cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,370,614 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Best stat of the night: returning guards bird Mathews Wallace were combined 7/8 from 3. And supposedly best shooter on the team is Stephen Domingo, on court next year following transfer sit year.

Ivee and Sauce: it plays nicely for you. See what can happen? Most of the year, opposition ignore our post and so smothered perimeter players, which makes Cal go (see Syracuse) but last night David Kravish played inspired ball with family there and it possibly being his final game. 25 Pts and career high for David.

Ivee and Sauce wouldn't be ignored in the post, allowing our shooters space to shoot. And when they're shooting, they in turn create space for Ivee and Sauce.
Shocky1
[video=youtube;vHqIvhC-ejI][/video]

this is cal basketball#
socaltownie
I really like this group of young men. +1 for Shocky to relentlessly press home the importance of academic preparedness and dedication to compete both on and off the court.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842463532 said:

is there anything worthwhile about tucson?

yeah, i love the drive from tucson back to north scottsdale late at nite with the top down and the wind in my face & the music blaring at maximum levels (unlike the bears intensity level at mckale) while the monkey voices in my head talk to me about various fleeting thoughts while the moon guides me home

tomorrow's another day#

the bears played harder & competed against the wildcats this afternoon

dwight dug out loose balls, christian took a punishing charge, t-wall sacrificed his body, sam took a shot to the neck, jabari looked for his shot & david wasn't anybody's little candy azz soft bitch

love these guys
Shocky1
Shocky1;842465204 said:

the bears are actively targeting 6'4" 175 lbs 2015 shooting guard tyson jolly from putnam city west hs in oklahoma city...jolly is an active defender with a strong handle & a reliable shooting stroke

around a year ago last february tyson was rushed to the hospital for what turned out to be blood clots on his lungs & the doc told him he would never play basketball again...yeah, both he & coach martin probably aren't big fans of hospital beds or giving up

dude is unbreakable both mentally & physically...jolly is arguably the fastest rising senior in the 2015 class with a 20 point & 9 rebounds average and is expected to be rated as a top 100 player in the final class rankings

huf is talking to tyson daily & it's expected that he will officially visit cal along with a couple of other colleges on his other quickly expanding schools list after his season is over...tyson is a pretty good student with a 3.1 gpa & is coachable both on & off the court

unlike a lot of elite players that myopically think they are gonna just ball out for 10 minutes in college before heading to the nba, tyson fully understands that basketball can be taken away from you at any point, that your playing days can be over in a blink of an eye injury...boom, you're done playing basketball forever & then you gotta use your education to still reach all your dreams in life

yeah, jolly is the mentally tough kinda guy the cal basketball program is gonna build around & his offer from the staff is an actionable one...tyson's last 12 months have been a real rollercoaster but the gates to his unlimited future are wide open

the university of california, berkeley=#1 public university in the world (including freezing azz oklahoma)

tyson jolly scored 11 points in a balanced team attack as oklahoma's #1 ranked (#8 ranked nationally) putnam city west patriots (25-2) decolonized the owasso rams 67-57
Shocky1
according to eugene police reports 2015 pac 12 mvp joesph young interacted for several minutes with dominic artis, damyean dotson & brandon austin the night they brutally raped & sexually assaulted a female student...he also saw the victim at that time & did not intervene on her behalf

interview question for young: "joesph, you made a lot of buckets for dana altman, do you feel you also had an obligation to protect a female student at the university of oregon from life changing violent attacks at the hands of your teammates?"

just do it#
this is oregon basketball#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842438360 said:

one of the limiting factors to last season's california golden bears was the lack of a true leader, an alpha male...the 3 seniors were all more inwardly focused than team focused, they didn't even bother to attend the year end team banquet with their teammates

this year's team is also searching for an alpha male

there is only so much that an alpha male like cuonzo can do from the bench, a leader has gotta emerge from the floor...both tyrone wallace & david kravish are lead by example kind of guys, the bears need somebody way more vocal than that

the guy that has always got something to say, the guy most like me in a lot of ways, is jordan mathews...dude has gotta rally his teammates, to impose his fierce will on the game, to boldy with a swagger not accept defeat, to be mentally tougher than the sorry azz clowns in the other uniforms

check out this exclusive cal's monster class video coverage of bears alpha male jordan mathews (#13) playing football...that's what i'm talking about

the time is now#

the older bro of jonah mathews physically fought/battled for 9 rebounds vs arizona, that's huge wing production for an undersized team

if jordan & jabari would relentlessly compete for rebounds for 40 minutes (which has happened about as often as coach martin getting a stylized haircut) the bears basketball program's potential would be significantly raised...i dunno maybe the addition of bad azz davon dillard is gonna push these 2 highly skilled shooters to compete on the glass too
HoopDreams

