Damonic Williams De-Commits

10,346 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
chazzed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WalterSobchak said:

82gradDLSdad said:

chazzed said:

NVBear78 said:

Williams recommitted to Cal

Go Bears!!!

...and de-recommited from Cal. The young man seems a bit indecisive. His loss.

In any case, go Bears!

Sounds like used car salesman Sonny did some smooth talking. I can honestly say this now: I want kids who buy what Wilcox is selling. He can explain why he turned down Oregon and decent, hardworking kids will relate. I know, pollyanna. Sue me.
It's not pollyanna, it's smart. I'm glad this kid isn't coming since he obviously didn't want to be here. From the quotes he gave TOS it's clear his family disagrees but they aren't the ones who need to go out and perform on Saturdays. He'll find out soon enough what it's like to play in a Sonny Dykes defense. Best of luck to him, he's gonna need it.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is TOS?
KoreAmBear
WalterSobchak said:

82gradDLSdad said:

chazzed said:

NVBear78 said:

Go Bears!!!

In any case, go Bears!

Sounds like used car salesman Sonny did some smooth talking. I can honestly say this now: I want kids who buy what Wilcox is selling. He can explain why he turned down Oregon and decent, hardworking kids will relate. I know, pollyanna. Sue me.
It's not pollyanna, it's smart. I'm glad this kid isn't coming since he obviously didn't want to be here. From the quotes he gave TOS it's clear his family disagrees but they aren't the ones who need to go out and perform on Saturdays. He'll find out soon enough what it's like to play in a Sonny Dykes defense. Best of luck to him, he's gonna need it.
Sonny D

Chapman_is_Gone
That container should be empty, and it should have a large crack down the middle...
WalterSobchak
The Other Site
KenBurnski
A bummer but hopefully we snag him down the road and enjoy his services during his most beastly years. Recruiting is a magical and mysterious land filled with trickery. "It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a [lady of ill repute] does for money." #GobsPlan
Strykur
He'll be available in the portal in 2 years.
Chapman_is_Gone
KenBurnski said:

A bummer but hopefully we snag him down the road and enjoy his services during his most beastly years. Recruiting is a magical and mysterious land filled with trickery. "It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a [lady of ill repute] does for money." #GobsPlan

When dude realizes in four years that he can't get a good job with a TCU degree, perhaps he'll open up a banana stand.
Econ141
These posts make me wonder whether we should de-emphasize high school recruiting and focus more on recruiting transfers via the portal.
HighlandDutch
chazzed said:

NVBear78 said:

Go Bears!!!

In any case, go Bears!
Is the consensus that he out-Loriged Erik Lorig? I always thought that was one of those unbreakable records, like Cy Young's 511 career wins, Hack Wilson's 191 RBIs in one season or Wilt Chamberlain having slept with 20,000 women, but maybe not.
71Bear
HighlandDutch said:

chazzed said:

NVBear78 said:

Go Bears!!!

In any case, go Bears!
Is the consensus that he out-Loriged Erik Lorig? I always thought that was one of those unbreakable records, like Cy Young's 511 career wins, Hack Wilson's 191 RBIs in one season or Wilt Chamberlain having slept with 20,000 women, but maybe not.
Maybe. But no one will break Blanchard's Mother's Day record. It is absolutely unreachable…..
sosheezy
71Bear said:

HighlandDutch said:

chazzed said:

NVBear78 said:

Go Bears!!!

In any case, go Bears!
Maybe. But no one with break Blanchard's Mother's Day record. It is absolutely unreachable…..
That was blast from the past! I think Caleb Swanigan on the hoops side was another dramatic fence sitter.
dimitrig
Chapman_is_Gone said:

KenBurnski said:

When dude realizes in four years that he can't get a good job with a TCU degree, perhaps he'll open up a banana stand.

There's always money in the banana stand!

calumnus
burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

Why would he decommit if he was going to choose Cal?
You ever meet a couple who broke up when they were young and then got married anyway?

The next day?
Ahem.

If Wilcox can get any winning traction at all he is going to pull recruits and assistants. What he did rejecting Oregon is a big deal.

Agree.

Oregon loses its HC to a former FBS contender looking to become a contender again. Oregon then goes all out for a quality HC. Contrary to derogatory comments
that are posted on this board, Oregon decides that Wilcox is to be its savior and values his skill set much higher than many of the posters on this board do.

Oregon can out bid Cal for Wilcox's services.
(I thought that Wilcox was gone. How likely is it that Cal can keep a HC if UO, USC or UW really wants that coach. Answer: 0% chance.)
Miracle of miracles: Wilcox stays and asks for more money……..,for his assistant coaches. Thus improving his ability to keep or hire the assistant coaches he wants.
This is a win for The assistant coaches. A win for the players. A win for Cal Football's reputation. A win for Wilcox since his reputation sky rockets. And a win for Cal. The only people who are not happy are those that wanted to fire Wilcox.

And will never, ever ever, never, ever, for a long time be happy, till eternity, will be happy.

