cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,605 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom;842461714 said:

2 rows away, next to Dillards.
A treat for me!

It was great to see Rabb, Frayer, Dillard and Caleb at the game
I gave a shout out to all of them, and although I didn't talk to Ivan, he strikes me as an extremely humble guy
HoopDreams
It was a great day for the 3 seniors, but this dude is getting serious
No longer content to float around the perimeter and jack up shots

Example: instead of taking a 15 foot open jumper, he [COLOR="#0000CD"]attacks[/COLOR] the rack and scores on an And-One

14 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals = stat sheet stuffer

concordtom
HoopDreams;842461717 said:

It was a great day for the 3 seniors, but this dude is getting serious
No longer content to float around the perimeter and jack up shots

Example: instead of taking a 15 foot open jumper, he [COLOR="#0000CD"]attacks[/COLOR] the rack and scores on an And-One

14 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals = stat sheet stuffer

Fair enough, but Davon is going to show him how to be fearless in the air, will teach the Bird to fly.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842460889 said:

gary, indiana: high temp 18 low temp 0
fort wayne, indiana: high temp 18 low temp -2

fun stuff to do in the cold azz midwest for a third of the year

berkeley, california: high temp 62 low temp 47

cali isn't heavy jacket weather, that's for sure

50 year decision (of not freezing your azz off)#
just ask ivan#

davon & caleb, thx for visiting cal & safe travels back to crap weather...honestly i got no clue why anybody other than an eskimo would want to live somewhere where them balls are gonna freeze for a third of the year, can you explain that to me?

berkeley welcomes your return hopefully this summer in bears uniforms
Shocky1
"the hardest part of flying back to nyc is kissing my mom goodbye"
-davon dillard
concordtom
Shocky1;842461743 said:

davon & caleb, thx for visiting cal & safe travels back to crap weather...honestly i got no clue why anybody other than an eskimo would want to live somewhere where them balls are gonna freeze for a third of the year, can you explain that to me?

berkeley welcomes your return hopefully this summer in bears uniforms

Well, snow is actually fun, shocky. And if it's cold, one can always bundle up. In the heat of the desert, where you live, the only way to escape is to live indoors, which sucks. Taking off all one's clothes, while an attractive thought, or not, doesn't even work. 110 and a dry heat is still worse than snow - I've always said. The sweet thing about the bay area is that you get neither frost nor blistering heat, and can drive to the snow if you like.
(there, that a softball setup for you to do what you do.)
Bearprof
Snow is fun. But here in the Bay Area you can travel to it on the weekends, and don't have to deal with the Daily slog through the slush and ice, with freezing wind constantly on your face, and no desire to be outside for much of the winter. And you never have to be inside here to escape from the heat, the mosquitoes, or the cold. Pretty much ideal weather, for my taste.
socaltownie
Bearprof;842461774 said:

Snow is fun. But here in the Bay Area you can travel to it on the weekends, and don't have to deal with the Daily slog through the slush and ice, with freezing wind constantly on your face, and no desire to be outside for much of the winter. And you never have to be inside here to escape from the heat, the mosquitoes, or the cold. Pretty much ideal weather, for my taste.

LOL. Us SoCals scoff at your idea of good weather. I still remember learning to swim on July mornings at Strawberry Pool while my instructors from the Cal Water Polo/Swim team stood on the side of the pool in PARKAs!!! In JULY!!!!
south bender
socaltownie;842461799 said:

LOL. Us SoCals scoff at your idea of good weather. I still remember learning to swim on July mornings at Strawberry Pool while my instructors from the Cal Water Polo/Swim team stood on the side of the pool in PARKAs!!! In JULY!!!!

I live here and I agree with you, SCT. Summers are a joke here. Tee shirts and shorts after later afternoon may work one or two nights a year here.

For working physically, it is pretty ideal weather, but if you want summer warmth...
Bearprof

Scoff all you want. July and August can be trying, though not as much as in most of the country (for opposite reasons), where I lived for most of my life, but I prefer Northern California weather to SoCal overall.
rathokan

+1

...and the traffic up here in the bay area is just as bad as LA.
BoaltBear
False. Only if you're commuting across a bridge, in which case it is similar. But if you can live on the same side of the bay as your job, LA is much worse.
socaltownie
BoaltBear;842461879 said:

False. Only if you're commuting across a bridge, in which case it is similar. But if you can live on the same side of the bay as your job, LA is much worse.

That is why LoCal rocks!!! I still laugh out loud about San Diegans complaining about our 30 minute rush hour. Get on the 5 (or 15) either at 4 or at 6 and you are at the speed limit.
concernedparent

I'm from LA and I sure don't miss 90 degree summers. SF drought weather is the best in the world- literally every day this year has been 65-75, partly cloudy or sunny.
89Bear
concernedparent;842461919 said:

I'm from LA and I sure don't miss 90 degree summers. SF drought weather is the best in the world- literally every day this year has been 65-75, partly cloudy or sunny.

