Texas and Oklahoma reach out to SEC to join conference

22,617 Views | 222 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by calumnus
BearinOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

sketchy9 said:

71Bear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

LegoBear said:

I wonder if this is going to end up long term killing college football as well. If this end up leading to a super league with a few teams will they eventually be able to compete with the NFL?

For instance I only care about watching SEC or B1G games because I started watching Cal football. If Cal is no longer playing with those big boys or never did I don't think I'll care anymore and will go back to just watching NFL games instead of some super league.

Maybe that's just me and the new super leagues will be able to continue to pull in big and ever growing numbers. Looks like we'll see.

Agree. I said much the same in my post way back when.

By eliminating the relevance of more and more colleges, TV is eating away at the national viewership that has made college football so popular on TV. That's not a good (viable) long term strategy.
Most successful businesses seek to increase their customer base not decrease that base.

But the same is true about many other recent fan-unfriendly changes brought about by TV: moving games away from Saturday, Late night or early morning games, (worst of all) non-disclosure of the starting times of games until a few days before the scheduled game day.

When we die hard fans move on to the "great stadium in the sky", there will be no more fans to take our place here on earth.
I think what many Cal fans forget is they are not the intended audience. The focus of the college athletics industry is the Midwest and South. They are the people who live and die every Saturday. They are the intended audience. For every Cal fan who says, "no thanks", there are a thousands in other parts of the country who say, "more, please".

A guiding principle: never base anything regarding the US as a whole on the observations of people who live in Coastal California. We are an outlier. And, quite frankly, that is why I like living here.
I generally agree with you, but the question becomes is the gain of south and midwest audience enough to offset the loss of coastal CA audience, particularly once you factor in typical spending of each population? I have no idea, and I don't know if anyone does. It's an interesting thing to consider though.

It is not just California, the SEC excludes the major centers of population and wealth in the US, most of both coasts and the Midwest. There is a reason the Confederacy lost the Civil War and that was before the massive growth of the West and Midwest.

State and % of US GPD:
Texas 8.4%
Florida 5.2%
Georgia 3.0%'
Tennessee 1.7%
Missouri 1.5%
Louisiana 1.2%
South Carolina 1.1%
Alabama 1.1%
Kentucky 1.0%
Oklahoma 0.9%
Arkansas 0.6%
Mississippi 0.5%

Together that is about 25% of US GDP

How does it make sense for ESPN to focus on the 25% to the extent it would crowd out and exclude 75%? Why would ESPN pay big bucks for the CFP if it is only going to be a rehash of the SEC season? Why watch the SEC regular season if it only determines seeding in the CFP?

You maybe leaving out good entertaining Football watching by none Southern fans, and transplants from the South to watch their home team play. A lot our kids here in Orange County are going to Alabama, Florida and LSU due to their sports notoriety.
calumnus
BearinOC said:

calumnus said:

sketchy9 said:

71Bear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

LegoBear said:

I wonder if this is going to end up long term killing college football as well. If this end up leading to a super league with a few teams will they eventually be able to compete with the NFL?

For instance I only care about watching SEC or B1G games because I started watching Cal football. If Cal is no longer playing with those big boys or never did I don't think I'll care anymore and will go back to just watching NFL games instead of some super league.

Maybe that's just me and the new super leagues will be able to continue to pull in big and ever growing numbers. Looks like we'll see.

By eliminating the relevance of more and more colleges, TV is eating away at the national viewership that has made college football so popular on TV. That's not a good (viable) long term strategy.
Most successful businesses seek to increase their customer base not decrease that base.

But the same is true about many other recent fan-unfriendly changes brought about by TV: moving games away from Saturday, Late night or early morning games, (worst of all) non-disclosure of the starting times of games until a few days before the scheduled game day.

When we die hard fans move on to the "great stadium in the sky", there will be no more fans to take our place here on earth.
I think what many Cal fans forget is they are not the intended audience. The focus of the college athletics industry is the Midwest and South. They are the people who live and die every Saturday. They are the intended audience. For every Cal fan who says, "no thanks", there are a thousands in other parts of the country who say, "more, please".