I don't think anyone hates Wilcox, not like many hated Dykes. I think everyone likes him personally and would be ecstatic if he succeeds. The only thing that divides the fan base is the issue of how likely his success is. If you think the people who want to move on from Wilcox will never be happy it must mean you believe, like they fear, that Wilcox will be here for a long time but will never be successful.

I am happy he is using his leverage to get money to build a strong organization. I wish zyedford had done that. I would hope it was for guys better than Wilvox's Duck buddies, but it is the right thing to do. There is much to like about him. His approach and philosophy is one that I support and identify with (unlike Fox for example). Wilcox is a good fit for Cal. Most of his mistakes are football based. When he talks about it you can tell he has very little sense of offense. I'm not sure that is changing.

The only question is, are we better off trying someone new? It seems moot now. Wilcox is our coach for the foreseeable future, we can only hope the opinions of his most optimistic supporters prove true.
71Bear
calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

You ever meet a couple who broke up when they were young and then got married anyway?

The next day?
Ahem.

If Wilcox can get any winning traction at all he is going to pull recruits and assistants. What he did rejecting Oregon is a big deal.

Agree.

Oregon loses its HC to a former FBS contender looking to become a contender again. Oregon then goes all out for a quality HC. Contrary to derogatory comments
that are posted on this board, Oregon decides that Wilcox is to be its savior and values his skill set much higher than many of the posters on this board do.

(I thought that Wilcox was gone. How likely is it that Cal can keep a HC if UO, USC or UW really wants that coach. Answer: 0% chance.)
Miracle of miracles: Wilcox stays and asks for more money……..,for his assistant coaches. Thus improving his ability to keep or hire the assistant coaches he wants.
This is a win for The assistant coaches. A win for the players. A win for Cal Football's reputation. A win for Wilcox since his reputation sky rockets. And a win for Cal. The only people who are not happy are those that wanted to fire Wilcox.

And will never, ever ever, never, ever, for a long time be happy, till eternity, will be happy.

I don't think anyone hates Wilcox, not like many hated Dykes. I think everyone likes him personally and would be ecstatic if he succeeds. The only thing that divides the fan base is the issue of how likely his success is. If you think the people who want to move on from Wilcox will never be happy it must mean you believe, like they fear, that Wilcox will be here for a long time but will never be successful.

I am happy he is using his leverage to get money to build a strong organization. I wish zyedford had done that. I would hope it was for guys better than Wilvox's Duck buddies, but it is the right thing to do. There is much to like about him. His approach and philosophy is one that I support and identify with (unlike Fox for example). Wilcox is a good fit for Cal. Most of his mistakes are football based. When he talks about it you can tell he has very little sense of offense. I'm not sure that is changing.

The only question is, are we better off trying someone new? It seems moot now. Wilcox is our coach for the foreseeable future, we can only hope the opinions of his most optimistic supporters prove true.
Well said…

My only concern about him is, "Can he recruit the kind of players that will put Cal in a position to be consistently competitive with the big boys?" To date, he has not demonstrated that ability.

Big Dog
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Well said…

My only concern about him is, "Can he recruit the kind of players that will put Cal in a position to be consistently competitive with the big boys?" To date, he has not demonstrated that ability.

Exactly. The talent differential between us and UC Southern Branch and us and USC was noticeable from the 1st plays of the respective games. If the Trojans had not 'phoned it in', they would have won easily.
going4roses
Apparently the DL coach at smu who offered him came with sonny to tcu.

When it comes down to recruiting look at the head to head coaches and coordinator and HC
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Chapman_is_Gone
Big Dog said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Well said…

Exactly. The talent differential between us and UC Southern Branch and us and USC was noticeable from the 1st plays of the respective games. If the Trojans had not 'phoned it in', they would have won easily.

Next year, please let me know your analysis prior to each game so I can head to Vegas. Thanks.
FloriDreaming
GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Yah, those people who actually want to see the football program do better than occasional 7-win season. To hell with them. We have a coach who said no to Oregon, got out-recruited by all the big Pac 12 schools, including Furd, and who will continue to produce mediocre-at-best football for YEARS to come, thanks to an EXTENSION!!!

YAY!! Everyone's happy except the actual fans who value winning. But Cal has been shafting those fans for a long, long, long time. So YAY to the MEDIOCRE-BEARS. Enjoy your annual hoping for 6 wins.

...losers.

BearGoggles
HighlandDutch said:

chazzed said:

NVBear78 said:

Go Bears!!!

In any case, go Bears!
Not even close to Lorig. As I recall, the Lorig saga dragged on well past LOI day.
Bear8
The fallacy is that Wilcox and staff have recruited quality, but they can't prevent a commit from being seduced by other schools. Whatever the calling - be it close to home, big time football school, NIL guarantee, friends from high school, mom and dad or negative recruiting. These kinds of things happen at all institutions, including Bama. A recruit is told he'll never crack the starting lineup. He may as well come to LSU or Clemson and get a legitimate shot at starting. It's just something we have to live with. The portal might be a blessing in some circumstances.
calumnus
BearGoggles said:

HighlandDutch said:

chazzed said:

NVBear78 said:

Go Bears!!!