90 degrees???? More like 100+
socaltownie
89Bear;842461928 said:

90 degrees???? More like 100+

Jeez - Remember - there is no life west of the 405 (or the 5 here in LoCal ;-) Nice breeze off the ocean at a cool 73 and a tasty break at Powerhouse
OldBlue1999
Townie you jinxed socal haha

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/snow-652776-beach-huntington.html
socaltownie
OldBlue1999;842461951 said:

Townie you jinxed socal haha

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/snow-652776-beach-huntington.html

I got MAD skillz!
OldBlue1999
I noticed at the bottom of that article that HB claims to be "Surf City" and even registered a trademark for it? Pssst. I guess it's not just Ucla that likes to steal NorCal traditions...

Quote:

“Huntington Beach may have won the right to the name ‘Surf City, USA’ in the California courts, but any surfer who’s ever paddled out at Steamer Lane knows the judge got it wrong,” [Surfer] magazine noted, referring to the city’s famous break.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/06/the-real-surf-city-why-that-would-be-santa-cruz.html
Shocky1
Shocky1;842460528 said:

i've noted numerous times in this cal's monster class thread that the upward trajectory of this season's california golden bears is limited by the lack of alpha males, an edginess, a **** *** attitude...the guy with the toughest mental mindset can't be the head coach (or some dumb azz fan), it's gotta be a fearless leader on the court

davon dillard is taking an official visit to cal this weekend along with fellow indianan big sauce & young ivee, he could be one of those alpha males

dillard is a late emerging 3 star 6'5" 205 lbs wing from our savior american school in new york but his mom kaliah baker (davon's dad died in 2005, check out his son's honorary tat in the foto above) is raising his 2 younger sisters & 1 younger brother back home in gary, indiana...his blue chip finalists include cal, creighton (scheduled to take an official visit), indiana, purdue & pittsburgh

davon is an aggressive, athletic wing that plays in a relentless basket attacking mode that also facilitates his teammates with creative passes & knocks down open 3 pointers...his physical style of play would bring a different & necessary element to the bears wings, he would complement (and push) jabari & jordan

the bears coaching staff has throughly checked out dillard after a bloody altercation with another player during his junior year...he's a good kid that would benefit from coach martin & coach webster's mentorship in becoming a man that takes care of his business in the right way...davon has a 3.0+ pga & hopes to be a role model to his younger sisters & brother in becoming the 1st person in his family to graduate from college

like coach martin growing up in east st louis, davon grew up in tough circumstances with food stamps in gary

dillard's offer from the cal staff is actionable, he's a key priority for 2015 along with mcdonalds all americans swanigan & rabb

davon's other collegiate finalists all got miserable cold azz weather, he's gonna find out this weekend that cali isn't heavy jacket weather

cal family#
50 year decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 public (#3 overall) university in the world

"the visit was great...the campus and area are beautiful and the trip to cal has been everything i expected and more...it's a family here at cal...i want to be part of the legacy that's going to be built here...it was great visiting with oscar, ivan and caleb too...they're all good guys...i can't wait for next year...we're building a dream team here...cal is taking over next season"
-davon dillard to jim mcgill (donors can never speak with recruits)

diamonds are forever#
concordtom
Shocky1;842462126 said:

"the visit was great...the campus and area are beautiful and the trip to cal has been everything i expected and more...it's a family here at cal...i want to be part of the legacy that's going to be built here...it was great visiting with oscar, ivan and caleb too...they're all good guys...i can't wait for next year...we're building a dream team here...cal is taking over next season"
-davon dillard to jim mcgill (donors can never speak with recruits)

diamonds are forever#

So, when a person mails in a check to the university, does the university mail back and book of can'ts?
In any case, I'm never gonna buy season tickets myself, nor give a check of my own.
That way, I can continue to walk up and chat to anyone I like! Maybe even buy them a slice at Blondie's!
#not a donor
#not alum
#not a season ticket holder
#rabid Cal basketball fan with multiple Cal degrees in my DNA
Nice to have met you, Davon!
OdontoBear66
OldBlue1999;842461966 said:

I noticed at the bottom of that article that HB claims to be "Surf City" and even registered a trademark for it? Pssst. I guess it's not just Ucla that likes to steal NorCal traditions...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/06/the-real-surf-city-why-that-would-be-santa-cruz.html

SoCal and HB steal NorCal traditions (aka Surf City), because of their size and the "Beach Boy" thing in SoCal….First, I will say for surf in California, it is in NorCal (I live in SoCal now, but NorCal most of my life). What does HB have vs. Steamers, Pleasure, etc. with it's beach break….Now if you SoCalers want to argue beach towns, I would have a hard time arguing against San Clemente…..HB is nothing but Bollywood south, and numbers….Quality is either north or south of HB>
mikecohen
rathokan;842461874 said:

+1

...and the traffic up here in the bay area is just as bad as LA.