A guiding principle: never base anything regarding the US as a whole on the observations of people who live in Coastal California. We are an outlier. And, quite frankly, that is why I like living here.
I generally agree with you, but the question becomes is the gain of south and midwest audience enough to offset the loss of coastal CA audience, particularly once you factor in typical spending of each population? I have no idea, and I don't know if anyone does. It's an interesting thing to consider though.

It is not just California, the SEC excludes the major centers of population and wealth in the US, most of both coasts and the Midwest. There is a reason the Confederacy lost the Civil War and that was before the massive growth of the West and Midwest.

State and % of US GPD:
Texas 8.4%
Florida 5.2%
Georgia 3.0%'
Tennessee 1.7%
Missouri 1.5%
Louisiana 1.2%
South Carolina 1.1%
Alabama 1.1%
Kentucky 1.0%
Oklahoma 0.9%
Arkansas 0.6%
Mississippi 0.5%

How does it make sense for ESPN to focus on the 25% to the extent it would crowd out and exclude 75%? Why would ESPN pay big bucks for the CFP if it is only going to be a rehash of the SEC season? Why watch the SEC regular season if it only determines seeding in the CFP?

You maybe leaving out good entertaining Football watching by none Southern fans, and transplants from the South to watch their home team play. A lot our kids here in Orange County are going to Alabama, Florida and LSU due to their sports notoriety.

Athletes or non-athletes? I agree that sports fans will want to watch the best, so there will be some of that, but the best football is the NFL and the NFL spreads itself out across the country for a reason.

Triple A baseball teams are largely located in smaller towns and rural states, especially throughout the South and Midwest. The G League for the NBA is similar. With NIL and these moves the SEC could be headed toward becoming the NFL's Triple A or G League. They already largely ignore academics. Triple A and G League do not attract big national audiences.

There have been upstart professional leagues like the USFL, only the AFL succeeded only because they merged with the NFL. The SEC will not merge with the NFL. They are headed toward being the NFL's professional development league but with limited geographic reach. The fans in the region will continue to be rabid supporters, and yes, they will attract top young talent (as Triple A teams do in baseball) but most football fans outside the region will focus on the NFL when it comes to watching professional football on TV. I think we will see ALOT more NFL games played on Saturdays.

Now if you are saying kids in Orange County who are not athletes are choosing to go to Alabama and pay out of state tuition rather than in state tuition at a UC or even CSU, because of the football team, well let's just say that is Darwinian self selection.

When I chose Cal, the football team played zero role. I became a fan as a student, not the other way around. My grad school was Columbia, in the midst of Columbia have a record setting multi year losing streak while playing in the Ivy League and scheduling small northeast school "patsies" for their OOC games.
calumnus
BearinOC said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

BearinOC said:

Bozodeluxe, you have been blocked so I can't read what you said but give it a rest, Boomer
Forum tip: If you have someone blocked, you can still read an individual post from them without unblocking them by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner of the post. In Bobodeluxe's case, it would be the diamond. I have one poster blocked but I still occasionally check posts from him when I feel it might be on topic and not trolling. I've even replied once or twice.
lol, thanks for that but I do not need any idiot spewing hate and nonsensical name calling due to different political views.

The irony and projection of many would be amusing if it wasn't so sad and dangerous for our country and our planet.
BearinOC
calumnus said:

BearinOC said:

BearinOC said:

Bozodeluxe, you have been blocked so I can't read what you said but give it a rest, Boomer
Forum tip: If you have someone blocked, you can still read an individual post from them without unblocking them by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner of the post. In Bobodeluxe's case, it would be the diamond. I have one poster blocked but I still occasionally check posts from him when I feel it might be on topic and not trolling. I've even replied once or twice.
lol, thanks for that but I do not need any idiot spewing hate and nonsensical name calling due to different political views.

The irony and projection of many would be amusing if it wasn't so sad and dangerous for our country and our planet.
I'm not the one who started the name calling. All I did was expressed my opinion that Fox has changed since Murdock's children took over.
BearinOC
calumnus said:

BearinOC said:

calumnus said:

sketchy9 said:

71Bear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

LegoBear said:

State and % of US GPD:
Texas 8.4%
Florida 5.2%
Georgia 3.0%'
Tennessee 1.7%
Missouri 1.5%
Louisiana 1.2%
South Carolina 1.1%
Alabama 1.1%
Kentucky 1.0%
Oklahoma 0.9%
Arkansas 0.6%
Mississippi 0.5%

Athletes or non-athletes? I agree that sports fans will want to watch the best, so there will be some of that, but the best football is the NFL and the NFL spreads itself out across the country for a reason.

