CAL vs Ducks Game thread

39,344 Views | 640 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
Golden One
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dimitrig said:

LunchTime said:

dimitrig said:

LunchTime said:

Garbers is better than you all give him credit.

The offense as a whole sucks, garbers doesn't.

4th year senior…

He doesn't suck but he's not good enough to win at Cal

Jesus... That bar is pretty ****ing high. I don't think Rodgers would be much better wins wise with this team.

Of all the problems with this team, blaming a pretty good QB is kind of low intelligence.

Oh, I think Rodgers would be a lot better.

You are underestimating how weak our offense is and the QB is a big part of that.

30 points is an offensive explosion for this team.

It's not all on Garbers, but he is not a "pretty good QB." He is an average to below average QB.

A team lean on talent like Cal needs a really good QB to win.

Garbers is an average QB with the worst OL in all of college football.
TheFiatLux
Strykur said:

westcoast101 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

westcoast101 said:

Such a winnable game. This Oregon team might be the worst top 10 team I've ever seen. Still makes zero sense that they won at Ohio State. 1-5 and hopefully one step closer to dumping Wilcox.
Not even close. When Cal was ranked #2, with #1 losing, that was the worst of all time.
We had D Jax, Mack, Best, Alualu, amongst multiple other NFL players. That team was stacked.
If Tedford wasn't an obstinate ******* and played Riley instead of Longshore the rest of the way, we would have been fine going forward, coaching killed us after that night.
Yep. Riley wins that game in the Rose Bowl. And at ASU...
Strykur
Golden One said:

HoopDreams said:

Interesting on those last two play calls (and probably rest of game), Wilcox was not in the huddle with the offense during the timeouts

Calls completely by Musgrave

Wilcox is NEVER in the huddle with players and assistant coaches on the sideline. It's as though he is completely detached with the strategy and play calls. I attend every home game, and this behavior is standard for him. That's just one (of many) reason why he has to go.
The problem with being a CEO-type head coach is you need to have developed a mature understanding somewhere within the game that can be directly taken over and managed when needed, i.e. Jimbo Fisher owns the offensive playcalling, Kirby Smart at Georgia still calls the defense, etc. What the hell is Wilcox involved in at this point, he is tuned out of in-game management and his inexperience is glaring.
calumnus
WavyBear said:

bearsandgiants said:

Run was working all night so we abandoned it when we needed it most. Painful. Great effort by the Bears. One of the hardest losses to take in awhile.
I just dont understand why Musgrave gets so cute in the redzone / at goalline. its unbelievable.

I do not understand going power football with TEs driving the length of the field and then going empty backfield spread in the red zone. That is so ass backwards.
nwbear84
I like Chase and I think he puts in a lot of effort, but wouldn't you love to have Riley right now?
Big C
Golden One said:

BearForce2 said:

calumnus said:

WavyBear said:

GOD MUSGRAVE. NEVER GO EMPTY

There is no room for all those receivers. At least have a fly sweep get the defense moving the wrong way

Did you also think it would have been better to run Brooks on 4th down?
Yes. And 3rd down also.

At least running the ball, we would've had a fighting chance. Garbers or Brooks. Hell, bring in the quick, low-to-the-ground Chris Street. A misdirection, a shovel pass, just a straight ahead power run, ANYTHING but Garbers on a deep roll out, trying to connect on a 10-15 yard pass on a crowded field, to get a three yard touchdown. That was just never going to work.
BearForce2
Big C said:

Golden One said:

BearForce2 said:

calumnus said:

WavyBear said:

There is no room for all those receivers. At least have a fly sweep get the defense moving the wrong way

Yes. And 3rd down also.

At least running the ball, we would've had a fighting chance. Garbers or Brooks. Hell, bring in the quick, low-to-the-ground Chris Street. A misdirection, a shovel pass, just a straight ahead power run, ANYTHING but Garbers on a deep roll out, trying to connect on a 10-15 yard pass on a crowded field, to get a three yard touchdown. That was just never going to work.

Yes. if they ran the ball and came up short, it still would have been disappointing but I would have been able to live with that call.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
concernedparent
nwbear84 said:

I like Chase and I think he puts in a lot of effort, but wouldn't you love to have Riley right now?
Wouldn't make a difference. Those two are about as comparable as any in terms of a talent and production. Good enough to start but won't elevate a mediocre team.
dimitrig
Big C said:

Golden One said:

BearForce2 said:

calumnus said:

WavyBear said:

Yes. And 3rd down also.

Power-I formation.

We have a powerful RB, good TEs, and a QB that can also run.

calumnus
Big C said:

Golden One said:

BearForce2 said:

calumnus said:

WavyBear said:

Yes. And 3rd down also.

Absolutely need to have Brooks in there for the threat and f the run up the middle, fake that and the bootleg Garbers with the run pass option, if the receivers are covered, sprint got the pylon, if the defense come for him, throw to a TE in the back of the end zone
sonofabear51
Damn, it sucks. They played well, but after the 1Q IDK. #$%^&
Start Slowly and taper off
grrrah76
Didn't realize that we have so many football geniuses on these threads. The hatred of our coaches and players on a fan page is hard to stomach. Do you think they enjoy losing? They played their hearts out and if can't appreciate that, maybe its time to get a life.
BadNewsBear1
grrrah76 said:

Didn't realize that we have so many football geniuses on these threads. The hatred of our coaches and players on a fan page is hard to stomach. Do you think they enjoy losing? They played their hearts out and if can't appreciate that, maybe its time to get a life.
Not geniuses, just not idiots like the coaching staff.

