cal's monster class deux

1,379,997 Views | 6499 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Admin
south bender
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Sam played well, why were his minutes limited? Did he foul out early, was he in early foul trouble?
Shocky1
south bender;842775372 said:

If Sam played well, why were his minutes limited? Did he foul out early, was he in early foul trouble?

sam fouled out, a major factor in this game was the foul trouble for charlie, the king & young ivee who all had 4 fouls
Shocky1
what happens when you turn the ball over 24 times & allow your opponent to shoot 53.8% on field goals?...the washington huskies (4-4) got neutered 98-71 by the tampering gonzaga bulldogs

the pac 12's darkhorse colorado buffaloes (7-2) shot 45% (9 of 20) 3 pointers in serving mickeys 68-66 to the #13 ranked xavier musketeers

washington state cougars (5-4) burglarized 61-48 the idaho vandals in the battle of the palouse...brrrr

south dakota state jackrabbits (4-7) got pounced upon 86-58 by the northern iowa panthers

onetime cal commit oscar frayer with 19 points as the bi polar san diego aztecs (4-3) got rain danced 76-72 by the grand canyon antelopes at majerle's grill
mikecohen
Shocky1;842775355 said:

not sure what your talking about, grant had a rough afternoon today

I was talking about yesterday. Night & Day, so to speak. One imagines that the difference might have been the relative quality of the athletes and their defensive abilities on the other side; or it could be a million other things; or maybe it was easily identifiable by knowledgeable people. But the difference was stark.
Shocky1

think i might've met the dumbest cal fan of all time right before the 2nd half start of the seton hall game (disclaimer: bi bison bob is not eligible for this nomination as his drunk postings in front of the tv on the gameday thread suggests his life is in such disarray he's never gonna be able to afford to actually go to a cal sporting event in person):

shocky (walking by a guy with a cal shirt on the way back to my seat): what up?...bears looking good with that 3 point lead

the dumb azz: what's wrong with ivan rabb?

shocky: well he had mono for several weeks this summer, he had a foot injury during the st marys scrimmage & he's gutting it out with a banged up right hand now

the dumb azz: yeah but why isn't he playing like an all american?

shocky (shaking my head): dude, have you ever heard of mononucleosis?

the dumb azz (just looking at me with a blank frustrated look): what does that have to do with anything?:headbang
89Bear
Shocky1;842775366 said:

the bears did not play with the energy & assertiveness that is necessary to win against elite competition, the identify of this team is defense & they allowed seton hall to shoot 46.2% on field goals for the game, that's not gonna get the job done for a team that sometimes struggles in half court offensive sets

yeah bloch arena is a funky azz place to play basketball but the 10 missed free throws (some on the front end of 1 & 1's) doomed the bears, not sure why so many of the guys don't shoot practice free throws (or only 1 or 2) doing warm ups when it's so critical in close game

jabari bird is back with 22 points on 9-20 field goals (but only 1 of 8 on 3 pointers) & 9 boards along with relentless intensity on d

sam singer also played well with 6 points on 3-3 field goals along with 3 boards & 2 assists...both coach webster & myself have told sam that he plays at his optimal performance level when he got a **** you up attitude, when's singer is smiling & clapping his hands with a chip on his shoulder he's at his best

so the bears are flying home tomorrow, they will be in berkeley for almost the next 30 days, this will be an opportunity to focus on finals next week & then practice/play basketball without schoolwork obligations for a while...the bears gotta continue to develop chemistry now that most of the parts are finally all back together with ivan, jabari & grant...the staff needs to evaluate the playing rotation & determine what's best for the team on a go forward basis, decisions have also got to made re: whether or not everyone on the roster is gonna continue to have the unlimited green light to shoot 3 pointers in the future

i sat at mid court with airman first class (e-3) raymond who is in his twenties & is finally going to see his young family (wife & daughter nicole who is 4 years old & loves gymnastic) for the 1st time in 4 months next week...i gave him a $100 bucks for a xmas present for nicole along with a hug after the game & told him thank you for defending our country...tim is my hero, he's often putting his life on the line to keep us safe so we can enjoy college basketball

the sun will rise tomorrow but make no mistake about it this team & staff has got a lot of work to do to achieve their significant potential for this season

regroup#

I thought Jabari looked excellent. Really impressed by the effort I saw on both ends! Even more impressive after being out a while.
socaltownie
89Bear;842775443 said:

I thought Jabari looked excellent. Really impressed by the effort I saw on both ends! Even more impressive after being out a while.