Triple A baseball teams are largely located in smaller towns and rural states, especially throughout the South and Midwest. The G League for the NBA is similar. With NIL and these moves the SEC could be headed toward becoming the NFL's Triple A or G League. They already largely ignore academics. Triple A and G League do not attract big national audiences.

There have been upstart professional leagues like the USFL, only the AFL succeeded only because they merged with the NFL. The SEC will not merge with the NFL. They are headed toward being the NFL's professional development league but with limited geographic reach. The fans in the region will continue to be rabid supporters, and yes, they will attract top young talent (as Triple A teams do in baseball) but most football fans outside the region will focus on the NFL when it comes to watching professional football on TV. I think we will see ALOT more NFL games played on Saturdays.

Now if you are saying kids in Orange County who are not athletes are choosing to go to Alabama and pay out of state tuition rather than in state tuition at a UC or even CSU, because of the football team, well let's just say that is Darwinian self selection.

When I chose Cal, the football team played zero role. I became a fan as a student, not the other way around. My grad school was Columbia, in the midst of Columbia have a record setting multi year losing streak while playing in the Ivy League and scheduling small northeast school "patsies" for their OOC games.
I don't know that everyone watches the NFL. I certainly prefer to watch college over NFL.

The kids that grew up playing softball are going out of state, pay out of state tuition. I have a ton that quit softball due to various reasons but yet end up going to Arizona, State, Oregon, Washington, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Texas etc. I think it is because they are going due to the college experience and for football notoriety.

I can tell you, I pay a lot more for my son at UCSB over my daughter in a private university in Kansas. Granted, she gets sports and academic money. California does not keep it's public education promise to it's residents. UC's for instance would rather take more money from out of state and out of country kids than the resident kids.
BearSD
HearstMining said:

This link shows that TV viewers for nearly all sports are aging: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

and those states in the SEC and B1G, their populations have life expectancies 3-5 years shorter than the west coast, so their older viewers will die off sooner. I just got back from a week in NE Ohio and I can testify that this is the case - the number of overweight people of all ages is shocking. They are ticking time bombs.

In short, they can realign conferences all they want, but they're fighting demographic trends - basically rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Or...

They are creating their Super-SEC now precisely because of those demographic trends. They know they are in a race against the clock. They understand that their goose will stop laying golden eggs, probably before today's 20-somethings become 40-somethings.

This is their attempt to make as much money as they possibly can before the lucrative years of "big time" college football are gone forever.
Strykur
BearinOC said:

Bozo, what part of "you are blocked" do you not understand? Why do you keep responding to me knowing I can't and won't read your post. Have you lost all cognitive skills? Or are Senility and Alzheimers getting to you, Boomer.
The rest of us can read it though, so it is not necessarily meant for you.

Seriously, chill the **** out.
calumnus
BearinOC said:

Bozo, what part of "you are blocked" do you not understand? Why do you keep responding to me knowing I can't and won't read your post. Have you lost all cognitive skills? Or are Senility and Alzheimers getting to you, Boomer.

When you block someone, it means you cannot read their posts. However, they can still read and respond to your posts unless they block you too.

Are you doing alright? Maybe you should speak with someone?
GivemTheAxe
BearSD said:

HearstMining said:

This link shows that TV viewers for nearly all sports are aging: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

and those states in the SEC and B1G, their populations have life expectancies 3-5 years shorter than the west coast, so their older viewers will die off sooner. I just got back from a week in NE Ohio and I can testify that this is the case - the number of overweight people of all ages is shocking. They are ticking time bombs.

In short, they can realign conferences all they want, but they're fighting demographic trends - basically rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Or...

They are creating their Super-SEC now precisely because of those demographic trends. They know they are in a race against the clock. They understand that their goose will stop laying golden eggs, probably before today's 20-somethings become 40-somethings.

This is their attempt to make as much money as they possibly can before the lucrative years of "big time" college football are gone forever.