[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=7][FONT=Impact]together we attack[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
concordtom
Shocky1;842467009 said:

the older bro of jonah mathews physically fought/battled for 9 rebounds vs arizona, that's huge wing production for an undersized team

if jordan & jabari would relentlessly compete for rebounds for 40 minutes (which has happened about as often as coach martin getting a stylized haircut) the bears basketball program's potential would be significantly raised...i dunno maybe the addition of bad azz davon dillard is gonna push these 2 highly skilled shooters to compete on the glass too

What you are really saying is that Mathews did his part, with 9 boards. But Jabari got only 2 and maybe Dillard is going to press Bird to do more.
What I think is more likely is that Domingo could press Bird to start at the 3 and then it will be a battle between Jordan and Jabari at the 2, with Wallace at the 1. Unless, of course Thornton shows up! Then all bets are off.
In any case, we are going to have a nice 5-man rotation 1-3: Wallace, bird, Mathews, Dillard, Domingo. I'm guessing singer and Chauca get left behind.
We need some diamonds at the 4-5: Rabb and Swanigan.
NVGolfingBear
concordtom;842467049 said:

What you are really saying is that Mathews did his part, with 9 boards. But Jabari got only 2 and maybe Dillard is going to press Bird to do more.
What I think is more likely is that Domingo could press Bird to start at the 3 and then it will be a battle between Jordan and Jabari at the 2, with Wallace at the 1. Unless, of course Thornton shows up! Then all bets are off.
In any case, we are going to have a nice 5-man rotation 1-3: Wallace, bird, Mathews, Dillard, Domingo. I'm guessing singer and Chauca get left behind.
We need some diamonds at the 4-5: Rabb and Swanigan.

I think Singer is in the mix for 1/2 depending on whom he playing with at the time. He's competitive, hard nose and gaining confidence.
OdontoBear66
NVGolfingBear;842467050 said:

I think Singer is in the mix for 1/2 depending on whom he playing with at the time. He's competitive, hard nose and gaining confidence.

Agreed. All the pieces have not come together for him yet, but the improvement is significant. If he gains confidence in the shot he used to have and improves his FT shooting, he will be a force. I like Singer, he just needs to step it up a bit.
concordtom
OdontoBear66;842467051 said:

Agreed. All the pieces have not come together for him yet, but the improvement is significant. If he gains confidence in the shot he used to have and improves his FT shooting, he will be a force. I like Singer, he just needs to step it up a bit.

Yes, singer is improving. But how long can we wait for it to turn on at full blast? We need him shooting the open J always. We need him driving always. It's good that he sticks his nose in there as a hard and focused worker, and respects ball possession, but we need much more than someone who can simply pass the ball around the perimeter. If he wants to just sling it around the perimeter then he needs to jack up and convert 2 of 5 from 3 every game. 0-1 is no good. He is challenged athletically and in confidence level. You saw that picture of Dillard slamming it home. You've seen Domingo is his USA jersey. How can singer compete with that? We shall soon see. I think he's mostly odd man out.
south bender
OdontoBear66;842467051 said:

+1

It should be obvious to all that confidence or lack thereof remains an issue for Sam. He is slowly gaining confidence, but has a way to go.

He has an edge on all the other perimeter players by having the best passing instincts, a critical skill needed by any team.

He also is unsurpassed by any teammates in his commitment to defense.

If he can gain in confidence, he will play a lot in his junior and senior years.
concordtom
south bender;842467062 said:

+1

It should be obvious to all that confidence or lack thereof remains an issue for Sam. He is slowly gaining confidence, but has a way to go.

He has an edge on all the other perimeter players by having the best passing instincts, a critical skill needed by any team.

He also is unsurpassed by any teammates in his commitment to defense.

If he can gain in confidence, he will play a lot in his junior and senior years.

Only if Wallace leaves early and no other pure PG shows up. You can bet that if we don't get a PG in 2015 (Thornton?) that 2016 will have a PG!!!! Chauca is not going to be the PG solution. Will that 2016 PG beat out a Singer senior?

