USC/UCLA supposedly moving to Big Ten

82,134 Views | 746 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big Dog
bear945
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[url=https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline][/url]

2m

Source: USC and UCLA are planning to leave for the Big Ten as early as 2024. Move *has not been finalized* at the highest levels of power.

MilleniaBear
GL. The NIL chaos reigns. Need to adopt a poison pill for them if they do bolt. The NIL impact is crazy - lots of QBs going to take a pay cut if they go pro early. Might be same for other skill position players. Just can't see the government keeping their hands off this.
BigDaddy
Heard some rumblings about this last week down in Los Angeles, and actually USC rumors about the B1G started right after Texas & OU bailed to the SEC.

All about $$$$, of course. And in these types of situations, you always want to be first. SC and UCLA first to the lifeboats. I'd expect other member schools like Oregon, Washington and Colorado are now working those phones.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
Strykur
Come to LA to play games in Columbus and Ann Arbor, how the **** would that work.
socaliganbear
Cal football is dead(er)
sycasey
I would take any Wilner "scoop" with a massive grain of salt, but wow.
oski003
89Bear
Strykur said:

Come to LA to play games in Columbus and Ann Arbor, how the **** would that work.
Minnesota vs fucla at the Rose Bowl will draw a whopping 24,000 fans.
rrhea
That's the end of college football as a national sport. There are now only two conferences. The Pac 10, Big 12, and ACC are now in a second division with a big gap between first division. FCS is now third division.
Bobodeluxe
This sheet is hilarious.

Strykur
rrhea said:

That's the end of college football as a national sport. There are now only two conferences. The Pac 10, Big 12, and ACC are now in a second division with a big gap between first division. FCS is now third division.
The new Big-12 could already be dead on arrival, how many of those guys are calling the PAC-12 right now?
sycasey
rrhea said:

If this happens I think I might just be done with college sports. Really.
Bobodeluxe
Strykur said:

rrhea said:

The new Big-12 could already be dead on arrival, how many of those guys are calling the PAC-12 right now?
Other way around, I think.
tequila4kapp
sycasey said:

rrhea said:

Hey, we agree on something!
Strykur
Bobodeluxe said:

Strykur said:

rrhea said:

Other way around, I think.
We still have the rights to Rose, unless some members think that does not matter.
Growler
rrhea said:

College football is now a national sport!!!

Schools that embrace the marketplace to compete with the goal of winning national championships are the schools that will both survive-and-thrive.

Cal uses its college football program as a revenue generator to support its other sports' programs; Cal does not invest the resources into its college football program so that the program can compete to win, but rather just to survive.
BigDaddy
sycasey said:

I would take any Wilner "scoop" with a massive grain of salt, but wow.
Already being confirmed by other outlets.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
Bobodeluxe
The going away game with UCLA this thanksgiving weekend will be an honor to attend.
eastcoastcal
If this is the case, hopefully Kliavkov has some sort of measure to keep it from happening (or poison pill). More importantly, Cal needs to figure out our future. Cal/Furd possibly as a package to another conference?

If Knowlton is worth a penny he should've heard rumbling of this through his network and should have been preparing & readying the department to explore opportunities for ourselves.
BearSD
eastcoastcal
sycasey said:

rrhea said:

USC/UCLA leaving would sincerely kill Cal sports interest. If this happens, besides Furd, I don't really care about the conference at all. I already follow SEC/B10 on a more national level, this move would fully destroy my interest in the Pac.

And lets be honest, once USC/UCLA go, Oregon & the Arizonas are probably on their way out too
oskithepimp
I'm all for college football splitting into two leagues:

1. Minor League NFL: SEC, Big 10, and the other big money teams.

2. A new college football l;eague that returns to the regional tradition and rivalries between universities. Sure, the level of competition would be significantly lower than the Minor League NFL, but the college gameday experience that we all loved as football fans could return. And with some good planning, I can envision a great league with four-ish regional conferences that could then playoff with each other for a championship. It's essentially like the FCS now (or college baseball), but dramatically expanded.