Sadly both of you, Bear SD and HearstMining are correct. TV is making college football more and more irrelevant to the lives of younger viewers by its many fan- unfriendly changes. Then TV executives bemoan the fact that younger TV viewers are abandoning college football.

The same can be said for Pro football. Years ago John Madden predicted that over the long run pro football would become less and less popular among the younger generation because the younger fans ( especially kids) were being priced-out of the market for watching live football in person. He said (in his own words) that in-person viewing had a direct impact on the intensity of a fan's devotion to that fan's team and to the sport in general. He predicted that fans supporting teams would get older and older and fans viewing teams on TV would likewise get older and older. (I have always considered him a very astute pundit on all-things football both on and off the field.)
Fyght4Cal
Somebody needs a timeout
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Bobodeluxe
BearinOC said:

Snowing again, love?
calumnus
BearinOC said:

Strykur said:

BearinOC said:

The rest of us can read it though, so it is not necessarily meant for you.

Seriously, chill the **** out.
Yes, I know y'all can. But when he is replying to me when I've blocked him, he know I am not reading his ****, yet, like a little ***** he continues to "reply" back to me instead of just posting.

I am chill. Very chill, too chill, thank you very much for your advice.

You have chosen to ignore his posts. He is free to read and respond to your posts.

You do not have control over other people. For someone who argues so much for your own freedom to do and say what you want you would think you would understand that.

My recommendation would be that, just like you ignore his posts, ignore the fact that he has replied to you. Just ignore him. or just keep doing what you are doing, it is your choice.
BearGreg
Staff
Folks - I think this is an important topic to keep on Growls.

Lose ALL the personal attacks and name-calling. None of it will be tolerated.

Do not inject politics into these discussions. It's immediately triggering.

I touched things up with edits and some warnings have been given out. Do not want to give folks time outs.

As always, board moderation isn't perfect or immediate. Let's do our best to ignore folks who are behaving badly
sketchy9
What are the prospects that the UC Regents would suggest/insist/require that Cal and UCLA are a package deal for any possible poaching or realignment? I would think that last thing they want is to be obligated to pay down the stadium debt, and realistically the only viable path to repayment is if Cal remains in the top tier of teams. I can't see why they would allow Cal to slip, and tying their fate to UCLA's seems like it would the best way to prevent that.
ColoradoBear
sketchy9 said:

What are the prospects that the UC Regents would suggest/insist/require that Cal and UCLA are a package deal for any possible poaching or realignment? I would think that last thing they want is to be obligated to pay down the stadium debt, and realistically the only viable path to repayment is if Cal remains in the top tier of teams. I can't see why they would allow Cal to slip, and tying their fate to UCLA's seems like it would the best way to prevent that.

Maybe? Probably depends on the situation. If the choice is have one school get paid, or none, maybe the Regents just let it happen. If there is a larger group bailing from the p12 as block, and it's Cal vs Furd or Cal vs CU for a slot, I'd sure hope the UC administration exerts whatever it takes to get Cal included including using UCLA as a bargaining chip.

Worst case - if there is room for 4 teams to bail which would be USC, Oregon, UW, and then UCLA without any chance at 6. Then if UCLA balks, CU or ASU get consideration. Only two teams leaving would IMO still leave a viable conference, just less $$$. 6+ leaving and I can't see Cal being left behind. But 4 leaving would take all the juice out of the Pac and it would be almost impossible to get Cal included.

So many scenarios though.

If tOSU and Mich somehow go to the SEC, I think one could have a viable more academic league with the BT leftovers, and the p12 without say USC and Oregon. It's entirely possible the new SEC model will require commitment to football and paying players that just don't sit right with a lot of universities.
calumnus
ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

Maybe? Probably depends on the situation. If the choice is have one school get paid, or none, maybe the Regents just let it happen. If there is a larger group bailing from the p12 as block, and it's Cal vs Furd or Cal vs CU for a slot, I'd sure hope the UC administration exerts whatever it takes to get Cal included including using UCLA as a bargaining chip.

