cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,279,566 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not too late to change your plans, drop everything and run to Haas
No regrets
mikecohen
Shocky1;842591086 said:

the night is gonna be for screaming tonite at haas pavilion...and yeah, wearing a sprinkle of fuschia too

if you see taylor & myself, please say hello, we're very friendly people

insane energy#

A really gorgeous picture - stands up over time with the best of Pop Art.
HoopDreams
What was it like to play your first official game as a Cal Bear here?
"I feel like we were over prepared for this game. Our coaches put us in the right positions with the scouting report and I feel like we came out and we executed our plan so well that we had a good time easing into the game"

HoopDreams
What was it like to play your first official game as a Cal Bear here?
"It was definitely a great experience playing my first game. I had a lot of excitement built up into the game. There were a lot of fans out there showing love so we had a good time, I had a good time and we are ready for the next one"

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"]Ayinde Ubaka[/COLOR] was in the Haas tonight

Still remember his single-handed trashing of UCLA...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]AKA Oobooka![/SIZE]

[COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

extra credit if you catch the reference to the current Cal team
Shocky1

left to right, jordan "en fuego" mathews, jabari "let it fly" bird, tyrone "love it hate it" wallace, brenden "yeah" glapion, jaylen "the fouling fool" brown & ivan "let's eat" rabb

a very magical evening with a noticeable air of excitement throughout haas pavilion, a sense of community as friends & strangers alike high fiving each other in celebrating a new era cal basketball with 10,530 fans screaming their hearts out

jaylen & ivan gotta make defensive adjustments & avoid foul trouble, their presence on the court is critical to the team's success this season...less reaching with the hands & more moving with the feet

an unselfish 17 assists to only 7 turnovers & 7 thunderous blocks

43.5% on 3 pointers & 83.3% on free throws

this is a small 1st step on what could potentially be the journey of a lifetime, them diamonds need just a little bit of polishing

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842582696 said:

team: ucla bruins

shockster 2015/2016 pac 12 prediction: 5th place

coach: steve "rapist enabler" alford

what you need to know about alford: did you know that he is a "rapist enabler?"

check out the orange county register article: "alford's past paints blurry character portrait"
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/alford-535065-indiana-basketball.html

if steve alford has not protected his star basketball player after he raped the 1st student, then the 2nd victim most likely would have been spared this violent crime

if alford had been a basketball coach at an iowa middle school rather than the head coach at the university of iowa, then he would be in a prison today for his documented role in enabling/facilitating a convicted rapist to escape justice all in the name of his winning a few more basketball games

alford then waited a decade to make an insincere apology as mandated by the ucla athletic director during april of 2013:

"at that time i instinctively and mistakenly came to (pierece's) defense before knowing all the facts...i wanted to believe he was innocent and in response to a media question i publicly proclaimed his innocence before the legal system had run its course"

"that was inappropriate, insensitive and hurtful especially for the young female victim and i apologize for that"

"i have learned and grown from that experience and now understand that such proclamations can contribute to an atmosphere in which similar crimes go unreported and victims are not taken seriously"

why did alford wait over a decade to apologize?

does alford truly feel any responsibility for the 2nd rape victim because of his actions?

steve alford=dana altman=joe paterno

what up in westwood?: the bruins lose stabilizing team leader normal powell (16.4 ppg & 4.7 rpg) & inefficiently underutilized future nba 1st rounder kevon looney (11.6 ppg & to be sorely missed 9.2 rpg)...bryce "whose your daddy" alford (15.4 ppg), tony parker (11.5 ppg & 6.7 rpg) & isaac hamilton (10.6 ppg) were inconsistent last season & will be joined by blue chippers prince ali & aaron holiday & former cal recruit thomas welsh...team chemistry & ball movement along with defensive toughness could be real issues this upcoming season

steve alford's program is now also in the middle of a major academic cheating scandal
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2015/10/11/report-former-ucla-adviser-alleges-academic-wr

what this means for the bears: cal is in numerous recruiting battles with ucla for key 2017 prospects but will steve alford still be the coach in westwood given the unrealistic expectations of the ucla donor base?

this is ucla basketball#

what happens when you don't take care of the ball & don't play with defensive intensity?

ucla loses to the monmouth hawks 84-81 in overtime as the bruins got a sloppy 23 turnovers & cause only 7 turnovers

the bruins will always get 4 & 5 star players with their talent rich so cal recruiting base but whether alford can do anything with that talent is a huge question mark

did i mention the game was played at pauley pavilion?