I want Cal in #2. We can't survive in #1. Nor do I think we'll be invited.
BearSD
eastcoastcal said:

sycasey said:

rrhea said:

USC/UCLA leaving would sincerely kill Cal sports interest. If this happens, besides Furd, I don't really care about the conference at all. I already follow SEC/B10 on a more national level, this move would fully destroy my interest in the Pac.

And lets be honest, once USC/UCLA go, Oregon & the Arizonas are probably on their way out too

Probably not. The idea is to maximize $ with as few new members as possible. The Big Ten optimizes its revenue per member by adding only UCLA and USC. Everyone else is up the creek without a paddle.
Bobodeluxe
Fuskies, too.

Bring in Davis, directional Washingtons, SLO, pay Humbolt State and St. Mary's to restart phooey ball, and we are on top of the world!
eastcoastcal
I dont mean theyre headed to the B10, necessarily. I just don't think they stick around in the Pac. Why would a national power like Oregon stay? I'm sure the Arizonas can also make a compelling case to be added to another conference. The Big12 has a lot of teams near Arizona.
Bobodeluxe
oskithepimp said:

2. A new college football l;eague that returns to the regional tradition and rivalries between universities. Sure, the level of competition would be significantly lower than the Minor League NFL, but the college gameday experience that we all loved as football fans could return. And with some good planning, I can envision a great league with four-ish regional conferences that could then playoff with each other for a championship. It's essentially like the FCS now (or college baseball), but dramatically expanded.

I buy what the pimp is selling!
socaliganbear
oskithepimp said:

I don't think we can survive in #2 either, not without cutting most of our athletics department and the university taking on 100% of the stadium debt.
BearSD
eastcoastcal said:

I dont mean theyre headed to the B10, necessarily. I just don't think they stick around in the Pac. Why would a national power like Oregon stay? I'm sure the Arizonas can also make a compelling case to be added to another conference. The Big12 has a lot of teams near Arizona.

The Big 12 is just as scrooed. They are losing the only two teams casual fans know or care about.
Bobodeluxe
An abortion available league might attract some recruits.
WhipItOutJoe
The real question is will the mathematically challenged Big 10 still be the Big Ten once they have 16 (or more) teams? I hate the B1G thing (and I grew up a Michigan fan).

Also, Cal to the Ivy League. May as well if the conferences will have teams all over the country.
oskithepimp
WhipItOutJoe said:

The real question is will the mathematically challenged Big 10 still be the Big Ten once they have 16 (or more) teams? I hate the B1G thing (and I grew up a Michigan fan).

Also, Cal to the Ivy League. May as well if the conferences will have teams all over the country.
I kind of like this. Cal/Furd to the Ivy League. But, then when we start losing, how do we blame our focus on academics...
eastcoastcal
Bobodeluxe said:

oskithepimp said:

I buy what the pimp is selling!
I see where you're coming from but honestly I don't think its financially viable nor would I really care if Cal is competing for Mickey Mouse league titles in option 2. I already don't particularly care about the PAC. USC/UCLA leaving, combined with the likelihood that Furd/Oregon/Arizonas are gone too (lets be honest why would they stay) gives me very, very little incentive to care about us beating some random tier-2s of the country. Just being honest.
eastcoastcal
WhipItOutJoe said:

I don't know if this was jokingly but I'm entirely serious this is the only non-tier-1 option I think I'd go for. If we can't play in the big leagues might as well have the academic association of an Ivy.
parentswerebears
sycasey said:

rrhea said:

I am thinking the same. It's just not interesting anymore.
oskithepimp
Bobodeluxe said:

Fuskies, too.

Bring in Davis, directional Washingtons, SLO, pay Humbolt State and St. Mary's to restart phooey ball, and we are on top of the world!
If there's a split in CFB with a big money league, there will be a lot of decent schools that get left in the dust to form their own league:

Most of the remaining Big 12
Most of the remaining Big 10
Most of the remaining ACC
The Mountain West
Most of the remaining Pac-12
The dredges of the SEC

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.