Worst case - if there is room for 4 teams to bail which would be USC, Oregon, UW, and then UCLA without any chance at 6. Then if UCLA balks, CU or ASU get consideration. Only two teams leaving would IMO still leave a viable conference, just less $$$. 6+ leaving and I can't see Cal being left behind. But 4 leaving would take all the juice out of the Pac and it would be almost impossible to get Cal included.

If tOSU and Mich somehow go to the SEC, I think one could have a viable more academic league with the BT leftovers, and the p12 without say USC and Oregon. It's entirely possible the new SEC model will require commitment to football and paying players that just don't sit right with a lot of universities.

The news that Christ extended Knowlton through 2029 has me greatly depressed. I don't think our administration is effectively looking after our interests.
BearinOC
Now I heard today FSU and Clemson reached out to the SEC. If they end up going, I think it will be BIG10/PAC12 VS SEC. 2 super conferences. Either we take OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwester and the likes or they take Cal, Stanford, SC, UCLA Washington, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Baylor (for texas and oklahoma market) I say we dump Colorado and Utah (lack of population density). I do not believe the Regent will split UCLA and CAL up.

I honestly do not see how BIG10 and PAC12 doesn't consolidate if FSU and Clemson goes. West market is too big to ignore by either by FOX or ESPN.
BGolden
Texass lost to Cal their last 2 OOC games.
Good luck to them playing Tennessee/Florida/Georgia and finishing 5th or 6th in the conference every year.
/sarc
MinotStateBeav
BearinOC said:

Now I heard today FSU and Clemson reached out to the SEC. If they end up going, I think it will be BIG10/PAC12 VS SEC. 2 super conferences. Either we take OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwester and the likes or they take Cal, Stanford, SC, UCLA Washington, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Baylor (for texas and oklahoma market) I say we dump Colorado and Utah (lack of population density). I do not believe the Regent will split UCLA and CAL up.

I honestly do not see how BIG10 and PAC12 doesn't consolidate if FSU and Clemson goes. West market is too big to ignore by either by FOX or ESPN.
just an aside, Clemson is saying this report isn't true..so who knows. It seems like the SEC likes to do business in the dark. If the NCAA had any power they would be laying the hammer down on the SEC, but they seem completely neutered.
GivemTheAxe
There are so many rumors and wild guesses floating around that I don't feel constrained to throw mine out as well.
I agree that a BIg10/ Pac-12 combination of some sort makes the most sense especially if there is some way to wedge in Notre Dame. It could present a powerful marketing response to the SEC Godzilla going around and tearing up other leagues.
I also agree that Cal's lifesaver is that the UC Regents are not very likely to allow UCLA to be split off from Cal. That package deal gives Cal/UCLA some leverage in the various ongoing negotiations since it provides access to the California recruiting and TV markets.
Even better if Cal/UCLA/ Stanfurd/USC stick together to make all of California a package deal. Much better negotiating leverage.

But the PAC-12 folks need to take an active role and not wait around to be cherry picked to death
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

The news that Christ extended Knowlton through 2029 has me greatly depressed. I don't think our administration is effectively looking after our interests.
In the context of this thread, Knowlton is the most aggressive (other than maybe USC AD Bohn) in trying to move the Pac towards improving its position relative to the other P5 conferences. In terms of the direction of the Pac, expect some news about Knowlton and Bohn soon. You probably need to revisit your views on Knowlton after the football season. He is all in on football currently, and you can see if that works out both from an on the field performance side and a money side. It is interesting to see such a different takes on this board versus the Insider board re: Knowlton.
bencgilmore
calumnus said:

State and % of US GPD:
Texas 8.4%
Florida 5.2%
Georgia 3.0%'
Tennessee 1.7%
Missouri 1.5%
Louisiana 1.2%
South Carolina 1.1%
Alabama 1.1%
Kentucky 1.0%
Oklahoma 0.9%
Arkansas 0.6%
Mississippi 0.5%

That 25% segment spends an awful lot more of their life, viewing and spending on the product than other regions though. Much less competition (relatively little NFL compared to the NE/rust belt, less football interest in general on the west coast, etc)

Plus the SEC has built something of a cartel system where historically their teams start out ranked, play each other 8 times and a weak schedule otherwise... ensuring either the SEC teams who start high, or the SEC teams who beat them (often both) are ranked very high at the end. And for a casual viewer that little ranking # certainly helps.