the titanic#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842582688 said:

team: arizona state sun devils

shockster 2015/2016 pac 12 prediction: 7th place

coach: bobby "off to the races" hurley

what you need to know about hurley: did you know that despite earning millions in the nba that bobby hurley squandered much of his life's savings & lost his family's horse estate because of financial mismanagement/non performing investments related to the ponies

i dunno maybe bobby can mentor his sun devils re: the fastest mudder in the 3rd race at belmont, the best books in jersey, the tightest slots in vegas & **** like that...when he tells his guys we're off to the races, he means it

what up in tempe?: the sun devils lose their best player shaqueille mckissic but return starters savon goodman (11.2 ppg & 7.6 rpg), gerry blakes (11.1 & 4.2 rpg), eric jacobson (8.3 ppg & 5.9 rpg), point guard tra holder (7.0 ppg & 3.6 apg) & a pair of female best friends forever

during bobby's 1st week on the job in tempe he met with an influential donor group of sun angels & promised them he wouldn't build the program with disgruntled transfers & junior college dudes with criminal records like herbie...hurley promised them he would make asu the duke of the west with guys that excel in the classroom

but then reality got in the way

bobby has already chased off 3 student athletes:
**chance murray
**connor macdougal
**sai tummala

hurley has talked his buffalo point guard torian graham to transfer to asu, signed a junior college big obinna oleka who was suspended at central florida college for "violation of team rules" & also signed maurice o'field from midland community college after running into academic problems at the harvard of the southeast, east tennessee state

bobby is also making a run at 5 star thon maker who intends to arrive at his selected college in january & then leave in march...maker isn't even a one & done, he's more like on the 10 week plan

gotta check with my current 1st wife kat (a sun devil) to see if you can even graduate from asu in 10 weeks, who knows

one thing is known, bobby is no coach k, but his starting 5 is gonna be multiple...that's a sure thing

no wonder asu is the #1 ranked college in the world for producing the most strippers

what this means for the bears: 2 challenging games vs asu this season but that's about it, the sun devils & the bears are recruiting guys with totally different academic profiles...asu fans are gonna eventually figure out that bobby is recruiting a bunch of dumb azzs just like herbie

asu loses 66-63 to the sacramento state hornets at home in bobby "off to the races" hurley's debut in tempe as the sun devils drill a dazzlling 2 of 17 three pointers & get stung 41-34 on the boards

not sure if bobby bet on the game or not
Shocky1
Shocky1;842581031 said:

what is the biggest area of much critically needed improvement for the cal basketball team if it's going to achieve it's unlimited potential during the upcoming season?

getting the ball to ivan rabb down low in the paint where he can do something offensively with his vast but currently underutilized scoring skills

this is totally on the bears guards & cal coaching staff, wake the **** up...you gotta special talent, try sharing the ******* basketball with him, ok?...guards gotta look for ivan & the coaches gotta scheme better for rabb too

i could tell ivan was getting frustrated during the 1st half with the minimal amount of touches so i yelled at young ivee "ivan, finish with the ball, be selfish baby" as he ran downcourt by me...ivan actually looked at me with a pained look & said "i'm trying"

i feel young ivee's pain...he played for 4 years at bishop o'dowd with his montera middle school best friend point guard paris austin who unselfishly shared the ball with his mcdonald all american teammate in places that ivan could do severe & permanent damage to opponents

then the **** hit the fan...i attended ivan's post high school national high school all star games which were remarkable for the guards like allonzo trier absolutely never sharing the ball, just jacking up off balance 3 pointers...the only way for bigs to score in these playground games is offensive boarding put backs

then the bears went to australia & more of the same with young ivee not put in positions to be successful

let's be real here, if them callifornia golden bears don't figure out a way to feature my boy ivan rabb offensively, then both young ivee & myself are gonna transfer to tami rabb's former school, them sacramento state hornets

and yeah, then i'll start a thread entitled "sacramento state's monster class"

https://vimeo.com/45797764

young ivee with 14 points on 6-8 fgs & 13 boards along with 2 blocks in only 16 minutes due to foul trouble

guards did a better job of looking for rabb flashing to the basket but most of his scores were still due to putbacks (7 offensive boards)

and yeah, sacramento state knocked off asu in tempe so them hornets are gonna be worldbeaters when we all transfer to capital city

work in progress#
Shocky1
"i thought it was a really good team performance...i thought the team did a really good job of sharing the ball, making baskets and attacking of the dribble then making plays, finding the big guys when the opportunities showed themselves...i thought the spacing was solid, and tyrone and sam did a good job attacking, creating opportunities for our perimeter guys to make shots...thought our big guys did a great job of protecting the lane, being big when they have the opportunities...a solid team effort on both ends of the ball"

