Goff trade?

45,927 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the End, there will only be two living species:
Ben and cockroaches.....and maybe Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
heartofthebear
bearister said:

In the End, there will only be two living species:
Ben and cockroaches.....and maybe Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Except that Marjorie can't live without Q-Anon, so no, unless Ben is Q-Anon.
philbert
bearister said:

I'd trade Carr for a new water boy. This was as of February, 2020:

Worst record as starter vs. playoff teams since 2001
1. David Carr 3-33 (.083)
2. Derek Carr 4-33 (.108)
3. Matthew Stafford 8-55 (.127)
4. Blake Bortles 4-25 (.138)
5. Jameis Winston 4-23 (.148)
Raiders may have some other issues besides Carr...

philbert
Back to Goff: click to read the entire interesting thread. Seems far fetched to me.

71Bear
philbert said:

Back to Goff: click to read the entire interesting thread. Seems far fetched to me.

From ESPN...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30801698/sources-detroit-lions-matthew-stafford-los-angeles-rams-explore-trade-scenarios

BearSD
Seems dubious that the Rams would send out a 1st round pick plus Goff to get Stafford. Mostly it seems like Snead would be admitting he was a moron to use the top pick in the draft on Goff and then give him a contract so big that it could only be moved by sending another 1st round pick along in the deal. That sounds like the kind of deal a new GM would make after Snead was fired, to say, hey, we have to clean up after his mistakes.

But if that really is the deal, then either the Rams have to include their 2022 1st round pick, or it has to be a 3-way trade where the Rams send a player to a team that sends its 1st round pick to Detroit.
Bearly Clad
It's possible for them to have a 1st round pick to trade in this draft. They could put a first round tender on Darious Williams and easily still lose him. That would mean they have the 1st rounder from the team that signs him and those picks (unlike traditional compensatory picks) can be traded. It would be a weird situation for sure, but so far it looks like it'll be a wonky offseason in general
bearister
I'm just looking forward to having a new NFL team to be my favorite team. Thrilled to drop the Rams.
philbert
The Rams really need for another QB needy team to love Goff and be willing to take him in trade and not need to attach a sweetener to do it. There's no way the Rams or any team can take the $65M dead salary cap hit if they cut him. Can they find that GM? Unfortunately for them, Bill O'Brien already got fired.
okaydo

grrrah76
McLovin could use a legitimate deep threat to open up the passing game and some more protection from the OL. The league has figured out McVey's game and too much blame is falling on the QB. Jared does need to eliminate some of the bonehead turnovers though.

\
91Cal
grrrah76 said:

McLovin could use a legitimate deep threat to open up the passing game and some more protection from the OL. The league has figured out McVey's game and too much blame is falling on the QB. Jared does need to eliminate some of the bonehead turnovers though.

\
As the above article lays out, the shortcomings are McVey's offense and the personnel decisions affecting RB, WR deep threat and OL...and throwing Goff under the bus is a coordinated effort to distract from these.

The absurdity that the numbers and comparisons keep showing as everyone looks deeper (especially at Stafford's numbers despite having one of the best receivers of the last 20 years) is exposing the plot.

I am to the point that I hope Goff lands with the 49ers despite all the reasons I can't stand what the York family has done to the franchise and goes undefeated against McVey and the Rams for the remainder of his career.
philbert
WOW!

hanky1
philbert said:

WOW!

They gave up a lot for Stafford.

had to throw in a 1st rounder to convince them to take Goff's contract? Lol probably not but damn...
sycasey
Bearly Clad said:

Here's a comparison of their '19 seasons because it's the best season of Garoppolo's career and was widely considered to be a down year for Goff

Garoppolo in '19: 69% completion percentage, 3978 yards, 27 TDs to 13 INTs
Goff in '19: 63% completion percentage, 4638 yards, 22 TDs to 16 INTs

That's Goff's step back year against the best Jimmy G has to offer and they're still pretty comparable.

You should add to this that Goff had about 150 more attempts in posting those numbers, which means Garoppolo was far more efficient: 8.4 yards per attempt to 7.4 for Goff.

However, that is also Garoppolo's only healthy season so the larger point about Goff being more productive is correct.
Bobodeluxe
No love. #1. Biggest bust ever?
hanky1
hanky1
hanky1 said:

philbert said:

WOW!

They gave up a lot for Stafford.

had to throw in a 1st rounder to convince them to take Goff's contract? Lol probably not but damn...
Ok it turns out I was right...

calpoly
philbert said:

WOW!

Go Lions! Screw the Rams!
BearSD
Golden One
Terrible trade for the Rams. Stafford is not a quality starting NFL quarterback.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
It's hard to root for the Lions. I never have before.

Buuuut... Jared to Marvin...

Edit: Shoot, I just read that Marvin Jones is a free agent. His future is uncertain at the moment?
sycasey
Bobodeluxe said:

He made it to a Super Bowl so no. Jamarcus Russell may still hold the title.
helltopay1
Dear Golden one; I understand optometrists are now taking appointments in your area. Steal for thge Rams. stealer the Lions, too. Now, the niners have to face Murray, Stafford and Wilson...Ouch!!!!!
philbert
sycasey said:

Bobodeluxe said:

He made it to a Super Bowl so no. Jamarcus Russell may still hold the title.
yup

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/5-worst-no-1-overall-draft-picks-nfl-history
bonsallbear
JJared got a huge payday a couple years back and so he set for life. Not so bad right?
calumnus
My return to Rams fandom was short lived.

bearister
It feels weird having Detroit as my NFL team now. F LA.

Winning Percentage
Matthew Stafford .452%
Jared Goff .609%

*Sean McVay just advanced one square on the Running out of Excuses board
Bearly Clad
Even if you're a Goff hater you've gotta admit the Rams just got fleeced. They just got a younger QB on a comparable contract and high quality draft pick ammo.

Plus, now we get to see two Cal vs Cal games next season (cuz lets be honest, Rodgers isn't going anywhere) and we get to see Jared play on Thanksgiving since the Lions always get one of those games.

Most elite QBs get there in year 6-10 unless they're Mahomes or Marino, if Jared proves to be an elite QB before the end of his contract and/or the Rams collapse then this trade could go down like the Jayson Tatum - Markelle Fultz pick swap between the Sixers and Celtics
okaydo
bearister
hanky1 said:

He'll figure out someway to make it through the night.

TouchedTheAxeIn82
bearister said:

hanky1 said:

Well, we'll see if this relationship survives one of them moving to friggin' Detroit.
bearister
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

bearister said:

hanky1 said:

Well, we'll see if this relationship survives one of them moving to friggin' Detroit.

I can think of 134,000,000 reasons why it will survive.
burritos
Quicken is in Detroit isn't it?
71Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

JaMarcus Russell.....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.