Story Poster
Photo by © Neville E. Guard-USA TODAY Sports
Cal Football

As a Group Cal Wide Receivers are Quite a Catch

June 26, 2021

The Cal wide receiver crew, which had some pretty good moments in the shortened 2020 season, figures to be considerably improved in 2021.

Makai Polk, who caught 17 passes a year ago, has transferred, but everyone else  who contributed last season is back and nobody figures to get worse and most are considerably better.

“I love this position group,” coach Burl Toler III said in an interview this week. “They are a true conglomerate. There is a little bit of everything put together to be a solid unit. We are getting better and better each day through the maturity and growth of all the receivers in their game on and off the field. 

“Most of the guys that contributed last year are returning and we added some depth as well. We are in a great spot right now. They have great chemistry with the quarterbacks and we are looking forward to big things. I expect a lot out of those guys.”

The Bears have 14 wide receivers on the roster, including two freshmen who arrived only this month. A look at each of the receivers with comments from Toler. 

Justin Richard Baker 5-10, 180, Soph.

Toler: “He came in with the class of 2020 and really shocked a lot of the people that didn’t know him. Those that knew him were not surprised. He is the first one in the meetings, and the last one to leave. He is not afraid to speak his mind or ask questions. He makes me a better coach based on how he just prepares himself and how he treats being here. Love having him in the room. He had a great spring ball, was extremely productive.”

Tommy Christakos, 6-4, 205 Soph.

Toler: “He earned the nickname ‘Topshelf Tommy”. He is an extremely long-bodied, strong kid. He can run and when you put it up on the top shelf he is the only one who can get it. He is doing great, had a wonderful spring ball. He is a quick learner, extremely coachable. He does great in the classroom and that translates well onto the field.”

Trevon Clark, 6-4, 190, Sr.

Toler: “I am just lucky to have this guy in the room. He is very mature and has his internal motivation. Big family man, a guy that leads by example. I think he has faced a good amount of adversity and he has been able to translate that into success. He has been able to coach those

© Kelley L Cox | 2019 Mar 24
Trevon Clark makes a clutch leaping catch in Big Game

young guys, and really take on the leadership role. I am looking forward to what he is going to do this season. He has a lot to prove, and I know he has a chip on his shoulder and he’s ready to cut loose.”

Kekoa Crawford, 6-1, 195, Redshirt-Sr.

Toler: “He is like having another coach in the room. He’s an absolute baller. A lot of fans may recognize him for making plays. He is never satisfied. Any time I say, ‘Good job’, he shakes his head because he thinks that’s not as good as he can do. He’s his own toughest critic. I think we have only seen the start of what he can do. In spring ball he did great and steadily improved. I am looking forward to him leading this group.”

Grant Daley, 6-1, 195, Soph.

Toler: “He has been awesome, a local kid out of De La Salle. In the last couple of years he has jumped out, surprised a bunch of people. He is just scratching the surface. He’s easy to notice because he is always on the field, always asking questions about how he can get better. ...I won’t be surprised when he is making plays for the Golden Bears.”

Jeremiah Hunter, 6-2, 190, Soph.

Toler: “We are getting used to him making plays on the field. He has a knack for the ball. He has contagious energy off the field, everybody loves him. The ball finds him on the field, contagious in that way as well. Every week he is asking for cutouts and plays, players to look at and study. He is a football junkie, he loves it. He had a great spring ball, the first time he was actually able to run around and catch the ball and he did a great job. We are expecting a lot of great things in the near future for him.”

Aidan Lee, 6-3, 230, Soph.

Toler: “He is a great addition to the room. Just started going last year, the class of 2020. He had a great spring ball, he is going to be a force to be reckoned with just because of his size and speed combination. He is going to be a big contributor on special teams and he is going to contribute to the offense as well.”

© Neville E. Guard-USA TODAY Sports
Crawford celebrates a TD

Mason Mangum 5-11, 185, Soph.

Toler:  “One of the best kids you will ever meet. He is just barely scratching the surface of what he can do. Fast kid, out of Texas (Austin), good family. Ran track this season and it will be great to see him translate that speed onto the football field.”