"but most importantly i got that sorry broken down azz brenden glapion in the game to avoid the wrath of the president of his fan club"

-coach martin

the bears are gonna play a tight rotation of 9-10 players (roger moute a bidias competed at a high level last nite) with clearly understood & accepted roles within the team 1st structure...coach martin told me after the game that the staff is still talking about potentially blueshirting brandon chauca & blueshirting roman davis was the most explosively acrobatic player on the floor during pregame warm ups...if chauca blueshirts, the biggest recipient of backup point guard minutes behind t-wall & sammy singer would be senior walk on brenden glapion...coach martin told me that brenden is "really tough," coming from a guy who grew up in the projects of east saint louis that's a real compliment to taylor's favorite player

let's be real here, the last 50 years of cal basketball outside of the j kidd & mike montgomery era have been overall pretty mediocre...i tell my kids when you start at the bottom & gotta go thru something to get something you are gonna appreciate the special days in the sun even more...yeah, it's shining in berkeley today

Shocky1

the magic of cal basketball#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]was that fun or what??!!!?[/SIZE]

Shocky1

beauty & the beast#
petalumabear
HoopDreams;842591614 said:

[SIZE=5]was that fun or what??!!!?[/SIZE]

Loved it Hoop.... Can't wait until Monday night... I'm just out of the frame of this shot... loving it!!
Go Bears!!
bar20
petalumabear;842591670 said:

Loved it Hoop.... Can't wait until Monday night... I'm just out of the frame of this shot... loving it!!
Go Bears!!

I think I see your reflection on the court floor.
HoopDreams
Women hoopsters won their opener too

Shocky1

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1

dejan, pictured below are cole welle, brandon chauca, nick hamilton, brenden glapion & nick kerr at a recent nba world champions golden states warriors game...the warriors play in oakland which is a 15 minute drive from berkeley

nick kerr is a sharpshooting guard for the bears & is a respected locker room leader with respects to team chemistry for championship teams...nick's sister maddy is on the cal's women's volleyball team & his dad steve is the head coach for the golden state warriors

several of the bears attended tonite's 107-99 overtime victory courtesy of seth curry's crunch time moneyballs as the warriors continued their current season undefeated at 11-0

dejan, the cal basketball team isn't the only oakland/san francisco basketball team with championship aspirations

50 year friendships#
Shocky1
[video=youtube;tyTmuRMETds][/video]

bowl eligible#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]The Cal women hoopsters take out #8 Louisville!

Shocky1
what to you call it when 8 high strung tempermental candy azz bitches get together to run their mouths & talk **** about each other?

yeah, you'd call it the cal basketball twitter questions & answers session on saturday evening before the oregon state football game

the event started at 5:30 pm & was hosted by wes mallete, the associate athletic director of strategic communications...taylor asked me if i'm the director of unstrategic communications, shut up bitch, do you want me to kick your sorry azz to the curb?

anyways i digress, the event was attended by several hundred enthusiastic fans sitting on the floor seats & bleachers at haas pavilion with tryone wallace, jabari bird, jordan mathews, sam singer, stephen domingo, kingsley okoroh, jaylen brown & ivan rabb sitting on high chairs near mid court with the microphone being passed around

the early questions were of the warm up variety...several of the players responded to the question re: their favorite moment re: coach martin...jordan mathews, who is a natural born speaker along with jaylen brown, told the story how coach martin thinks the bird man spends way too much time always getting knocked down & laying on the floor...so during one of the games in australia, jabari is knocked to the floor & is really slow in getting up...coach martin turns to the bench & animatedly asks the rhetorical question "is that bird on the floor again?...jordan, get in there!"...so jabari chills on the bench for 5 minutes & then gets substituted back into the game...on the 1st play back, jabari takes a hard charge & then uncharacteristically jumps up like the energizer bunny & sprints back down the floor...coach martin almost falls over he's laughing so hard along with the rest of the team

we learn about the guys favorite classes...t-wall is taking a class re: terrorism & threat assessments...jaylen's amazing class he tweeted about a while back encompasses among other things international poverty & includes stirring raw emotional insights by a classmate who crossed the border by herself as a child