Yup. Would

A) Like to have gotten the W for Tournament resume building. But I doubt S Hall will be a "bad loss"
B) But very happy with Bird DRIVING/SLASHING - especially without the rock or after the iso pass to the wing/baseline. That is something the team otherwise lacks and it provides a critical dimension to our offense as it will force teams to come out to defend and that opens up more room for Rabb.
89Bear
If this team ever gets all of its pieces healthy and on the court at the same time, watch out!!! Tournament Selection Comm. will take into account the injuries this team has suffered...
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842775440 said:

think i might've met the dumbest cal fan of all time right before the 2nd half start of the seton hall game (disclaimer: bi bison bob is not eligible for this nomination as his drunk postings in front of the tv on the gameday thread suggests his life is in such disarray he's never gonna be able to afford to actually go to a cal sporting event in person):

shocky (walking by a guy with a cal shirt on the way back to my seat): what up?...bears looking good with that 3 point lead

the dumb azz: what's wrong with ivan rabb?

shocky: well he had mono for several weeks this summer, he had a foot injury during the st marys scrimmage & he's gutting it out with a banged up right hand now

the dumb azz: yeah but why isn't he playing like an all american?

shocky (shaking my head): dude, have you ever heard of mononucleosis?

the dumb azz (just looking at me with a blank frustrated look): what does that have to do with anything?:headbang

I thought, with college athletes, you let them recover from injury, get back in shape and then put them in. Recovery to full time part of the rotation seems a bit brutal to me. Understand the athlete is needed, but how can you predict what bearing it has on his future? So either he is well, or is a piece of meat. Can't have it both ways.
Shocky1
OdontoBear66;842775527 said:

I thought, with college athletes, you let them recover from injury, get back in shape and then put them in. Recovery to full time part of the rotation seems a bit brutal to me. Understand the athlete is needed, but how can you predict what bearing it has on his future? So either he is well, or is a piece of meat. Can't have it both ways.

odonto, are you trying to tell me you wanna be nominated as the 2nd dumbest cal fan of all time?
UrsaMajor
Depends on the injury. Some, there is no danger of further injury and you let them play through; others require rest in order to avoid re-injury. Can't make a blanket statement.
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842775564 said:

odonto, are you trying to tell me you wanna be nominated as the 2nd dumbest cal fan of all time?

I take that as a compliment in your book. Just toying with your (il)logic.
OdontoBear66
UrsaMajor;842775565 said:

Depends on the injury. Some, there is no danger of further injury and you let them play through; others require rest in order to avoid re-injury. Can't make a blanket statement.

Just saying if the injury is an excuse for less than stellar playing, then the consideration for playing/not playing should be there. Not just a matter of the team's needs.
Shocky1
the spider fly with 27 points & 7 boards vs saugus

might try to watch juhwan play on january 7th during the cal roadtrip (bears play ucla on the 5th & usc on the 8th) to la to see if he's improving his crooked azz perimeter shooting (gotta put up 500+ shots a day like jemarl & trevin) or if he's just scoring in transition & on offensive putbacks relying upon his +1 athleticism

next season the starting job at the 3 will be wide open with jabari's graduation & hopefully elevation to the nba, as it stands right now the spider fly got an opportunity to compete with dontae coleman for that role

Shocky1;842770667 said:

juhwan "the spider fly" harris dyson is playing like one of the nation's top wing defenders (he literally just physically takes the ball away) & also developing offensively particularly in transition as the heritage christian warriors are still unbeaten after 5 season opening victories...juhwan still gotta put up at least 500+ shots (preferably 1000) a day like jemarl & trevin every day no matter what, crooked azz shooting is not a fate, it's a choice

*****16 points vs winward, named mvp of the west valley thanksgiving tip off classic
*****31 points including 14-19 of free throws vs beverly hills
*****27 points & 14 boards vs dorsey
*****19 points, 9 boards & an unreal 8 steals vs shalhevet
*****26 points, 11 boards, 7 assists & 5 steals vs royal
Shocky1
the fox sports executive from los angeles in charge of scheduling the pearl harbor classic (he's not sure if he will do it again next year) told me that the princeton players told him that lighting at bloch arena really messed with their shooting including even free throws

the cal staff made a mistake in game planning for the tigers game by not scheming for the bears to impose their will with attacking the basket/short range shots around the basket (which are less affected by the lighting & tradewinds) instead of settling for an abysmal 1 of 15 on 3 pointers in the 1st half
Shocky1
OdontoBear66;842775573 said:

I take that as a compliment in your book. Just toying with your (il)logic.

odonto, if you told me you got family in south carolina i would believe you

[video=youtube;lj3iNxZ8Dww][/video]
Shocky1
the corrupt oregon basketball organization has offered jordan brown
Shocky1

jemarl & trevin, realize you guys are humble guys but it would help cal fans follow your senior seasons if you would post or link some of your scoring stats on your twitter accounts...yeah & if you want to include the number of turnovers of wild azz passes into the 7th row that would be appreciated too

statistics (don't tell the whole story but are fun)#:acclaim:
mikecohen
OdontoBear66;842775576 said:

Just saying if the injury is an excuse for less than stellar playing, then the consideration for playing/not playing should be there. Not just a matter of the team's needs.