Sam needs to commit himself to shooting the long ball and intermediate J confidently without hesitation just like Wallace needs to do. Did you see how TJ mcConnell just easily comes off an elbow screen and hits a 16 footer? No problem. Wallace and Sam need that. Simple playground stuff.
tenplay
The problems of Singer and Wallace at FTs continues and doesn't show much improvement. When the game is still in doubt, seeing either go to the line for important FTs brings on feelings of dread and futility. Wallace just seems to casually sling the ball without pausing or focusing. Singer seems to be as scared as we all are and hating to be on the line. How many more wins might we have enjoyed if they were competent FTers?
south bender
tenplay;842467079 said:

The problems of Singer and Wallace at FTs continues and doesn't show much improvement. When the game is still in doubt, seeing either go to the line for important FTs brings on feelings of dread and futility. Wallace just seems to casually sling the ball without pausing or focusing. Singer seems to be as scared as we all are and hating to be on the line. How many more wins might we have enjoyed if they were competent FTers?

I love your sentence about Sam! It really captures the moment when we and Sam know he is heading to the line.

Since Sam has shot so few free throws, 35 in 33 games, whereas Ty leads the team with 198 attempts, Ty has been a more recurring issue. Both certainly are vexing.

Hopefully both shoot several million in the off season and come back able to get to 75% or better next year. Or am I simply dreaming?

And it may be that Sam needs a shrink as well as practice shooting. Ty needs a new stroke.
concordtom
tenplay;842467079 said:

Sam gets a very serious look on his face, like he wants everyone to know he is taking it seriously and focusing really hard, onto to then freeze himself into stiffness the moment that toe hits the stripe.

Ty, on the other hand, raises his eyes wide like, I got this, and then starts pointing to all other players, like you got him and he got you and okay here we go, this ain't no big deal, let's go! And then the stroke is just not steady and consistent.

I would love to spend time with them and talk thru the whole mental approach and the mechanical one that follows as a result.
Okay, guys, tell me what you are thinking and what you are doing? Why do you think you have struggled here. It's psychological. They both obviously can hit them. I bet in practice they are money. Well, Ty also needs to bend his knees more, thus settling the upper body into a more successful balanced rhythm, that seems clear to me.

But I think I've got their impersonations down pretty good, no? Makes me laugh, cause I know what's coming.
socaltownie
concordtom;842467185 said:

Sam gets a very serious look on his face, like he wants everyone to know he is taking it seriously and focusing really hard, onto to then freeze himself into stiffness the moment that toe hits the stripe.

Ty, on the other hand, raises his eyes wide like, I got this, and then starts pointing to all other players, like you got him and he got you and okay here we go, this ain't no big deal, let's go! And then the stroke is just not steady and consistent.

I would love to spend time with them and talk thru the whole mental approach and the mechanical one that follows as a result.
Okay, guys, tell me what you are thinking and what you are doing? Why do you think you have struggled here. It's psychological. They both obviously can hit them. I bet in practice they are money. Well, Ty also needs to bend his knees more, thus settling the upper body into a more successful balanced rhythm, that seems clear to me.

But I think I've got their impersonations down pretty good, no? Makes me laugh, cause I know what's coming.

Concord - I will pay money to see you do an immitation of Hollis-Jefferson's free throw shot. I HATE the butt shake ;-)
concordtom
socaltownie;842467248 said:

Concord - I will pay money to see you do an immitation of Hollis-Jefferson's free throw shot. I HATE the butt shake ;-)

That's what I do before I swan dive into bed with my honey!
It turns her on.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842407246 said:

eddie at the front desk of my hotel calls this morning with the requested 4:30 am wake out up call so i can catch an early morning flight from jfk to sfo in time for today's big game after our epic victory over syracuse on the greatest stage on earth, madison square garden...i tell eddie i'm in a hurry & if he can line up a taxi for me in 5-10 minutes...he tells me sure, no problem, he'll take care of it himself

get downstairs, check out & sure enough hustling eddie's got the taxi ready to roll & the door open for me...so i slide smooth eddie a fiver & he gives me a sly thank you with a nod of the head as he closes the door to the taxi

so we are driving the deserted streets of manhattan & as we cross broadway sayeed the cab driver lets me know that eddie shook him down for $5 in order to keep the coveted airport run...i tell sayeed no problem, i'm gonna take care of him