wes don't ask any of my questions such as why is jaylen afraid to accept my yoga headstand competition bet or what's the working theory why coach martin never plays any of them rescue walk ons

so things are wrapping up when two dozen elementary grade schoolers show up & wes lets them ask a couple of questions

an obviously shy young boy takes the microphone & in trembling speech asks the guys how old they are & where do they live?...everybody is pretty surprised when domingo tells everybody he's 32 years old & jaylen tells the kid (and addresses him by his name jorge which is a classy & personal move) that he's not gonna tell him where he lives because he's got a x box & video games there...the only player willing to tell jorge where he lives is kingsley okoroh who tells him with a straight face "darby, england"

then the final question is asked re: what grade is each guy?

this is when the **** hits the fan

somehow the focus gets lost & jabari tells everybody how his salesian team kicked some azz in nor cal playoff games...so young ivee grabs the microphone & points out how his bishop o'dowd team beat that salesian team & actually won a state championship at haas pavilion...and then jaylen reminds his roommate ivan how his wheeler team beat them dragons and wait, didn't he score something like 30 points with 20 rebounds?...rabb's hands are twitching he's so eager to get the microphone back to set the record straight...and this goes on for a while to the total amusement of the buzzing crowd while mallette is trying unsuccessfully to get the microphone back to diplomatically end the session...but guess what, wes?

this **** is getting live

yeah, it was a view to a kill

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842583841 said:

coach martin, coach webster, coach hufnagel, coach jones & coach christopher are killing it on their cellphones with the key targeted prospective student athletes in cal's touch the sky class (2017) & cal's started at the bottom class (2018)

[video=youtube;uxpDa-c-4Mc][/video]

stephen domingo's favorite moment re: coach martin per his response at the twitter q&a was watching him dance on the floor of haas pavilion during the intro video taping to drake's hotline bling

dude can't dance#
Shocky1

jaylen brown's favorite moment at cal per his reponse at the twitter q&a was spending the day on july 18th with his teammates & coaches at the reopening of richmond's santa fe union neighborhood community park which was previously a cracked wasteland for drug dealers...today it is the home for prospective future students at the #1 ranked public university in nearby berkeley

dejan, the cal basketball program does more community service than any other college basketball team in the united states, it's the right thing to do, does that appeal to you?

to be honest i love all of these california golden bears for reasons that extend far beyond playing basketball on a basketball court with a basketball, wins & losses are not the defining measures of the cal basketball program

yeah, jaylen's favorite moment involved falling in the california sun

the magic of cal basketball#
Shocky1
[video=youtube;0haimfvJbwQ][/video]
Shocky1
after their opening game loss to monmouth the bruins defeated the san louis obispo mustangs (which lost to unlv 74-72 in their home opener on the road) to successfully defend their pauley pavilion home court

make no mistake about it, steve alford is building something pretty scary in westwood

ruh roh#
Shocky1
gunner allonzo trier 1-10 field goals in his college debut, playing for sean miller is gonna be a brutal adjustment/reality check for trier

young ivee, you dodged a bullet
petalumabear
bar20;842591704 said:

I think I see your reflection on the court floor.

Yes, that's me at center court. I'm the one that everyone complains about. :p
Shocky1
petalumabear;842593267 said:

Yes, that's me at center court. I'm the one that everyone complains about. :p

pb, you photograph better than you look in real life...taylor likes your choice of fashionable shoes

Shocky1

the guachos are led by 6'4" 201 lbs michael bryson (13.9 ppg & 4.8 rpg), oakland native 6'5" 180 lbs john green (11.3 ppg & 4.1 rpg) & sharpshooting 6'3" 190 lbs gabe vincent (10.1 ppg with .416 3 pt %, must be relentlessly closed out on behind the line)

the gauchos were 19-14 last season & are picked to finish 2nd in the big west behind uc irvine

santa barbara won their season opener in a gutty 60-59 victory over omaha on the road while bryson served a 1 game suspension...green scored 22 points along with 13 boards & vincent scored 16 points

tyrone, jabari, jordan, kameron, roger & sammy hopefully still remember the searing pain on december 5, 2013 when an "overconfident" (travis decuire told me that the next morning at the santa barbara airport) cal team got their azzs handed to them 62-55 in a freezing thunderdome (the air conditioning was blowing cold air the whole night, ricky kreklow told me he never felt warmed up) as the gauchos fans stormed the floor after the game & celebrated with their laughing players while the bears players quietly stumbled off the floor to the losers' lockerroom...that game cost the bears a ncca tnt bid

i sat directly behind the cal bench in the 1st row (along with califortunate & his wife, this guy has done more behind the scenes for cal basketball than anybody on this board) & heard coach montomgery put his hands on bird's knees & matter of factly told jabari that he couldn't play him anymore because he was a defensive liability (bird never returned to the game)...i'll bet that ucsb is game planning to exploit again that "candy azz soft" cal weakness, jabari is that **** acceptable to you?