I would be REALLY shocked if there was any danger (above the normal risks of playing basketball) to Rabb's future in his playing with clear disabilities involved with the injury he has. Like has been said above: Although one always assumes such an enhanced risk on "playing through pain", one also assumes (based on a lot that has flowed through this Board about the attitude and policies on this of the Staff) that this consideration would be sacrosanct. One thing though is the possibility of compensation injuries (i.e., overuse of other parts of the body to compensate for the weakness of the disabled part). This can be quite unbalancing - keeping in mind all the different parts of the body that would be used to compensate for the weakened part, not the least of which would be the spine (which could get twisted in new and un-accustomed ways - which, re the spine, tends to play itself out throughout the whole spinal column). Anyhow, I'm assuming everybody involved understood these considerations and acted accordingly so as not to put the future at risk.
concordtom
Shocky1;842775694 said:

jemarl & trevin, realize you guys are humble guys but it would help cal fans follow your senior seasons if you would post or link some of your scoring stats on your twitter accounts...yeah & if you want to include the number of turnovers of wild azz passes into the 7th row that would be appreciated too

statistics (don't tell the whole story but are fun)#:acclaim:

You could always find some kid who goes to their school (and their basketball games) to send you some color. He could be, like, your king kong spy, and you could, like, hook him up with some free demo golf gear.
concordtom
Shocky1;842775675 said:

the corrupt oregon basketball organization has offered jordan brown

Google Maps says Roseville to Eugene is 7.5 hours (never any traffic) vs 2 hours to Berkeley (adding a tad for traffic).
UCLA is 6 hours from Roseville, plus likely significant traffic.
mikecohen
Shocky1;842774784 said:

lou, let's be real clear here, i'm a big fan of utah but as we are continuing to try to strive to make the cal monster class better & figure out jobs we need to create education better so we can solve this problem, ok?

don't be a dumb azz#:cheer

I could be imagining this; but I got the feeling that it's not that she is not smart, but it's because (on the spur of the moment), as she was formulating her answer, she realized (being from Utah) that the question was coming from the political left, and that, as phrased, there was no responsive answer that did not adopt Democratic Party Orthodoxy, and that, as a good, probably Mormon Republican, it would not be Politically Correct for her to give an answer in which the private sector was not the solution, and the public sector was. So she did her best to screw the answer around to leave the power in the private sector (even though the issue, as phrased, was clearly not appropriate to a strictly private sector analysis. But: Good College Try (or College Republican Try).
concordtom
Shocky1;842775588 said:

the spider fly with 27 points & 7 boards vs saugus

might try to watch juhwan play on january 7th during the cal roadtrip (bears play ucla on the 5th & usc on the 8th) to la to see if he's improving his crooked azz perimeter shooting (gotta put up 500+ shots a day like jemarl & trevin) or if he's just scoring in transition & on offensive putbacks relying upon his +1 athleticism

next season the starting job at the 3 will be wide open with jabari's graduation & hopefully elevation to the nba, as it stands right now the spider fly got an opportunity to compete with dontae coleman for that role

I think there is no way that Coleman could play the 3. Too short. I suppose we'd have to go with a super speedy guard lineup, and he'd certainly be a speedy option. I just don't see it, though. You really think so?
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]My early season [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR="#000080"]Jorge Gutierrez Defensive Hustle Award[/COLOR][/FONT] goes to Roger Moute A Bidias[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]This is one of my highest awards bestowed on a Cal basketball player[/SIZE]

concordtom
HoopDreams;842775875 said:

By the way, Roger stepped to the line and the camera got a good shot. Is he ripped or what? Like, super low body fat %.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7][FONT=Impact][COLOR="#000080"]cool fifty[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]I believe we are witnessing the greatest Cal women basketball player of all time
[/SIZE]

OdontoBear66
mikecohen;842775708 said:

I would be REALLY shocked if there was any danger (above the normal risks of playing basketball) to Rabb's future in his playing with clear disabilities involved with the injury he has. Like has been said above: Although one always assumes such an enhanced risk on "playing through pain", one also assumes (based on a lot that has flowed through this Board about the attitude and policies on this of the Staff) that this consideration would be sacrosanct. One thing though is the possibility of compensation injuries (i.e., overuse of other parts of the body to compensate for the weakness of the disabled part). This can be quite unbalancing - keeping in mind all the different parts of the body that would be used to compensate for the weakened part, not the least of which would be the spine (which could get twisted in new and un-accustomed ways - which, re the spine, tends to play itself out throughout the whole spinal column). Anyhow, I'm assuming everybody involved understood these considerations and acted accordingly so as not to put the future at risk.

