Goff trade?

45,767 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearister
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

bipolarbear
okaydo said:

I forgot to add:

I think Goff will embrace being in Detroit. I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder. I think doesn't give a damn about Detroit's reputation. Also, I bet he'll do well playing in cold weather games despite his "small hands."
Detroit plays in a dome so the cold shouldn't matter in home games.
bipolarbear
okaydo said:

Looks like Troy has got Trump's paint job.
okaydo
bipolarbear said:

okaydo said:

I forgot to add:

I think Goff will embrace being in Detroit. I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder. I think doesn't give a damn about Detroit's reputation. Also, I bet he'll do well playing in cold weather games despite his "small hands."
Detroit plays in a dome so the cold shouldn't matter in home games.

At least Goff got a chance to play in Lambeau in the cold. (And he's already had a bad experience playing at Soldier Field in the cold.)
hanky1
Let's get real guys. The Lions are effin terrible. Far worse than the Rams. This is not a good move for Goff.
Bearly Clad
Also his last two games were a road playoff game in Seattle in January where he outplayed Russell Wilson and the snow game in Lambeau where he completed 78% of his passes, I don't think the cold weather will make that much of a difference

hanky1: did he upgrade his team? No, that's pretty clear. But he did upgrade his OL, arguably his receivers if Jones and Golladay re-sign, and Hockenson is a better TE than either Higbee or Everett. What really makes it a better situation though is that in LA he got trashed after leading them to the Super Bowl and Stafford got a pass for going 0-3 in playoff games (and being pretty mediocre in general). Now their roles are reversed, if Stafford has a playoff performance in LA like he did with Detroit he'll be the one taking heat. If Jared wins even a single playoff game with the Lions he'll be a living legend in Detroit. That's what really makes it a better situation, not the team quality because the Rams are contenders (or near enough) and the Lions aren't
okaydo
hanky1 said:

Let's get real guys. The Lions are effin terrible. Far worse than the Rams. This is not a good move for Goff.

Yeah, but it's a whole new GM, a whole new head coach (yes, he's a cannibal. But sometimes the most mocked decisions turn out to be the best). And Anthony Lynn, who oversaw Justin Herbert's rookie of the year season, is in charge of the offense. It could be terrible, it could be great. But at least it ain't Matt Patricia.

A perception I get from listening to podcasts and from Twitter is that Goff is believed to be a dumb toddler who needs his hand held and who can't think for himself. And that he's not much of a leader. (that sun sets in the East thing will forever haunt him.) I've listened to Goff extensively, and he is intelligent, damnit!

I kind of think that perception of him has done more harm than good. I think he needed to get out of there.

Maybe he'll suck. Maybe he won't. We'll see.
Golden One
Bearly Clad said:

Also his last two games were a road playoff game in Seattle in January where he outplayed Russell Wilson and the snow game in Lambeau where he completed 78% of his passes, I don't think the cold weather will make that much of a difference

hanky1: did he upgrade his team? No, that's pretty clear. But he did upgrade his OL, arguably his receivers if Jones and Golladay re-sign, and Hockenson is a better TE than either Higbee or Everett. What really makes it a better situation though is that in LA he got trashed after leading them to the Super Bowl and Stafford got a pass for going 0-3 in playoff games (and being pretty mediocre in general). Now their roles are reversed, if Stafford has a playoff performance in LA like he did with Detroit he'll be the one taking heat. If Jared wins even a single playoff game with the Lions he'll be a living legend in Detroit. That's what really makes it a better situation, not the team quality because the Rams are contenders (or near enough) and the Lions aren't
Exactly. Lion fans are like Cal fans--they have very low expectations. Seasons above .500 are considered successful. Ram fans are like USC fans; expectations are very high.
bearister
That's why as a former life long Raiders fan I am perfectly psychologically suited to attach my fandom to a loser organization. But boy, when I was young, 1966 to 1976 was a good decade to have Raider season tickets with your family. The days before tail gates serving meth and OE 40s and you believed, with good cause, that the Raiders would win every game.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo

Golden One
bearister said:

That's why as a former life long Raiders fan I am perfectly psychologically suited to attach my fandom to a loser organization. But boy, when I was young, 1966 to 1976 was a good decade to have Raider season tickets with your family. The days before tail gates serving meth and OE 40s and you believed, with good cause, that the Raiders would win every game.
I know what you mean. I had Raider season tickets from 1967 to 1970 and from 1980 to 1984. Those were good years.
bearister
I was at the Heidi Game and The Play at Cal. You?

Heidi Game - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

Heidi Game - Wikipedia

Now if you would have said holy roller game and the play I would have said you need to attend all Cal games for the good luck factor.
okaydo
bearister
That, right there, is what you call a Class Act.
okaydo

BearlyCareAnymore
okaydo said:

I'm not a Goff fan boy by any stretch. For me unfortunately he is associated with the Dykes era. But the guy is a nice, guy. He's a good guy. He works really hard. He put up with a lot of shyte his first year at Cal and with the Rams and didn't complain. From the outside he has always seemed like a good teammate. He is a decent QB. Moving on from him is one thing. McVay has treated him like garbage. He is scapegoating him for team wide issues. I have no respect for how he has handled the situation.

Would love to see Detroit in the playoffs and the rams out next year, not because I care that much about Goff but because McVay deserves the karma
calumnus
OaktownBear said:

okaydo said:

I'm not a Goff fan boy by any stretch. For me unfortunately he is associated with the Dykes era. But the guy is a nice, guy. He's a good guy. He works really hard. He put up with a lot of shyte his first year at Cal and with the Rams and didn't complain. From the outside he has always seemed like a good teammate. He is a decent QB. Moving on from him is one thing. McVay has treated him like garbage. He is scapegoating him for team wide issues. I have no respect for how he has handled the situation.