are the bears gonna be emotionally prepared to compete tonite at haas pavilion at 7:00 pm?

season on the brink#
BoaltBear
#FeedIvan
concordtom
Shocky1;842593304 said:

... the gauchos fans stormed the floor after the game & celebrated with their laughing players while the bears players quietly stumbled off the floor to the losers' lockerroom...that game cost the bears a ncca tnt bid

i sat directly behind the cal bench in the 1st row & heard coach montomgery put his hands on bird's knees & matter of factly told jabari that he couldn't play him anymore because he was a defensive liability (bird never returned to the game)...
making me feel all the more okay with his retirement
Shocky1;842593304 said:

(along with califortunate & his wife, this guy has done more behind the scenes for cal basketball than anybody on this board)

Not sure doing ANYTHING on this board qualifies as doing ANYTHING for Cal Basketball. I sure don't feel my posts add anything, though I do enjoy it tremendously. Maybe the ad revenue trickles down to be supportive, and all my clicks have certainly meant ad revenue for someone! Glad to hear folks are doing tangible stuff, however! Go Califortunate!
Shocky1;842593304 said:

season on the brink#

God I love these hashtag slogans. I don't know what "season on the brink" has ANYTHING to do with our current season 1-game-in season, but let's go with it. Or, maybe it was referring to Monty's UCSB debacle, saying that his decision to sit our only McD on the roster to "teach him a lesson" (What would Bird have to say about that now?") put the season on the brink. Or maybe it's a Mike Montgomery comparison to Bob Knight, from which I can conclude that they both were "my way or the highway" guys. Yeah, they both hit the highway in the end. Hmmmm... Nah, that's far too insulting to MM. I'd rather have 100 of him to 1/2 of a Bob Knight. But, anyways, keep it up with the #'s. I'll be waiting to see what you come up with next. (I feel an insult coming - boy, can I set up the softball pitches, or what?)
south bender
Regarding Shocky's account of what was said to Bird at the Santa Barbara game past, who knows how accurate it is? Certainly it is not a full version of Monty's coaching of Bird. Moreover, Bird has often in the past been a defensive liability.

And that game was "Monty's...debacle"? Please.
Shocky1
t-wall named pac 12 player of the week after scoring 20 points on an efficient 9-12 fgs in the opener along with facilitating his teammates with a career high unselfish 9 assists & 6 boards & only 1 turnover

and yeah, he's a true student athlete with academic ambition who's gonna earn a cal degree, no wonder tyrone's got one of them curvy brunette yoga females for a girlfriend

Shocky1
bears gotta bring it tonite & compete with their hungry for an upset uc brothers from the south, the bears are gonna get the gauchos best punch (which was a knockout blow the last time these 2 teams faced each other)

potential don't mean ****

cal's monster class#
Shocky1

https://soundcloud.com/the-tribe-akashic/ransom-demo-feat-shynova-rbt-jns-san-juan-haru-prod-take-f-light
left to right, jordan "let it fly" mathews, tyrone "where's my fuschia shirt?" wallace, jabari "redemption" bird, jaylen "the philosopher" brown, ivan "donde esta el balencesto?" rabb

this is a good cal basketball team that physically defends (jabari competed tonite), rebounds the ball (38-30 board advantage) & that can shoot the ball & finish off the dribble (49% from the field)...but to mature into a great team the bears are gonna have to significantly improve their passing particularly entry passes into the post players, that's not happening right now

sat tonite next to nor cal high school basketball coaching legends (and close friends to each other & theo robertson) & cal grads modesto christian's head coach richard midgley & bishop o'dowd's lou richie...these high character mentors for young men emphasize academic ambition & community service along with championship basketball, they are absolute true diamonds

warning: not feeding the bigs is gonna limit the virtually unlimited potential of this year's california golden bears basketball team

feed ivan now#
First Page Last Page
Page 242 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.