15 minutes later as we cross thru a toll sayeed is telling me that toll doesn't automatically charge him, that's gonna be a $5 extra charge...sure sayeed, whatever

gotta love nyc...i don't got no worries, i'm gonna charge you 5 bucks for reading this post

city never sleeps#

pretty sure if the bears get invited to the nit tournament (which is a possibility but maybe not a probability) that eddie is gonna take care of me (again) if the bears go on a roll & return to nyc for the championship games at the garden

i dunno, maybe i could invest in a recording studio or something with eddie...you know, a 100% high yield return with no risk...guaranteed (kinda like jordan mathews at the foul line)
Cal89
1 million views by this time next month? Surprised no one has started a poll or a thread speculating when such will happen ... We land Rabb and / or Swanigan, much sooner of course... Will the forum software reflect that many digits?! Or maybe it just rolls back and starts all over again. We shall see...
Shocky1

alpha jordan ford scored 23 points & facilitated his fellow rescue dogz as the folsom bulldogs (28-4) ripped to shreds the visiting el cerrito gauchos (29-4) at the kennel

Shocky1
oscar frayer, the charismatic ringleader of cal's howlin' at the moon class (2016) scored 11 points & teammate 2017 pg damari milstead added 10 points as the season ended for the young moreau catholic mariners (23-8) as they got shipwrecked 79-51 by the serra padres (26-5) in the nor cal open playoffs

"damn this hurts...i love my brothers!"
-oscar proud

HoopDreams
Shocky1

mcdonalds all american ivan rabb scored 30 points along with 14 rebounds as the #11 nationally ranked bishop o'dowd dragons (26-4) nightmared the st francis lancers (22-8) in the nor cal open playoffs 76-55 in front of young ivee's most loving supporters, his family

and yeah, some other guys are following them diamonds too

shine bright#
SRBear
Gonna say, if we don't get Rabb this year, then it's time for this thread to die and move on.
Shocky1
shocky's view of the golden gate bridge

srbear's view of the golden gate bridge
Shocky1
Shocky1;842462206 said:

davon, you just can't room with whoever you want at cal, that's not how freshmen dormitory housing works at cal...don't be a dumb azz

i dunno, maybe when you fill out the student housing questionnaire you should be honest & request living with centaur, that makes total sense to me

but hopefully you gonna room with one or two of them mcdonalds dudes

http://vimeo.com/45797764

good knight's sleep#

davon, are you listening at all?...you can't just room with whoever you want at cal, that's not how it works, ok?
concordtom
Fake is not pretty, man.
You can do better than that!
Shocky1
[video=youtube;CJ_f8l-0FyU][/video]

together, we attack#
Go!Bears
SRBear;842467484 said:

Gonna say, if we don't get Rabb this year, then it's time for this thread to die and move on.

I've gotta agree. The format is unwieldy. It is too long to go back and review for a sense of a year's recruiting over time. I think it would be more useful if there were a Monster thread, a Diamonds thread, a Howlin' thread, and whatever comes after. It doesn't matter what we think though. It is Shocky's world - we are just livin' in it.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]you gotta believe[/SIZE]
this thread is going to EXPLODE when [COLOR="#0000CD"]Ivan Rabb[/COLOR] commits
And if [COLOR="#0000CD"]Swanigan[/COLOR] commits too, the board might melt down

SRBear;842467564 said:

Go!Bears;842467564 said:

I've gotta agree. The format is unwieldy. It is too long to go back and review for a sense of a year's recruiting over time. I think it would be more useful if there were a Monster thread, a Diamonds thread, a Howlin' thread, and whatever comes after. It doesn't matter what we think though. It is Shocky's world - we are just livin' in it.

Chapman_is_Gone
SRBear;842467484 said:

+1
BC Calfan
From Lindsay Brauner, rivals reporter:

@lindzcatharine: Just chatted one on one with Ivan Rabb-- he said both he and Swanigan "loved" Cal when they visited. More coming on @CalRivals!

@lindzcatharine: Rabb also told me that right now he does have a clear front runner in his mind as far as where he's going but keeping to himself for now.
parentswerebears
BC Calfan;842467577 said:

From Lindsay Brauner, rivals reporter:

@lindzcatharine: Just chatted one on one with Ivan Rabb-- he said both he and Swanigan "loved" Cal when they visited. More coming on @CalRivals!

@lindzcatharine: Rabb also told me that right now he does have a clear front runner in his mind as far as where he's going but keeping to himself for now.

Either this is the best news I have heard in the last month and I will be going to more games next year or I am going be super bummed and still go to more games next year.
First Page Last Page
Page 162 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.