ESPN is certainly trying to corner the market by having controlling interests in the conferences that draw eyeballs, as well as control of the playoff. My gut feeling is that they know that if current trends continue, the growth of media rights deals will plateau and eventually begin to fall. Eventually you will probably have a semi-pro league, where only the most competitive institutions will be able to draw talent to in turn draw sufficient eyeballs to justify giant media payouts, which in turn will be needed to pay players, etc. It'll turn into a pro model with teams existing to create profit, with teams being owned in part by the original institution, ESPN, and any body that sanctions it.

I like the Big 10 / Pac 12 proposal as a way to get some consistently good OOC games, but it is nothing more than a bandaid and nothing the Big 10 wouldn't/couldn't shred the moment something better comes along.

The only real scenario where Cal looks okay is if the Big 12 just implodes and the remaining 4 leagues basically go to 16. The Pac12 is old and geography is favorable, so I have hope. Other scenarios are pretty grim for Cal. If the Pac 12 gets raided, Cal is screwed. We might have hope that SC, Stanford and UCLA would drag us along but I wouldn't bank on it. And if a mega league is formed, Cal is probably ranked somewhere in the 40s or 50s in terms of attractiveness. The current bottom line (driven by stadium debt), lukewarm attendance/TV interest, general 7-8 win mediocrity are all issues.

I really want to know what SC, UCLA and Oregon really think about all this. If there is serious interest in a west wing in the Big 10... Cal needs to find a way onto that wagon

In any case, Cal better get back to winning and maybe paying off the stadium fast) or it'll be sitting on the sidelines with a mountain of worthless stadium debt in 10 years. The current bottom line would probably doom Cal if anyone genuinely decided to raid the Pac12 today. Winning cures everything, as they say. If this was happening back in 2006, I think we'd be at least a bit more secure in what the future held
MinotStateBeav
Big 12's Bob Bowlsby meeting with Pac 12's George Kliavkoff
https://theathletic.com/2749212/2021/08/03/big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-to-meet-with-pac-12s-george-kliavkoff-on-tuesday-sources/

I don't have a subscription to the athletic so I can't tell you whats in it, but I'm pretty sure Bowlsby brought knee pads.
Big Dog
Quote:

The Pac12 is old and geography is favorable...

Sure, the footprint is large, but its all about eyeballs (aka ratings). And on a % basis, fan passion is just not the same (as in the south or midwest) so smaller ratings for P12 games. (And the P12 network sure didn't help with more eyeballs.)

I could easily see USC, Oregon and Washington bolt for 'greener' pastures, leaving UCLA behind if the Regents make taking Cal a requirement. Stanford's an interesting case: they want to be a west coast HYS equivalent with D1 athletics. Sure, they'd love more money -- who wouldn't -- but they certainly don't need it and they might not want to be associated with money grubbing. (Bad for the brand?) But hooking up with the academic BiG might be acceptable.
71Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

https://theathletic.com/2749212/2021/08/03/big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-to-meet-with-pac-12s-george-kliavkoff-on-tuesday-sources/

I don't have a subscription to the athletic so I can't tell you whats in it, but I'm pretty sure Bowlsby brought knee pads.
Basically, a fact-finding discussion. Both conferences have something to offer along with some drawbacks. I suspect it will be more of a "how can we partner" than a conversation about a "takeover" by either conference.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

In the context of this thread, Knowlton is the most aggressive (other than maybe USC AD Bohn) in trying to move the Pac towards improving its position relative to the other P5 conferences. In terms of the direction of the Pac, expect some news about Knowlton and Bohn soon. You probably need to revisit your views on Knowlton after the football season. He is all in on football currently, and you can see if that works out both from an on the field performance side and a money side. It is interesting to see such a different takes on this board versus the Insider board re: Knowlton.

Wilcox was hired by Williams, so Knowlton gets little if any credit (or blame) for what happens in football this Fall IMO. Hopefully good things.

Knowlton completely screwed up men's basketball. The next few seasons will be historically bad. Knowlton's process in hiring Fox was as bad as it gets. It revealed a lot about Knowlton's acumen and biases. The roster and state of the program the next coach inherits will be the worst since I have been following Cal basketball (since 1980). I don't know if/when the program can recover.

