the 5...that lineup would be a nightmare for opposing teams & could potentially compete for a spot in the final four

when dorsey is substituted out for rest, tyrone would slide to the 1 with stephen domingo playing the 4 in the small ball lineup

when dorsey is substituted out for rest, tyrone would slide to the 1, ivan would slide to the 4 & either the king or kameron playing the 5 in the big ball lineup

sammy singer (passer), christian behrens (spurts of low post intensity), brandon chauca (long range sniper) & roger mouth a bidias (defensive stopper) would also compete for situational playing time based upon the strengths in their skill sets

td & t-wall (a strong rebounder but not a nba level facilitator at this point in his development) would both improve their nba draft evaluations by being multiple during 2015 & then td playing the point in 2016

parentswerebears
Shocky1;842444513 said:

if tyler dorsey commits to the bears next season (which is most likely predicated upon ivan rabb also signing with cal), it would make sense to start td at the 1, jordan mathews at the 2, jabari bird at the 3, tyrone wallace at the 4 & ivan rabb at the 5...that lineup would be a nightmare for opposing teams & could potentially compete for a spot in the final four

when dorsey is substituted out for rest, tyrone would slide to the 1 with stephen domingo playing the 4 in the small ball lineup

when dorsey is substituted out for rest, tyrone would slide to the 1, ivan would slide to the 4 & either the king or kameron playing the 5 in the big ball lineup

sammy singer (passer), brandon chauca (long range sniper) & roger mouth a bidias (defensive stopper) would also compete for situational playing time based upon the strengths in their skill sets

td & t-wall (a strong rebounder but not a nba level facilitator at this point in his development) would both improve their nba draft evaluations by being multiple during 2015 & then td playing the point in 2016

So my takeaway is that it's all or none in 2015.
Bear60
Another well written report on Bears future. Love it. After viewing several practices, as a player for coach Pete in 58-60, I believe you will find Stephen Domingo our best player for the next two years. He is impressive.
Shocky1
tyler dorsey scored 40 points on 14-24 fgs including 2-6 3 pointers & 10-12 fts along with 6 boards, 2 assists & a steal with only 1 turnover as the marantha minutemen timed out the heritage christian warriors 78-37

diamonds#
Shocky1
Bear60;842444718 said:

Another well written report on Bears future. Love it. After viewing several practices, as a player for coach Pete in 58-60, I believe you will find Stephen Domingo our best player for the next two years. He is impressive.

hey b60, thank you for making the effort to find and meet me & my daughter shay at the arizona game...it was truly an honor to meet one of the california golden bears that led the #1 ranked public university in the world to a ncca national championship in 1959 with an amazing 71-70 victory over west virginia

[video=youtube;bwXqbQMi30c][/video]

that cal team had a fearless & tireless work ethic with guys sharing the ball with crisp passes kinda like the bears lightning quick unselfish ball movement in the epic victory this november vs syracuse at madison square garden (which has been lost now with guys dribbling to nowhere with their heads down like dumb azzs)

kinda worried that coach pete newell mighta gotten splinters in his azz from them wooden benches tho, no wonder coach martin stands all the time

cal family#
HoopDreams
next year the Bears will be playing in the upgraded Haas Arena, with the new hanging score board, new sounds system, and other upgrades

Shocky1
nope, it's not one of them diamonds are forever guys, it's making sure that nicodemus hires the right yoga teacher for the new off season yoga sessions that i've encouraged him to start up as part of the cal basketball s&c program

namastae#
Shocky1
Bear60;842444718 said:

stephen domingo, a top 35 player in the 2013 class, graduated a year early from st ignatius (in san francisco, cue the music baby) & traveled 3000 miles to the east coast...he was probably not mentally or physically ready for the adjustment to big time d1 basketball & earned only limited playing time at georgetown

at the closed practice i attended before the season domingo displayed a deadly 3 point shooting stroke...but like alan crabbe early in his career i noticed that he did not attack the basket or display a mid range game with pull up jumpers and/or floaters...during the scrimmage he drifted around the perimeter with zero lane penetration

in order to significantly contribute next season stephen must learn to attack the basket & finish thru contact...if he just floats around the 3 point line without the threat of attacking the basket, elite +1 defenders will simply close out on domingo earning him a quick spot on the bench next to the coaches

dude is a major talent with exceptional shooting skills & offensive upside, his development of his game during this blueshirt season is gonna be critical to cal's fortunes in 2015

stephen, you got 9 months until your 1st game in a bears uniform, how hard are you gonna work until showtime in november of 2015?...are you gonna become multiple in your attack?

cable car baller#
Bobodeluxe
Shocky1;842444750 said:

hey b60, thank you for making the effort to find and meet me & my daughter shay at the arizona game...it was truly an honor to meet one of the california golden bears that led the #1 ranked public university in the world to a ncca national championship in 1959 with an amazing 71-70 victory over west virginia

[video=youtube;bwXqbQMi30c][/video]

that cal team had a fearless & tireless work ethic with guys sharing the ball with crisp passes kinda like the bears lightning quick unselfish ball movement in the epic victory this november vs syracuse at madison square garden (which has been lost now with guys dribbling to nowhere with their heads down like dumb azzs)

kinda worried that coach pete newell mighta gotten splinters in his azz from them wooden benches tho, no wonder coach martin stands all the time

cal family#

Was anyone in Boston Tuesday for the whiteout?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842443515 said:

jade smith is a 6'2" 160 lbs 2017 point guard from st joseph's in alameda...smith is being actively scouted by the bears coaching staff as #5 for the pilots brings length, speed & overall strong court awareness to the court...jade's height creates mismatches against opposing guards & his decision making/floor vision are exceptional

yeah, there was another dude who played the 1 and facilitated his teammates as a standout for st joe, cal & in the nba back in the day

bay area's finest#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including oakland)

jade smith scored a couple of points along with 7 boards & 3 assists as the st joseph pilots got air traffic controlled 56-49 by the salesian pride with coach martin at the game...jabari, javid & dennis dnp for richmond's finest
Shocky1
jonah mathews scored 19 points as the santa monica vikings got conquered by the host las vegas wildcats 71-69

cal family#
Shocky1
congrats on being named to the west's 2015 mcdonalds all american team

rather dine at the ol' yeller cafe#
Shocky1

mcdonalds all american caleb swanigan scored 11 points with 16 boards & banged anybody who entered the paint as the homestead spartans outranked the ft wayne generals 55-37

yeah, coach martin & coach harris kinda like the idea of more intense interior post play
Shocky1
when beast mode graduated from oakland tech he could've gone to any college in the united states of america

but he wanted to rep nor cal, stay close to his family & do his own ******* thing, so he went to cal

[video=youtube;u5PgOk1Hjcc][/video]
Shocky1

go cougs#
Shocky1

student athlete oscar frayer scored 20 points including 2 3 pointers as the moreau catholic mariners endangered the american eagles 68-58

howlin' at the moon#
First Page Last Page
Page 145 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.