In any case, go Bears!
Not even close to Lorig. As I recall, the Lorig saga dragged on well past LOI day.

And not the new early LOI day. It lasted through the Spring.
GoldenBearofCalifornia
Big Dog said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Well said…

I agree that ucla and $c have more talent, but disagree that $c would have won easily if they did not mail it in. $c moved the ball well between to 20s for the most part and had 25 first downs, but we made more big plays and our D was very good in the red zone. $c did not phone it in on the fumble and return for a td. Hicks made a great hit on the a ball and Paster made a great play to scoop it up quickly and return it. The $c qb did not phone it in when he fumbled. Scott had great timing on the blitz and hit the qb hard. $c did not phone it in when it did not convert on 4th down. Hearns had good coverage. We re-took the lead in the second quarter and led the rest of the game. We were up 24-7 in the fourth quarter until $c scored a td at the end of the game. It may have seemed close because $c moved the ball well and we might have been expecting $c to come back, but we won by a good margin (10 points) even with the last minute td.
calumnus
GoldenBearofCalifornia said:

Big Dog said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Well said…

I agree that ucla and $c have more talent, but disagree that $c would have won easily if they did not mail it in. $c moved the ball well between to 20s for the most part and had 25 first downs, but we made more big plays and our D was very good in the red zone. $c did not phone it in on the fumble and return for a td. Hicks made a great hit on the a ball and Paster made a great play to scoop it up quickly and return it. The $c qb did not phone it in when he fumbled. Scott had great timing on the blitz and hit the qb hard. $c did not phone it in when it did not convert on 4th down. Hearns had good coverage. We re-took the lead in the second quarter and led the rest of the game. We were up 24-7 in the fourth quarter until $c scored a td at the end of the game. It may have seemed close because $c moved the ball well and we might have been expecting $c to come back, but we won by a good margin (10 points) even with the last minute td.

USC had fired their HC, the other coaches were in the midst of looking for and interviewing for their next job and USC was missing 20 players, especially senior starters with NFL prospects, who did not make the trip. It definitely would have been different if the game was played earlier as scheduled. Big thanks to the City of Berkeley for the assist!
GoldenBearofCalifornia
calumnus said:

Big Dog said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Well said…

USC had fired their HC, the other coaches were in the midst of looking for and interviewing for their next job and USC was missing 20 players, especially senior starters with NFL prospects, who did not make the trip. It definitely would have been different if the game was played earlier as scheduled. Big thanks to the City of Berkeley for the assist!

Maybe things would have been different if we played earlier, but I do not think $c phoned it in as the OP said and do not think we can just conclude $c would have won. As I mentioned, we won because we made more plays like the ones I referred to involving the fumble and td, sack of and fumble by the qb, and the stop on 4th down. $c moved the ball well, we just made plays when we had to make plays. Those were great plays by Cal (e.g., hit by Hicks) so I do not see how we can just discount that.
Rushinbear
calumnus said:

Big Dog said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Well said…

You can't say that it would have been different. That assumes that Cal would have played exactly the same game as they did. The coaches wouldn't have schemed differently. The players wouldn't have played even better. You just don't know. Speculation is a waste of time and a distraction.
going4roses
If Garbers plays vs Arizona…6 wins
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
GivemTheAxe
Big Dog said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Well said…

"Phoned it in"????
Did you even watch the game. uSC was playing hard. They were stopped by the Cal D. Dart was pretty hot most of the game. Quick and accurate
The usc receivers were good. But the Cal D was better.
Many passes were blocked or knocked down. Dart was rocked by some hard hits.
The one TD that Cal gave up early was due to a miscalculation by an overeager DB.
The Cal DB was going for a pick-6. But he mistimed his jump. Result was the receiver had a clear path for a a TD.
How many times did Cal stop USC in the red zone?
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

Big Dog said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Well said…

You can't say that it would have been different. That assumes that Cal would have played exactly the same game as they did. The coaches wouldn't have schemed differently. The players wouldn't have played even better. You just don't know. Speculation is a waste of time and a distraction.

Exactly. It is the same thing Arizona could say.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

Big Dog said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

burritos said:

GivemTheAxe said:

82gradDLSdad said:

maxer said:

bearsandgiants said:

maxer said:

WalterSobchak said:

The next day?
Ahem.

Agree.

Well said…

"Phoned it in"????
Did you even watch the game. uSC was playing hard. They were stopped by the Cal D. Dart was pretty hot most of the game. Quick and accurate
The usc receivers were good. But the Cal D was better.
Many passes were blocked or knocked down. Dart was rocked by some hard hits.
The one TD that Cal gave up early was due to a miscalculation by an overeager DB.
The Cal DB was going for a pick-6. But he mistimed his jump. Result was the receiver had a clear path for a a TD.
How many times did Cal stop USC in the red zone?

The Cal players playing Arizona played hard too.
Bobodeluxe
Participation trophies for all in attendance.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.