Would love to see Detroit in the playoffs and the rams out next year, not because I care that much about Goff but because McVay deserves the karma

A lot of great Cal players have played for a lot of mediocre to bad coaches. I root for the players, not the coaches. The players are fellow alums, Cal Bears for life.
Golden One
bearister said:

Heidi Game - Wikipedia

Yes, I was at both of those games. In the excitement of the Heidi game I actually dislocated my right shoulder! Raider games were tough!
bearister
Golden One said:

bearister said:

Heidi Game - Wikipedia

Yes, I was at both of those games. In the excitement of the Heidi game I actually dislocated my right shoulder! Raider games were tough!

As a kid I thought Broadway Joe was the epitome of cool. Fur coat, Fu man chu , white football shoes and hot women.
Next post is the ridiculously suggestive shaving commercial with Farah...which brings to mind the Stones lyrics from Let it Bleed:

" Yeah we all need someone we can dream on
And if you want it baby, you can dream on me
Yeah, we all need someone we can cream on
Yeah and if you want to, you can cream on me"

bearister
FloriDreaming
As a Rams fan and a Goff fan I'm not at all happy about this trade. Maybe an upgrade at QB, but not what some fans imagine, as the Rams are a run-based offense.

A lot of Rams fans are the same special kind of stupid you see on this board and others - they imagine their team is just one QB away from perfection. They all find out soon enough that QBs don't do everything.

Snead has been an idiot when it comes to trades for a while now. This is more of the same pattern.
BearSD
Silver has a good article connecting the dots between Tampa signing Brady and going to the Super Bowl, with the Rams and other teams now willing to pay a high price to make a QB move that they think could get them to a Super Bowl.

Tampa's GM makes a good point, though, about teams who try to follow this formula.

Quote:

With the start of the league year six weeks away and one high-profile trade in the books, the looking has begun in full force. There will be covetous gazes from coast to coast, as possibly unobtainable passers like Rodgers, Watson and Prescott -- along with many others who could likely be pried away for the right price, and a crop of draft-eligible newbies -- get the once-over from GMs and coaches hoping to replicate that celebratory moment Licht and Arians had last March, with the promise of a much more joyous one come Super Sunday.

"It's been such a copycat league forever," Licht said. "But I don't know. None of these quarterbacks you're talking about have won six Super Bowls."
https://www.nfl.com/news/sidelines/bucs-success-of-brady-signing-has-nfl-eyeing-massive-qb-movement
bearister
OaktownBear said:

I'm not a Goff fan boy by any stretch.....

Am I a Goff fan boy by every stretch?

*I'm even contemplating moving to Motown with Jared and his girl.

chazzed
Dinero's Giants hat in that photo has a poor shape.
bearister
"Of the 22 QBs drafted in the first round from 2009 to 2016, zero are still with their original team. Zero!!!

2009: Stafford (Lions), Mark Sanchez (Jets), Josh Freeman (Bucs)
2010: Sam Bradford (Rams), Tim Tebow (Broncos)
2011: Cam Newton (Panthers), Jake Locker (Titans), Blaine Gabbert (Jaguars), Christian Ponder (Vikings)
2012: Andrew Luck (Colts), Robert Griffin III (Washington), Ryan Tannehill (Dolphins), Brandon Weeden (Browns)
2013: E.J. Manuel (Bills)
2014: Blake Bortles (Jaguars), Johnny Manziel (Browns), Teddy Bridgewater (Vikings)
2015: Jameis Winston (Bucs), Marcus Mariota (Titans)
2016: Jared Goff (Rams), Wentz (Eagles), Paxton Lynch (Broncos)

P.S. ... There were three QBs taken in the first round of the 2017 draft. Patrick Mahomes is staying put, but the other two Mitch Trubisky and Deshaun Watson could be on new teams next year, as well." Axios
philbert
That just goes to show how drafting a QB in round 1 is such a crapshoot.
Go!Bears
philbert said:

That plus unreasonable expectations. Either you are a 'Brady' or you are garbage.
GivemTheAxe
Go!Bears said:

philbert said:

That plus unreasonable expectations. Either you are a 'Brady' or you are garbage.

Even A Rodgers (the NFL MVP) is no Brady. A QB's success depends a lot on the talent (or lack thereof) that surrounds him.
The Rams and Green Bay are both lacking in important aspects.
Bearly Clad
Tbh I'm not really sure there is a big takeaway from this, it's just organizations mismanaging players and assets. I mean who "won" the Wentz draft day trade? One team got a super bowl win (Wentz didn't play in it but he set them up for homefield advantage through their playoff run) and the other got a whole lot of nothing even though that was mostly the Brown's own fault.
okaydo
okaydo
Bearly Clad
Just piggybacking with a couple posts celebrating the new era for JG16 and Detroit. You (and everyone else) are especially gonna wanna watch the last video
okaydo
Bearly Clad said:

Just piggybacking with a couple posts celebrating the new era for JG16 and Detroit. You (and everyone else) are especially gonna wanna watch the last video

Hadn't seen that. Dang. I'm scared to read the comments under each of those tweets.
Bearly Clad
Hahahah yea... the internet isn't usually kind to Jared. Something about a blonde California kid with a charmed life (#1 public university in the world, #1 overall draft pick, dates a model, went to a super bowl, huge payday, pops played in the MLB, raised in Marin, etc) really threatens a lot of folks for some reason

I don't often go in for comments but from what I've seen the replies to your video and the ones I posted have been overwhelmingly positive -- especially for twitter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.