Just got back from L.A. ---- NO WAY!
mikecohen
OdontoBear66;842462139 said:

SoCal and HB steal NorCal traditions (aka Surf City), because of their size and the "Beach Boy" thing in SoCal….First, I will say for surf in California, it is in NorCal (I live in SoCal now, but NorCal most of my life). What does HB have vs. Steamers, Pleasure, etc. with it's beach break….Now if you SoCalers want to argue beach towns, I would have a hard time arguing against San Clemente…..HB is nothing but Bollywood south, and numbers….Quality is either north or south of HB>

The Beach Boys had in mind a place where there were "Two girls for every boy", whichever beach that might be.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]....now how about the big dogs...[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
you're going to like this...

[video=youtube;o1WdS345fUE][/video]
Shocky1
[video=youtube;vTOf9aiBNXA][/video]

yeah, coach martin & the staff are tirelessly working to move the cal basketball forward in an upward trajectory

nicodemus is not happy about them donuts, not happy at all
Shocky1
davon, you just can't room with whoever you want at cal, that's not how freshmen dormitory housing works at cal...don't be a dumb azz

i dunno, maybe when you fill out the student housing questionnaire you should be honest & request living with centaur, that makes total sense to me

but hopefully you gonna room with one or two of them mcdonalds dudes

http://vimeo.com/45797764

good knight's sleep#
concordtom
HoopDreams;842462173 said:

you're going to like this...

Who is #33 in white? Good size and quickness to the rim.
...his name is Lamous Brown and he is 6'10" and a 3 star with a recent offer by UTEP and possibly has interest from Arizona. He was ruled ineligible a couple seasons ago due to transfer issues where some school maybe didn't send his transcript. So, maybe he's not able to meet Cal academic issues? He's from the Chicago area. Still undecided.

By the way, yes, I liked Davon attacking the rim and also his mic intro work. Very much looking forward to seeing him more in Berkeley. I will have to apologize for calling him Damon. It's davon, like duh-VON.
concordtom
Shocky1;842462184 said:

[video=youtube;vTOf9aiBNXA][/video]

yeah, coach martin & the staff are tirelessly working to move the cal basketball forward in an upward trajectory

Coach had some respectful things to say about David at the end. It was hard to understand exactly what he was saying, but after a second time I got it.
CalAlumnus13
Oregon Basketball, classy as always:

Quote:

In January, a rape survivor sued the University of Oregon for mishandling her sexual-assault case. Through the campus judicial process, the university found the three male students responsible for gang-raping her (not the technical term). They were kicked off the varsity basketball team and eventually out of school.

The Oregon administration accessed the rape survivor’s therapy records from its counseling center and handed them over to its general counsel’s office to help them defend against her lawsuit. They were using her own post-rape therapy records against her.

It was a senior staff therapist in the counseling unit who blew the whistle on the administration’s actions. In her public letter, she sounds horrified that the work she thought was protected by medical privilege could be violated in such a fashion.

http://chronicle.com/article/Raped-on-Campus-Don-t-Trust/228093/
Steam67
mikecohen;842462157 said:

The Beach Boys had in mind a place where there were "Two girls for every boy", whichever beach that might be.

Not to split hairs, but the song from whence came said lyric is "Surf City", recorded by Jan & Dean, though written and recorded with Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. Other fun fact, Glen Campbell played the gee-tar on that and it is one of the earliest recordings featuring the mighty Wrecking Crew.

Okay, back to hoops...
Shocky1
Shocky1;842458496 said:

flew into cabo san lucas sat nite, met my buddy tommy at the airport & we took a taxi downtown for a late nite dinner at gordos...gordos is a one room restaurant with maybe 12 chairs that serves the best shrimp & steak tacos on earth...the owner takes your order, cooks the food, delivers the meal to your table & then sings too...gotta love gordos

so we hit some range balls to loosen up this morning & hustle over to the 1st tee with our caddies at diamante's el cardonal, tiger woods' 1st golf course design which recently opened

but there are already two groups of fatboys standing by their golf carts (some of them smoking cigars) near the 1st tee, they are all wearing stanford gear, red shirts & hats...clearly they are a stanford group of some type

so the director of golf assesses the situation & walks over and tells the leader of the group, "my apologies mr winchester but we have 2 golf magazine raters who have both played the world's top 100 courses that are invited guests of mr jowdy (the developer of diamante) and it's very important that they both tee of first this morning in order to walk 36 holes today, please stand aside"