I wanna win too, but is this UO corrupt BB South?
HoopDreams

Shocky1
what's your work ethic, how relentlessly are you pursuing your dreams?

"he (trevin knell) is in the gym every single day and he's been going to personal training to get stronger...i haven't coached many kids that have put in the hours that he has on a daily basis...he's sacrificed things that other guys aren't willing to sacrifice...i'm glad that it's really starting to pay off for him"
-kasey walkenhurst, woods cross high school head basketball coach

"once i saw all these kids from across the country and play in these showcase games i realized, "holy cow, i'm nowhere where i could be"...from then on, me and my mom would wake up at five in the morning so that i could get some shots up (a minimum of 500+ & sometimes 1000), then i'd stay after practice, i always try to be the last person to leave the gym"
-trevin knell, one of the nation's elite high school shooters & true student athlete with a 4.0 gpa

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4655199-155/boys-basketball-woods-cross-thinks-it

crooked azz shooting is not a fate, it's a decision#:tree
Shocky1
bizarroland: the #12 ranked st mary gaels (who lost to cal in their preseason scrimmage in moraga) got hoofed 65-51 by the ut arlington mavericks at the gaels tiny trap house
Shocky1
time to leave the islands & get back to the desert, gonna miss the food trucks

[video=youtube;78s7DO5eehQ][/video]

shocky's final ride (sunset beach)#
concordtom
Shocky1;842775948 said:

bizarroland: the #12 ranked st mary gaels (who lost to cal in their preseason scrimmage in moraga) got hoofed 65-51 by the ut arlington mavericks at the gaels tiny trap house

So then why are you so afraid to play them there?
petalumabear
concordtom;842776023 said:

So then why are you so afraid to play them there?

Tom I agree with you.... I met with a client this am who was on USF's basketball team with Bill Russell. He shared some great stories about the games played by all the Bay teams and how important those games were to the programs, the Bay Area and the recruiting of local talent. The gyms at St. Mary's, USF, Santa Clara and (to a lesser extent) Gonzaga are much more reminiscent of high school gyms .... fun experience being on top of the players and the action and they can get bloody loud...

I'd love to see us play home and homes against the Bay Area schools and get Stanfurd involved too....
concordtom
petalumabear;842776207 said:

Tom I agree with you.... I met with a client this am who was on USF's basketball team with Bill Russell. He shared some great stories about the games played by all the Bay teams and how important those games were to the programs, the Bay Area and the recruiting of local talent. The gyms at St. Mary's, USF, Santa Clara and (to a lesser extent) Gonzaga are much more reminiscent of high school gyms .... fun experience being on top of the players and the action and they can get bloody loud...

I'd love to see us play home and homes against the Bay Area schools and get Stanfurd involved too....

Yes, good thinking.
Rather than home and homes, I'd rather see some sort of annual tournament setup so that these rivalries could play out each year along with the excitement of a tournament format.
Plenty of CA schools to choose from, and guests could rotate on a multi-year basis. East Bracket games at Furd. West Bracket games at Haas. Two brackets don't necessarily have to play each other in final match, so that conference foes can save that for conference play.

Perhaps a 4 day matchup of games:

Day 1: Furd hosts BigWest 1, followed by Mtn West 1 vs West Coast 1 (double header on the farm)
Day 2: Cal hosts BigWest2, followed by Mtn West 2 vs West Coast 2 (double header at Haas)
Day 3: back to Furd - Losers match up, followed by Winners to decide the East Bracket championship
Day 4: back to Haas - Losers match up, followed by Winners to decide the West Bracket championship

Why not? Are there not enough BB junkies around here that would go for that?

[U]From the Pac:
[/U]Cal
Stanford

[U]From the WAC:
[/U]CSU Bakersfield

[U]From the West Coast:
[/U]San Francisco
Saint Mary's
Santa Clara
Pacific
Pepperdine
Loyola Marymount

[U]From the Mountain West:
[/U]SDSU
San Jose State
Fresno State
Nevada (yeah, never mind the border - Reno is Tahoe, and I'm guessing much of their student body is from NorCal)

[U]From the Big West:
[/U]Cal Poly
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Cal State Fullerton
CS Northridge
UC Riverside
Long Beach State
UC Santa Barbara

If there were a way to figure out how to get some cross bracket games without matching up conference foes, that would be cool, too.
bearmanpg
You left out one D1 NorCal team...Sac St.....
First Page Last Page
Page 60 of 186

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.