Insiders by definition have a personal relationship with the administration and/or coaches. They think and say "Tom Holmoe (or Jim Knowlton) is such a nice guy to me (insider, usually a donor)." I appreciate the inside information they have, but they are generally the least objective on the board. Mostly they repeat the party line as insiders in politics do.

Insiders have always posted on these boards. They told us Holmoe was amazing, they told us we needed to spend $500 million on the stadium, they told us Desean Jackson was the problem with the 2007 team, last year they said Hyder would be the savior of the team, now they say it is another transfer Shepard. They always say the current person (chancellor, AD, Coach, OC, strength trainer) is great and now they realize that the last person they used to say was great, was actually horrible and all the problems the current person is having were the fault of the last person. Or the one before the last person. Rinse and repeat. To the extent there is a separate board for insiders it just becomes an echo chamber. The party line is not questioned.

I can only assume the insiders agreed, maybe even pushed for, the 8 year extension for Knowlton. I cannot see how that makes sense. However, now we can only hope things work out well for Cal. Tell me more about the great "aggressive" things Knowlton is doing "to improve our position relative to other P5 conferences" so I can be a believer too.
BearinOC
MinotStateBeav said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31950751/sources-commissioners-big-12-pac-12-meet-discuss-potential-strategic-partnership

Most exciting from PAC12 Commish: "We're, on purpose, not reaching out and trying to poach any schools, but my phone has blown up -- absolutely blown up over the last five days," Kliavkoff said. "And I've got lots and lots of calls from probably every school you would imagine and probably a few you'd be surprised by..."
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

All I ever read from the "insiders" is how terrific things are going to be, that all will be revealed soon, that if things work out regarding on field performance, etc. etc., etc., etc.

With all due respect, it is a load of **** that you are being fed. I know because I was there once upon a time. The fact of the matter is that the program stalled out years ago and the current administration has done nothing to improve the situation.

Cal's athletic leadership is all about hot air and puffery. The fan base has been given nothing but promises. It deserves better.

calumnus
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

All I ever read from the "insiders" is how terrific things are going to be, that all will be revealed soon, that if things work out regarding on field performance, etc. etc., etc., etc.

With all due respect, it is a load of **** that you are being fed. I know because I was there once upon a time. The fact of the matter is that the program stalled out years ago and the current administration has done nothing to improve the situation.

Cal's athletic leadership is all about hot air and puffery. The fan base has been given nothing but promises. It deserves better.

You get what you:
1. Deserve?
2. Expect?
3. Work for?
4. Tolerate?
dimitrig
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

You get what you:
1. Deserve?
2. Expect?
3. Work for?
4. Tolerate?

Pay for
calumnus
dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

You get what you:
1. Deserve?
2. Expect?
3. Work for?
4. Tolerate?

Pay for

Except you can overpay. Spending money doesn't always get you there. We spent $500 million on a stadium renovation and have yet to have a winning conference record ever since. Mark Fox makes $1.7 million per year. We went 3-15 in conference last year. I don't know how much Knowlton paid the search firm that served him up, but whatever it was it was too much. You have to be smart with your money too.
Eastern Oregon Bear
calumnus said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

You get what you:
1. Deserve?
2. Expect?
3. Work for?
4. Tolerate?

Pay for

Except you can overpay. Spending money doesn't always get you there. We spent $500 million on a stadium renovation and have yet to have a winning conference record ever since. Mark Fox makes $1.7 million per year. We went 3-15 in conference last year. I don't know how much Knowlton paid the search firm that served him up, but whatever it was it was too much. You have to be smart with your money too.
Every 90-100 years you have to renovate your stadium so that it doesn't crumble to the ground. Cal's case was especially costly because we had the wisdom to place the stadium directly on top of an active earthquake fault. If you thought a renovated stadium would score touchdowns or make tackles, you're delusional. As for the basketball team, I don't know how football stadium renovation was supposed to affect them.
calumnus

calumnus said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

You get what you:
1. Deserve?
2. Expect?
3. Work for?
4. Tolerate?