mr winchester is ******* pissed and barely nods his head ok...the other guys are grumbling & shuffle off the tee box

so tommy & i step onto the 1st tee as does mr winchester whose got his arms crossed, he's gonna see how good we are, there's gonna be wwiii if we slow down his two groups

we both blast tight draws down the middle of the fairway & hand our drivers to our caddies jesus & javier who are ready to roll

mr winchester has got smoke coming out of his ears & is looking at me with stink eyes

so i smile at mr stanford showing lots of crocodile teeth, lock eyes on him & tell him "go bears" with a wink as we head down the par 5 1st fairway, never looking back

shocky got un boca grande#

so i'm gearing up my small black leather mackenzie golf bag for this weekend's golf games in the desert & notice a previously unnoticed special present for me in my bag

mr stanford captain of industry/bigshot apparently put a stanford golf cap in my bag while tommy & i were eating tasty chicken tacos with perrier & fresh fruit on the veranda between rounds with a sharpie inscription on the brim "go stanford"...i guess he thought he could get the last word with me

this morning i make a quick trip to my favorite homeless shelter & drop off a few things including the stanford cap...my fashionista daughters shay & taylor are required to follow my practice of donating 1 piece of clothing, shoes, etc. for every 1 new piece of stuff they get...that's what california golden bears do, we help others whenever we can

so i drive up to the shelter & the young guy comes out to greet me & get all the donations

shelter guy: sweet, this lid is brand new, what does the s stand for?

me: i dunno, probably stooopid

the final word#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842461711 said:

ivan, if you continue to become mentally stronger/unbreakable, further develop your already devastating post finishing moves & add perimeter shooting skills, tirelessly work to achieve much needed (by nba standards) s&c strength & learn financial management skills along with a strong education re: real estate development, you have a unique opportunity to potentially live a very glamorous life & help others less fortunate

but like all athletes, your sports career could be over in a split second, a career ending injury in a blink of an eye...at that point you would need a world class education in order to still pursue & achieve your dreams in life

do you really think slick salesmen like john calipari, sean miller, steve alford or bill self would stay in touch with you if you had a serious injury or would they move on to their next all american prospect on speed dial?...cuonzo martin & his staff are men of integrity, they are truly mentors

your mom wants you to be happy & is therefore not going to impose her will on you, the college decision will be 100% your choice...you are free to pursue your dreams

but you know that deep down inside that tami wants her oldest son to stay home for college at cal, to stay close to her & your younger bro tamarik, to loudly/proudly cheer for you during your games at haas & then give you a bear hug & maybe cook up a quick mac & cheese after every game...she is a mom, she wants to keep her family together as long as possible, not endure a long distance relationship

when your mom owned & ran delancy's welcome table on park boulevard in the eastlake district your mom worked a million hours with the hope of creating better lives for both you & tamarik...and when biz hit a hard turn in the road, she did not give up that dream, she gave up the home & you all moved into the restaurant...the restaurant eventually closed but that's not because she didn't tirelessly work to try to make it happen, there is never any shame when we pursue our dreams & quests and come up a little short...and she never gave up & now her new restaurant is doing well & she is building an outstanding reputation for her sensational tasty dishes

regardless of your decision, ivan, your mom is gonna love you with all her heart

so it all really boils down to, what are your priorities in life, what is gonna be your legacy?

even jennifer hudson is supportive of ivan staying at home at cal & pursuing and protecting the family dream

great to see tami rabb smiling & laughing in the chair backs behind the cal bench at haas pavilion this afternoon with her family all around her...a beautiful moment, a moment of love

cal family#

"i think the visit went real well...the visit really highlighted the growth and revamping of the cal basketball program...the new coaching staff and support team are diligently working towards becoming a powerhouse in college ball...it was refreshing to see them outline the changes they are planning to make within the program...there is definitely a new energy within the program"

"he (ivan) asked them (dillard, swanigan & frayer) to come on a visit with him...i'm sure he would like to play with them"

"as for where ivan stands with his decision, he plans to finish all his visits (intends to trip to ucla & kansas) and then make a decision"
-tami rabb

ohana#
Shocky1

after the 2nd half explosion by the bears & the team celebrations/media interviews were done sunday afternoon, cal's senior athletic department staff made a presentation to this weekend's official visitors & their families re: the future plans for upgrading haas pavilion & the cal basketball facilities

when tami rabb references changes within the program, she's not talking about new shoes for coach webster's midcourt happy dance or coach harris finally defeating his wife heidi in horse, got it?

cal's potential diamonds are forever class (2015) are the courageous & forward thinking young visionaries that wanna usher in a new era awakening in berkeley thereby creating a diverse legacy that will stand the test of time at the #1 public university in the world

let's do this#
First Page Last Page
Page 156 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.