Sorry that's so hard to stomach.
Strykur
BadNewsBear1 said:

grrrah76 said:

Not geniuses, just not idiots like the coaching staff.
To see professionals with 20+ years in their field (Musgrave) making stupid ****ing decisions continually while being well-compensated by our university is outrageous.
calumnus
grrrah76 said:

Players played their hearts out. The play calling at the end? Empty backfield? I don't blame Garbers for that not working.
nwbear84
I hate Monday morning quarterbacking as much as anyone, but when you see the poor decisions unfold real time it does make you wonder. Why go away from what is working and toward what isn't working very well?
pingpong2
nwbear84 said:

I hate Monday morning quarterbacking as much as anyone, but when you see the poor decisions unfold real time it does make you wonder. Why go away from what is working and toward what isn't working very well?
Well you see, the way it works is that when things are going well, you have to do something different because the other team is going to change tactics to defend what you were doing. In the big leagues it's called being one step ahead of the defense. 3D chess.

/s
pingpong2
71Bear
calumnus said:

grrrah76 said:

Players played their hearts out. The play calling at the end? Empty backfield? I don't blame Garbers for that not working.
"played their hearts out"? What is this, kindergarten dodge ball? I expect every player on the field regardless of which team they are on to play their ass off on every single play. I give no credit for "play their hearts out". Anything less, they should be sitting on the bench.

A former Cal athlete said it best, "You play to win the game." I would add, "not to earn a heart-shaped participation badge".

Played their hearts out…. Sheeesh…..
Big C
grrrah76 said:

Agreed it shouldn't get personal, especially vis-a-vis the players. I read some of this stuff and I just want to give Garbers a hug. That said, fans need to vent. Well, some fans.
71Bear
pingpong2 said:

Well said, Traveon….
dimitrig
pingpong2 said:

nwbear84 said:

Well you see, the way it works is that when things are going well, you have to do something different because the other team is going to change tactics to defend what you were doing. In the big leagues it's called being one step ahead of the defense. 3D chess.

/s

WavyBear
calumnus said:

WavyBear said:

bearsandgiants said:

Run was working all night so we abandoned it when we needed it most. Painful. Great effort by the Bears. One of the hardest losses to take in awhile.
I just dont understand why Musgrave gets so cute in the redzone / at goalline. its unbelievable.

I do not understand going power football with TEs driving the length of the field and then going empty backfield spread in the red zone. That is so ass backwards.
EXACTLY! Especially with the Garbers at QB. and I knew Deruyter was gonna blitz on that last play, Its funny how many times we've heard that coaches were picking up on his tendencies, I guess not the coaches that game planned with him for 4 years
calumnus
71Bear said:

pingpong2 said:

Well said, Traveon….

Musgrave was only here with Sirmon calling the plays on defense. Wilcox might have communicated that to him, but no
Basically, TDR had the advantage of knowing Cal personnel and Musgrave's tendencies, but Musgrave did not know TDR's.
grrrah76
Garbers missed a wide open Crawford in the end zone and Remeiko dropped a TD passed.....nothing wrong with those play calls. Our Oline play was less than stellar and there is still a huge speed and talent gap between us and the Ducks.
dimitrig
grrrah76 said:

Garbers missed a wide open Crawford in the end zone and Remeiko dropped a TD passed.....nothing wrong with those play calls. Our Oline play was less than stellar and there is still a huge speed and talent gap between us and the Ducks.

We can close that gap if we beat them on the field. Recruits are paying attention.

We let one slip away here.

BearForce2
calumnus said:

grrrah76 said:

Both Musgrave and Beau love the empty backfield set.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
HoopDreams
It's clear that Oregon has a great DC

Cal's defense went from zero to sixty with DTR, and when he left we suddenly got bad

And YES we should have known he was going to blitz on last play
chazzed
calumnus said:

grrrah76 said:

I'm not blaming the players either. I feel so bad for them because the coaching staff is setting them up for failure at pivotal moments.
BearForce2
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

grrrah76 said:

"played their hearts out"? What is this, kindergarten dodge ball? I expect every player on the field regardless of which team they are on to play their ass off on every single play. I give no credit for "play their hearts out". Anything less, they should be sitting on the bench.

A former Cal athlete said it best, "You play to win the game." I would add, "not to earn a heart-shaped participation badge".

Played their hearts out…. Sheeesh…..

They gave it the ol college try. if you prefer.
Big C
Big C said:

If we win this one, I hereby promise that I will never start a thread on Bear Insider entitled "Fire Musgrave!". I was going to, but I will forfeit that right forever, in exchange for a win tonight. I swear.

Silver lining: I've retained my right to start a "Fire Musgrave!" thread!
calumnus
grrrah76 said:

Hmm, which group is more likely to be geniuses, graduates of the University of California, Berkeley or three guys that went to Oregon on football scholarships?
calumnus
chazzed said:

calumnus said:

grrrah76 said:

I'm not blaming the players either. I feel so bad for them because the coaching staff is setting them up for failure at pivotal moments.

My point exactly
SBGold
And to coach this team to play so sloppy, I disagree they played their hearts out. We get up 17-10 in the fourth and in about a minute it's 17 all. That is not playing your hearts out
SonomanA1
AXLBear said:

Strykur said:

Hero or goat time, this has been a fun night either way.

Loser talk
I disagree about calling this loser talk. I was at the game. It was very exciting. I was at the 16 yard line, so I could see how hard both teams were trying at the end. I really wanted Cal to win, but this was a lot closer than I was expecting. The Oregon fans were courteous too.

Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.