CAL vs Ducks Game thread

37,828 Views | 640 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Golden One said:

Should never run back a kickoff that goes I to the endzone.
Also most equate the chance of the run back reaching the 25 with the choice to do it. You also have to factor in the chance for a blocking in the back penalty, or a fumble so effectively your runback must at least get you over the 30 to even get close to the average value of same.
ducktilldeath
I understand "nobody" wants to hear this, and I apologize in advance, but at least your coach isn't Meathead Mario. Yeah yeah, he can recruit, big whoop. I'd rather have the little engine that could, at least you can pull(haha) for it, instead of a team that's always less than the sum of its parts, lead by a coach who sabotages the talent he spends 3000 hours a year bringing in.
dimitrig
ducktilldeath said:

I understand "nobody" wants to hear this, and I apologize in advance, but at least your coach isn't Meathead Mario. Yeah yeah, he can recruit, big whoop. I'd rather have the little engine that could, at least you can pull(haha) for it, instead of a team that's always less than the sum of its parts, lead by a coach who sabotages the talent he spends 3000 hours a year bringing in.

Wanna trade records?

KenBurnski
ducktilldeath said:

Nah that was actually sort of nice to hear. I imagine it would be infuriating.
ducktilldeath
dimitrig said:

ducktilldeath said:

Wanna trade records?

Okay fine, little engine that can't, but the point remains.
BearForce2
ducktilldeath said:

Meathead Mario has a win against a top 5 team on the road with arguably better talent. The Cal and Fresno St. victories were underwhelming, and there's no explanation for the Furd loss.
socaltownie
SBGold said:

And to coach this team to play so sloppy, I disagree they played their hearts out. We get up 17-10 in the fourth and in about a minute it's 17 all. That is not playing your hearts out
Defense was gassed because of lack of depth. Oregon simply decides to spread the field and then play zone read off tackle. We had not the ability to stop.
socaltownie
ducktilldeath said:

LOL. That talent has 1 loss and would make the playoffs absent the SEC bias. He is doing fine in a game in which 80% is recruiting.
blungld
It's not about the last play, it was about the last 4-8 plays. There didn't seem to be a plan of attack, or a commitment, or a fire. Each play stood on it's flimsy own. At the start of almost every game the team drives the field by pounding, then it gets cute and stops moving the ball. There at the end Brooks was playing like a man...and you stop feeding him at the 4 yard line? Don't even use him as a decoy or blocker?

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
BearForce2
blungld said:

It's not about the last play, it was about the last 4-8 plays. There didn't seem to be a plan of attack, or a commitment, or a fire. Each play stood on it's flimsy own. At the start of almost every game the team drives the field by pounding, then it gets cute and stops moving the ball. There at the end Brooks was playing like a man...and you stop feeding him at the 4 yard line? Don't even use him as a decoy or blocker?

I don't know if Brooks was injured or if Musgrave didn't have any confidence in the run game despite the yardage we were getting. If the situation were 4th and inches instead of out 2 yards, I think Musgrave would still have called some type of pass play.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calumnus
blungld said:

Exactly. We have seen Musgrave call 10 games now. No one doubts his technical knowledge, but he clearly lacks a coherent strategy. Early in the game we had a big play on first down running playing action then throwing to Tonges over the middle. A great call for a team that usually runs on first down. Then he never does it again. Those are the plays you need to give Garbers.

We March down the field running from power formations, then inexplicably go empty backfield spread in the red zone? That is just backwards. I always thought spread teams should do the opposite. What we are doing does not make any sense.

And someone should have told Musgrave that TDR always blitzes with the game on the line. We had two weeks to prepare, you'd think someone would mention it to him. Calling for Garbers to drop back and pass with the game on the line makes zero sense on multiple levels.
BearForce2

Clips from the final drive.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.