Nikko Remigio, 5-10, 195, Sr.

Toler: “He is a leader, really coming into that role. Seems like he got to be a senior pretty quick. It’s been awesome having him. He is extremely passionate. He understands what it takes to be a leader on and off the field. Great family and he is extremely competitive, growing up with two brothers. He brings that competitive attitude to the receiver room and to the team. He is never satisfied, which is a great trait for a football player. We’ve seen some great things, big plays and I think he is going to do a lot more. I am privileged and honored to have him in the room.”

Chris Rogers, 6-3, 185, Redshirt-Soph.

“Toler: Local kid (Acalanes High-Lafayette), was a great addition as a walkon two years ago. He is steadily improving. He hasn’t seen any action yet, but with his dedication and mentality, I won’t be surprised if he does. Looking forward to his contribution.

Jared Staub, 6-0, 185, Redshirt-Soph.

Toler: “He is awesome. I had a great talk with him and he kind of laid out the plan of what he wanted to do and how is going to do it. He’s done everything to get there to this point. He has had a great offseason and whatever he says we are going to hold him to it. He wants to prove himself and we have every reason to believe he is going to do it.”

Monroe Young, 6-0, 205, Redshirt-Jr.

Toler: “He is an instant leader. He is coming into his role, from the end of the season until the spring and then into the offseason I have seen great improvement in his game. His quickness, his strength, and just him being a leader. He has all the attributes to be a great receiver here and to contribute on special teams. I am looking forward to the things that he is going to do.

Freshmen who arrived this month:

Mavin Anderson, 6-0, 195.

Toler: “Had an extremely productive high school career. Runs 10.7 100 meters. Dedicated and focused and knows what he wants.”

J, Michael Sturdivant, 6-3, 185

Toler: “He is from Texas (Flower Mound). He is put together. I got to know him and his family really well during recruiting. Forty offers later he is dedicated to the Golden Bears because of the relationship we were able to build and because of his vision of the things he is going to do in this program. He is going to find a spot pretty quickly and have an immediate impact.”

Related:

Cal Running Backs Can Carry the Load

Linebackers Are an Interesting Mix

Cal Offensive Line Is Deep and Experienced

Discussion from...

As a Group Cal Wide Receivers are Quite a Catch

6,506 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
CALiforniALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope Toler stays around for a long time. He seems like a great coach who can really connect with the players and the Cal experience. He was one of my favorites to watch when he was on the field.

Looking forward to the season.
BearForce2
I hope Garbers can find these guys on the field.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Econ141
I hope Musgrave can call a few plays for these guys.
HungryCalBear
I have a feeling Cal Offense is going to outshine the Defense this year.
calumnus
HungryCalBear said:

I have a feeling Cal Offense is going to outshine the Defense this year.

That would be a great development. It would eliminate the biggest question mark about Wilcox as a head coach. I have confidence in Wilcox consistently delivering a good defense.
Radical Bear
Who's the fastest?
BusAdBear
Did Ben Skinner graduate? Retire? Transfer?

Same q's for Evan King.
WalterSobchak
Radical Bear said:

Who's the fastest?
Almost certainly JMike. He's arguably in the Jahvid neighborhood. Ran a wind-aided 10.39 100m this year at the Texas state HS meet. Best's HS PR was a wind-aided 10.31, also as a Senior at the 2007 CIF championship meet. JMike had more wind so it's not a direct comparison, but he's fast. Previous best was a 10.49. Note the glowing praise from Toler and heavy implication that he will see significant time, if not start, this year as a true freshman.
GivemTheAxe
CALiforniALUM said:

I hope Toler stays around for a long time. He seems like a great coach who can really connect with the players and the Cal experience. He was one of my favorites to watch when he was on the field.

Looking forward to the season.

I hated to see Polk leave. He was my second favorite receiver after Remigio. Just ahead of Crawford and Clark.
But it looks like the bench is well stocked with quality receivers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.