Pay for

Every 90-100 years you have to renovate your stadium so that it doesn't crumble to the ground. Cal's case was especially costly because we had the wisdom to place the stadium directly on top of an active earthquake fault. If you thought a renovated stadium would score touchdowns or make tackles, you're delusional. As for the basketball team, I don't know how football stadium renovation was supposed to affect them.

I didn't think we needed a renovated football stadium to win, but Tedford seemed to think so (based on his experience at Oregon) and convinced the administration that we did, that it needed to be Nike level high end, and that he would leave if we didn't.

Seismic safety could have been achieved at MUCH lower cost, especially if we moved concessions, restrooms and locker rooms outside of the interior spaces. We only needed a press box, not an amazing club level skybox built on top of the old seismically unsound stadium. The SAHPC did not have to be built underground, next to the seismically unsound stadium. Don't get me wrong, the result is amazing, a tremendous example of engineering and architecture, but the financial burden has also been and remains tremendous.

People who make $50,000 a year should not take out loans to live in $10 million homes, even if the home is amazing (as it should be at that price). It is simply more than they can afford given their income.
GivemTheAxe
calumnus said:

calumnus said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

You get what you:
1. Deserve?
2. Expect?
3. Work for?
4. Tolerate?

Pay for

I didn't think we needed a renovated football stadium to win, but Tedford seemed to think so (based on his experience at Oregon) and convinced the administration that we did, that it needed to be Nike level high end, and that he would leave if we didn't.

Seismic safety could have been achieved at MUCH lower cost, especially if we moved concessions, restrooms and locker rooms outside of the interior spaces. We only needed a press box, not an amazing club level skybox built on top of the old seismically unsound stadium. The SAHPC did not have to be built underground, next to the seismically unsound stadium. Don't get me wrong, the result is amazing, a tremendous example of engineering and architecture, but the financial burden has also been and remains tremendous.

People who make $50,000 a year should not take out loans to live in $10 million homes, even if the home is amazing (as it should be at that price). It is simply more than they can afford given their income.

I believe we had this argument before the CMS reconstruction. First, it was going to cost a heck of a lot of money just to keep CMS safe for the projected future.
Second, the powers that be decided that if we had to spend that much money anyway, then why not an upgrade that we could all be proud of.
Third, like almost all construction projects the ultimate price tag eventually turned out higher than expected (due in part to construction delays caused by lawsuits and tree-sitters).
It is a little late now to repeat prior arguments. There were different positions back then. Those who wanted a bigger renovation won the argument.

Tedford was on the side that wanted a bigger renovation. He understood that it would help in recruiting. Based upon comments from recent recruits, CMS is a big positive factor in the positive impression recruits get about the Cal program. Of course not the biggest factor or even one of the biggest factors. But it is an important factor.

Would Cal have made it he decision then if we knew it hen what we "know" now about the possible fate of
the PAC-12? Maybe, Maybe not.
But since we had no crystal ball the decision was made. Why the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" now?
Eastern Oregon Bear
GivemTheAxe said:

calumnus said:

calumnus said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

ColoradoBear said:

sketchy9 said:

You get what you:
1. Deserve?
2. Expect?
3. Work for?
4. Tolerate?

Pay for

I believe we had this argument before the CMS reconstruction. First, it was going to cost a heck of a lot of money just to keep CMS safe for the projected future.
Second, the powers that be decided that if we had to spend that much money anyway, then why not an upgrade that we could all be proud of.
Third, like almost all construction projects the ultimate price tag eventually turned out higher than expected (due in part to construction delays caused by lawsuits and tree-sitters).
It is a little late now to repeat prior arguments. There were different positions back then. Those who wanted a bigger renovation won the argument.

Tedford was on the side that wanted a bigger renovation. He understood that it would help in recruiting. Based upon comments from recent recruits, CMS is a big positive factor in the positive impression recruits get about the Cal program. Of course not the biggest factor or even one of the biggest factors. But it is an important factor.

Would Cal have made it he decision then if we knew it hen what we "know" now about the possible fate of
the PAC-12? Maybe, Maybe not.
But since we had no crystal ball the decision was made. Why the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" now?
Because it's so obvious we could have spent the 500 million dollars on the best coaches and be winning championships every year. Also, they seem to think it's a convenient club to bash Knowlton with even though he wasn't here until after the renovation was done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.